Tuesday, December 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6742, 2013-12-31

CONTESTANTS
Reggie Austin, an actor from Culver City, California
Alyson Murray, a server from Boston, Massachusetts
Jerry Slowik, a writer from Arlington Heights, Illinois (whose 3-day cash winnings total $71,900)

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES (4/5)
IT'S A GAS... GIANT (3/5)
MY NAME IS MY BRAND (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
I'M IN... (1/2)
"DE" (4/5)
NILE (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alyson: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jerry: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Reggie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Reggie: $2,200
Jerry: $1,400
Alyson: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: It's always a bit difficult for civilians, people like me --when we run into our idols in the entertainment business. I was a little nervous when I met Frank Sinatra, for instance. And you, I understand, Reggie, had a similar kind of problem when you met your acting idol, who is?

Reggie: I did. Denzel Washington.

Alex: Yeah?

Reggie: So, yeah, I got a chance to be an extra on a film of his, and he actually came and had lunch with everyone else, instead of going off to his trailer. Uh, so he sat down with some dessert in his hand - I didn't want to be too excited to see him or act like I didn't care, so the middle ground I struck was him sitting down, and I said, [mimes pointing at the dessert] "Pecan pie, huh?" He goes, "Mm-hmm." [Reggie starts to walk away from his podium] That was it, and I walked away. That was my - balance.

Alex [laughing]: That's okay.

Alex: Alyson Murray is a server from Boston, Massachusetts. What kind of serving do you do?

Alyson: Well, I wait tables. I actually serve seafood.

Alex: Now, you're a bit of a wine nerd, I understand.

Alyson: Yes, sir. I love wine. It's actually cool because it's a respectable hobby, but it gets you drunk, so... [Alyson laughs, then audience laughs]

Alex: Is there a problem with that?

Alyson: Not at all.

Alex: Oh, okay. Okay, just so we're clear on that.

Alex: Jerry Slowik, we mentioned the fact that your mother has been in the audience for each of your games. Now, I understand she was important to you in a coming-of-age rite that young men have, and that is learning to drive. She's the one who taught you?

Jerry: That's right. She took me out in her Volkswagen Bug. Learned how to operate a stick shift, but --

Alex: Where did this driving lesson take place?

Jerry: In the graveyard.

Alex: In the graveyard. Why?

Jerry: Well, you couldn't hurt anybody.
[ laughter ]

Alex [to audience]: You see the kind of contestants we're attracting these days? Oh, my gosh.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Reggie found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Jerry had $1,200, Alyson had $3,600, and Reggie was at $2,800. Reggie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

MY NAME IS MY BRAND $1000: The copper products co. founded by this man in 1801 is still around today, but in Rome, New York, not Boston
(Reggie [wagering]: I'd like to bet the farm, please, Alex.)
(Reggie: [long pause] Who is Carnegie?)
(Alex: No, [*], copper and silver.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $1000: (Hi, I'm Elizabeth Perkins.) He directed, co-wrote & starred in "Lost in America", which eviscerated the materialistic culture of the 1980s

"DE" $200: Scattered detritus, litter, trash

IT'S A GAS... GIANT $600: It's named for the Roman god of agriculture
(Reggie: What is Uranus?)

IT'S A GAS... GIANT $800: Its ring system was discovered in 1977, nearly 200 years after it was
(Alex: Just because you said it a few moments ago is no reason not to say it again, Reggie, [*], yes.)

I'M IN... $200: This, failure perhaps due to bleeding or a heart-attack to get blood to all the tissues; I feel cold
(Jerry: What is hypothermia?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alyson: $3,600
Jerry: $1,400
Reggie: $0

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SONGS FOR NEW YEAR'S (3/5)
THE 15th CENTURY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THAT'S OUR ISLAND! (4/5) (You have to identify the country it belongs to.)
ARCHITECTURE (3/5)
3-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jerry: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alyson: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Reggie: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jerry snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Jerry had $9,800, Alyson had $6,400, and Reggie was at $1,600. Jerry wagered $2,200.

THE 15th CENTURY $1600: Losing the battle of Grunwald in 1410 in Poland led to the end of the military power of these knights

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alyson who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Jerry had $18,400, Alyson had $8,400, and Reggie was at $2,800. Alyson wagered $5,000.

HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN $1600: Her grandmother told her that when she was 15, she could rise out of the sea & sit on the rocks in the moonlight

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARCHITECTURE $400: The demolition of this NYC train station in the early 1960s helped spur the city's preservationist movement
(Reggie: What is Grand Central?)
(Alex: What is [*]? Grand Central is still there.)

ARCHITECTURE $800: John Howells & Raymond Hood won a 1922 contest to design this city's Tribune Tower; Eliel Saarinen Finnished second

THAT'S OUR ISLAND! $2000: Isle of Youth (or Isla de la Juventud)

SONGS FOR NEW YEAR'S $1600: This Wilson Pickett No. 1 R&B hit from 1965 will get us closer to the new year

SONGS FOR NEW YEAR'S $2000: 13 million have youtubed a clip of Zooey Deschanel & Joseph Gordon-Levitt asking this in song about "New Year's Eve"

HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN $2000: Andersen's "The Nightingale" was a tribute to this Swedish soprano who never returned his love
(Jerry: Who is Nilsson?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jerry: $16,400
Alyson: $13,400
Reggie: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY VICE PRESIDENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Jerry: Wager $10,401 to cover Alyson, but no more than $10,799 so as not to fall behind Reggie's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $4,801.
Alyson: Since you're within 4/5ths of Jerry's score, you should wager between $6,001 (venusian) and $7,400 (martian), beating Jerry's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Reggie: Too bad for you, Reggie, your score is less than Jerry's score minus Alyson's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Woodrow Wilson said this man had enough genius to be immortal & "unschooled passion enough to have made him infamous"

FINAL SCORES
Reggie: $2,800 - $2,795 = $5 (Who is Garfield) (3rd place: $1,000)
Alyson: $13,400 - $6,600 = $6,800 (Who is Theodore Roosevelt?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jerry: $16,400 + $10,500 = $26,900 (Who is Burr?) (4-day champion: $98,800)
[Jerry's mom screams in delight from the audience as his response is revealed to be correct. Everyone laughs.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jerry: $15,800, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Alyson: $10,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Reggie: $5,600, 9 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jerry: 21/59 = .356
Alyson: 14/59 = .237
Reggie: 9/59 = .153
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $200: (I'm Chuck Todd of NBC News.) The longer I am in television, the more I like this feature film comedy with Will Ferrell as a San Diego newsman, & I'm really looking forward to the sequel

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $400: (Here with the clue are Mike & Mike of ESPN Radio.) My favorite sports movie is "Field of Dreams"--it's got everything: mystery, romance & baseball...
...I can beat that--my favorite is this laughter on the links that co-starred Bill Murray as a crazy gopher exterminator

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $600: (I'm Dana Perino of Fox News.) Hugh Grant played a convincing prime minister in this film that depicts amorous hopefuls from all walks of London life

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $800: (Hi, I'm Harry Shearer.) The Cuban missile crisis was still fresh in viewers' minds when Stanley Kubrick played the situation for laughs in this 1964 classic
(Jerry: What is Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About the Bomb?)
(Alex [to Jerry]: Yeah, if you'd left it at Dr. Strangelove, I think [*] was the title.)

"DE" $800: The proofreaders mark seen here means this

NILE $200: They're the Nile's 2 "colorful" main tributaries
(Reggie: What is blue and red?)

IT'S A GAS... GIANT $1000: Its axis of rotation is almost parallel to its orbital plane, so it spins more or less on its side
[everyone laughs]

MY NAME IS MY BRAND $400: Last name of Dr. William, inventor of more than 1,000 foot-care products
(Jerry: What is Scholls?)
(Alex: Jerry, you added an S.)

I'M IN... $400: This type of "custody", to make sure the mob doesn't get me before I testify
[end-of-round signal sounds]

ARCHITECTURE $1200: Said to gather all light and positive spirits, a sorin is the nine-ringed spire placed atop this type of shrine seen here

THE 15th CENTURY $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a map of the Ottoman Empire.) In 1462 the mighty Ottoman army retreated after a large massacre by this Wallachian prince and his forces
[Alex gives the full name in his Dracula accent]

THE 15th CENTURY $2000: Hangul was developed and made the official writing system of this peninsula

THAT'S OUR ISLAND! $1200: Minorca
(Alyson: What is Portugal?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Paul Revere
Albert Brooks
debris
Saturn
Uranus
shock
the Teutonic Knights
The Little Mermaid
Penn Station
Chicago
Cuba
"In The Midnight Hour"
What are you doing New Year's Eve?
Jenny Lind
(Aaron) Burr
Anchorman(: The Legend of Ron Burgundy)
Caddyshack
Love Actually
Dr. Strangelove (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)
delete
the blue (Nile) and white (Nile)
Uranus
Scholl
protective
a pagoda
Vlad (Tepes, Count Dracula)
Korea
Spain

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:01 pm

19th Century Vice Presidents
Woodrow Wilson said this man had enough genius to be immortal & "Unschooled passion enough to have made him infamous".

