Wednesday, December 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6728, 2013-12-11

CONTESTANTS
Sam Bernhard, a student originally from Blacksburg, Virginia
Donna Fairweather-Foley, a retired police officer from Huntington, New York
Meredith Larson, an attorney from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, johnny. Hello, everyone, and welcome to our show. Meredith, the returning champion, made a little error in Final Jeopardy! on yesterday's program. Didn't cost her too much, though. She has close to 20 grand to show for her win. Donna and Sam are the newcomers. So, good luck to all of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, and here come the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (4/5)
POP QUIZ (5/5)
IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS (5/5)
THAT WORD SMARTS! (5/5)
CAESAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SALAD (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W
Donna: 9 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W
Meredith: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Donna: $2,600
Meredith: $1,000
Sam: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Like our champion Meredith, Sam Bernhard also plays soccer. But the champ, as you heard on yesterday's program, doesn't think she plays well. You, however, must play pretty well.

Sam: I do. I play in college for my team at Oberlin, Aand when I was in high school, I actually traveled to Sweden and Denmark to play in the world's largest youth soccer tournament.

Alex: How did you guys do?

Sam: We did okay. We lost to a team from Colombia and a team from Sweden, but we beat some other teams from Europe.

Alex: All right. Good for you. Keep it up.

Alex: Donna Fairweather-Foley from Huntington, New York. Good news for you --your response of "Capri" a few minutes ago has been judged acceptable.

Donna: Thank you.

Alex: So your score is going to go up. And now tell me about your work as a police officer. How many years?

Donna: I was 21 years as a police officer with Nassau County police, which is out on Long Island.

Alex: You met your husband there.

Donna: I met my husband, Jerry, first day at the police academy. We married about six years later, and fortunately, we never had to work together. I was on patrol for a number of years and then ended up in the public information department, where I acted as a liaison between the police department and the media.

Alex: So you've done it all.

Donna: Yeah. Little bit.

Alex: Good for you.

Donna: Thank you.

Alex: We appreciate your work.

Alex: Meredith Larson, an attorney from Washington, D.C. Not only does she play soccer, she has taken up woodworking.

Meredith: Yes, I have, Alex.

Alex: How good are you at it?

Meredith: Well, I still have all my fingers, so...

Alex: What kind of woodworking are we talking about?

Meredith: Well, I built a small bookshelf and a side table.

Alex: Okay, and you do this work at home, or do you attend classes for it?

Meredith: No. I attend classes. I'm certainly not capable of operating power tools without supervision.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. You know something? That same thing could apply to me.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Meredith found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Meredith had $1,800, Donna had $5,400, and Sam was at $3,400. Meredith made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

CAESAR $800: If he'd been emperor of Egypt, his name would have been Nileius

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SALAD $200: How about one
of these Mexican salads? Its name means "toasted"
(Sam: What is tortilla?)
(Donna: What is tostado?)

SALAD $600: Add some crunch to your salad with this white-fleshed veggie also called a Mexican potato

SALAD $1000: This "colorful" salad dressing was created in San Francisco in the 1920s & named for a play

A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT $1000: In the south of this state, the Atchafalaya River empties into Atchafalaya Bay

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Donna: $5,400
Meredith: $4,600
Sam: $3,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"P"s ON EARTH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AUDIO BOOK PERFORMERS (2/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RECENT HISTORY (5/5)
THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY (4/5)
THE BONE IDENTITY (5/5)
WORDS IN ASIAN COUNTRIES (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be found within the name of a country that we allude to in our clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Meredith: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Donna: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sam: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Donna snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Meredith had $4,600, Donna had $5,800, and Sam was at $3,400. Donna wagered $1,800.

"P"s ON EARTH $800: The grave of this founder of a U.S. state is at Old Jordans Cemetery, Buckinghamshire, England

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Meredith who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Meredith had $19,400, Donna had $11,200, and Sam was at $5,400. Meredith wagered $1,000.

AUDIO BOOK PERFORMERS $1600: Andrew Sachs, who played a Spaniard among Brits on "Fawlty Towers", reads this 1859 "tale" of a Brit among the French

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY $1600: In 1957 Buddy topped the charts with a hit with this title, a line repeatedly spoken by John Wayne in "The Searchers"
(Sam: What is "Oh, Boy"?)

WORDS IN ASIAN COUNTRIES $1200: An open space in Dhaka's forest
(Sam: [no response])
(Donna: What is a glen?)

AUDIO BOOK PERFORMERS $400: Monty Python's Terry Jones says of this pre-Shakespeare poet, "once you get past the spelling, he speaks so clearly"
(Sam: Who's Marlowe?)
(Alex: Back to you, Meredith, with less than a minute to go.)

