Wednesday, January 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6753, 2014-01-15

Sarah McNitt game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Danny Jacobs, a journalist from Laurel, Maryland
Emily Goodlander, an attorney from Baltimore, Maryland
Sarah McNitt, a study abroad adviser originally from Ann Arbor, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. The less I talk at the beginning of the program, the more time we have to get to clues, so, Danny and Emily, welcome aboard. Sarah, good to have you back. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round, first round of play today, with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FLOWERS AROUND THE WORLD (5/5)
I'D LIKE A SOFT DRINK (5/5)
STATE THE SENATOR (5/5)
6-LETTER ANAGRAMS (4/5) (Alex: In this category, each response will be two words.)
REALITY TV (5/5)
THAT LITERARY TITLE GUY IS UP TO SOMETHING (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Danny: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Emily: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Emily found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Sarah had $1,000, Emily had $600, and Danny was at $200. Emily wagered $1,000.

THAT LITERARY TITLE GUY IS UP TO SOMETHING $800: "Further and further back he cowered, as we, lifting our crucifixes, advanced"
(Emily: Who is Simon?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sarah: $4,800
Danny: $1,400
Emily: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: When Danny Jacobs was in high school he sent a letter to Dave Barry, asking him for some advice. Now, for the benefit of the people in our audience who don't know who Dave Barry is, tell me.

Danny: He's an award-winning humor columnist, one of my favorite writers. In high school, I wrote a humor column for my paper, so I wrote him a letter, sending him some of my columns, and asked for some advice. He said, "Dear Danny, I like your columns. My advice --keep writing them," and I have.

Alex: And that was it.

Danny: That was it.

Alex: Good advice. All right.

Alex: Emily Goodlander is an attorney from Baltimore, Maryland, who got to handle one of the few remaining what?

Emily: Existing copies of the Declaration of Independence --believed to be James Madison's copy.

Alex: And you got to handle it, or was it in a frame or what? I can't imagine that they would let you...

Emily: As an undergraduate at the University of Virginia, I worked in the special collections library, and that's one of their prized documents, and during the big move to the new library that they built, it was something that I was able to see and touch.

Alex: That's neat.

Sarah: All right, Sarah McNitt is our champion. And you are wearing a special necklace.

Alex: Yes. I'm wearing my mother's necklace. She passed away very recently from leukemia, and so our family's trying to keep her legacy alive by encouraging people to donate blood and to join the bone marrow registry.

Alex: Good for you. Good cause.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
6-LETTER ANAGRAMS $600: A 3-D piece of art, perhaps in marble, & the cunning or shrewd word you are when you respond

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sarah: $8,600
Danny: $2,800
Emily: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ASTRONOMY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LESSER-KNOWN NAMES (4/5)
SINGERS IN TOON (5/5)
LANDLOCKED COUNTRY FUN (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
30 YEARS (4/5)
I'M READY FOR "MOR" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 10 R, 1 W
Danny: 9 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Emily: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Emily snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sarah had $10,600, Emily had $4,000, and Danny was at $3,600. Emily wagered $3,000.

LANDLOCKED COUNTRY FUN $1600: This large landlocked Asian country starts with the same 3 letters as a day of the week

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Danny who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Sarah had $16,600, Emily had $7,000, and Danny was at $10,400. Danny wagered $1,500.

ASTRONOMY $1600: This planet's lowest point is Diana Chasma, a 1.8-mile-deep rift valley

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'M READY FOR "MOR" $2000: An accumulation of boulders & other debris carried along & deposited by a glacier
(Sarah: What is a morass?)

LANDLOCKED COUNTRY FUN $2000: Its name ends with the same 3 letters that begin the name of a huge neighbor

LESSER-KNOWN NAMES $2000: In 1897 Ronald Ross found that the parasite causing malaria gets into the blood via this mosquito genus

30 YEARS $800: Having failed to protect JFK, Clint Eastwood tries to thwart a new assassin 30 years later in this 1993 film

ASTRONOMY $1200: In 2010 Japan's Hayabusa spacecraft brought back dust samples from Itokawa, one of these objects
(Danny: What is a comet?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sarah: $16,600
Danny: $13,900
Emily: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
16th CENTURY PEOPLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sarah: Wager $11,201 to cover Danny.
Danny: You have to wager $101 to cover Emily's doubled score, but certainly no more than $6,899, so as to force Emily to be right to have a chance at winning.
Emily: Think about risking $1,600 or less, thereby beating Sarah on the Triple Stumper (should Sarah wager to cover Danny's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This non-Brit said in 1532, "I advised (Henry VIII) that it would be better for him to take a concubine than to ruin his people"

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $7,000 - $6,912 = $88 (Who is Pope Alexander) (3rd place: $1,000)
Danny: $13,900 - $11,000 = $2,900 (Who is The Pope) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sarah: $16,600 - $4,000 = $12,600 (Who is Pope Leo?) (2-day champion: $28,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $16,600, 23 R, 1 W
Danny: $14,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Emily: $6,600, 12 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Sarah: 23/58 = .397
Danny: 18/59 = .305
Emily: 12/60 = .200
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FLOWERS AROUND THE WORLD $200: Take a guess & name this country where these tulips were photographed

FLOWERS AROUND THE WORLD $400: China is the home of this beautiful red flower, seen resting on its pad
(Danny: What is a lotus blossom?)