Spoiler
Show
Who is Aaron Burr? Reggie said Garfield; Alyson said Theodore Roosevelt

Jerry Slowik: $16,400+$10,500=$26,900...now a 4-day champion with $98,800
Alyson Murray: $13,400-$6,600=$6,800
Reggie Austin: $2,800-$2,795=$5
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:41 pm

No J! for me today. Curse you, Hyuandai Sun Bowl.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:04 pm

I'll chime in and say that 2013 closed with a very good FJ. Had no idea who Wilson was referring to (who I knew was a 20th century prez, so it wasn't one of his), or who he could be referring to, but the reveal made a lot of sense. I also tend to think of him (perhaps rightly or wrongly) as a 18th century veep (I guess he's *close* to the 18th century) and it might be why he didn't occur to me, but I'll also freely admit that I know the names of very few veeps who did not go on to the presidency themselves.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:27 pm

Blanked on Anchorman at $200. "Oh, um. Will Ferrell. Ron Burgundy. Ron Burgundy. Ron Burgundy. Ron… No, it's not called Ron Burgundy, what is it?" But my mind just kept screaming "Ron Burgundy Ron Burgundy" and wouldn't shut up. I hate it when my mind does that, and it does that all the time.

Jerry shouldn't have tried showing off on the Strangelove clue. He's lucky that didn't cost him.

I never thought of debris = trash before. The fact that they used another "de" word in the clue (detritus) also locked up my brain.

NHO Blue or White Nile.

0/5 in Gas Giants. I WAGged mentally on all five, and would've had ALL FIVE wrong had I rung in.

Alex never gave the LTaM, so I was surprised to hear the time's-up beeps with five clues left. What the heck happened? The game didn't seem remotely slow.

====

Ran 3-Letter Words, but had only three other gets.

Songs for New Year's was frustrating. A friend of mine JUST linked to that song on YouTube an hour ago, but I couldn't pull the title.

Hans Christian Andersen was easy for the first four clues, but my terrible performance today had me gunshy, so I got only $800. $2000 was the only one I had no clue on, though I've heard the name.

====

Burr? Nah, he wasn't a VP, was he? Hamilton was the VP I think. Forget it, I got nothing.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

esrever

Post by esrever » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:38 pm

5 clues left on the board in the J! round. Quite unusual.

Ran the "DE" and "That's My Island" categories.

Picked up Lach trash: "debris", "Chicago", "Cuba", and "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?"

Instaget FJ.

Happy new year!

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 pm

dhkendall wrote:I also tend to think of him (perhaps rightly or wrongly) as a 18th century veep (I guess he's *close* to the 18th century) and it might be why he didn't occur to me, but I'll also freely admit that I know the names of very few veeps who did not go on to the presidency themselves.
Well, he was a veep under a president who had previously been an 18th-century veep. Close enough for government work.

To me this was a "Don't overthink it" Final.

I think Jerry might have started to suffer a little fatigue this game, but had a surge of adrenaline after blanking on the Tribune Tower. Of course he's an Arlington Heights guy, so who knows how often he even crosses those three or four other suburbs to enter Chicago? ;)
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:02 pm

This was a pretty lame board and an underwhelming game, although the players did a little bit better in the DJ round.

I made the lucky guess on "Paul Revere" on the J! round DD. I didn't think that he would actually be correct.

I have to wonder if Jerry tried to give the full title of Dr. Strangelove because Alex gave the full title of Anchorman on the first clue of the game. I also knew that when Jerry rang in on the "Scholl" clue, he was going to say "Scholls".

I made the lucky guess on FJ, but I thought that it was a very, very, very crappy clue.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:09 pm

Contemplating the FJ category during the commercial break, I figured that they would probably ask only about a certain subset of 19th century VPs. The ones who became President, and a rather small number of other ones, such as Aaron Burr, and maybe Hamlin since he was Lincoln's first VP and Lincoln is one of the most famous Presidents.

