Tuesday, November 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billy pilgrim » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 pm

stevo4212 wrote:Archery? You mean the georgeous swimming team, singing Call Me Maybe wasn't enough?

Speaking of Hunger Games, in the second movie, you're going to meet a character named Finnick. You know which other character was very similar to Finnick, quite apparently the inspiration for the character?
Does he dream of large women?
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

Andromus

Post by Andromus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:39 pm

I know very little about The Hunger Games, but recalling all the interest it generated about archery around the time the first film was being hyped was enough to get by here.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:26 am

stevo4212 wrote:Archery? You mean the georgeous swimming team, singing Call Me Maybe wasn't enough?
The key word was cable. Swimming was on NBC.

CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 am

Remembering that boxing was carried on CNBC, I went with that.

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
The key word was cable. Swimming was on NBC.
Cable did help me... made me try to think of "lower profile" sports.

Reference to the first week of competition made me think I could also rule out sports that typically fall late in the calendar, and maybe also team sports (since the medal games would come later). Synchro is always a second week sport, after Swimming uses the pool in the first week.

I first thought of shooting, knowing that always starts early, that led to archery, at which point the movie link became clear.

On another note, it seems like there was an edit on the Orff clue? I'm guessing the contestant said "O Fortuna", only to have Alex say "no", expecting to hear "Carmina Burana".

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:06 am

For FJ I went with Rugby.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:Could've run Fashion, but I clammed on capri and tweed, and knew only that the hat began with "clo". I probably would've negged with "clochet" or something.
If you said "clochet" Frenchly with a silent T, they'd probably let you get away with it.

Oh, first place won with $500 in the last game; I'd better leave $1,000 to keep that from happening again! Between that and wagering $2,200 on the late DD while $2,400 off second, he must have preferred third place.

I was sure my Teachers Tournament FJ streak would end when I saw the category, but on the clue reveal, somehow my head went straight to the right place.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:46 am

harrumph wrote:For FJ I went with Rugby.
Oh come on, you couldn't at least name an Olympic sport...like Skateboarding? (Okay, in your defense, Rugby Sevens was added for the 2016 Olympics, and in Anne's defense, roller sports was under consideration to be added as well.)

Boxing is certainly a solid guess, as it has been carried primarily on CNBC in the past several Olympics, and there are frequently movies being made about the sport.

I remember hearing about the Archery ratings, and I can find many online articles from August 2012 mentioning that NBC touted Archery in a conference call as the top sport on cable, averaging 1.5 million viewers daily. I think that average may have been boosted heavily by a one-time spike, but I can't find any evidence to confirm this.

On the first Saturday of the Olympics, the U.S. Men's Archery team surprisingly qualified for the finals, and I remember that NBC altered its programming schedule in order to show the final round live. I don't remember which cable channel it was on, probably NBC Sports, and I don't know what was supposed to be originally airing there. I'm pretty sure that I remember reading somewhere shortly afterward that the Archery finals drew a huge rating, as NBC heavily promoted on twitter and on all their TV channels that the U.S. team would be going for a gold medal, and that the finals would be covered live.

However, my googling is coming up empty, as I can't seem to find anything confirming my recollection, nor any mention of how many viewers there were for that particular Archery match, only the average for the whole week as reported by NBC.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

earendel

Post by earendel » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:51 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Recent books and film" had me going nowhere. I even thought of The Hunger Games but was unaware that archery was in it.
I thought of The Hunger Games and knew it had archery. I almost went with it. But ultimately I stuck with my first answer. Quidditch.
Quidditch was my first thought also, but The Hunger Games came right afterward.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:53 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:All I can say is thank God for the movie poster featuring Jennifer Lawrence with a bow. Haven't read the books or seen the movie, but that was enough to trigger archery in my head for FJ.
She had a bow? :mrgreen:

I do remember that the ratings were very high for archery, partially because of the Hunger Games connection, partially because of the blind Chinese medalist, partially because some US participants did well, and partially because NBC aired a lot of it because many of the archery events ran early in the Olympics and that's what they aired.
BigDaddyJ wrote:Very amused to see "Blurred Lines" and Robin Thicke come up today. I got that only because of the conversation this morning over in the TD168 thread. Had never heard of the song before today.
I have a few Robin Thicke songs on my I-whasis, including Blurred Lines. And if you want an aural treat, go to YouTube and see the mashup of this tune with Quincy Jones' Street Beater. (You'll know the latter song from it's use in a famous 1970s TV show.) The dang thing fits all too well.

