Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by reddpen »

reddpen wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm
QBall wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 amTo get this topic nack on track, I've seen at least two people mention they just got invites for auditions in Seattle next month.
Next year before the online test, will someone please remind everyone--especially those whose scores tend toward the upper end of the scale--that Roger Craig didn't get on the show till his online test score dropped--quite deliberately--to 40 from the high 40s?
acthomas wrote:Citation please?
Well, he told me this privately--maybe at TCONA back in 2012 though I don't recall the precise circumstances--so perhaps I hadn't ought to have repeated it.
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:41 pmSo you're saying that the highest scorers on the online test are excluded by the selection algorithm? I don't buy it ;)
me either...see above
I'm not saying anything nearly so sweeping, as I have about as much insight into the contestant selection process as everyone else not working for Sony Pictures Entertainment. I'm offering a single data point from one of the more successful contestants of all time, who seemed pretty convinced that his decision to shoot for such a score played a part in his own selection. YMMV.
In and out of the pool four times
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Probably true and almost certainly unrelated. Pretty certain TPTB aren't excluding test scores because they're too high...

That said, my scores dropped this year from working 10 hour days on my place and Grandpa's house, the honey-do list grows geometrically!
Maybe this improves chances of an audition; I wonder now that candidates have accounts to track tests, if cumulative scores are considered?

BTW, I knew AT and I had this Harry Homeowner fixit guy thing in common- if the Call ever comes, this will be my interview topic! ;)

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features ... tory_1_CTA
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Oh for the love of friggin gawd!

Yes all we have are opinions and speculation regarding the casting process--and yes it is a casting process, so don't go thinking it's anything other than that; but can we at least be realistic about these things??? Please???

This is not going to be an overcomplicated, or for that matter a complicated process. Anything other than simple takes time. Anything that takes time takes manpower. Anything that takes manpower takes money, and this show does have a budget.

Keep in mind, this show doesn't (or at least didn't prior to the Jeff Kirby tie incident) even keep a simple database of who has appeared on the show.

With seeing 2500 people each year, and with people being in the pool for 18 months at a time, even a total random selection will give them a diverse enough lot to get 50/50 gender, with a mix of race, occupation, hometown, varied hobbies, etc.

Here is how to get on the show:

1. take test
2. pass test
3. be selected for audition
4. get a score high enough on the in-person test so they don't think you were cheating on the online test
5. do a good job on the mock game and interview
6. be lucky enough to be the person they feel they need on the show so you get the call.

so, for each step, I'll explain:

1. take test--I think we've all got this part figured out

2. pass test--No we don't know if they have a hard score (such as 35) for passing, or a floating score (such as top 10% of all scores). Yes we do know there has been a wide variety of passing scores from 35+ reported here (someone claimed something around a 33, but also said they couldn't be sure of their score). One thing we do know from what's been reported on here, nobody can verify they scored lower than 35 and still got an in person audition.

3. be selected for audition--this is a random draw from all those who also passed the test AND also chose the same audition city as you. They don't have enough other information to make their picks, and frankly, this would take more effort/time/manpower/money so it just simply isn't happening. If you really believe otherwise, enjoy your conspiracy theory. Roger Craig may have had his audition by scoring lower, but that would simply be a coincidence. No friggin way would Jeopardy want to specifically exclude the highest scoring people. It's been 13 years since Ken Jennings was on, and you better believe the show wants to find the next Ken Jennings. It raises ratings for the show, which in turn raises revenue for the show--that's how television works, it is a business to make money. Excluding high scoring people would be shooting themselves in the foot for this endeavor. Now I don't remember giving my gender when signing up for the test, so if that isn't something we do, then there is no way for the show to ensure 50/50 gender at the audition. However, if that is information we have given the show, it would be easy to split that random draw by having two random drawings (one from male, one from female). They don't have the time to go checking our social media profiles for other information, and again, that would take time, which means that would take money they aren't gonna spend.

4. get a score high enough on the in-person test so they don't think you were cheating on the online test--yeah, now is not the time to blow it and get a 20. At this point there is no way to even guess how far they might lower the bar, but just for speculation purposes, if you get maybe a 32 in person and do great on steps 5 & 6 below, they might just overlook the lower in-person score.

