Friday, January 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Countries of the World
It's the largest country in area completely south of the Equator that has a female President.

Spoiler
What is Argentina? Michelle said Australia.

Michelle DeGrothy: $14,600-$900=$13,700...now a 1-day champion with $13,700
Seth Tribble: $6,800+$5,545=$12,345
Adrian Ho: $3,500+$3,000=$6,500
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Major brain sluggishness today. I was 0/15 at the first break, and there were SO MANY answers that I couldn't get to my mouth in time.

I wasn't subjected to moosey fate on the Moose category, as I got all but dewlap (NHOI).

If Alex hadn't taken so long to spit out "Ponzi", then we might've seen that last clue.

====

What was supposed to lead you to Golf on Capitals for $1200?

Fashion designers? Yawn.

I got only top and bottom in Capitals and Window.

$800 was the only one of those Love songs that I've heard of. $1200 was the only artist I didn't recognize.

Panama, armor, and duel were all overvalued.

Lach Trash on "what light through yonder window breaks" and whatever the DD was in the J! round.

====

FJ! was total crap IMO. Random piece of trivia that I doubt anyone could ever know cold, and yet it went 2/3. How?!
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: FJ! was total crap IMO. Random piece of trivia that I doubt anyone could ever know cold, and yet it went 2/3. How?!
Vermonter's TD would like a word with you. *Starts Merry-Go-Round music*
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead you to Golf on Capitals for $1200?
Augusta (and Pebble Beach?)

FJ! was total crap IMO. Random piece of trivia that I doubt anyone could ever know cold, and yet it went 2/3. How?!
And this "random piece of trivia that I doubt anyone could ever know cold" will likely break 70% on the weekly poll.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Michelle was very good except on FJ.

Picked up Lach trash on "baker's racks" and "St. Paul"

Got FJ after thinking about it for about 15 seconds.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

I said just "Furstenburg" for the wrap dress designer. Would they have counted that, do you think?
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I can't belive "Anne of Cleves" was a $1000 (or was it $2000 in DJ?) clue, especially since it had "Cleves" already in the clue.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Some of us knew of bakers' racks from TPIR.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I felt like this board had a lot of neg baity clues, as we saw the two male contestants neg a lot.

Yep, FJ was an instant get because of Vermonter's recent TD. I doubt that I would have known this one otherwise.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:And this "random piece of trivia that I doubt anyone could ever know cold" will likely break 70% on the weekly poll.
Yes, because everyone can take three data sets: 1.) countries south of the Equator, 2.) countries that are large, and 3.) countries with female Presidents in 30 seconds, and find the one that meets all three. Again, how do you do that?!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:And this "random piece of trivia that I doubt anyone could ever know cold" will likely break 70% on the weekly poll.
Yes, because everyone can take three data sets: 1.) countries south of the Equator, 2.) countries that are large, and 3.) countries with female Presidents in 30 seconds, and find the one that meets all three. Again, how do you do that?!
There are only 8 countries with female presidents and only 3 or 4 of them are rather well-known. Brazil's out as it isn't entirely south of the Equator and Argentina is the 8th largest country in the world (and 2nd largest entirely below the Equator). Done.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

For the second night in a row, I got FJ correct after writing down exactly five letters of an incorrect response, but then making the switch.

My thought process was something like this:

I knew some countries in Latin America had female presidents, such as Costa Rica and Brazil. Neither of those two countries lies completely below the equator. In fact, the list of countries that lie completely below the equator is not an enormous list -- and the list of such countries that are likely to be a correct FJ response is a still smaller list.

For example, I briefly considered South Africa, but I was pretty sure their current president was male. I then thought: They're just not gonna ask the question if the correct response is Swaziland or Botswana. If it's not South Africa, it's probably not Africa. That left Australia and New Zealand, but they don't have presidents. So I went back to South America. I actually wrote down Chile first. Then I thought: Argentina is bigger in area. The fact that they mentioned area might be a hint. Furthermore, I seemed to remember a prominent recent female politician in Argentina. Kirchner or Kirchherr or something. I wasn't totally sure that she was the current president, but "big country in southern South America who I vaguely associate with a female politician" was enough for me to write down Argentina.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: What was supposed to lead you to Golf on Capitals for $1200?
All of the cities listed either have extremely well-known golf courses, have hosted major golf tournaments, or in the case of Augusta, GA, both.
TenPoundHammer wrote: FJ! was total crap IMO. Random piece of trivia that I doubt anyone could ever know cold, and yet it went 2/3. How?!
Big difference between "trivia" and "information about current events that people who don't live under a rock could potentially be expected to know".
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

"Rembrance of things past"?
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

And here I thought I was the "Adrian Ho" (rimshot!).

Is it me, or are there more and more categories with oblique names, verging on 10,000 Pyramid style? Makes it harder to precall stuff, so I wonder if it's intentional.

Hubs got FJ before I even had a chance to answer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: What was supposed to lead you to Golf on Capitals for $1200?
All of the cities listed either have extremely well-known golf courses, have hosted major golf tournaments, or in the case of Augusta, GA, both.
I didn't even notice "Augusta" in the clue, as usual.
alamble wrote:
Big difference between "trivia" and "information about current events that people who don't live under a rock could potentially be expected to know".
Yes, I should be expected to know current events. But to me, this exact level of knowledge (female President + large country + south of the Equator) is just trivia.

For all the clues I miss every day, and for all the facts that refuse to stick in my brain no matter how hard you beat me over the head, I at least feel more often than not that something in the clue should be of interest and worth retaining, if I could ever figure out how to retain information. Argentina is the 8th largest country? Wow, I thought it was much smaller, so I'll try to keep that in mind. I at least knew that it was fully south of the Equator. Kirchner is Argentina's current President, and one of the only female Presidents? Fair enough. Argentina is the largest country south of the Equator that currently has a female President? Who cares?

To me, there's just no gain or relevance to this clue — it's like those "this President has the most vowels in their surname since Obama" type clues that I find so uninteresting.

(But now that I know how small the pool actually is of female Presidents, not that egregious.)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

30 seconds isn't a lot of time to get there, and my own reasoning was kind of circuitous, but now that I've had time to think about it, here's another way that somebody could have approached this FJ:

Try to think of a country that's fairly large in area, and completely south of the equator, whose leader is called a President. (So, not Australia.)
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I didn't even need the "female presidents" part of the Final Jeopardy question to get it. The phrasing of the question ruled out Brazil, and I was fortunate to stay in that part of the world. Was able to get Argentina after about five seconds or so (just needed to remember what it was called!).

J! did me pretty well with some good scores from Should've Told You and "Ad"-verbs. The TOM for me for the Video DD was "Italian", and I avoided the "two photos = two people" trap that the contestant fell for.

Said surfing instead of golf.