FLOWERS AROUND THE WORLD $600: In "East of Eden," he wrote that the Salinas Valley was carpeted with poppies, like the ones seen here in Big Sur

FLOWERS AROUND THE WORLD $800: The snowbell starts its growth before the snow melts on this range that includes Julian & Bernese sections

FLOWERS AROUND THE WORLD $1000: These hibiscuses are used to taking on water in this state, where you'll find the U.S.A.'s wettest weather station

I'D LIKE A SOFT DRINK $1000: A Detroit pharmacist created the Vernors brand of this soft drink in 1866
(Danny: What is Dr. Brown's?)

REALITY TV $200: Trace Adkins defeated Penn Jillette in the finale of the All-Star edition of this Trump-tastic show
(Danny: What is The Apprentice?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

REALITY TV $400: (I'm Chuck Todd of NBC News.) I'm obsessed with the A&E reality series in which Barry & Dave bid on repossessed goods found in lockers or units that's called these "Wars"

6-LETTER ANAGRAMS $800: A country or territory, & to make sacred by applying oil
(Emily: What is anoint...)
(Alex: Oh! [beep] You took too much time.)

30 YEARS $400: U.S. Treasury bonds reach this, the point at which they come due, after 30 years; some people take a lot longer
(Emily: [selecting the clue] Celebrate my birthday -- "30 Years" for $400, please.)

I'M READY FOR "MOR" $800: An official suspension of an ongoing activity
[NOTE: Alex misreads "official" as "unofficial".]

LESSER-KNOWN NAMES $800: Doughboy Frank Buckles, who passed away in 2011 at age 110, was the last surviving U.S. vet of this war
(Emily: What was the Civil War?)

SINGERS IN TOON $1200: This rapper/actress/talk show host is the voice of Ellie the woolly mammoth in the "Ice Age" movies
(Emily: Who is Ellen DeGeneres?)

ASTRONOMY $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a diagram on the monitor.) The Moon's phase occurring between the first quarter & the full moon is described as gibbous & this, meaning growing, as the illuminated area is increasing

CORRECT RESPONSES
Dracula
statue & astute
Mongolia
Venus
a moraine
Belarus
the Anopheles
In the Line of Fire
an asteroid
Martin Luther
the Netherlands
a (water) lily
(John) Steinbeck
the Alps
Hawaii
ginger ale
Celebrity Apprentice
Storage Wars
anoint & nation
maturity
a moratorium
World War I
Queen Latifah
a waxing gibbous
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

16th Century People
This non-Brit said in 1532, "I advised (Henry VIII) that it would be better for him to take a concubine than to ruin his people".

Spoiler
Who is Martin Luther? Emily said Pope Alexander; Danny said The Pope; Sarah said Pope Leo.

Sarah McNitt: $16,600-$4,000=$12,600...now a 2-day champion with $28,400
Danny Jacobs: $13,900-$11,000=$2,900
Emily Goodlander: $7,000-$6,912=$88
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Shocked I ran the flowers category, though it helped that the bottom three required no floral knowledge at all.

More bad FJ wagers. The late DD wager was bad as well. Not only did it give him no chance to take the lead, it left him open to being passed for second if he missed it and the lady in the middle got the last clue right.

I also had the pope (no name) for FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Roy Rogers was my only miss in Soft Drinks. NHO that particular drink.

Statue/Astute was my only miss in Anagrams because I couldn't think of a 6-letter word for something made of marble.

0/5 in Senators and Literature. I can never keep Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn straight, and I blanked on both Oliver Twist and Dracula.

====

Renaissance was overvalued at $1200, and Bopp even moreso at $2000.

Animation is usually a wheelhouse, but I got only $800 in Singers in Toon.

Got only 5 right in DJ!

====

And for the eighth day in a row, I'm so lost at sea on FJ! that I can't even muster up a guess.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congratulations sarah0114 on another win!

Picked up Lach trash on "moraine"

Didn't get FJ.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Given the category "16th century people", my precalls during the commercial break were Martin Luther, Michelangelo, and Henry VIII.

