Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:32 am

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Anyone on FB have a problem with Avram's "Confediration?"
Actually, looking really close, it looks like Avram left off either the last "i" or the "o". (I'll leave it up to those boardies who post screen caps in such situations, like Opus, bpmod, or yourself, to make that call). Doesn't matter since, as we all know, he would have got 2nd place regardless. FB shouldn't' have a problem, though, as all those who were up in arms over Thomasgate have stopped watching the show like they promised they would. Right?
I thought it wasn't close enough for Jeopardy!, but, as we here all know, it did not affect the outcome, so "no harm, no foul" as Alex would say.

Here it is:
Articles_of_Confederation.jpg
Articles_of_Confederation.jpg (6.91 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8633
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 am

bpmod wrote:
Here it is:
Articles_of_Confederation.jpg
Brian
I can see the tion at the end, so that seems OK. He did put an i instead of an e, but it can be pronounced that way.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:36 am

Bamaman wrote:I can see the tion at the end, so that seems OK.
I can't. That's the only thing I would question. The 'i' shouldn't make a difference, as you say.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
nserven
At the Clam Shack
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Greenfield, MA

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nserven » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:58 am

I said Katherine instead of Katherina. But the Folger Shakespeare Library shows Katherine. And on the other end, so does Cliffs Notes. I assume both are acceptable.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8579
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:17 am

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I can see the tion at the end, so that seems OK.
I can't. That's the only thing I would question. The 'i' shouldn't make a difference, as you say.

Brian
Ironically, I can see "tion" now that you posted it. The i is squished next to the o but it's there. The tittle of the i is quite apparent and that will help you find the body of the i.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:36 am

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I can see the tion at the end, so that seems OK.
I can't. That's the only thing I would question. The 'i' shouldn't make a difference, as you say.

Brian
Ironically, I can see "tion" now that you posted it. The i is squished next to the o but it's there. The tittle of the i is quite apparent and that will help you find the body of the i.
I can see the i's dot, but I cannot see the 'n'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8633
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:07 pm

It looks like what is supposed to be an n at the end, but it looks squished together. He was probably in a hurry trying to wrote a long question that only came to him towards the end. I can barely read what I wrote on my paper at home.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8579
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: A lotta saps gathered in Culver City

Post by dhkendall » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:08 pm

Sage on the Hudson wrote:Take it from this native New Englander: what gatherers freeze in the snow and make into candy is not "maple syrup," it is maple sap.

The sap is later boiled down to turn it into syrup.

Yet another example of Jeopardy's writers fabricating clues off the tops of their heads.
Well, that explains why I was trying to fit "sap" into an "up" category.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: A lotta saps gathered in Culver City

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:12 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:Take it from this native New Englander: what gatherers freeze in the snow and make into candy is not "maple syrup," it is maple sap.

The sap is later boiled down to turn it into syrup.

Yet another example of Jeopardy's writers fabricating clues off the tops of their heads.
Well, that explains why I was trying to fit "sap" into an "up" category.
Roses are red, violets are purple
Sugar's sweet and so is maple syrup-le
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doihavetoreally » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:13 pm

nserven wrote:I said Katherine instead of Katherina. But the Folger Shakespeare Library shows Katherine. And on the other end, so does Cliffs Notes. I assume both are acceptable.
Would Kate work too?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7190
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:11 pm

doihavetoreally wrote:
nserven wrote:I said Katherine instead of Katherina. But the Folger Shakespeare Library shows Katherine. And on the other end, so does Cliffs Notes. I assume both are acceptable.
Would Kate work too?
Yep (that was my response).

User avatar
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:32 am
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY

Kate-ering to preconceived notions

Post by Sage on the Hudson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:42 am

nserven wrote:I said Katherine instead of Katherina. But the Folger Shakespeare Library shows Katherine. And on the other end, so does Cliffs Notes. I assume both are acceptable.
I said Kate. Cole Porter and Samuel and Bella Spewack's take on the story notwithstanding, the character's referred to as "Kate" no fewer than seven times in the text of Shakespeare's play, so it's surely acceptable by Jeopardy!'s standards.

