Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6740, 2013-12-27

CONTESTANTS
Kathy Cacace, an online editor from Brooklyn, New York
Avram Polinsky, a customer service analyst from Columbia, Maryland
Jerry Slowik, a writer from Arlington Heights, Illinois

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.
On yesterday's program, Jerry gave us a tutorial on how to do really well on our program --start quickly, be correct, and build a great, big lead, and it intimidates your opponents.
Will he be able to do it today against these challengers, Kathy and Avram? We are about to find out.
Good luck.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OLYMPIC CITY ATTRACTIONS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COLORFUL MOVIES (5/5)
FUN WITH ACRONYMS (3/5)
WHAT'S MY AIRLINE? (3/5)
WORLD HISTORY (5/5)
YOUR NAME IS PERFECT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jerry: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Avram: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kathy: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jerry: $2,800
Kathy: $800
Avram: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kathy Cacace is from Brooklyn, New York, and she has made a wild promise to her fiancé. Tell the audience.
Kathy: He's giving me the same look my dad is gonna give me. My fiancé, Sam, and I watch Jeopardy! every night, and when we took the test, I sort of dared/promised that if I got on the show, I would get a tattoo of you, Alex.
[ laughter ]
Alex: A tattoo of me. But not just a tattoo of my face.
Kathy: No, it has to have the mustache, because the mustache was glorious.
Alex: Okay. A small one, please.
Kathy: Tasteful. Tasteful.
[ laughter ]
Alex: Yeah, tasteful, thank you.

Alex: Avram Polinsky is a customer-service analyst from Maryland who still has his first-grade writing journal. That's like a diary, right?
Avram: I do. Yeah, we would do it in writing class. We would learn how to write. I did an illustrated version of Return of the Jedi, and I guess in some ways, I'm pretty similar to how I was in first grade, because I wrote in the journal that my favorite foods were pizza and nachos. And they still are, yeah.
Alex: They still are?
[ laughter ]
Alex: Way to go. Consistency --that's what we like.

Alex: Jerry Slowik is our champion, and I understand that your mom is in our studio audience today, and she is the woman who was in tears throughout the show yesterday. Is that it?
Jerry: I believe that's her, yes. She cries when you succeed.
Alex: How does she deal with a failure that you might have?
Jerry: She cries harder.
Alex: Ah.
[ laughter ]
Alex: What did I say a moment ago with Avram? Consistency --that's what we want in life.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Avram found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Jerry had $7,000, Avram had $1,600, and Kathy was at $1,200. Avram made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

OLYMPIC CITY ATTRACTIONS $800: The Museu Picasso

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FUN WITH ACRONYMS $600: This Canadian city's international film festival becomes an argument when it's in its acronym form
(Alex: The city is [*]. You use the acronym TIFF.)

FUN WITH ACRONYMS $800: To program in a venerable computer language, you might wear this type of "black"

WHAT'S MY AIRLINE? $600: On Jan. 30, 1929 this U.S.-based airline was incorporated as Inter-Island Airways Ltd.

WHAT'S MY AIRLINE? $1000: You'll see a 3-leaf clover on the web page of this European carrier
(Kathy: What is Ryanair?)

OLYMPIC CITY ATTRACTIONS $1000: The House of Culture, designed by Alvar Aalto

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jerry: $7,600
Avram: $3,600
Kathy: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LANGAUGES OF AFRICA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POP CULTURE (3/5)
PUPPIES & PETUNIAS (4/5)
SHAKESPEAREAN RELATIVES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"-UP" (5/5)
& ATOM (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jerry: 14 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Avram: 9 R, 1 W
Kathy: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jerry snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jerry had $8,800, Avram had $5,200, and Kathy was at $2,000. Jerry wagered $1,200.

LANGAUGES OF AFRICA $1600: With 50 million speakers, this Bantu language is the most widely spoken native language on the continent

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jerry who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Jerry had $22,400, Avram had $11,600, and Kathy was at $3,600. Jerry wagered $2,600.

SHAKESPEAREAN RELATIVES $1600: Bianca's sister

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP CULTURE $800: As a baby poriferan, this animated TV character's first words were "May I take your order?"
(Avram: Who is Pepe LePew?)

& ATOM $2000: This "number" in an atom refers to the number of atoms with which a single atom will unite chemically

POP CULTURE $2000: In 2009, this legendary singer won a Grammy for traditional folk album for his release "At 89"

PUPPIES & PETUNIAS $2000: "Westie" is the common form of this cute breed's four-word name.