5. do a good job on the mock game and interview--call out categories and values with authority, when you are called on to answer, give an answer with confidence, give a great interview no matter what they talk to you about (my episode of Millionaire had me fielding a question I wasn't prepared to answer. I was fully expecting to be asked about something else from the way prep went, but I managed to answer just fine).

6. be lucky enough to be the person they feel they need on the show so you get the call--nothing more to say here
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 pm Oh for the love of friggin gawd!

3. be selected for audition--this is a random draw from all those who also passed the test AND also chose the same audition city as you. They don't have enough other information to make their picks, and frankly, this would take more effort/time/manpower/money so it just simply isn't happening. If you really believe otherwise, enjoy your conspiracy theory. Roger Craig may have had his audition by scoring lower, but that would simply be a coincidence. No friggin way would Jeopardy want to specifically exclude the highest scoring people. It's been 13 years since Ken Jennings was on, and you better believe the show wants to find the next Ken Jennings. It raises ratings for the show, which in turn raises revenue for the show--that's how television works, it is a business to make money. Excluding high scoring people would be shooting themselves in the foot for this endeavor. Now I don't remember giving my gender when signing up for the test, so if that isn't something we do, then there is no way for the show to ensure 50/50 gender at the audition. However, if that is information we have given the show, it would be easy to split that random draw by having two random drawings (one from male, one from female). They don't have the time to go checking our social media profiles for other information, and again, that would take time, which means that would take money they aren't gonna spend.
The producers have city, gender (yes, they do - log in to your jeopardy account now) and score. They could make choices based on these with a couple of lines of code. I don't know how you can be so sure they don't. They can also change this from time to time without telling us if they find their auditions or contestants aren't to their liking.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:50 pm

The producers have city, gender (yes, they do - log in to your jeopardy account now) and score. They could make choices based on these with a couple of lines of code. I don't know how you can be so sure they don't. They can also change this from time to time without telling us if they find their auditions or contestants aren't to their liking.
I addressed city, gender and score, and didn't say that they didn't use all three--you even quoted the part where I stated this.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 pm 3. be selected for audition--this is a random draw from all those who also passed the test AND also chose the same audition city as you.
Assuming this is true, and assuming that they spent the same number of days in each city, you might be able to game this one a bit by picking the city with less "draw" - e.g. Baltimore over DC/Boston over New York/Vancouver over Seattle.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

TomFromMD wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 pm 3. be selected for audition--this is a random draw from all those who also passed the test AND also chose the same audition city as you.
Assuming this is true, and assuming that they spent the same number of days in each city, you might be able to game this one a bit by picking the city with less "draw" - e.g. Baltimore over DC/Boston over New York/Vancouver over Seattle.
But then it becomes too much like a "Think Different" game. Will more people choose Baltimore just for that very reason? Will selecting Baltimore cause me to sheep and be closed out of an audition?

I chose Baltimore because it's roughly 25 miles closer to my place of residence than DC is. And I can hit a Shop-Rite and/or Trader Joe's on the way home.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Yes all we have are opinions and speculation regarding the casting process--and yes it is a casting process, so don't go thinking it's anything other than that; but can we at least be realistic about these things??? Please???

This is not going to be an overcomplicated, or for that matter a complicated process. Anything other than simple takes time. Anything that takes time takes manpower. Anything that takes manpower takes money, and this show does have a budget.

Keep in mind, this show doesn't (or at least didn't prior to the Jeff Kirby tie incident) even keep a simple database of who has appeared on the show.

With seeing 2500 people each year, and with people being in the pool for 18 months at a time, even a total random selection will give them a diverse enough lot to get 50/50 gender, with a mix of race, occupation, hometown, varied hobbies, etc.

1. take test
2. pass test
4. get a score high enough on the in-person test so they don't think you were cheating on the online test
6. be lucky enough to be the person they feel they need on the show so you get the call.
Now if you could just tell me for the love of God how to pass Step 3.....

I know we don't REALLY know what the passing score is on the online test, BUT...if our conventional wisdom is correct, and the passing score is still the same 35/50 that it was all those years before the era of the online quiz, then...

Since 2009, I have passed the online quiz nine times without getting an invitation to an audition. They'd better call me soon, as both my brain and my telegenic good looks are fading as we speak.

