Alex Trebek injured

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Alex Trebek injured

Post by Vanya »

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Alex Trebek injured

Post by Bamaman »

The image of Alex chasing a 56 year old woman down the hallway of a hotel at 2:30 AM is hilarious.

I wonder how she got into the room to begin with.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

This is pretty interesting. According to Maggie at my Boston audition in May, they were going to begin taping in early August, like next week perhaps. He's either not going to be able to do it, or perhaps will be in a cast or on crutches.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

This is one of the reasons I don't chase women any more.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm still willing to risk it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Clearly the woman was sent into Trebek's hotel room by Sean Connery, in search of either the Penis Mightier or the Anal Bum Cover. Connery has been after those two items for years, and Alex has purposely withheld them from him.
alamble

Post by alamble »

nlw44 wrote:This is pretty interesting. According to Maggie at my Boston audition in May, they were going to begin taping in early August, like next week perhaps. He's either not going to be able to do it, or perhaps will be in a cast or on crutches.
According to the ticketing site, the first tape dates of the new season were scheduled for next Tuesday and Wednesday.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

jeff6286 wrote:Clearly the woman was sent into Trebek's hotel room by Sean Connery, in search of either the Penis Mightier or the Anal Bum Cover. Connery has been after those two items for years, and Alex has purposely withheld them from him.
+1
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

nlw44 wrote:This is pretty interesting. According to Maggie at my Boston audition in May, they were going to begin taping in early August, like next week perhaps. He's either not going to be able to do it, or perhaps will be in a cast or on crutches.
Maybe he'll do the Bill Cullen thing and do the show seated?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

She was apparently after a bracelet that Trebek's mother gave him. (Not joking.) Must be the one he wears on the show all the time.
Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

Maybe they could delay the taping, especially with the show premiering one week late. I see no problem with taping as late as September 13 for the show the following Monday. Or maybe, since the video said that he's having surgery on Friday, maybe that'll cure him and he'll be well enough the following Tuesday for taping as scheduled. Or maybe he'll just hide his injury and walk on his own two feet as usual, since remember he did have a heart attack back in 2004 and he hosted the show normally back then.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Bamaman wrote:I wonder how she got into the room to begin with.
Seriously. I would think a man of Trebek's means would be staying in the presidential suite at a 5-star hotel crawling with attendants, security, etc.

I'm thinking they should make this into a themed board...

CHASING (historical chases, perhaps military or crime-related)
THE WOMAN (famous women, perhaps pop culture)
WITH MY BRACELET (jewelry)
IN THE HOTEL (general knowledge about hotels)
AT 2:30 "A.M." (wordplay)
OOPS, MY ACHILLES TENDON (anatomy)
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

BigDaddyJ wrote: I'm thinking they should make this into a themed board...

CHASING (historical chases, perhaps military or crime-related)
THE WOMAN (famous women, perhaps pop culture)
WITH MY BRACELET (jewelry)
IN THE HOTEL (general knowledge about hotels)
AT 2:30 "A.M." (wordplay)
OOPS, MY ACHILLES TENDON (anatomy)
Hah!

I do feel badly for Alex, though. A friend of mine severed his Achilles tendon, and recovery from that surgery was very long and painful. If I recall, it was about six weeks in some sort of foot brace, and several more weeks before his walking rate returned to normal. If Alex does start taping next week, he'll probably be in a leg brace and on some serious pain meds.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Nicky wrote:Maybe they could delay the taping, especially with the show premiering one week late. I see no problem with taping as late as September 13 for the show the following Monday.
Plenty of contestants have already made arrangements, at their own expense, to be in Culver City for tapings the next few weeks. I'm sure TPTB would do everything they could to avoid disrupting those plans.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

Alex needs to lay off the tanning beds. He looked like Bob Barker in that interview.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Wimple wrote:Alex needs to lay off the tanning beds. He looked like Bob Barker in that interview.
If he starts urging the J! audience to have their pets spayed or neutered, then we'll know you're on to something... ;)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Overheard from Alex as the cops nab the thief... "Ooh, so close."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here's the latest on the suspect:

Alex Trebek burglary suspect facing 25 to life
Vivian Ho, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO -- The woman suspected of burglarizing "Jeopardy" host Alex Trebek's hotel room sat crying in a San Francisco County Jail interview room Monday at the prospect of being sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.

