Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by OSXpert »

Just got an invite to Chicago for August 16th. This is my first invite after a good amount of passing scores.
rawrali

Post by rawrali »

Received invite to Chicago audition Aug 17. This is my 4th audition I believe (+1 college audition way back when). Hoping I can quickly coordinate my time off work since I have to come up from St Louis.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats OSX and rawrali! Make jboard proud!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Good luck, all! (And rawrali, kick some butt for StL!)
swale
Contributor

Post by swale »

britt408 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:22 pm Anyone here who chose Omaha? Haven't seen any mention of auditions so I'm still crossing my fingers! Finished swimming for the first time in December so another dip in the pool so to speak would be nice :)
I also chose Omaha; no invite yet.
ToeKneeArmAss
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ToeKneeArmAss »

boson wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm Congrats OSX and rawrali! Make jboard proud!
Yes! Very happy for you both. Kick some butt.

Do you mind sharing your online test scores?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

boson wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm Congrats OSX and rawrali! Make jboard proud!
Yay! Dress to impress :P
rawrali

Post by rawrali »

ToeKneeArmAss wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:49 am
Yes! Very happy for you both. Kick some butt.

Do you mind sharing your online test scores?
I'm going somewhat on memory here but I took the Pacific test on June 1 and I got around 45. Could have been 44-46, I don't remember exactly. I played the previous two days beforehand using the youtube videos and I definitely did the best on the Pacific test, glad I chose to take that one.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Thank you - I'm definitely planning on dressing well and I'm trying to narrow down my good stories. My memory is hazy now but I think I got in the low 40s.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 pm Thank you - I'm definitely planning on dressing well and I'm trying to narrow down my good stories. My memory is hazy now but I think I got in the low 40s.
I auditioned in July in NYC and they didn't ask anyone about the the 5 stories. So yes, prepare, but also be ready to just go with the flow: tell me about yourself, what do you do for fun, what would you do if you won a lot of $

And I would say dress well, but you have to feel comfortable in whatever you decide to wear. I think casual chic is better than corporate/ job interview. You don't want to look too buttoned up- just my opinion. I wore a jacket with cotton pants and a linen shirt- no tie. I was surprised at what a few people decided to wear but again- that's just me. It's highly personal
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:19 pm
OSXpert wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 pm Thank you - I'm definitely planning on dressing well and I'm trying to narrow down my good stories. My memory is hazy now but I think I got in the low 40s.
I auditioned in July in NYC and they didn't ask anyone about the the 5 stories. So yes, prepare, but also be ready to just go with the flow: tell me about yourself, what do you do for fun, what would you do if you won a lot of $

And I would say dress well, but you have to feel comfortable in whatever you decide to wear. I think casual chic is better than corporate/ job interview. You don't want to look too buttoned up- just my opinion. I wore a jacket with cotton pants and a linen shirt- no tie. I was surprised at what a few people decided to wear but again- that's just me. It's highly personal
Even though they didn't ask, is it still on the application? All shows ask for stories. You'd be surprised how many can't come up with even three.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:05 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:19 pm I auditioned in July in NYC and they didn't ask anyone about the the 5 stories. So yes, prepare, but also be ready to just go with the flow: tell me about yourself, what do you do for fun, what would you do if you won a lot of $

Even though they didn't ask, is it still on the application? All shows ask for stories. You'd be surprised how many can't come up with even three.
It is indeed. I definitely spent a lot of time putting mine together before my audition in May and was surprised that they didn't call on them like they had before. But they still have them at their disposal for later screens.
MsBean
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by MsBean »

Long time lurker, first time poster here...Hello everyone!

I passed the online test in May, got the audition invite late June and auditioned this week in LA. It was my third time in a row passing the test and first time being called to audition. I believe my score was 40, which is pretty consistent with how I do every year. My husband who took the test just for fun (but forgot to mark it as such) scored in the high 30's and got the email invite too, but he declined. I don't know If they change the test questions between auditions so it might've been a conflict of interest if we both went. I'm pretty sure the invites were a result of this year's test since I had registered with a different email address last year. Almost makes me wonder if they just piled up the applications from the last two tests and decided to do one giant audition this summer...Seems too much of a coincidence that we both got called this year.