User avatar
Vermonter
2003 College Champion
Posts: 1887
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vermonter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:22 pm

seaborgium wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Some of us who saw the scores on the second DD in DJ! at clue 29 probably screamed to wager $800.
Not me. $5,000 works fine there. Jerry's shot for a nice round number was not only $2,200 too small to prevent Avram's breaking the lock with an extra $2,000, it was also $200 shy of putting Jerry in position for a safe preemptive strike at the next clue. Luckily for Jerry (although it's moot either way) Avram didn't have any killer instinct to take a stab on the last clue. (My wild guess would have been right.)
I like $5,000 because it puts him in a "2/3 exactly" situation if he gets it wrong.

With less confidence, $800 - $1,200 would have been good. If he gets the DD wrong, he can still claim the lock with a correct response on the last clue.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Kate-ering to preconceived notions

Post by davey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:06 am

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
nserven wrote:I said Katherine instead of Katherina. But the Folger Shakespeare Library shows Katherine. And on the other end, so does Cliffs Notes. I assume both are acceptable.
I said Kate. Cole Porter and Samuel and Bella Spewack's take on the story notwithstanding, the character's referred to as "Kate" no fewer than seven times in the text of Shakespeare's play, so it's surely acceptable by Jeopardy!'s standards.
This Shakespeare concordance says she's called Kate 35 times. 18 for Katherine and 27 for Katherina...
http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/co ... /?i=764287
And of course the title "Kiss Me, Kate" is a direct quote from Shakespeare...
I was irritated that "syrup" was the only response in the category that would not be spelled "-up". The hyphen was within the quotation marks. Why include it if it doesn't matter?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8633
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 am

I've never seen or read Richard III, but I looked it up and the cast list showed another brother in the family besides RIII and Edward IV. I assume they'd have taken that as well?
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:41 am

Bamaman wrote:I've never seen or read Richard III, but I looked it up and the cast list showed another brother in the family besides RIII and Edward IV. I assume they'd have taken that as well?
If someone really wanted to say The Duke of Clarence, I don't see why not...

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8633
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:07 am

davey wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I've never seen or read Richard III, but I looked it up and the cast list showed another brother in the family besides RIII and Edward IV. I assume they'd have taken that as well?
If someone really wanted to say The Duke of Clarence, I don't see why not...
I can see someone very familiar with the play blurting that out either to show off or else just from having played the role. The problem is Alex probably only has Richard III on his card and it would be rejected and someone else might get the rebound. They would have to give you credit later, but still someone else would have earned money they shouldn't have.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 am

Bamaman wrote:
davey wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I've never seen or read Richard III, but I looked it up and the cast list showed another brother in the family besides RIII and Edward IV. I assume they'd have taken that as well?
If someone really wanted to say The Duke of Clarence, I don't see why not...
I can see someone very familiar with the play blurting that out either to show off or else just from having played the role. The problem is Alex probably only has Richard III on his card and it would be rejected and someone else might get the rebound. They would have to give you credit later, but still someone else would have earned money they shouldn't have.
Or someone behind the judges' desk knows it fits and the ruling is made right away. It's not that obscure a fact really.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8579
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:25 am

Bamaman wrote:
davey wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I've never seen or read Richard III, but I looked it up and the cast list showed another brother in the family besides RIII and Edward IV. I assume they'd have taken that as well?
If someone really wanted to say The Duke of Clarence, I don't see why not...
I can see someone very familiar with the play blurting that out either to show off or else just from having played the role. The problem is Alex probably only has Richard III on his card and it would be rejected and someone else might get the rebound. They would have to give you credit later, but still someone else would have earned money they shouldn't have.
Why "shouldn't have"? If both Clarence and Richard are correct answers, then they should both get credit if that situation arises, right? (I always imagine that the other person's money comes from the writer's paycheque who was responsible for not pinning down the question to one answer. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8633
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, December 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 pm

I said shouldn't have because the alternate answer should have been taken to begin with. Eddie's lesser known brother is something one could easily look up in a 30 second trip to Wikipedia. But I can see a writer just knowing about Richard III without bothering to think that he might have had another brother who might have been in the play.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gobobbygo, Jeff-thecdboy, morbeedo, seaborgium, Yahoo [Bot] and 32 guests