AUDIO BOOK PERFORMERS $2000: Natascha McElhone interprets the poems of this British poet, sister of Dante Gabriel

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Meredith: $21,600
Donna: $11,200
Sam: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS TERM HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Meredith: Wager $801 to cover Donna, but no more than $10,799 so as not to fall behind Sam's doubled score.
Donna: You have the hope of surpassing Meredith if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,401 to force Meredith to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Sam.
Sam: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After throwing a long, last-second touchdown in 1975, Roger Staubach said, "I closed my eyes & said" this

FINAL SCORES
Sam: $5,400 + $5,400 = $10,800 (What is a hail mary?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Donna: $11,200 + $11,000 = $22,200 (What is Hail Mary?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Meredith: $21,600 + $1,201 = $22,801 (What is Hail Mary?) (2-day champion: $42,701)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Meredith: $21,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Donna: $10,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sam: $5,400, 17 R, 7 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Meredith: 19/60 = .317
Sam: 18/58 = .310
Donna: 18/59 = .305
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THAT WORD SMARTS! $1000: "Are you going to Scarborough Fair?" Then you better bring "parsley", this, "rosemary & thyme"
(Sam: What are shears?)

SALAD $400: This salad of tomatoes & mozzarella gets its name from an island near the Bay of Naples
(Sam: What is bruschetta?)
(Donna: What is Capri?)
[Donna's response was initially ruled correct but was reversed after the first commercial break.]

POP QUIZ $400: You might notice a slight resemblance between the beautiful boy seen here and this guy, his proud pop

IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS $800: The right "of the people peaceably to" do this, gather together
(Sam: What is assembly?)

A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT $600: Each year at Titusville, New Jersey, you can see a reenactment of the crossing of this river
(Meredith: What is the Trenton?)

POP QUIZ $1000: He fathered baseball * Barry Bonds
[Alex reads "*" as "star".]

"P"s ON EARTH $1200: The U.S. sped up its pullout from Luzon's Clark Air Force Base after this volcano's 1991 eruption
(Donna: What is Mount Pinatabo?)

"P"s ON EARTH $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Eataly in New York.) Pandoro in Verona and pandolce in Genoa are also Christmas specialties, but the best known edible symbol of an Italian Christmas is this Milanese treat eaten the world over

"P"s ON EARTH $2000: Most species of this small mammal live in high areas of Asia

AUDIO BOOK PERFORMERS $1200: This amazon.com subsidiary .com has an A-list collection that includes Anne Hathaway reading L. Frank Baum
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Tiberius
tostada
jicama
green goddess
Louisiana
William Penn
A Tale of Two Cities
"That'll Be The Day"
a glade (in Bangladesh)
Geoffrey Chaucer
Christina Rossetti
Hail Mary
sage
Caprese
John Lennon
assemble
the Delaware
Bobby Bonds
Mount Pinatubo
pannetone
a pika
audible.com

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Sports Term History
After throwing a long, last-second touchdown in 1975, Roger Staubach said, "I closed my eyes & said" this.

Spoiler
Show
What is Hail Mary?

Meredith Larson: $21,600+$1,200=$22,801...now a 2-day champion with $42,701
Donna Fairweather-Foley: $11,200+$11,000=$22,200
Sam Bernhard: $5,400+$5,400=$10,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Sharp was my only miss in Smarts. I just couldn't get to it from what they were giving. For some reason, "opposite of blunt" had me pull up "acute" somehow and refuse to pull up anything else.

Assembly was my only miss in Bill of Rights. The other four sounded instantly familiar, but that one rang no bells whatsoever.

Billy Ray was my only get in Pop. Yes, this means I missed Charles I. ("Father of Charles II? Nah, there's a trick to it, I just know it.")

You know a food category's out of whack when the only two I get are the TSes (Tostada and Green Goddess). NHO caprese or jicama, and Cobb was obvious after the fact.

No hope whatsoever on Caesars. Unless one of them is Little, I ain't getting it.

====

More "who the heck has ever heard of that?!" food with pannetone in DJ!

I knew "pika" but wasn't confident enough. Hate it when I miss an animal clue.

Bone was a 4/5. NHO Sacrum.

3/5 in Asian Countries. Couldn't place Dhaka, and clammed on "hut" since I couldn't think of a country with "hut" in it.

The Scream was my only get in History. North Korea was overvalued at $2000.

How was Chaucer a TS?

I'm on Amazon all the time and have NHO Audible.com.