My audition was a bit of a let down so I don't think you'll see me on TV anytime soon :) The written test was fine but I didn't do as good as I hoped in the mock game or the interview. I was one of the first ones they called and they didn't ask any of us about their stories, though I noticed they started asking people in the later groups. Maybe they felt like they were running long in the beginning and were rushing a bit, I don't know...I thought I would get more time to be funny/witty and it was over in a couple questions. So be prepared to be squeeze your entire interview into a quick couple minutes and open with a good punch line!

Ours wasn't a particularly chatty group and everyone rushed out the door as soon as it was done. Also no group hugs in the beginning:) If there's anyone here that were at the LA auditions, feel free to drop me a PM!
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Denver audition checking in!

Post by RobW »

This afternoon I got an invitation to audition in Denver on August 18th.

I think I got a 40 on the June test.

Good luck to all of the others who are similarly fortunate, and even more to others waiting to hear! (this is my first audition invitation after 4 or 5 "successful" online tests)

Rob
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Denver audition checking in!

Post by AFRET CMS »

doitneatly wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 pm This afternoon I got an invitation to audition in Denver on August 18th.

I think I got a 40 on the June test.

Good luck to all of the others who are similarly fortunate, and even more to others waiting to hear! (this is my first audition invitation after 4 or 5 "successful" online tests)

Rob
Congrats -- I did my audition in Denver, also. Feb 2015. Two groups of 25-30 across the street from the Brown Palace; I was in the afternoon group. Lots of fun! Had several anecdotes prepared, then thought I blew the audition when Corina asked me an off-wall-question for which I had no rehearsed answer, so be ready to go "off script." Have fun, and good luck!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Is anyone else besides me leery of opening this thread when you see new posts in it? Each new post means someone else got an email to audition that I didn't get. I've been passed over for auditions so many times it seems like it will never happen, but the renewed interest in Canadian contestants had me hoping. I used to consider getting the jeopardy call as something that happened to other, mostly mythical, people. Sort of like winning a lottery, seeing a moose along the highway or playing pro sports. Then I actually got the call... for Cyndi when she was away at a conference. It can happen to real people!

Still no word on Toronto auditions, so I'm safe for now.

Good luck all! Hope you get an email before this thread gets bumped again!

(sorry for bumping the thread for those who have auditionreportphobia like me)
(I've lived in Canada most of my life and camped several times in Algonquin park and still never seen a moose in the wild. They are a myth)
jsm378
Valued Contributor

Post by jsm378 »

boson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am Is anyone else besides me leery of opening this thread when you see new posts in it?
Yeah I do. Thanks for adding a new post to it and furthering my anxiety!!!!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am Is anyone else besides me leery of opening this thread when you see new posts in it? Each new post means someone else got an email to audition that I didn't get. I've been passed over for auditions so many times it seems like it will never happen, but the renewed interest in Canadian contestants had me hoping. I used to consider getting the jeopardy call as something that happened to other, mostly mythical, people. Sort of like winning a lottery, seeing a moose along the highway or playing pro sports. Then I actually got the call... for Cyndi when she was away at a conference. It can happen to real people!

(I've lived in Canada most of my life and camped several times in Algonquin park and still never seen a moose in the wild. They are a myth)
Nope, it gets me excited and hoping to see Charlotte as the next city for invites. I've had seven passes now, and no invites. I couldn't win a random drawing if I was the only entrant.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am Still no word on Toronto auditions, so I'm safe for now.
Or Vancouver (my chosen), did panic a bit when I saw Seattle auditions having been held recently, as I would have thought that it'd be easy to hop up to Vancouver after, but what do I know, I only worked in dispatch for ten years and my wife is trained in logistics. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

boson wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am Is anyone else besides me leery of opening this thread when you see new posts in it? Each new post means someone else got an email to audition that I didn't get. I've been passed over for auditions so many times it seems like it will never happen, but the renewed interest in Canadian contestants had me hoping. I used to consider getting the jeopardy call as something that happened to other, mostly mythical, people. Sort of like winning a lottery, seeing a moose along the highway or playing pro sports. Then I actually got the call... for Cyndi when she was away at a conference. It can happen to real people!

You aren't the only one. D.C. Is especially discouraging for getting an audition. I chose Buffalo once--it didn't help. Taken and passed the test every time since they went online. I've been ramping up since Karl Coryat's article, late 90s maybe. As someone posted a few pages back, I'm not getting any younger either.

I did see a moose in the wild in Alaska. Maybe I'll choose Fairbanks for my next audition city.