SHAKESPEAREAN RELATIVES $2000: Brother of King Edward IV

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jerry: $25,000 (lock game)
Avram: $11,600
Kathy: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY AMERICA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Jerry: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Avram: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Kathy: You've no hope of catching up... unless Avram does something stupid. So risk $3,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
There were just 13 of these, the title of an historic document; one offered admission to Canada

FINAL SCORES
Kathy: $3,600 - $3,000 = $600 (What are the Articles of C) (3rd place: $1,000)
Avram: $11,600 + $3,000 = $14,600 (What are Articles of Confediration) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jerry: $25,000 + $1,799 = $26,799 (What are the Articles of Confederation?) (New champion: $26,799)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jerry: $24,400, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Avram: $10,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Kathy: $3,600, 6 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jerry: 30/60 = .500
Avram: 16/59 = .271
Kathy: 6/58 = .103
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WORLD HISTORY $400: He's depicted here dealing with a tough knot In one of the storied moments of his career.

WORLD HISTORY $800: A 1987 wave of violent Palestinian unrest Is known as the first this, from Arabic
for "shaking off."

YOUR NAME IS PERFECT $600: In 2013 Igor Judge stepped down from this high British government post, which unlike in the U.S. has "Lord" before it
(Avram: What is solicitor?)
(Jerry: What is justice?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jerry: What is [*]?)

POP CULTURE $400: On May 31, 2000 Sonja Christopher became the first person to suffer this cruel reality television fate
(Alex: [*] on Survivor)

LANGAUGES OF AFRICA $1200: (Sara gives the clue from Pretoria, South Africa)
In 1908, in Pretoria, South Africa, the Union Buildings
were designed to represent the unity of a once-divided people, with the two identical wings symbolizing these two then-official languages.

"-UP" $1200: A sweet tradition in Vermont is sugar on snow, which is this liquid, heated & drizzled on the white stuff
(Jerry: What is syrup?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jerry: What is [*].)

PUPPIES & PETUNIAS $400: A saint who founded Alpine hospitals lent his name to this breed, seen as a puppy
with petunias.

PUPPIES & PETUNIAS $800: This small, sturdy breed is known for its snub nose, the better to smell the flowers.

PUPPIES & PETUNIAS $1200: This breed of terrier is named for the clergyman who first bred it.

PUPPIES & PETUNIAS $1600: The dog called the bull type of this

CORRECT RESPONSES
Barcelona
Toronto
BASIC
Hawaiian Airlines
Aer Lingus
Helsinki
Swahili
Katharina
Spongebob
the valence number
Pete Seger
the West Highland White Terrier
Richard III
the Articles of Confederation
Alexander the Great
intifada
Chief Justice
voted off the island
English and Afrikaans
maple syrup
St. Bernard
the pug
Jack Russell
mastiff
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

18th Century America
There were just 13 of these, the title of an historic document; one offered admission to Canada.

Spoiler
What are Articles of Confederation? Kathy had "Articles of", but ran out of time.

Jerry Slowik: $25,000+$1,799=$26,799...now a 2-day champion with $49,998
Avram Polinsky: $11,600+$3,000=$14,600
Kathy Cacace: $3,600-$3,000=$600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I spent much of the music trying to figure out what the heck they were talking about. I then came up with constitution, but that didn't have 13 articles, but that led me to the correct response and luckily had time to scribble it out on my piece of paper.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bad game for me: 7/30 and 3/30. And that's not even in my 10 worst.

====

0/5 in Airlines. No way was I getting any of those, nor do I see any reason to learn them. At least I've heard of all of them except KLM.

"Basic Black"? Huh?

0/5 in World History.

Got only the top and bottom in Perfect Name. I didn't see how $600 fit the category.

====

My three DJ! gets were the first two in Puppies and the first one in Pop Culture.

Electrons = farthest from the nucleus? How should I know that?

"Up" was frustrating. I had the first four all right, but couldn't get them to my mouth in time. "Callup" was the only NHOI.

Spongebob a TS? Yes! (I didn't get it either, because I didn't process "poriferan".)

Atom for $1200 was confusingly worded. "IBM scientists have it down to 12 atoms to store each of this unit of information based on 1's and 0's." What in God's name is the "it" referring to?

====

Articles of Confederation was my first instinct, but my first instinct is always wrong. Definitely gotta be some obscure document I've never heard of.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Articles of Confederation was my first instinct, but my first instinct is always wrong. Definitely gotta be some obscure document I've never heard of.
What's wrong is that you think your first instinct is always wrong. If I had $1 for every time you said that, I could take a few months off.
esrever

Post by esrever »

I've written dozens of computer programs using the BASIC language, yet I missed "basic black"

I thought the clue about Marilyn vos Savant and Parade magazine was overvalued. Marilyn has a weekly column in Parade magazine, which has the largest readership of any magazine in the U.S. at about 70 million.

