For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Still bothers me that "chintzy" as a word for "cheap" never occurred to me. Don Cherry uses that word all the time, and I found myself saying it several times while watching (hockey) games over the next few days...
I thought it was a Yiddish term, so I ruled it out.
Yes, there's gas in the car.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

econgator wrote:Did any of us get that Woolworth question yesterday? I sure didn't.
Yes.
Back in the pool

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

kickerofelves wrote:So, yesterday was my first (and hopefully not only) drinking-of-the-beer of the season.

Don't ask me where precisely I pulled 'Jules et Jim' out of... :?
As I posted over there, I very nearly pulled it out of a song I knew, but convinced myself to make the first name Gilles in light of my questioning how "zhool" would be spelled.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

It figures ...

For the Classical Music question, I put DC al coda, which was considered incorrect -- as it probably should be. I should have just spelled it out, but for whatever reason I didn't.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I got probably the worst neg of my LL career today (and, of course, it cost me the match)

I saw the sine wave graph. I saw where the green line peaked. I saw 2.5, but my brain registered it at 1.5. I put down 1.5. I couldn't finish my submission right then and went back later. But for some reason the page timed out or something, and I had to start the process again. I remembered the answers I put down before, put down 1.5 again, checked the graph again. *Still* saw 2.5, registered as 1.5. Hit submit. Lost the match.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yesterday was an emotional roller coaster for me. After reading the questions and realizing that a 9(6) was within my reach, I royally screwed the pooch with a misread and a bad call on the Fortune 500 question. Today, I wake up to find out that my opponent forfeited the match, so my brain cramps didn't matter. I can't say that I feel particularly good about this turn of events, but I feel less angry with myself at least.

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I need to brush up on Texas geography. Ironically, I would have done better answering too fast. I misread the question as involving the border with Mexico and El Paso seemed obvious. Then I read it again, saw it was New Mexico, and changed my answer... :oops:

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Thanks to Paucle for my 3-pointer on logorrhea, boosting me to a 4(3)-3(3) win. :)

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Defense won me that one, 3(2)-2(3). (Shot myself in the foot on a couple of the other ones.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Probably surprisingly for those who know me, I never read anything by Gogol (although I'd probably enjoy it, he's sort of the Russian Mark Twain), so I couldn't tell if the novel described was Inspector General or Dead Souls. I chose the former based on "former mid-level government official". In hindsight, "get-rich-quick scheme" was the hint. Reddpen played perfect defense, and somehow I still won. Whew, I was afraid they ate more Italian-named desserts in Seattle.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote:Probably surprisingly for those who know me, I never read anything by Gogol (although I'd probably enjoy it, he's sort of the Russian Mark Twain), so I couldn't tell if the novel described was Inspector General or Dead Souls. I chose the former based on "former mid-level government official". In hindsight, "get-rich-quick scheme" was the hint. Reddpen played perfect defense, and somehow I still won. Whew, I was afraid they ate more Italian-named desserts in Seattle.
I made the same error. After dismissing Pushkin because of the novel aspect, I said "Gogol - government official: Inpector General". Oops. Against a 9(6) that proved fatal.

FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

I have "Zabaglione" written on the wall of my cube, and still I lost to Vermonter. I'll be damned.

EDIT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XIQuOGgE3I press 9

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

fyi, the inspector general is a play; dead souls is a novel. (also, inspector general is good, but dead souls is great. but that information is less likely to help you get a trivia question right.)

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

gnash wrote:Probably surprisingly for those who know me, I never read anything by Gogol (although I'd probably enjoy it, he's sort of the Russian Mark Twain), so I couldn't tell if the novel described was Inspector General or Dead Souls. I chose the former based on "former mid-level government official". In hindsight, "get-rich-quick scheme" was the hint. Reddpen played perfect defense, and somehow I still won. Whew, I was afraid they ate more Italian-named desserts in Seattle.
Perfect defense perhaps, but fatally flawed offense (putting the lie to that sports truism, just this once): like about 1/3 of LLamas, I misread the Cono Sur question as asking for one country and put Uruguay. Would've been sweet to knock Sven down from second, and lord knows I could've used the win. Should've read more carefully.

MesserE is paucle?
Back in the pool

UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

That brings up an interesting point. Who are you all on LL? Curious if another boardie is in the same Rookie Rundle (Frontier 2) with me.

I'm FriedmanJ.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

UniquePerspective wrote:That brings up an interesting point. Who are you all on LL? Curious if another boardie is in the same Rookie Rundle (Frontier 2) with me.

I'm FriedmanJ.
My user name is a secret. :) (But I'm not a rookie.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

reddpen wrote:
Perfect defense perhaps, but fatally flawed offense (putting the lie to that sports truism, just this once): like about 1/3 of LLamas, I misread the Cono Sur question as asking for one country and put Uruguay. Would've been sweet to knock Sven down from second, and lord knows I could've used the win. Should've read more carefully.
Yeah, I was wondering how you would not either know or figure out what Cono Sur was. Now it makes sense. I've misread my share of questions...

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

UniquePerspective wrote:That brings up an interesting point. Who are you all on LL? Curious if another boardie is in the same Rookie Rundle (Frontier 2) with me.

I'm FriedmanJ.
SinclairS

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I'm a rookie, in Central 2. I'm MercerI

kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

dhkendall wrote:

I'm FriedmanJ.
My user name is a secret. :) (But I'm not a rookie.)
That is one *poorly* kept secret. :lol:

I'm HolquistA, Metro C.