So, it helped that I had already thought about Aaron Burr's name. I don't actually know anything about the man other than the duel thing, so I didn't know whether Wilson or anybody else would describe him as a genius, but I figured that words like "infamous" and "passion" were probably clues to it being "the duel guy", which is probably how most people think of Aaron Burr.

bkellysky
Contributor

Post by bkellysky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:40 pm

Regarding the Moses question, I thought 'reeds' was right.
But for Exodus 2:3, the King James Version says
And when she could not longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therein; and she laid it in the flags by the river's brink.

The Catholic New American version says....
But when she could no longer hide him, she took a papyrus basket, daubed it with bitumen and pitch, and putting the child in it, placed it among the reeds on the bank of the Nile.

Being Catholic , I guess that's where I got reeds from.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:40 pm

Burr was an instaget because he was charged with treason for trying to get the "Southwest" Territories -- modern Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana to join with him in liberating Texas. As this would have provoked hostilities with Spain/Mexico -- at a time when we didn't want them -- he was put on trial.

That he would have been the ruler of this new nation also didn't sit well. As unpopular as Hamilton was in the South, shooting him was probably the least obnoxious thing Burr did. One of his supporters was the inspiration for The Man Without a Country, IIRC.

I firmly refuse to believe that anyone who can figure out how to get to this website does not know that Jupiter is the largest planet, though. I call shenanigans, TPH.

ETA: Papyrus is a reed, isn't it? That may be why it was accepted after what looked to be an edit.
Last edited by TomKBaltimoreBoy on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:42 pm

I haven't watched tonight's show yet, but that FJ is an instaget.

Happy New Year, everyone!

bkellysky
Contributor

Post by bkellysky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 pm

firmly refuse to believe that anyone who can figure out how to get to this website does not know that Jupiter is the largest planet, though. I call shenanigans, TPH.

ETA: Papyrus is a reed, isn't it? That may be why it was accepted after what looked to be an edit.[/quote]

Did they specify our solar system? There are larger gas giants detected in other solar systems.
Exodus 3:2:
King James Version:
And when she could not longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therein; and she laid it in the flags by the river's brink.
Catholic New American:
But when she could no longer hide him, she took a papyrus basket, daubed it with bitumen and pitch, and putting the child in it, placed it among the reeds on the bank of the Nile.
I thought 'reeds', too. Perhaps because I'm Catholic?
bob

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:49 pm

A first row clue is going to get a response pointing to a planet in another solar system?

At a certain point, you have to realize that there are certain parameters to this game.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

bkellysky
Contributor

Post by bkellysky » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:57 pm

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:A first row clue is going to get a response pointing to a planet in another solar system?

At a certain point, you have to realize that there are certain parameters to this game.
OK. Sounds good to me!

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:10 pm

Bamaman wrote:No J! for me today. Curse you, Hyuandai Sun Bowl.
Heads up for those who get J! pre-evening access: NBC is showing NHL stuff from 1-4PM(approximate) EST tomorrow, and ABC is showing the Capital ONe Bowl from 1-4:30PM EST(approximate tomorrow). NO other networks have special national programming tomorrow it looks like.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 pm

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I firmly refuse to believe that anyone who can figure out how to get to this website does not know that Jupiter is the largest planet, though. I call shenanigans, TPH.
I can never find a way to keep Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune straight.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:23 pm

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:A first row clue is going to get a response pointing to a planet in another solar system?

Good point, but a larger gas giant in another solar system would not be ruled out by the clue's wording, if I read the clue right, and in fact would be more correct (again, based on the wording I remember.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

davey

Post by davey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:25 pm

StevenH wrote:
I have to wonder if Jerry tried to give the full title of Dr. Strangelove because Alex gave the full title of Anchorman on the first clue of the game. I also knew that when Jerry rang in on the "Scholl" clue, he was going to say "Scholls".

I made the lucky guess on FJ, but I thought that it was a very, very, very crappy clue.
I imagine Jerry was trying to show off because his interview on his first win was about how he is "obsessed" with Stanley Kubrick...unfortunately that made the attempt extra lame...

I think it was a fine clue. Is there another "infamous" 19th Century Vice President to rival him? Adding "19th Century" to the category may have made it too easy...