FJ was an instaget. I precalled Articles of Confederation along with several other items from the 18th century in America.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Some of us who saw the scores on the second DD in DJ! at clue 29 probably screamed to wager $800. Given clue 30 was a stand and stare and first and second both got FJ! right, an $800 wager would have meant a lock-tie doing into FJ! and probable co-champs.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Airlines. No way was I getting any of those, nor do I see any reason to learn them.
Sure, if you're never leaving Michigan.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Electrons = farthest from the nucleus? How should I know that?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

esrever wrote:I thought the clue about Marilyn vos Savant and Parade magazine was overvalued. Marilyn has a weekly column in Parade magazine, which has the largest readership of any magazine in the U.S. at about 70 million.
While I, on the other hand, have never seen an issue of this magazine (our paper includes USA Weekend instead). The only reason I've ever heard of it is because Ken Jennings does a bi-weekly puzzle for it that he shares online; I barely remembered seeing vos Savant's name in a linked article on one of the pages.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I had the right answer in FJ, except I said Articles of THE Confederation. :roll: I'm thinking the judges wouldn't accept that since it's embedded in the title.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Airlines. No way was I getting any of those, nor do I see any reason to learn them.
I can give you ($)3000 reasons.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

naurae29 wrote:
I can give you ($)3000 reasons.
When was the last season that did not have at least one category about airports and airlines?

The $600: Igor Judge/Lord Chief Justice - It's a perfect name as far as the category was going

Anyone on FB have a problem with Avram's "Confediration?"

Tonight's FJ! response was a good one to have before Alex was done reading since it was a lot to write.

Jerry is making the game look easy as it seems so effortless for him. He plays like he was won 10,000 games of Trivial Pursuit in a row or something like that.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Second game in a row with ridiculous SAS on the last clue of the game. You have nothing to lose, make a guess!!!!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Articles of Confederation was my first instinct, but my first instinct is always wrong. Definitely gotta be some obscure document I've never heard of.
The AoC is something I'm only acutely aware of, Americana is a weak spot, and I usually associate the term "confederation" with my own country.
esrever wrote:I've written dozens of computer programs using the BASIC language, yet I missed "basic black"
This. Even though I got my programming chops in that language, I still think of it as something no one has used since about 1988.
teapot37 wrote:
esrever wrote:I thought the clue about Marilyn vos Savant and Parade magazine was overvalued. Marilyn has a weekly column in Parade magazine, which has the largest readership of any magazine in the U.S. at about 70 million.
While I, on the other hand, have never seen an issue of this magazine (our paper includes USA Weekend instead). The only reason I've ever heard of it is because Ken Jennings does a bi-weekly puzzle for it that he shares online; I barely remembered seeing vos Savant's name in a linked article on one of the pages.
vos Savant has the Guinness record for the highest IQ, Ken Jennings is known for being incredibly smart (justified or not) due to his record-setting run on Jeopardy! I suppose that's why I've never been asked to write for Parade magazine, I'm not uber-smart! :) (I took the Mensa entrance exam twice, and scored around the 90th percentile both times, so I like to say I'm "too dumb for Mensa, and too smart for Densa".)
MarkBarrett wrote:Anyone on FB have a problem with Avram's "Confediration?"
Actually, looking really close, it looks like Avram left off either the last "i" or the "o". (I'll leave it up to those boardies who post screen caps in such situations, like Opus, bpmod, or yourself, to make that call). Doesn't matter since, as we all know, he would have got 2nd place regardless. FB shouldn't' have a problem, though, as all those who were up in arms over Thomasgate have stopped watching the show like they promised they would. Right?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Actually, looking really close, it looks like Avram left off either the last "i" or the "o". (I'll leave it up to those boardies who post screen caps in such situations, like Opus, bpmod, or yourself, to make that call). Doesn't matter since, as we all know, he would have got 2nd place regardless. FB shouldn't' have a problem, though, as all those who were up in arms over Thomasgate have stopped watching the show like they promised they would. Right?
Looks good to me. Now, Confederashin would've been fun to see the reactions of...from a distance...behind a blast door...but still, fun.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Surprisingly, no.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I used to work with a guy who hated Marilyn vos Savant's Parade column and he said that not only was she not the smartest person in the world, she was actually dumb. That cracked me up! :lol:

First 5/5 FJ week for me this season. Woohoo!
Sage on the Hudson

A lotta saps gathered in Culver City

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Take it from this native New Englander: what gatherers freeze in the snow and make into candy is not "maple syrup," it is maple sap.

The sap is later boiled down to turn it into syrup.

Yet another example of Jeopardy's writers fabricating clues off the tops of their heads.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

legendneverdies wrote:Some of us who saw the scores on the second DD in DJ! at clue 29 probably screamed to wager $800.
Not me. $5,000 works fine there. Jerry's shot for a nice round number was not only $2,200 too small to prevent Avram's breaking the lock with an extra $2,000, it was also $200 shy of putting Jerry in position for a safe preemptive strike at the next clue. Luckily for Jerry (although it's moot either way) Avram didn't have any killer instinct to take a stab on the last clue. (My wild guess would have been right.)

So concludes my first regular-game 5/5 FJ week this season.