====

"Sports term history. I'm so marking this as a 'no' on the scorecard before the clue comes up." Then I get it before Alex is done reading the clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:53 pm

I said "Capri Salad" rather than "Caprese Salad" at home, so I was pleased by the reversal.

Louisiana for the funny-named river is one I would have gotten on a DD, but not rung in for.

I got Chaucer, but it's maybe a little odd to call him pre-Shakespearean when he's about 200 years before Shakespeare. It's 100% true, but it's just a little odd. It's like calling the Ramones a post-Mozart musical act.

I didn't give myself credit for just knowing "Rosetti", since I was unable to remember "Christina".

"That'll Be The Day" is one that I maybe, possibly, might have gotten on a Daily Double. The fact that "Oh Boy" was guessed and was incorrect gave me extra time to think of possibilities. "That'll Be The Day" came to mind as something that a John Wayne character might say, but it was just a guess and I didn't "ring in" at home.

I liked the Words in Asian Countries category, but it definitely had a strong dose of thinking on your feet, and I'm not surprised at all that the contestants struggled with it a little. I almost blurted out "glen" instead of "glade", and almost blurted out "rain" instead of "hail". (It wasn't that I think the word "Thailand" contains the word "rain"; it's that there *exists* a country called Bahrain and you have to put everything together very quickly.)

I rarely say FJs are easy, even if I personally think they're very gettable, because we all have gaps in our knowledge, and we all have brainfart moments, but yeah, this FJ was pretty darn easy.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm surprised I didn't get "Peggy Sue" or "That'll Be the Day", since those are two of the only Buddy Holly song titles I know. Valens wouldn't surface in time either.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:00 pm

There were some very easy bottom of the board clues in this game...cruel and unusual, sage, Richie Valens.

I was a little confused by the top of the board clue in the "Caesar" category, since I was expecting the entire category to be on Julius Caesar.

FJ was an instant get. When I saw the category I figured that it would be an easy clue.

naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Quick question about the clue in "In the Bill of Rights" that called for knowledge of the Eighth Amendment. As I read the clue, something made me think they were going to accept "cruel or unusual," which isn't accurate because the Eighth Amendment constrains the federal government from imposing punishments that are cruel AND unusual. (That's both what the text says and how it's been interpreted throughout 8A jurisprudence.) And then, of course, they did accept "cruel or unusual."

On an episode that seemed particularly nit-picky about vowels, I was surprised that a mistake that has legal significance could sneak in like that. I can't remember the wording of the clue, though, and I'm apparently too impatient to wait for the clue to come up on the archive. Did anyone DVR the episode? Could someone check this out?

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Thinking over 95% on the poll for today's FJ.
OH! just read TPH's post. OK, 100% ;)

Wow, what a bad DD wager at the end. Her 1,000 did nothing to help her cause.
19400 v 11200 with only 2000 still in play, I'm wagering 5500-6000. Unless 2nd place gets both clues, this gives me a runaway if correct, and even if 2nd gets both right, I'd still hold the lead entering DJ if incorrect.
skullturf wrote:Louisiana for the funny-named river is one I would have gotten on a DD, but not rung in for.
I was trying to figure out what pointed to LA on that one. Lots of funny named swamps, bays, and rivers in those southern states.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Even I got FJ --

The champ had 2 games of almost locks - for some reason, the games didn't look that convincing. Hmmm...

The guy was pretty beat with all the negs and bad guesses.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:53 pm

naurae29 wrote:Quick question about the clue in "In the Bill of Rights" that called for knowledge of the Eighth Amendment. As I read the clue, something made me think they were going to accept "cruel or unusual," which isn't accurate because the Eighth Amendment constrains the federal government from imposing punishments that are cruel AND unusual. (That's both what the text says and how it's been interpreted throughout 8A jurisprudence.) And then, of course, they did accept "cruel or unusual."

On an episode that seemed particularly nit-picky about vowels, I was surprised that a mistake that has legal significance could sneak in like that. I can't remember the wording of the clue, though, and I'm apparently too impatient to wait for the clue to come up on the archive. Did anyone DVR the episode? Could someone check this out?
I actually tape the episodes on a VCR (believe it or not), and here is the wording of the clue:

NO EXCESSIVE BAIL OR FINES OR EITHER OF THESE KINDS OF "PUNISHMENT"

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Paucle wrote:Thinking over 95% on the poll for today's FJ.
OH! just read TPH's post. OK, 100% ;)

Wow, what a bad DD wager at the end. Her 1,000 did nothing to help her cause.
19400 v 11200 with only 2000 still in play, I'm wagering 5500-6000. Unless 2nd place gets both clues, this gives me a runaway if correct, and even if 2nd gets both right, I'd still hold the lead entering DJ if incorrect.
skullturf wrote:Louisiana for the funny-named river is one I would have gotten on a DD, but not rung in for.
I was trying to figure out what pointed to LA on that one. Lots of funny named swamps, bays, and rivers in those southern states.
I agree she should have bet more. Afterwards, I really hoped they'd have time for the $800 clue so we'd have a lock tie game.

