Wednesday, July 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DanKirshner
Contributor

Re: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by DanKirshner »

Newcomer to the board. Please go easy on me, the newbie. Longtime J fan.

I thought Kissinger in the bottom box on Face Book was overvalued.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Instaget on FJ, as the English monarchy in particular is a almost clavin-level favorite topic. Given the year, I knew it had to be Charles the first. (I wonder if Prince Charles will use one of his many other names if/when he succeeds to the throne. Charles III would be a brave choice, as the first two didn't make out so well.)

I got the TS Elliott triple stumper, which made me happy. In fact, I think I only missed one clue in the first round, the $1000 clue in Bartletts (Dean). Funeral Plots was my most difficult category... I only got 4 Weddings and a Funeral. Other than that, did pretty well. I was rooting for Linda tonight, it's too bad she didn't make the ToC.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

laubla999 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Does any one else (especially any Canadian boardie) get a vibe of a younger, nerdier (if that's possible) Stephen Harper from Ryan? (This might be due tot he fact I read an entire Maclean's magazine at work today, so I essentially OD'd on Canadian politics)

I never saw Harper being so... enthusiastic about anything.
I don't see it at all ;-/
I think I saw him give a fist bump during the gold medal game this year.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

mennoknight wrote:
laubla999 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Does any one else (especially any Canadian boardie) get a vibe of a younger, nerdier (if that's possible) Stephen Harper from Ryan? (This might be due tot he fact I read an entire Maclean's magazine at work today, so I essentially OD'd on Canadian politics)
---
I never saw Harper being so... enthusiastic about anything.
I don't see it at all ;-/
I think I saw him give a fist bump during the gold medal game this year.
You think he knew he was on camera?

ETA : sorry I lost a quote there. It would not let me keep 3 quotes ;-(
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:Re: FJ. I remember chuckling during one clue mentioning "Charles V" and a trial and someone (I believe it was Ryan) falsely ringing in with "Henry VIII", perhaps thinking that Charles V was an English king - giving me amusement because I thought it was common knowledge there were only two King Charleses, both of them having rather unfortunate reigns (which makes one wonder about the reign of the future Charles III ... ). I suppose it was irony that Ryan was the only one who wound up getting Final.
Prince Charles can take any name he likes when he becomes king. Smart money is on George, after his grandfather.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Frank Hardy wrote:Let's do the BIG THING! I want to do the BIG THING! :lol:

OK, now that I have ridiculed Ryan, I will congratulate him on an impressive comeback. :geek:
I'd ridicule him too, but you never know when they might show up on the boards. I've made that mistake once or twice.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

DanKirshner wrote:Newcomer to the board. Please go easy on me, the newbie. Longtime J fan.

Me too. I certainly recognized him better than I did T.S. Eliot (from the clue above Kissinger). For Eliot you probably had to go by the name of the work mentioned in the clue, which escapes me now.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

nserven wrote:
DanKirshner wrote:Newcomer to the board. Please go easy on me, the newbie. Longtime J fan.

Me too. I certainly recognized him better than I did T.S. Eliot (from the clue above Kissinger). For Eliot you probably had to go by the name of the work mentioned in the clue, which escapes me now.
'Four Quartets'.

Oh! I forgot to say anything about my favorite category last night, The Franks. Didn't know too much about them til I met my husband. Then I learned all about Charles Martel, etc. (Even though we spell it differently.) Ran the category, too... my hubby was pleased. :lol:
Karawan

Post by Karawan »

dhkendall wrote: Re: FJ. I remember chuckling during one clue mentioning "Charles V" and a trial and someone (I believe it was Ryan) falsely ringing in with "Henry VIII", perhaps thinking that Charles V was an English king - giving me amusement because I thought it was common knowledge there were only two King Charleses, both of them having rather unfortunate reigns (which makes one wonder about the reign of the future Charles III ... ). I suppose it was irony that Ryan was the only one who wound up getting Final.
I thought it was an odd answer myself, but I'll give him a little more credit than that because Charles V was Holy Roman Emperor during the reign of Henry VIII. And they had somewhat of an adversarial relationship because Charles's aunt was Catherine of Aragon, the wife whom Henry was so desperate to divorce that he broke with the Catholic Church.

Of course, at the time of Martin Luther's trial, to which the clue referred, Henry VIII was still a devout Catholic and had even won the title "Defender of the Faith" from the Pope for writing something against Luther.