I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

But we know (from past reports of auditions) that they DON'T spend the same number of days in each city. I don't think it's possible to game the system in any significant way. Just do your best to pass the test, cross your fingers and hope you get an audition, get the call, etc.
Teems with quiet fun.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I don't know if they spend an equal amount of time in each city, but I have done exactly this by choosing Charlotte this time around as I figure there are fewer people who take the test there due to lower population numbers, and therefore fewer passers.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

BobF wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 am
But then it becomes too much like a "Think Different" game. Will more people choose Baltimore just for that very reason? Will selecting Baltimore cause me to sheep and be closed out of an audition?

I chose Baltimore because it's roughly 25 miles closer to my place of residence than DC is. And I can hit a Shop-Rite and/or Trader Joe's on the way home.
I think the vast majority would choose that which is closest and costs less. Sure Charlotte will cost me more, but I feel it will up my odds of getting that in person audition, so that's the city of my choosing at this time.

I am lucky enough to live within a one day drive to about 35% of the US population, so many cities are options for me.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 am

1. take test
2. pass test
Now if you could just tell me for the love of God how to pass Step 3.....

I know we don't REALLY know what the passing score is on the online test, BUT...if our conventional wisdom is correct, and the passing score is still the same 35/50 that it was all those years before the era of the online quiz, then...

Since 2009, I have passed the online quiz nine times without getting an invitation to an audition. They'd better call me soon, as both my brain and my telegenic good looks are fading as we speak.

I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille.
If I knew the answer to step #3, I wouldn't have passed all the tests I have while waiting for my first in person audition :) Although see my replies just barely upthread about how I believe I have upped my odds.

I am firmly in the 35/50 camp, but the reality of the situation is we don't know, and it would be easy to take a top percentile. We also have the information among ourselves that nobody got that invite with a confirmed score of less than 35. By confirmed score I mean someone who diligently checked their answers and truly believes the score they are reporting is correct.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

immaf wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 am
But we know (from past reports of auditions) that they DON'T spend the same number of days in each city. I don't think it's possible to game the system in any significant way. Just do your best to pass the test, cross your fingers and hope you get an audition, get the call, etc.
I'm sure there are many reasons they spend more time in one place than another, including availability of the location at each destination, which may also include availability of the location at their next destination (Oh, we're in Boston on Tuesday, but New York won't be ready until Thursday, so let's spend an extra day in Boston). Could even be due to filming for clues such as "we're at the Betsy Ross house in Philadelphia..." and they are doing testing around the schedule of such filming.

I still think I'm upping my odds by getting out of the killer competition area of the northeast corridor, but yeah, that difference in time spent could either help me or hurt me, and it is something that is unpredictable when choosing that audition city.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 am I still think I'm upping my odds by getting out of the killer competition area of the northeast corridor, but yeah, that difference in time spent could either help me or hurt me, and it is something that is unpredictable when choosing that audition city.
This is the third time in the last several posts boasting about how you think you've upped you're odds, but yet you admit you really have no clue. Just like the rest of us. None of us have any evidence that can prove or disprove any ability to game the system.

Yeah, it's incredibly frustrating to those who continue to take and pass the test only to get passed over for an audition over and over again. But that doesn't mean we're doing anything wrong in regards to the process.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 am I still think I'm upping my odds by getting out of the killer competition area of the northeast corridor, but yeah, that difference in time spent could either help me or hurt me, and it is something that is unpredictable when choosing that audition city.
This is the third time in the last several posts boasting about how you think you've upped you're odds, but yet you admit you really have no clue. Just like the rest of us. None of us have any evidence that can prove or disprove any ability to game the system.

Yeah, it's incredibly frustrating to those who continue to take and pass the test only to get passed over for an audition over and over again. But that doesn't mean we're doing anything wrong in regards to the process.
So when you're on the highway and it's shut down and everyone is being forced to exit and there's no detour posted and you don't have gps, a phone or any maps, you don't follow your instincts and take the roads that seem like they'll get you to where you're going...you just sit on the shoulder and wait for the highway to reopen?

Well good for you
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Completely off the subject, but I finally got another audition; next month in Seattle.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bomtr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 am Completely off the subject, but I finally got another audition; next month in Seattle.
About damn time.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

bomtr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 am Completely off the subject, but I finally got another audition; next month in Seattle.
no, that's completely on the subject...go get it!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Awesome news, my LLamadaddy. Got get 'em!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to bomtr! Hopefully it'll lead to the call.