Registration now open for adult online test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Registration now open for adult online test

Post by dhkendall »

Man, this is like Christmas around here, isn't it? I haven't seen this much activity (and this much newbie posts) since the SHC!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

dhkendall wrote:Man, this is like Christmas around here, isn't it? I haven't seen this much activity (and this much newbie posts) since the SHC!
I think some people are confusing this board with the official one. I'm kind of tempted to reply by directing people to send their test entry fee to me. :evil:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Man, this is like Christmas around here, isn't it? I haven't seen this much activity (and this much newbie posts) since the SHC!
I think some people are confusing this board with the official one. I'm kind of tempted to reply by directing people to send their test entry fee to me. :evil:
I did just skim a lot of the comments, but it didn't seem like they thought this had any link to Sony, any more than the average newcomer here. All I saw were things like,

"43 if my answer of "Fudgesicles" was accepted."
"I don't think Hvarti is the national cheese of Denmark, they may be thinking of Gouda"
"When will we know if our score is good enough to get on the show?"

The first one is the same as many seasoned boardies post. The second one *may* be construed as thinking we have a link to the show (pointing out an error), but people do that here for regular game answers as well. The third is something that is filed in the FAQ file, this could equally be construed as asking a group of fans who would know, and asking an official board that would know.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

This one, in the TD archive/queue discussion, made me wonder.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=433&start=20
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote:This one, in the TD archive/queue discussion, made me wonder.
Well, the fat that they posted it *there* makes me wonder, but, aside from that, it could easily be worded as a question to the fan community as it is to the official people (like the third question in my sample.)

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

dhkendall wrote:
Well, the fat that they posted it *there* makes me wonder, but, aside from that, it could easily be worded as a question to the fan community as it is to the official people (like the third question in my sample.)
Assuming that he did intend to address it to the fan community, I sent him a PM telling him that it depended on whether he had already logged into the test. If not, then he could sit for Wednesday or Thursday. And if his computer froze in process of logging in, or actually in any event, then it wouldn't hurt for him to try again.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

RandyG wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Assuming that he did intend to address it to the fan community, I sent him a PM telling him that it depended on whether he had already logged into the test. If not, then he could sit for Wednesday or Thursday. And if his computer froze in process of logging in, or actually in any event, then it wouldn't hurt for him to try again.
Hey, you forgot the part where he sends me his entry fee!
;)
EndlessEntropy
Valued Contributor

Post by EndlessEntropy »

Does your audition city selection actually matter? I chose philadelphia just because it's the closest but I would have chose somewhere like Boston if it matters.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

-Shakespeare
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

You know, your question leads me to wonder: are the random audition slots assigned from the whole group, or for each audition city? If the latter, then being from Washington D.C. or some other popular Jeopardy spot would put one at a definite disadvantage of being selected to audition whereas someone from a city that attracts fewer contestants would have a better chance. :(
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

georgespelvin wrote:You know, your question leads me to wonder: are the random audition slots assigned from the whole group, or for each audition city?
Logically, they'd pick auditioners based on what audition city the auditioners indicated, because they have a particular number of audition spots at each city to fill. Otherwise they'd end up with some auditions oversubscribed and others with too few auditioners. It doesn't matter whether they sort by audition city before or after they select people from the overall contestant pool - it would have the same effect either way.

I think you're right that choice of audition city might have some effect, but it's not necessarily one you could predict because you don't know in advance how many audition slots would be available for a particular city and how many people who passed the test opted for each city. For example, suppose 15,000 people passed the test but they're only going to audition 2000 nationwide. If 1500 people who passed the test selected Washington and they're going to audition 500 there, your odd are about* 1/3. But if 3000 people selected Washington and they're going to audition 300, your odds are about 1/10. Choosing a more out-of-the-way audition city sounds like it might be a good option, but it's possible they'd audition fewer people there. If they're auditioning 500 people in Washington and 90 in Randomville, USA but 1500 people selected Washington and 900 selected Randomville, it turns out that Washington was the better choice. But neither you nor any of the auditioners would know that at the time.

*I'm just estimating, because we don't know if they take anything else into account, like demographics.
lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

Perhaps someone has already answered this. I would like to take today's online quiz for practice. I am already registered for tomorrow's test to take it "for real". Can I register to take today's quiz for practice or not?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

lemonsun wrote:Perhaps someone has already answered this. I would like to take today's online quiz for practice. I am already registered for tomorrow's test to take it "for real". Can I register to take today's quiz for practice or not?
You can login to Wednesday's test with the same confirmation number.
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

Says login too early. My foot. It's 743pm et
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Use the link without index.html at the end if the problem persists.
bucknut
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by bucknut »

Yep. First time taking it, I thought "oh, I will log on right at 7:30 so I don't have to worry about"...yeah right, 7:50 = too early
bucknut
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by bucknut »

wallzy41 wrote:Use the link without index.html at the end if the problem persists.
Thanks! That worked for me.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

wallzy41 wrote:Use the link without index.html at the end if the problem persists.
Thanks much for this. I ran into the problem myself and was in a bit of a panic.
I'm smart and I want respect.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Lefty wrote:
Thanks much for this. I ran into the problem myself and was in a bit of a panic.
You're quite welcome, and I hope I helped a few panicked boardies. Unfortunately, this panic resulted in me missing 2 or so questions. I expect to have a score of ~30.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Also, if anyone other than I was wondering, a chromebook works fine.
I'm smart and I want respect.