I've always enjoyed reading about the history of the British royal family, so FJ was pretty easy for me this time. I was surprised that it tripped up 2 of the 3 players. No offense to Ryan, but I had wanted to either see Linda continue her impressive winning streak or to see a come-from-behind victory for Amy, since I remember her from my taping. She was one of the people who was in the contestant pool for last week's games but didn't get picked and was held over for the next day's tapings.

Which brings me to a question... I wonder if being able to watch 7 games live before playing her own game affected Amy, either for better or for worse. I'm just curious because my name was drawn first at my taping and I would have preferred the opportunity to observe a little before taking my turn. Has anyone been in that situation, and do you have any thoughts about whether it was a positive or a negative?
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

dhkendall wrote: Does any one else (especially any Canadian boardie) get a vibe of a younger, nerdier (if that's possible) Stephen Harper from Ryan? (This might be due tot he fact I read an entire Maclean's magazine at work today, so I essentially OD'd on Canadian politics)

I went back and watched the show again, and I stand corrected : once I ignored the physical mannerisms, I could see the resemblance.
He does look like our prime minister ;-/

Only more exuberant!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Did I hear correctly that Ryan's coin collection contains "almost 20?" I think there's that many in my couch right now.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
mennoknight wrote: Did I hear correctly that Ryan's coin collection contains "almost 20?" I think there's that many in my couch right now.
That's what I thought he said, too. Perhaps he meant coins from 20 countries?

FJ was an instaget. I once described a method I use for keeping time straight, basically associating an event with each 50 year increment. The execution of Charles I in 1649 is my touchstone for the mid-17th century.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Frank Hardy wrote:I just checked out Ryan's Winner's Circle interview at jeopardy.com, and it is the most emotional, exuberant interview I have ever seen there.
It reminded me of the Double Rainbow guy.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

--Pete wrote:FJ was an instaget. I once described a method I use for keeping time straight, basically associating an event with each 50 year increment. The execution of Charles I in 1649 is my touchstone for the mid-17th century.
I'm assuming that you shared that on the old board. Since we no longer have access to that wealth of information, I wouldn't mind if you described it again.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
BigDaddyJ wrote:
--Pete wrote: FJ was an instaget. I once described a method I use for keeping time straight, basically associating an event with each 50 year increment. The execution of Charles I in 1649 is my touchstone for the mid-17th century.
I'm assuming that you shared that on the old board. Since we no longer have access to that wealth of information, I wouldn't mind if you described it again.
Actually, there's not much to add. For BCE dates, pick events that occurred in 1000 year intervals to 1000 BCE, then in 50 year intervals to the present. That gives you about 65 events and dates to memorize. Mine run along the typical Western history time-line.

If anyone wants my actual list, I'll dig it out early next week (it's in a flash card file that's on a backup somewhere and I've got a busy weekend planned, but I should be able to look for it on Monday). However, it works best if each person makes his own based on events that are memorable to himself.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
cheezguyty

Found it!

Post by cheezguyty »

BigDaddyJ wrote:I'm assuming that you shared that on the old board. Since we no longer have access to that wealth of information, I wouldn't mind if you described it again.
From said board (in response to my solicitation for tips on memorizing dates):
I too had a hard time with dates, mostly because of laziness (hurt my spelling, too). What I finally did was make a list starting from 1000 BCE and going by 50 year increments. I associated an event that had occurred on or near (+- 10 years or so) each of those dates with that date. Made the 58 flip cards (this was in the early '60s). Then I just associated other events with one of the key events. E.g. Ferdinand and Isabella used the money they plundered from the Moors to fund Columbus. Columbus, 1500, so F&I late 1400s. I find it easier to recall these mental associations than to memorize dates.

Hope that helps.

--Pete
Last edited by cheezguyty on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EugeneF
Valued Contributor

Premature Coronation

Post by EugeneF »

;) Charles Martel was not a king....

From Your RDA of Irony:
October 10, 732: Western Europe Is Stuck With Roman Numerals for Another 500 Years

The battle of Tours, fought this day in 732, is listed among the most important battles in history. It certainly is the only time that the French were underestimated. Having brushed aside the lumbering Visigoth clods in Spain, the Arabs assumed that the Franks would be just another trifle. And in theory, they were right. In the 8th century, Gallia was once again in three parts: two independent dukedoms and a weak kingdom fighting with each other. In planning their invasion of France, the Arabs discounted the possiblity of any real and organized resistance.