Dabbing her face with a crumpled paper napkin, Lucinda Moyers said she had just been told that prosecutors would charge her under the state's "three strikes and you're out" law.

"I'm facing a life sentence," the 56-year-old Moyers choked out. "I'm never going to see life again outside if I'm found guilty."

Moyers has two burglary convictions on her record, dating from 1990 and 1991, district attorney's spokeswoman Erica Terry Derryck said. Under the three-strikes law, defendants with at least two previous violent or serious felonies who are convicted of a new felony can be sentenced to 25 years to life.

Moyers said she was convicted in 1990 of burglarizing a room at a Fisherman's Wharf hotel. She said she was on probation when she agreed to a plea bargain in 1991 for burglarizing a hotel near Geary and Mason streets downtown and served four years.

Moyers said she had been convicted of another felony that was not listed as a strike on the charging document in the Trebek case - a 1997 burglary of a room at the Holiday Inn in Chinatown. She was sentenced to 15 years and was released in 2006 after serving 8 1/2 years.

Derryck said she did not know of the 1997 conviction. Although the 1990 and 1991 crimes were not violent, Derryck said, the alleged burglary of Trebek's hotel room early Tuesday was a "hot prowl" that constituted a violent crime.

"We are alleging that the individual entered the room to commit the burglary while it was occupied," Derryck said. "By statute, it is a serious, violent felony."

Derryck stressed that as in all three-strikes cases, prosecutors will review their tentative decision to count the two previous felonies as strikes. That review will probably not be completed until after a preliminary hearing, she said.

Moyers maintains she is innocent of burglarizing the room where Trebek and his wife, Jean, were staying at the Marriott Marquis on Fourth Street.

She said she was on the 26th floor of the hotel at 3 a.m. Tuesday for "a date" with a man, but that he was drunk and didn't come to the door. As she waited for the elevator, Moyers said, Trebek approached her and asked her if she had been in his room.

She said she told him no and, fearing police involvement, took off running. She was caught by security downstairs.

Trebek reported waking and seeing a woman rummaging through his and his wife's belongings. He ruptured his Achilles tendon while chasing after her.

Trebek, 71, was in the Bay Area to host the National Geographic World Championship at Google Inc.'s Mountain View headquarters, which he did on crutches Wednesday.

Moyers said that when Trebek confronted her, she "didn't even know who he was."

"I wish I had never gone up there," she said.

Moyers pleaded not guilty at her arraignment Monday. Her previous crimes, she said in the interview, were the result of a heroin addiction.

"I'm not saying I shouldn't do any time when I do stuff. I already did the time," Moyers said. "But to do life? For stealing? And I didn't even do anything this time. They're going to give me life for my record."

Moyers remains in jail on $625,000 bail. She is scheduled to return to court Aug. 15.

E-mail Vivian Ho at vho@sfchronicle.com.

How quickly would I be excused if I was called to be a juror on the case if it goes to trial?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:Here's the latest on the suspect:

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO -- The woman suspected of burglarizing "Jeopardy" host Alex Trebek's hotel room sat crying in a San Francisco County Jail interview room Monday at the prospect of being sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.

"I'm facing a life sentence," the 56-year-old Moyers choked out. "I'm never going to see life again outside if I'm found guilty."

Boo hoo. What are "two things she should have thought BEFORE committing a third felony?"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Here's the latest on the suspect:

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Boo hoo. What are "two things she should have thought BEFORE committing a third felony?"
On the one hand, I whole heartedly agree. (This is, of course, assuming she is guilty.) If rehabilitation doesn't help by the third time, I have my doubts it will ever work.

On the other hand, it's hard to justify on a humanitarian level to convict someone for, well, at 56, '25 to life' is basically a life sentence, for this. Especially given California's current prison fiasco ( http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/united- ... 58973.html )

Scylla, meet Charybdis. Charybdis, Scylla.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)