Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Observer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS

Post by Observer »

Andrew is a good friend of mine and I thought he gave an outstanding performance. I was gutted when he lost, but he gave it a great run.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Well, I misread FJ and thought they wanted a parable and said Good Samaritain.

FWIW, I'm a Methodist.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

For some reason, my follow-up post did not make it into the thread. It went something like this:

I stand corrected on the "just deserts" issue. I always appreciate learning something new!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jewish. Groaned at the category reveal. Went with water into wine. If you're going to serve 5,000, you should at least have some lox on hand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cinemaniax7 wrote:For some reason, my follow-up post did not make it into the thread. It went something like this:

I stand corrected on the "just deserts" issue. I always appreciate learning something new!
Yes it did make it into the thread!
cinemaniax7 wrote:
nlw44 wrote:Not a typo. D-E-S-E-R-T-S is the correct spelling and "dee-ZERTS" the correct pronunciation of the word with the meaning (taken from the American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd collegiate edition) "Something that is deserved or merited, esp. a punishment."
I stand corrected. It's always a pleasure to learn something new, especially from our gracious board members!
Observer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Observer »

sdgilleran wrote:Was I the only person who thought Linda's response of "loaves and fish feeding" wasn't specific enough? The New Testament records not just the Feeding of the 5000 (which is in all four gospels), but also the Feeding of the 4000 (which is in only two). Both were done via loaves and fish. See wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_multitude.

(Presbyterian and easy get, by the way.)
I agree, her answer was ambiguous. Does anybody have an e-mail address or other methods of contacting The Powers That Be at Jeopardy! so I can express my thoughts on this issue? The official board and its accompanying "contact us" e-mail link aren't working.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

Her answer may have been ambiguous, but the question itself was worse, because it leads to just this type of scenario, requiring the judges to accept a wide latitude of potential responses in order to give contestants the benefit of the doubt in terms of intent.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alamble wrote:Her answer may have been ambiguous, but the question itself was worse, because it leads to just this type of scenario, requiring the judges to accept a wide latitude of potential responses in order to give contestants the benefit of the doubt in terms of intent.
That's basically my reasoning why I accepted what I gave, especially considering their TOM of "two of Christ's symbols."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

My pastor sent me an e-mail tonight asking if I could read scripture tomorrow since the worship leader scheduled won't be able to make it. My verses? Matthew 14: 13-21 (The Feeding of the Five Thousand)
sdgilleran
Contributor

Post by sdgilleran »

Observer wrote:
sdgilleran wrote:Was I the only person who thought Linda's response of "loaves and fish feeding" wasn't specific enough? The New Testament records not just the Feeding of the 5000 (which is in all four gospels), but also the Feeding of the 4000 (which is in only two). Both were done via loaves and fish. See wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_multitude.

(Presbyterian and easy get, by the way.)
I agree, her answer was ambiguous. Does anybody have an e-mail address or other methods of contacting The Powers That Be at Jeopardy! so I can express my thoughts on this issue? The official board and its accompanying "contact us" e-mail link aren't working.
Upon further review, Linda's response was "loaves and fishes feeding" - the unambiguous plural eliminates the possibility of the Feeding of the 4000, which was conducted with only one fish. I withdraw my complaint. :)