Second audition before the call?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Second audition before the call?

Post by boson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Matthew Church - a two-game champ from last year who is a student here at Queen's - shares some of his experiences on the web here: http://www.queensu.ca/news/articles/jeo ... xperiences

One interesting tidbit: he had two in-person auditions
"In June I was invited to audition in person on-camera in Toronto. Fairly soon after that I got a call back for another interview and by August I was given one month’s notice to get to Los Angeles for filming.”

Has anyone else had this second audition before getting the call? I hadn't heard of that happening before.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6011
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by alietr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:07 pm

To quote TPH, "NHOI".

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3050
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by davey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Or an on-camera audition for that matter.

User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by immaf » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 pm

When I had an in-person audition last June, they were, in fact, running a video camera. That's a new policy, and they said they were doing it just in case they wanted to be able to show a part of your interview for some reason. (I guess there was some kid last year, when they really wanted to be able to show his audition?)

For example, when asked what I would do with the money, I said something like "Well, if I reached Ken Jennings sort of levels, I imagine there would be a certain amount of fame attached to that. I would like to parlay that fame into a stint on "Dancing With the Stars". Now, if I ever in fact get asked to do the show, have Ken-Jennings-like success, and get a stint on DWtS, I'm sure the powers that be would like to be able provide ABC with the clip that showed me saying that's what I wanted.

Not gonna happen. None of it. And I would make a *terrible* ballroom dancer, but wouldn't it be cool to see a Jeopardy! champ on that show?
Teems with quiet fun.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3050
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by davey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 pm

immaf wrote:When I had an in-person audition last June, they were, in fact, running a video camera. That's a new policy, and they said they were doing it just in case they wanted to be able to show a part of your interview for some reason. (I guess there was some kid last year, when they really wanted to be able to show his audition?)

For example, when asked what I would do with the money, I said something like "Well, if I reached Ken Jennings sort of levels, I imagine there would be a certain amount of fame attached to that. I would like to parlay that fame into a stint on "Dancing With the Stars". Now, if I ever in fact get asked to do the show, have Ken-Jennings-like success, and get a stint on DWtS, I'm sure the powers that be would like to be able provide ABC with the clip that showed me saying that's what I wanted.

Not gonna happen. None of it. And I would make a *terrible* ballroom dancer, but wouldn't it be cool to see a Jeopardy! champ on that show?
Thanks for the info. I suppose it's overdue in our recorded society.

User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by georgespelvin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Well, it looks like they've added a "screen test" portion to the audition. I'll bet the real reason for the recording is to see how you might look on TV and, when picking groups for a taping session, getting a varied looking group of people. Do the invites now request a certain type of clothing to be avoided (e.g. stripes, bright colors) that would not be conducive to filming?
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

User avatar
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:15 am
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by sarah0114 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:16 pm

I don't recall my audition email saying anything about patterns/colors to avoid at the audition. They aren't using the fancy TV cameras/lighting so it might not matter as much.

User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by georgespelvin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks for the information Sarah, best of retroactive luck next week! :)
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

Setho
Valued Contributor
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by Setho » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:44 pm

When I auditioned back in 2009 they took polaroids of everyone. Do they still do that? Perhaps this has replaced taking photos.

User avatar
the_phil
60% or Bust
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by the_phil » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Setho wrote:When I auditioned back in 2009 they took polaroids of everyone. Do they still do that? Perhaps this has replaced taking photos.
They still take the polaroids. I get the impression that the video is for them to double-check what stuck out in their minds, etc. That, and to counteract any bad pictures on the polaroids. When Maggie took my picture, she wrote "better looking than this" because the picture was blurry and from a funny angle.

AlphaDummy
Contributor
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by AlphaDummy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:13 pm

the_phil wrote:They still take the polaroids. I get the impression that the video is for them to double-check what stuck out in their minds, etc. That, and to counteract any bad pictures on the polaroids. When Maggie took my picture, she wrote "better looking than this" because the picture was blurry and from a funny angle.
In which case, there is probably a photo of me in a file somewhere that has the note "Even uglier than the picture :shock: "...

