Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Golf »

clt013 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:56 am So I auditioned in Omaha yesterday afternoon. A few notes:

There were 18 men and 3 women in the group.
Guaranteed the 3 women will appear on the show. And then maybe 3 of the 18 men. Man grumble.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Someone posted on reddit that s/he just got the call ... 30 months after the audition. That's just cruel, man
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 am Someone posted on reddit that s/he just got the call ... 30 months after the audition. That's just cruel, man
Welp, there goes that record :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 am Someone posted on reddit that s/he just got the call ... 30 months after the audition. That's just cruel, man
I'll take that cruelty any day over not getting The Call at all. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 am
I'll take that cruelty any day over not getting The Call at all. :D
Hear, hear, H.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

clt013 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:56 am So I auditioned in Omaha yesterday afternoon. A few notes:

There were 18 men and 3 women in the group. (Also, a local meteorologist participated for fun - there was a video of the report on the WOWT-TV web site.)
Maggie said that Sports Jeopardy! is officially "suspended".
Order of events was something like: Welcome, game play tips with Corina, the 50 question test, a Q&A with Kelly while tests were being graded, mock game & interviews
Two J! card games handed out to randomly selected people, then we all got earbuds on the way out
I was there, too! (I was the guy singing Taylor Swift :P ). Good luck!
Golf wrote: Guaranteed the 3 women will appear on the show. And then maybe 3 of the 18 men. Man grumble.
When I told my wife there were only 3 women in the room, she said the same thing, "Well that doesn't seem fair. I'm sure all 3 of them will get on the show!"

If the below is true, it's probably only 1-2 of the men! :shock:
doitneatly wrote: "75,000 people take the online quiz,
We invite 2,000-3,000 for in-person auditions,
300-400 get called to tape an appearance."
10-20% would get somewhere from 2-4 from each audition group?
Sheepin' it real.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:35 pm
Good luck to you as well - would be great to see anybody (including Rusty the ineligible meteorologist) who was there on the show. :)
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Golf wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:22 am

There were 18 men and 3 women in the group.
Guaranteed the 3 women will appear on the show. And then maybe 3 of the 18 men. Man grumble.
Well I sure hope you are right since I was one of those 3 women :D This is my 2nd time swimming in the adult pool but I also had auditions for the teen tournament twice, and college tournament once. So if they'd just put me on now that'd be great!
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

clt013 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 pm
Good luck to you as well - would be great to see anybody (including Rusty the ineligible meteorologist) who was there on the show. :)
Rusty was pretty good - too bad he's not eligible! Good luck to you both!!
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

britt408 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:01 pm
clt013 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 pm
Rusty was pretty good - too bad he's not eligible! Good luck to you both!!
Of course they put Rusty's best get on the air:

http://www.wowt.com/video?vid=448087093
Sheepin' it real.
quartinsession
Contributor

Post by quartinsession »

Just got an invite to audition in Toronto on November 15! This is my second audition (first was in 2014), and I'm quite surprised because I thought this was the first online test on which I scored less than 35 (I was thinking 33 or 34). :D :D :D :D :D
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mfc248 »

I've started hearing that emails for a set of auditions in Toronto have been sent out; nothing yet on when said auditions might be held.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

quartinsession wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 pm Just got an invite to audition in Toronto on November 15! This is my second audition (first was in 2014), and I'm quite surprised because I thought this was the first online test on which I scored less than 35 (I was thinking 33 or 34). :D :D :D :D :D
That's great! Good luck at the audition.

I was hoping for an audition this year, but I had a pretty poor test result. Fingers crossed that it won't take another 3 years before the auditions come back to Toronto!
JEB
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JEB »

It really irritates me - sufficiently to register in order to make this comment - to see the consistent expression of the idea that women who audition are "guaranteed" to get on the show, while poor men don't have an equal shot. I've auditioned three times and not been asked to be on the show yet (I am in the current pool) and I'm sure many women could say the same. I also haven't found the audition pool to be that dramatically unbalanced. There were more men then women in my first two auditions but not drastically so; ironically the most unbalanced pool was at the most recent one in a stereo-typically more liberal and larger city. I did at that audition overhear the same old "oh I'm an old white guy so I'll never get on" talk. I know it must be frustrating to have a dream that is subject to non-objective factors. You can't get on Jeopardy by getting the highest score on the test - you have to appeal to them enough for them to want to put you on a tv show. But I would think a little about what kind of impression you might be creating when you have this kind of sour grapes attitude at the back of your mind. And I'd also think a little bit more about how offensive it is to be making the assumptions I see some of you making.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

JEB wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:32 pm It really irritates me - sufficiently to register in order to make this comment - to see the consistent expression of the idea that women who audition are "guaranteed" to get on the show, while poor men don't have an equal shot. I've auditioned three times and not been asked to be on the show yet (I am in the current pool) and I'm sure many women could say the same. I also haven't found the audition pool to be that dramatically unbalanced. There were more men then women in my first two auditions but not drastically so; ironically the most unbalanced pool was at the most recent one in a stereo-typically more liberal and larger city. I did at that audition overhear the same old "oh I'm an old white guy so I'll never get on" talk. I know it must be frustrating to have a dream that is subject to non-objective factors. You can't get on Jeopardy by getting the highest score on the test - you have to appeal to them enough for them to want to put you on a tv show. But I would think a little about what kind of impression you might be creating when you have this kind of sour grapes attitude at the back of your mind. And I'd also think a little bit more about how offensive it is to be making the assumptions I see some of you making.
When it's documented over the years that auditions contain ~67% men and it's also documented that the ratio of contestants is 50/50 between men and women, it's obvious to everybody that a woman has a much better chance of being selected for the show once reaching an audition.

You can be offended all you want, but it's the truth.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 pm
JEB wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:32 pm It really irritates me - sufficiently to register in order to make this comment - to see the consistent expression of the idea that women who audition are "guaranteed" to get on the show, while poor men don't have an equal shot. I've auditioned three times and not been asked to be on the show yet (I am in the current pool) and I'm sure many women could say the same. I also haven't found the audition pool to be that dramatically unbalanced. There were more men then women in my first two auditions but not drastically so; ironically the most unbalanced pool was at the most recent one in a stereo-typically more liberal and larger city. I did at that audition overhear the same old "oh I'm an old white guy so I'll never get on" talk. I know it must be frustrating to have a dream that is subject to non-objective factors. You can't get on Jeopardy by getting the highest score on the test - you have to appeal to them enough for them to want to put you on a tv show. But I would think a little about what kind of impression you might be creating when you have this kind of sour grapes attitude at the back of your mind. And I'd also think a little bit more about how offensive it is to be making the assumptions I see some of you making.
When it's documented over the years that auditions contain ~67% men and it's also documented that the ratio of contestants is 50/50 between men and women, it's obvious to everybody that a woman has a much better chance of being selected for the show once reaching an audition.

You can be offended all you want, but it's the truth.
Cool it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats to the Toronto auditioners... I am not among them. Sigh.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Me neither. :(
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

I got mine today - my second.

November 14th in Toronto at 2pm.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

quartinsession wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 pm Just got an invite to audition in Toronto on November 15! This is my second audition (first was in 2014), and I'm quite surprised because I thought this was the first online test on which I scored less than 35 (I was thinking 33 or 34). :D :D :D :D :D
Luckily for you the US-Canadian exchange rate is more favorable this year.

Congratulations to all future auditioners! Best of luck.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!