The Duchy of Aquitaine did not contradict the Arabs' contempt. Southwestern France was quickly conquered. The most significant Arab losses were from hernias carrying the loot. Indeed, the sheer amount of plunder slowed down the Arabs' invasion of central France. Their light cavalry had become quite heavy. That delay gave the desperate French two advantages. The first was weather. October in France would not seem a problem to most invaders; the Russians would be in bathing suits. But the Arabs were miserably cold; and their French loot evidently did not include long underwear. Thirty thousand sneezing Arabs are a less formidable foe, but the French still had to fight them.

The slow pace of the Arab invasion allowed the French time to gather an army, but this force was not the typical medieval ensemble of jealous nobles and undisciplined peasants. No, this was a real army with a capable leader. In fact, the French commander was not even a noble, at least a legitimate one. Being a bastard Charles Martel had worked his way up, surviving battles and court politics. He had the earned the rank of Mayor of the Palace. which was more important than it sounds. He was the military commander of the Franks and wielded far more power than the actual king, the incredibly trivial Theuderich IV.

To protect France--and himself--Charles had established a professional, full-time army. (Charles had financed this army by expropriating Church property. None too thrilled, the Church threatened to excommunicate him but decided that he was a lesser evil than an Arab invasion.)

The Arab army was sluggishly advancing on the city of Tours and was surprised to find Charles' army, along with the reinforcements from the rest of France, standing in the way. As a further inconvenience to the Arabs, Charles used tactics, positioning his army on a wooded ridge. Arab cavalry, riding uphill through trees, was at a definite disadvantage. In fact, the disadvantage was so obvious that the Arab commander spent six days trying to come to a decision: should he attack or withdraw? It was not a pleasant choice. If he withdrew, the Caliph would probably kill him. If he attacked, the French would probably kill him. Of course, if he attacked and--with Allah working overtime--won....So, he did attack; unfortunately, a sizeable portion of his army did not. These Arabs were too intent on guarding their plunder from the possibility of French pillagers (pickpocketing mimes, etc.) that they abstained from the battle. They were willing to live with the shame...and the loot. And they did live with both. The commander was not so lucky, and much of the Arab army died with him.

Because the Arab strategists (Paleo-Cons?) back in Spain had never considered the possibility of defeat, the Arab invasion had not even organized a clear chain of command. There was no one to succeed the dead commander. With the officers feuding and the army battered, the Arab force averted complete disintegration only by retreating back to Spain. The Arab threat to Western Europe was over, at least until O.P.E.C.

France was saved--but so were the Dark Ages
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I was even thinking someone was going to pick James II, mostly because he's who came to my mind first. Then I recalled "no...he fled to Ireland, and that was closer to 1700 than it was 1650." Two steps back got me to the right King.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Playing post-vacation catchup...
Vanya wrote:Prince Charles can take any name he likes when he becomes king. Smart money is on George, after his grandfather.
I'm gonna take a flyer here and predict that Prince Charles will never sit on the British throne. He and his longtime mistress/second wife will get bypassed in favor of his oldest son and his telegenic young bride.

Just two clams in J! round for me: Martin Luther and Charlemagne/Carloman. (Mom, Dad, could you have gotten a bit more creative?) Goebbels was a most hilarious miss, and I fully agree Dr. K was way overvalued. I was also amused that Eliot was a T.S.

Two Oxford mentions in three FJ clues... and I'm 3-for-3 so far this week.
In and out of the pool four times
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

reddpen wrote:I'm gonna take a flyer here and predict that Prince Charles will never sit on the British throne. He and his longtime mistress/second wife will get bypassed in favor of his oldest son and his telegenic young bride.
Whose gonna bypass him, because the rules clearly say he's next. Lizzie has gone on record in saying she's in favour of the status quo (and she has every reason to be, as she was quite upset at Eddie 8's abdication, which she blames on driving her father to an early grave), Charles isn't going to want to give up the sweet job, and it's a constitutional headache to say the very least to have the British parliament circumvent the law of succession (without even considering the other 15 Commonwealth realms, who all have to agree, otherwise William would be the king of Great Britian while Charles would be the king of Canada (which, btw, Harper has come out in favour of the status quo as well))

I will make it a True Daily Double that, barring him predeceasing his mother, Charles will become king. The saving grace will be that, since he'll be at least in his 60s when he takes the throne, his reign will most likely be mercifully short.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012