Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:37 am I suppose their could be an argument that they are carefully crafting each tape date's pool of players, balancing for age, gender, ethnicities, geographical representation, different occupations, etc., and that if one of the 10-12 they've chosen for a particular taping date can't make it, they may not need the same fit on a future taping date. But then you look at something like there being 2 Alexes called to the same tape date and it makes you think they aren't putting nearly as much thought into it as we might think.
not only this, but they are asking close to 400 people to travel on the schedule of the show each year. If they were so accommodating to one, they would have to be to everyone, and then scheduling would just be impossible as not everyone can just take time off work whenever, or other stuff they want to do in their lives, no matter how important.

By saying now or never, they can just move on with their list and not deal with everyone's personal drama.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 am

not only this, but they are asking close to 400 people to travel on the schedule of the show each year. If they were so accommodating to one, they would have to be to everyone, and then scheduling would just be impossible as not everyone can just take time off work whenever, or other stuff they want to do in their lives, no matter how important.

By saying now or never, they can just move on with their list and not deal with everyone's personal drama.
I've never understood how some people can get THE CALL and say "sorry, I can't make it that day," because of some lame-ass excuse such as "I have to work that day," or "we've been planning for two years to take our European vacation that week" or "that's the week I'm scheduled to be married," or "I've already died" or whatever. Honestly, it seems as if some people have no real desire at all to be on the show.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

On the flip side, after my audition last year I was reluctant to make any big plans more than a month in advance because I assumed The Call was inevitable. That was July 2017, and while I’m technically still in the pool, I’m now ineligible for Jeopardy! for awhile since I just taped Millionaire. If The Call comes in these last few months of pool swimming, I’ll have to laugh at the sick cosmic joke of it all, but I won’t regret accepting the call to be on Millionaire.

But I digress. There’s a place on the contestant application form to list the dates you won’t be available for the next 18 months after your audition. So that is the time to raise any scheduling conflicts.
Golf

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 am not only this, but they are asking close to 400 people to travel on the schedule of the show each year. If they were so accommodating to one, they would have to be to everyone, and then scheduling would just be impossible as not everyone can just take time off work whenever, or other stuff they want to do in their lives, no matter how important.

This. It's their pool, we have to play by their rules. If there's a conflict, the potential contestant always has a choice.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Well, the thing I was afraid would happen just happened: I got The Call!

But since I just taped Who Wants to be a Millionaire, the Jeopardy! door is closed

Leave me alone now so I can cry it out :(
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 pm Well, the thing I was afraid would happened just happened: I got The Call!

But since I just taped Who Wants to be a Millionaire, the Jeopardy! door is closed

Sorry to hear this.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Magna wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 pm Well, the thing I was afraid would happened just happened: I got The Call!

Sorry to hear this.
Thanks for that. It's really ok. Millionaire was a great experience, and they booked me immediately after my audition. I always said Jeopardy! would be lucky to have me. They waited too long! It's just kind of a sick joke that the timing was off by just a couple of weeks.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

*Snuggle* It's okay. Don't be sad. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:46 pm
Magna wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Sorry to hear this.
Thanks for that. It's really ok. Millionaire was a great experience, and they booked me immediately after my audition. I always said Jeopardy! would be lucky to have me. They waited too long! It's just kind of a sick joke that the timing was off by just a couple of weeks.
Ouch! That sucks, but at least you had a good time at Millionaire (and with luck emerged with some cash coming your way)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Some people would be thrilled to get one call. You sure crying about getting two is the way you want to to about this?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:35 pm Some people would be thrilled to get one call. You sure crying about getting two is the way you want to to about this?
I don't want to co-opt this thread with my sad story, but yeah, of course I'm disappointed. I walked around in a daze for most of the day yesterday feeling physically sick, while fully appreciating the cosmic absurdity of my situation.

I get your point. I'm not looking for sympathy. But I am second guessing my decision to try out for Millionaire while I still had a few months of J! eligibility.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:35 pm Some people would be thrilled to get one call. You sure crying about getting two is the way you want to to about this?
Who wouldn't cry about it? Jeopardy is the top step in the game show world.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

I have a question concerning the audition, is anyone else allowed to just sit in (not participate). My girlfriend was coming with me and I wasn't sure if anyone is allowed to go into the audition room?
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

oduguy22 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:09 pm I have a question concerning the audition, is anyone else allowed to just sit in (not participate). My girlfriend was coming with me and I wasn't sure if anyone is allowed to go into the audition room?
They only allow the invited auditioners into the room.
I would prefer not to.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 pm ...the Jeopardy! door is closed
For now. The Jeopardy! door is closed for now. It will happen again for you. Believe.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

patkav wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:56 pm
For now. The Jeopardy! door is closed for now. It will happen again for you. Believe.
I agree. You'll pass the test next time; they'll remember you, and will likely choose you again.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Peachbox wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:39 am
I agree. You'll pass the test next time; they'll remember you, and will likely choose you again.
Thanks for the encouragement! On the bright side, I have more time to study now ;)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Peachbox wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:39 am
I think Peachbox posits a highly likely possibility -- you'll be invited to another audition, mention that you were selected previously but were ineligible due to Millionaire, and they'll be on you like a shark on chum. I still owe you one, so I'm still planning on seeing you from the audience in the Jeopardy studio.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Pointer
Contributor

Post by Pointer »

Looks to me like back in August a lot of boardies got audition invites to Philly for mid-September. Earlier in the summer I was told by the contestant organizers that they would be "potentially" doing auditions in Philadelphia "later this year". But the email never came. Oh well, I'll do the online test again next time. :(
gsabc
Contributor

Post by gsabc »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 pm Well, the thing I was afraid would happen just happened: I got The Call!

I'll drink to that and share some with you. This happened to me in 2009. About eight months after my WWTBAM show aired (two before my J! eligibility ran out), my wife picks up the phone and calls down to me, "It's someone from Jeopardy!" My exact response (aimed at the game show gods, not to the guy on the line): "You've got to be sh*tting me!" Since then, crickets on auditions, let alone The Call.