MFalk
KJL #152
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:21 am

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by MFalk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:19 pm

boson wrote:One interesting tidbit: he had two in-person auditions
"In June I was invited to audition in person on-camera in Toronto. Fairly soon after that I got a call back for another interview and by August I was given one month’s notice to get to Los Angeles for filming.”
Do you think that the "call back" for another interview might be referring to a phone call back, rather than a callback audition? I know that people have reported getting a call from contestant coordinators out of the blue, and then getting The Call shortly thereafter.

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 3048
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by Magna » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:15 pm

the_phil wrote:she wrote "better looking than this" because the picture was blurry and from a funny angle.
I'll have to remind them to write that on my photo at the next audition!

TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by TreehugginCowgirl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:28 pm

immaf wrote:Not gonna happen. None of it. And I would make a *terrible* ballroom dancer, but wouldn't it be cool to see a Jeopardy! champ on that show?
Challenge accepted.

User avatar
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 946
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by lisa0012 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:44 pm

We had Polaroids in October, but I don't remember the video camera. We did have one for awhile because they were taping pieces for a news story, but after that guy left (he just stayed for the intro stuff) I don't think there was another one. Unless I was so nervous I just didn't see it?

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8746
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Magna wrote:
the_phil wrote:she wrote "better looking than this" because the picture was blurry and from a funny angle.
I'll have to remind them to write that on my photo at the next audition!
I'm writing that on my name badge at the audition.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by alamble » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:13 pm

immaf wrote:When I had an in-person audition last June, they were, in fact, running a video camera. That's a new policy, and they said they were doing it just in case they wanted to be able to show a part of your interview for some reason. (I guess there was some kid last year, when they really wanted to be able to show his audition?)
It was Leonard, last year's Teen Tournament winner.

User avatar
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by NYCScribbler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Setho wrote:When I auditioned back in 2009 they took polaroids of everyone. Do they still do that? Perhaps this has replaced taking photos.
They were still doing it last June- it was one of the few photos of me that was not completely awful, and I asked Robert if I could get a copy. No luck. :(
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH

User avatar
Vermonter
2003 College Champion
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by Vermonter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:42 pm

georgespelvin wrote:Well, it looks like they've added a "screen test" portion to the audition.
When I tried out in 2003, the ONLY thing I told myself was to pretend to be telegenic. Speak loud! Smile! Vary your pitch! Have fun!

I reverted to monotone with flat affect soon after.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

User avatar
debramc
Iced Mare Grub
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 am
Location: Princeton, TX

Re: Second audition before the call?

Post by debramc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:59 am

MFalk wrote:
boson wrote:One interesting tidbit: he had two in-person auditions
"In June I was invited to audition in person on-camera in Toronto. Fairly soon after that I got a call back for another interview and by August I was given one month’s notice to get to Los Angeles for filming.”
Do you think that the "call back" for another interview might be referring to a phone call back, rather than a callback audition? I know that people have reported getting a call from contestant coordinators out of the blue, and then getting The Call shortly thereafter.
Hmm, that seems possible. I hadn't heard of anyone getting a call between the audition and "The Call", but I'm not disputing it might happen. I know when I got my Call from Maggie she asked me a whole lot of questions and it almost felt like another interview, though not about content - more about going over all the eligibility rules. And she didn't actually say "We'd like you to come out and tape the show with us on such-and-such date..." until well into the conversation. I suppose it's conceivable that conversation could end with "Well, you may hear from us again soon. Thank you!" but doesnt seem real likely especially for someone like Matthew who was photogenic, charming, entirely capable - all around a better contestant than I was. Unless perhaps there was some eligibility issue they had to iron out first. Who knows?
Or perhaps in all the excitement Matthew misremembered some details, or the person interviewing him for the story got confused.

Post Reply