Monday, July 25, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 25, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mennoknight » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:Was the $200 book (the first clue) one that I should have heard of, because I certainly haven't.
What is the Chabon book about? I have no idea.
Comics and Nazis, it's Chabon after all.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:12 am

mam418 wrote: I want the one that was a gun that shoots the hours. :mrgreen:
You could use it to shoot the clue writer that came up with "peaceability."

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:21 am

For those of you who want to read the twitter feed.... http://twitter.com/#!/thejonovanshow

(Hehehe. it says he's full of poop and attitude. :lol: )

jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:51 am

mam418 wrote:For those of you who want to read the twitter feed.... http://twitter.com/#!/thejonovanshow

(Hehehe. it says he's full of poop and attitude. :lol: )
So am I on a bad day.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:47 pm

dhkendall wrote:
mam418 wrote:I got FJ immediately. (I don't think we have to spoiler tag - the whole thread is marked spoiler). I really don't think there was anything else it could be.
Oh, there's plenty it could be (not even counting whatever out-of-left-field guess TPH had), like the Encyclopedia Britannica (my answer) for one. Granted, I couldn't really think of anything that could really fit the title (wasn't much TOM there), upon reveal I figured that the OED had more of a chance of having a book about it than the EB, but both were still remote shots for being written about in my book (no pun intended)
Now I don't feel bad, I also went Encyclopedia Britannica, but its sort of biased since I write for its popular replacement. :)
Avatar: Mickey's Hot Dogs - Greenburgh, NY (1929 - present)

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
mam418 wrote:I got FJ immediately. (I don't think we have to spoiler tag - the whole thread is marked spoiler). I really don't think there was anything else it could be.
Oh, there's plenty it could be (not even counting whatever out-of-left-field guess TPH had), like the Encyclopedia Britannica (my answer) for one. Granted, I couldn't really think of anything that could really fit the title (wasn't much TOM there), upon reveal I figured that the OED had more of a chance of having a book about it than the EB, but both were still remote shots for being written about in my book (no pun intended)
Now I don't feel bad, I also went Encyclopedia Britannica, but its sort of biased since I write for its popular replacement. :)
Heck, I really was out in left field. I went with the Roget's Thesaurus.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote: Now I don't feel bad, I also went Encyclopedia Britannica, but its sort of biased since I write for its popular replacement. :)
Heck, I really was out in left field. I went with the Roget's Thesaurus.
When I started reading the clue, and saw the title, "The Meaning of Everything" I started off with "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? Then I hit the 'reference' part of the clue, "Well...If I had a lock game..." :lol:

Then I switched to serious mode. Went EB confidently but the use of 'Meaning' nagged at me, so, despite the long held belief of staying with your first guess, I switched to OED and kept justifying it to myself the remainder of the music.

(Hmm...apparently 3 nested quotes is the max...)

Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Post by Uncle Jeff » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:05 pm

alamble wrote:I had "kelp" for "seaweed" in the "Are you eating?" category. Judges, what say ye?
IMU that kelp is just another type of seaweed, so it would be negged unless the clue happened to be about a subtype of kelp itself (if the clue described a pansy, and the intended response were "flower", then "orchid" would probably be wrong).

I too lost a coin flip with EB on FJ :oops:
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:17 pm

barandall800 wrote:Said "bold-faced" for "bald-faced" and eventually gave myself credit (I'm curious to see whether I was accurate in doing so or not...).
I'd go with "acceptable".

NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:16 pm

I am, as usual recently, a day behind, so I just saw this episode. I was sorry to see Maggie lose; I liked her. I was also sorry to see her DD bet, not that it would have made a difference in the end. And I would have missed the DD, since I couldn't remember even what country was in question, and I would have flailed "Pyongyang."

For FJ!, I just had "dictionary" nearly up until the timpanis at the end, but then added "Oxford English" when it occurred to me that they probably wouldn't call a category of reference book a "reference classic."