Leander

Post by Leander » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:21 am

Turd Ferguson wrote:
On another note, it seems like there was an edit on the Orff clue? I'm guessing the contestant said "O Fortuna", only to have Alex say "no", expecting to hear "Carmina Burana".
I agree, and I think the contestant had the more accurate answer to the clue, since Carmina Burana is the larger work, parts of which are not well known.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Bamaman wrote:Bad wager by Becky but was able to come up with the win. She had a crush over Patrick, so why go all in? In a regular game it has some benefit by getting you more money, but there is zero reason to bet more than necessary in a tournament game.

In Patrick's spot I'd have bet $2,400. It tops the leader's MSBIW score and can win on a sole solve if Becky had made the MSB.

When I read the clue I decided right away it probably wasn't a high profile sport. So what could it be Quiddich did cross my mind, but even though the clue didn't say it had to be an actual Olympic sport, I tossed that one aside.

So what sport was in books and movies? Nothing I've read or seen. Not sure why archery came to mind, maybe being close to the front of the alphabet helped. I thought of the Hunger Games, even though I'm not really sure what that's about. Time was running out and I couldn't come up with anything better. since my name isn't TPH, I did not leave it blank and was rewarded with an unlikely get.
Becky and Patrick both made lousy, needlessly-large wagers, although the sole get made it moot. I wonder, based on the Monday and Tuesday performances, if we're destined to see a tournament final decided by even more horrible wagering. I hope not, but at this rate....

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm

naurae29 wrote:For the "Sounds like Football" clue about investment income, I said "quarterback." The answer was "return." Quick poll: would they have accepted my answer? (Full disclosure, since the archive doesn't have this up yet: the word "back" was in the clue.)
It might be a bit of a stretch, but since it could be technically possible to get a return of exactly 25 cents on an investment, if I were a judge on the show, I would really want to give it to you. I'd want to err on the side of generosity in cases of cleverness.

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:57 pm

naurae29 wrote:For the "Sounds like Football" clue about investment income, I said "quarterback." The answer was "return." Quick poll: would they have accepted my answer? (Full disclosure, since the archive doesn't have this up yet: the word "back" was in the clue.)
Not sure how they'd rule it, but I'd give it to you for cleverness alone.

CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:20 pm

For the clue in the "Sounds Like Football" category about a sharp surge in electricity, I said "rush." Judges, what do you think?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Mom looked at me funny when I got "O Fortuna". My response? "I'll take Things I Learned on TV Tropes for $1,000, Alex."
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:34 pm

stevo4212 wrote:Speaking of Hunger Games, in the second movie, you're going to meet a character named Finnick. You know which other character was very similar to Finnick, quite apparently the inspiration for the character?
No. Which character?

Blue-Eyed Lady

Post by Blue-Eyed Lady » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 pm

CrunchyTaco wrote:For the clue in the "Sounds Like Football" category about a sharp surge in electricity, I said "rush." Judges, what do you think?
Hmm, shaking my head on this one. I don't recall hearing or seeing the term "rush" as applied to electricity. Might be something obscure, you never know, but I'm not so sure.

davey

Post by davey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:50 pm

A good FJ clue, I suppose, since you had to put a couple of things together, but I came nowhere near it. After rejecting quidditch, you'd think I'd switch to another blockbuster not-quite-grown-up movie that I saw after I read the book, but no. The best I could come up with was Moneyball, book and movie. And yes, I was vaguely aware that baseball might not be part of the Olympics anymore...but I had nothing else...

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:25 am

I was fooled by the FJ clue. I thought (a) that the books/film were about the sport, and (b) that the books and film were separate entities, so I was stuck trying to think of a sport that'd be so popular that someone would write a book about it and someone else would make a movie about it independently.

Of course, I couldn't think of anything, so also went with swimming just to have something.