Wednesday, December 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Re: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:30 am

Bamaman wrote:Fantasy isn't my thing, either.
I keep wanting to say that, but then I look at all the Redwall books on my shelf. And the Silverwing book I've been carrying around for two years now but have yet to read.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:57 am

Me neither, but the initials were enough for me.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:38 am

Bamaman wrote:Sci-fi isn't my thing
nserven wrote:Me neither, but the initials were enough for me.
Me too.
dhkendall wrote:For one thing, the recipient of the heart has to be, of course, dead...
Ummm... How would the heart transplant do him any good then?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:44 pm

One more thing: Isn't "professional volunteer" an oxymoron?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Are there no taxis? Are there no consolation prizes?

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:47 pm

bpmod wrote:One more thing: Isn't "professional volunteer" an oxymoron?

Brian

That was my reaction too. I was rooting for Larry but the new champ did well to avoid getting locked out. I haven't read or seen the series but I knew "RR" right away.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Are there no taxis? Are there no consolation prizes?
Didn't I read this already in this thread? I can't find it going back now, and I have no idea what it references.

Brian

naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Sister had the hots for our champ.

What was the TOM for Jackie Kennedy on $200? I got only $400 there.
I don't remember the whole clue, but I do recall it saying she was a first lady born in 1929 in New York.
TIL that no First Ladies were born during the Great Depression. Jacqueline Kennedy was born in July 1929 and all her successors were born earlier than that, until Hillary Clinton (1947).

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Johnblue wrote:

Brian

That was my reaction too. I was rooting for Larry but the new champ did well to avoid getting locked out. I haven't read or seen the series but I knew "RR" right away.
Here I could have sworn that Tolkein and Martin not only shared middle initials but also a first one as well (I.e. J.R.R. Martin), so I figured that still qualified it. I was wrongness that front, but it still didn't lead me from the right answer.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:48 pm

dhkendall wrote:Here I could have sworn that Tolkein and Martin not only shared middle initials but also a first one as well (I.e. J.R.R. Martin), so I figured that still qualified it. I was wrongness that front, but it still didn't lead me from the right answer.
That's his Spanish twin, Jorge R.R. Martin.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:49 am

Who shot J.R.R.?

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:07 am

bpmod wrote:
Didn't I read this already in this thread? I can't find it going back now, and I have no idea what it references.

Brian
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1724#p93752

Rex

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Heart/Kidney was another 50/50 in hindsight
"Heart" shouldn't be part of a 50/50, or even considered, if one thinks about it - heart transplants aren't all that common, which is why the world was abuzz about the first one only about 50 years ago. For one thing, the recipient of the heart has to be, of course, dead, whereas kidney transplants happen quite often (comparatively speaking) as the donor can donate and still keep one and live a full and productive life.
Last edited by silverscreentest on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Brian
It's only appropriate that this thread contain an oxymoron as well:
TenPoundHammer wrote:...I keep forgetting that Sphinx was an actual mythological beast....
OCSam

Yeshua7
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Yeshua7 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Hello, everybody, I am new here, so I don't know if I am doing this right. My friends and I were denied the honor of viewing the Wednesday, December 25 episode of Jeopardy because it normally airs on ABC and was the unfortunate victim of a sports pre-emption. Is there any way to catch this episode online via streaming Internet, or even someone who is in possession of a recording on video ccassette or DVD that can be made available please? Any help is dearly appreciated, as my friends and I want to see this episode very much. Thank you and God bless you.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Yeshua7 wrote:Hello, everybody, I am new here, so I don't know if I am doing this right. My friends and I were denied the honor of viewing the Wednesday, December 25 episode of Jeopardy because it normally airs on ABC and was the unfortunate victim of a sports pre-emption. Is there any way to catch this episode online via streaming Internet, or even someone who is in possession of a recording on video ccassette or DVD that can be made available please? Any help is dearly appreciated, as my friends and I want to see this episode very much. Thank you and God bless you.
Try this thread: viewtopic.php?p=93809#p93809
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Game of Groans

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Sci-fi isn't my thing, so I had no chance on FJ.
There's an immense gulf between science fiction and fantasy; things like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are not science fiction. Any real, discerning science fiction reader or fan finds the all-too-common conflating of the two quite offensive.
True Scotsmen find it offensive as well. Not sure why.

Sage on the Hudson

Nebulous awards

Post by Sage on the Hudson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:57 am

bomtr wrote:
There's an immense gulf between science fiction and fantasy; things like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are not science fiction. Any real, discerning science fiction reader or fan finds the all-too-common conflating of the two quite offensive.
You should take this up with the Hugo Award Society, and while you're at it, chat with the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America who award the Nebula Awards annually. They seem confused as to the offensiveness of their awards. Also, much of Martin's early work was science fiction. Not that I totally disagree with your main point.
The various awards have, since their earliest days when they were established to honor what came to be known as "speculative fiction" expanded to encompass various categories that stray -- unfortunately -- farther and farther from material that involves at least a nod to natural phenomena (the science in "science fiction"). Whether it's been in an attempt to broaden the awards' appeal, membership on the awards committees by authors who crossover from one type of fiction to the other, or something else, I don't know, but can a Hugo or Nebula category for Best Zombie Novel be far behind? I shudder.
opusthepenguin wrote:
True Scotsmen find it offensive as well. Not sure why.
Maybe because the Scots have always been a very practical people.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Nebulous awards

Post by silverscreentest » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Sage on the Hudson wrote:The various awards have, since their earliest days when they were established to honor what came to be known as "speculative fiction" expanded to encompass various categories that stray -- unfortunately -- farther and farther from material that involves at least a nod to natural phenomena (the science in "science fiction"). Whether it's been in an attempt to broaden the awards' appeal, membership on the awards committees by authors who crossover from one type of fiction to the other, or something else, I don't know, but can a Hugo or Nebula category for Best Zombie Novel be far behind? I shudder.
I've heard one person say,"It's not science fiction unless there are equations." For about 40 years, science fiction is less a genre with specific boundaries than a marketing category. There are also science fiction writers who utterly deny they write science fiction from either literary snobbery or fear of genre ghettoization (I'm looking at you, Margaret Atwood).

There won't be Hugo or Nebula Award for Best Zombie Novel. There's already massive resistance to a Best YA Novel category.

Calling the Martin the American Tolkien is like calling Irvine Welsh the new Sir Walter Scott. I mean Trainspotting and Waverley are both set in Scotland aren't they?

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1724#p93752

Rex
I've been assuming that there's a Dickens reference in there, as well.