Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rufiowong

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by rufiowong »

It took me awhile to get the email for my audition, but a significantly shorter wait to get my call :o

Online Test: June 1, 2017
Audition Email: May 10, 2018
Audition (DC): June 22, 2018
Got The Call: July 5, 2018
Tape Date: August 14, 2018

I wish I had more time to study, but OMG I'm going to be on Jeopardy!!
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:04 pm
RJRouge wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:28 pm
fowlerism wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:25 pm One small bummer about an August audition is that an 18-month pool means possibly being locked out of the online test until 2021. I'd better make the most of my audition!
I don't recall exactly, but I think they would make a concession for someone to take the online test again if very near the end of their contestant pool eligibility. Can anyone confirm or deny?
An online test came up about 3 weeks before I hit the 18 month mark one year. I emailed the contestant coordinators asking if it would be okay to take the test. They said yes, since it would be well over 18 months before I would get another invite to audition.
Ha ha! My 18 month eligibility was set to expire about 2 weeks after the online test this past March. I emailed the contestant coordinators to ask about taking the test. They told me that I did not need to do so. I have heard nothing since. I don't know if they were communicating that I am still in the pool to be considered. Or that perhaps I will never be selected so why bother. At any rate, I will take the test again the next time it is offered. And I hope to go to a taping in the fall. I'll try to catch Maggie's eye and remind her that I am still around.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

rufiowong wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:09 pm It took me awhile to get the email for my audition, but a significantly shorter wait to get my call :o

Best of luck! :D
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 pm I auditioned in August 2007, then took the online test again in January 2009, and got The Call a month later. (That had nothing directly to do with my online test, to my knowledge. That would be weird if it did, since the last test didn't lead to an audition, and I got 34 right anyway.)
Similar to my experience. Online test in Oct 2014, audition in March 2015, 18-month window expired September 2016, re-took the online test in October 2016, got "the call" in November 2016 without a repeat audition. To the best of my knowledge, the online re-take was extraneous to the process, but I can't know for sure.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

rufiowong wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:09 pm It took me awhile to get the email for my audition, but a significantly shorter wait to get my call :o

Congrats! Was at that audition, but specified I wouldn't be able to tape until after the New Year, so I'm hoping they still come back to our cohort.
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

The Talking Mime wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 pm
Kingrat47 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:29 pm
klakins wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:29 am
Pointer, what a coincidence - I’m also going from Newfoundland to NYC! I’m in the April 25 audition group, though.
This is an interesting coincidence - I’m coming down from Halifax! Perhaps they’ve decided that Atlantic Canada is a major untapped resource!
Hey, I'm from P.E.I. and... well I'm not auditioning since I didn't take the test, but I'm now wishing I had since the floodgates have apparently opened. :lol:

Seriously though, congrats and good luck!
Quoting myself from over 3 months ago to say that someone from Prince Edward Island has gotten the call, according to this CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.4759675

Between this and the Newfoundland boardie that got the call, it looks like fans of the show here in Atlantic Canada have a couple of people (at least) to root for next season.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The Talking Mime wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:27 pm Quoting myself from over 3 months ago to say that someone from Prince Edward Island has gotten the call, according to this CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.4759675

Between this and the Newfoundland boardie that got the call, it looks like fans of the show here in Atlantic Canada have a couple of people (at least) to root for next season.
Interesting to see a article about someone who's 'about to compete on Jeopardy!' I thought contestants were supposed to keep mum until closer to the episode airing, not to mention talking to the press!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:59 am
The Talking Mime wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:27 pm Quoting myself from over 3 months ago to say that someone from Prince Edward Island has gotten the call, according to this CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.4759675

Interesting to see a article about someone who's 'about to compete on Jeopardy!' I thought contestants were supposed to keep mum until closer to the episode airing, not to mention talking to the press!
Time spent on interviews is much better spent learning how to bet. Of the last two people who I recall doing press before taping, one decided that betting random numbers in Final Jeopardy! was better than actual strategy, and another made a really ill-advised "Lazarus" wager in a crush game, but hey, at least a friend of mine got an extra $1,000 out of it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am Time spent on interviews is much better spent learning how to bet. Of the last two people who I recall doing press before taping, one decided that betting random numbers in Final Jeopardy! was better than actual strategy,
Ouch! I have a feeling she'd be tough to coach. Most people don't need instruction to figure out how to make the shutout bet. Those who do may have a serious mental block to anything math-related.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:59 am

There's nothing to keep mum about yet--looks like they're mainly reporting that he auditioned and got The Call. He tapes next month.
DukeofIllyria

Post by DukeofIllyria »

Just heard back about a Philly audition from the March online test. I'll be there September 10th.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Just got an email today for a Philadelphia audition as well -- September 12 for me.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

I just got an email yesterday for an audition in Philly for Tuesday, September 11!!! Super excited, this is my first audition!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

oduguy22 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:04 am I just got an email yesterday for an audition in Philly for Tuesday, September 11!!! Super excited, this is my first audition!
Have fun. And when they ask you what would you spend your winnings on if you were to win a lot of money, don't mention cocaine and hookers.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What is a contestant referral and has this ever helped anyone get on the show?! My friend told me he has a friend who’s been on the show and who could refer me. I said huh? I don’t even know what that means. Then said friend asked if I’ve ever taken an online test and I said just stop
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am What is a contestant referral and has this ever helped anyone get on the show?! My friend told me he has a friend who’s been on the show and who could refer me. I said huh? I don’t even know what that means. Then said friend asked if I’ve ever taken an online test and I said just stop
Contestants are asked if they know anyone who might be a good person to be on the show. I don't know how (or if) these recommendations translate into auditions/appearances. I can tell you that I've been referred by a contestant in 2014 and haven't heard a peep since. I don't know if anyone can unambiguously trace an audition or show appearance to a referral.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ray Crosby was referred by me. I don't know if my referral had anything to do with his getting on the show, but he had been passing contestant tests as early as 2005 if not earlier.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

John Boy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:22 am
oduguy22 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:04 am I just got an email yesterday for an audition in Philly for Tuesday, September 11!!! Super excited, this is my first audition!
Have fun. And when they ask you what would you spend your winnings on if you were to win a lot of money, don't mention cocaine and hookers.
Thanks!!! and duly noted haha!!!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Andromus wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 pm Just got an email today for a Philadelphia audition as well -- September 12 for me.
I got mine today, same day and location (but possibly a different time). They said it may take 10 days for them to send further details.
Hoping for a third lap
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

sarisson wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:42 pm
Andromus wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 pm Just got an email today for a Philadelphia audition as well -- September 12 for me.
I got mine today, same day and location (but possibly a different time). They said it may take 10 days for them to send further details.
I'm so happy for you. Go get 'em!