I got Louisiana because the name sounded French to me.

Instaget of instagets. I had it written down and threw down my notebook I wrote on before the music started.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm thinking they just wanted you to say "cruel" AND "unusual," not necessarily "cruel and unusual." Kinda like how they don't penalize for adding or leaving off an article like "the."

As for FJ, here's some simple math: Dallas resident+longtime Cowboy fan=Instaget. That may well be the quickest I've ever gotten a FJ before Alex finished reading it. It certainly didn't hurt that I can remember watching that very game with my dad and brother.

On another note, that's two Texas-related FJ's in a row. Is Texas the new Nebraska?

naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:41 pm

skullturf wrote:NO EXCESSIVE BAIL OR FINES OR EITHER OF THESE KINDS OF "PUNISHMENT"
Yeah, that's just wrong. For a question about law, it's pretty careless to treat "and" and "or" as interchangeable. Worse, that's just not the text of 8A. To my mind, making this type of mistake is more problematic than, say, giving the noun ("assembly") instead of the verb ("assemble").

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Paucle wrote: I was trying to figure out what pointed to LA on that one. Lots of funny named swamps, bays, and rivers in those southern states.
Atchafalaya is well worth remembering. As a major branch of the Mississippi Delta, it carries lots of the Mississippi's water into the Gulf. And just because your question made me curious, I checked in Wikipedia and one of the studies cited says the Atchafalaya may actually someday become the main channel from the Red River confluence to the Gulf. I knew it right away because I have driven a few times over a long, long highway bridge across that Atchafalaya Basin.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 pm

naurae29 wrote:
skullturf wrote:NO EXCESSIVE BAIL OR FINES OR EITHER OF THESE KINDS OF "PUNISHMENT"
Yeah, that's just wrong. For a question about law, it's pretty careless to treat "and" and "or" as interchangeable. Worse, that's just not the text of 8A. To my mind, making this type of mistake is more problematic than, say, giving the noun ("assembly") instead of the verb ("assemble").
I don't have an opinion on whether the writers made a mistake. But you understand that the contestant didn't, right? She gave the two words requested by the clue, grammatically linked by the conjunction that corresponds to the clue's use of the word "either". Since the clue wanted only the two words, she would not have been penalized for ignoring the syntax and saying "and", of course. They would also have accepted, "What are cruel, unusual?", "What are unusual and cruel?", "What is cruel... Oh! Also unusual?", etc.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 pm

naurae29 wrote:Quick question about the clue in "In the Bill of Rights" that called for knowledge of the Eighth Amendment. As I read the clue, something made me think they were going to accept "cruel or unusual," which isn't accurate because the Eighth Amendment constrains the federal government from imposing punishments that are cruel AND unusual. (That's both what the text says and how it's been interpreted throughout 8A jurisprudence.) And then, of course, they did accept "cruel or unusual."
You're saying courts have consistently ruled that punishment may be cruel as long as it is not unusual and unusual as long as it is not cruel? That's a little disturbing. But I guess it explains an awful lot.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Yeah. Your punishment could be being hog-tied and tickled mercilessly, or having to eat an entire tablespoon of celery salt, or having to sharpen an entire box of pencils in a hand-crank pencil sharpener until each one is a stub, or having to listen to an entire Nickelback album. Unusual, yes, but probably not cruel. Except maybe that last one.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 pm

The writers were funny with POP QUIZ $1000: He fathered baseball * Barry Bonds

(Alex said the asterisk as "star".)

What was Sam's batting average for the J! round? He was free swinging and not taking any pitches it seemed.

Unlike many of you here I did not write down my FJ! response instantly. I read the clue and had a George Carlin (maybe not 7, but more than 1) word moment first. On this board search "Drew Pearson" for my perspective on what the clue brought up.

I think 95% is a little high for the expected poll result even with the positive reaction so far. The category was Sports Term History and any type of figuring out the origin of something usually means misses are coming. I was glad it was not something tough like the handicap one from April 1, 2009.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:23 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:The writers were funny with POP QUIZ $1000: He fathered baseball * Barry Bonds

(Alex said the asterisk as "star".)
Deadspin noticed too: http://deadspin.com/jeopardy-declares-w ... 1481600475

Final was instant here.