For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by jjwaymee »

Group 30. 4(4)-3(3) victory for me. Do you think they would have just accepted "Chicago"? I knew that's where it was, but was thinking it was named after someone and put Rockefeller (I have no explanation, it just sounded good). At least it didn't cost me the match.
Hey me too! And we play each other on Wednesday.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, that was certainly ... interesting. An 8(4)-4(4) victory. What happens when perfect defense meets perfectly imperfect defense. I could have sworn that was L.L. Bean.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My apologies to anyone who suffered a crisis of conscious over Bond D10Q3 yesterday. I considered removing my avatar for the day, but decided that would only have brought more attention to it. (And it's not like I can change my name)

Also, I audibly squeed when I saw the question.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

In a perverse way, it's kind of comforting to know that my first ever 0(0) in LL was moot since my opponent AP recorded a 9(6) anyway :lol:
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Bitter that I put King's Island instead of Cedar Point, which would have given me two straight perfect scores. I was thinking Ohio and roller coasters, which is Cedar Point, but the water put my mind on King's Island and I didn't rethink it.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mark Maron and Sarah Koenig? I can't believe so many people go that one. Don't you hate it when there's a question that's a total stumper for you, but turns out most people know it?
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Mark Maron and Sarah Koenig? I can't believe so many people go that one. Don't you hate it when there's a question that's a total stumper for you, but turns out most people know it?
You should listen to more podcasts! Both of their shows are great.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Mark Maron and Sarah Koenig? I can't believe so many people go that one. Don't you hate it when there's a question that's a total stumper for you, but turns out most people know it?
I recognized Sarah Koenig as the host of that podcast thingy that people seemed to follow (I had listened to about 6 episodes of "Serial", but the title escaped me when answering). I couldn't remember her name, and didn't recognize the guy on the left. Could he be Ira Glass? Serial was spun out from This American Life, so maybe?

I too am impressed that 63% of LLamas could identify podcasters, and that it is considered "American Places" to be able to do so.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jfrumkin wrote:
You should listen to more podcasts! Both of their shows are great.
You could have left out the word "more" and it would be applicable to me!
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

boson wrote:
I recognized Sarah Koenig as the host of that podcast thingy that people seemed to follow (I had listened to about 6 episodes of "Serial", but the title escaped me when answering). I couldn't remember her name, and didn't recognize the guy on the left. Could he be Ira Glass? Serial was spun out from This American Life, so maybe?

I too am impressed that 63% of LLamas could identify podcasters, and that it is considered "American Places" to be able to do so.
They were shown in their workplaces and (while I can't speak as much to WBEZ, though it has launched a lot of popular shows) Maron's garage is iconic in the podcasting world.

On a side note about the Bond ML, my LLama coworker pointed out the standings in Group 32, where someone with either 52 right or 53 right as of this morning is going to miss the one-day. Luck of the draw in those groups, but that stinks when you look at my group where I have a very good shot of getting to the one-day with 24 right, as of this morning.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Heck, I never even heard of 'em!
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

1-1-0 so far. Got 8(5) yesterday -- would have been a sixpack, but my Kosman Koin spat out Carter. And I had to get Cabela's, given that the only Cabela's in Massachusetts opened at the top of my street four months ago.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Volante wrote:My apologies to anyone who suffered a crisis of conscious over Bond D10Q3 yesterday. I considered removing my avatar for the day, but decided that would only have brought more attention to it. (And it's not like I can change my name)

Also, I audibly squeed when I saw the question.
I'd wager anyone who knows the name of the boat also knows the name of the villain, so they could answer with a clear conscience (a wager which is just speculation and for which I have no evidentiary support). :P

Just for myself, I consider myself a strong Bond player and knew it was Largo's boat instantly, but I did not know the name of the boat, and I don't think seeing your avatar would have helped me - it would never have occurred to me to necessarily tie it to Thunderball.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:
Heck, I never even heard of 'em!
Me neither. I guess Delilah, the woman who hosts the syndicated show that plays live songs, though the woman in the picture was much too young.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I have listened to all of Serial, but I had never before seen Sarah Koenig. I guessed Terry Gross, another NPRnik whom I had never seen. I also never knew that Cedar Point was on an actual point in a body of water. People have boats on Lake Erie?! For the three nice weekends per year?

(Incidentally, anyone who listened to Serial must listen to Undisclosed: The State v. Adnan Syed. It's mind-blowing. Virtually everything you thought you knew about the case turns out to be wrong.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I thought "Everybody knows Marc Maron!" and gave that question a 0. My opponent apparently though "He won't know who either of these people are!" and gave it a 3. Of course, I returned the favor on question 6. (The only things I go into Cabela's for are small tackle boxes for board game bits.)

I could have sworn Burning Man was in California!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I have listened to all of Serial, but I had never before seen Sarah Koenig. I guessed Terry Gross, another NPRnik whom I had never seen. I also never knew that Cedar Point was on an actual point in a body of water. People have boats on Lake Erie?! For the three nice weekends per year?

(Incidentally, anyone who listened to Serial must listen to Undisclosed: The State v. Adnan Syed. It's mind-blowing. Virtually everything you thought you knew about the case turns out to be wrong.)
I had heard of Undisclosed, but forgot to download it, so thanks for the reminder. I probably wouldn't have gotten Koenig if it wasn't for SNL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXbJjuZqbc
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote:
That's what I did. I listened to all of Serial, but all I could hear in my mind was, "This is Sarah .................". Crap, I can't remember he last name. Ok, what's that guy from TAL. Ira Glass! Yeah, that's got to be him.

*sigh*

On the plus side, I had never heard of Undisclosed, so that'll go on the download list.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I obviously haven't done basic math on a long time. Some please explain the footprint to me.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote:I obviously haven't done basic math on a long time. Some please explain the footprint to me.

Area of a triangle is 1/2 base times height. Here we have the height, but we need to find the base. You can use trigonometry to get an exact figure, hence the 11250√3 listed as the answer, but for most people it's much easier to just the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the missing side. a^2 + b^2 = c^2, with c being the longest side.

So, we need to find the length of side X, we use 150^2+X^2=300^2. Without a calculator, this is not the easiest thing for many people, but it helps to drop the last zero off each number, giving you

15^2+X^2=30^2
225+X^2=900
X^2=675

From here, you have to either have some perfect squares memorized, or do some guessing and checking. It turns out that 26 squared is 676, so since we only have to get an answer within 3%, 26 is plenty close enough, so adding back the zero that I dropped, the 3 sides of the triangle are now 150, 260, and 300. So back to the area of a triangle, it's simply 1/2 times 150 times 260, which comes out to 19,500, just a shade off of the near-exact answer of 19,486.