When the FJ clue was revealed, the first name to come to mind, as someone who advised Henry VIII, was Thomas More. I wrote that down, but then I realized that he was almost certainly British and the clue specifically asked for a non-Brit. So I then figured, someone from continental Europe who had an opinion about Henry VIII breaking away from the church.

I crossed out Thomas More and wrote Martin Luther. I wasn't totally happy about it, because I wasn't sure whether the author of the quote merely disapproved of the particulars of how Henry VIII broke with the church, or was unhappy about breaking away from the church at all.

Despite those second thoughts, I didn't really have time to change my mind any more times, so I stayed with Luther, luckily for me.

Congrats to Sarah on win #2. Her challengers did a good job of catching up and making it close after Sarah got out to an early lead.
PlayerWM86
Contributor

Post by PlayerWM86 »

Wow...I guess it's just one of those days on J!, huh? (And I'm trying to recover from food poisoning, which happened around Michelle (the former champ)'s first game five days ago.)

And like Bamaman, I have to agree - Danny's DD wager in the final moments of DJ! left a lot to be desired. I got 4/5 in Reality TV and 2/5 in the voices category in DJ!. Since fall of last year, I have gotten into watching full episodes of J! a little more.

I have a feeling today just got invaded by contestants from the state of Maryland, starting with The Price is Right this morning when a woman from Baltimore won her Showcase. Seeing that it's ex-WWE wrestler/media mogul Shane McMahon's 44th birthday today and he is from Maryland (by way of Gaithersburg), I thought of him when I saw Emily (from Baltimore) and Danny (from Laurel). And just as I'm posting this, there's someone on Wheel of Fortune just now ALSO from the state of Maryland).

And for FJ!, however...I couldn't come up with anything. History's not my strong suit sometimes when I'm playing along. :(
Avid J! watcher since 1989 & failing at J! video games since 1995.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Famous European in the 1500's who had to do with religion? Martin Luther was the first name that came to mind, although I wasn't 100% sure of myself.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Wow - one of the most difficult FJs I've seen in years with very little in the clue to go on. I coincidentally thought of Martin Luther as a figure from the time period but immediately discounted the answer because there didn't seem to be a sufficient link. I would have said "the Pope," just as the players did.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats Sarah. Sorry to hear about your mom.

had More for FJ. Would a Scot be considered a non-Brit? Got caught thinking if More was Scot :(
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I did surprisingly well on this board until FJ. Somehow, I managed to get "Belarus" at the bottom of the board. I guess that "large neighbor" just led me to Russia. I did a powerpoint presentation on DDT use when I was in college, which enabled me to get the Lach trash on Anopheles. I did join the male contestant in guessing "comet" for "asteroid," though; the clue mentioning dust sent me in the wrong direction.

I had no idea on FJ. I thought of religious figures at first, but couldn't think of any that fit. I ended up guessing Catherine of Aragon. This strikes me as a lame clue with a weak TOM, very similar to the one on Queen Victoria from a few weeks ago.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Precalled ML on FJ!.

Overall, a pretty decent game, and another win for a boardie! Congrats to Sarah!
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Fell for the pope trap but couldn't come up with a specific name. I only know the last few or so (John Paul I on).
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Missed The Pope Trap on FJ ---- mmm, The Pope Trap, could be a good book title --- and fastened on the non-British part of the clue, and thought, well, maybe it was Henry VIII's first wife, Catherine of Aragon. Perhaps she was open-minded enough so that she would allow Henry to stray to save the kingdom.

Um, no.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did go towards Catherine but considered her father, but figured he'd be dead by 1532.
davey

Post by davey »

My response was Machiavelli. I still think it's a good guess. Turns out Niccolo died in 1527, around the time Henry was trying to decide what to do with Catherine of Aragon (apparently the subject of his correspondence with Luther).
Alex seemed either amused or scornful of the guesses. But why is a pope a less likely candidate than Martin Luther??
Leander

Post by Leander »

DysonSphere wrote:Wow - one of the most difficult FJs I've seen in years with very little in the clue to go on. I coincidentally thought of Martin Luther as a figure from the time period but immediately discounted the answer because there didn't seem to be a sufficient link. I would have said "the Pope," just as the players did.
Martin Luther was the only name I could come up with, and I reasoned might be the only likely name Jeopardy writers would expect someone to know from the time period.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Because Alex is Catholic? I knew it wasn't Catherine of Aragon since I loved "The Tudors" and I doubted a Pope would give that advice so I guessed Tge King of France. Btw in "The Tudors" the Pope was played by Peter O'Toole, the great Irish actor.

I rooted for Sarah after I heard her story. My deepest sympathies...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Well, the popes weren't always living a chaste lifestyle back then. Also, I didn't take it as encouraging him to take a concubine, but saying that was a better alternative than ruining his people by splitting with Rome.