Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by triviawayne » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 am

morbeedo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 pm
Magna wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 pm
OTOH, they may only want to tell those that confirm they will be there.
Just an anecdote: at the first audition I went to...
(sighs)

Blows my mind when people say they've auditioned a bunch of times for Jeopardy! I've been trying for years with 40+ test scores and can't break through to the audition.

(sulks)
Join the very large club. Seven straight passes, no auditions.

I couldn't win a random drawing if I was the only entrant.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:15 am

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 am
morbeedo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 pm
Magna wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 pm
OTOH, they may only want to tell those that confirm they will be there.
Just an anecdote: at the first audition I went to...
(sighs)

Blows my mind when people say they've auditioned a bunch of times for Jeopardy! I've been trying for years with 40+ test scores and can't break through to the audition.

(sulks)
Join the very large club. Seven straight passes, no auditions.

I couldn't win a random drawing if I was the only entrant.
Time for some traffic problems in Culver City? :twisted:

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 1650
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:34 am

dhkendall wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:06 am
vermiciousknid wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:39 pm
My husband got an email saying he was invited to audition in NYC today. I took the same test and got roughly the same score (41/42ish) and have gotten radio silence. I auditioned in 2013 and never got called. He auditioned in 2013 and never got called. Jeopardy is my lifelong dream and I really do hope that maybe there will be a second wave of emails? Maybe? Please?

:(
Congrats Mr. Vermiciousknid!

(Although it would probably be easier logistically to draw husband and wife, but that's impossible to tell).
And how would TPTB do that even if they wanted to? (leaving aside that I think it would be a bad idea, unless they're casting for a "couples week"). The registration form for the online test doesn't ask if you're married to anyone who's taking the test the same week, much less the identity of your spouse.

gsabc
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 am
Location: North of Boston MA

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by gsabc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 am

morbeedo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 pm
(sighs)

Blows my mind when people say they've auditioned a bunch of times for Jeopardy! I've been trying for years with 40+ test scores and can't break through to the audition.

(sulks)
Cheer up. It could be worse. I actually got The Call several years ago, unfortunately just six months after being on Millionaire. Telling the contestant coordinator that I was ineligible at that time was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:16 am

gsabc wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 am
morbeedo wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 pm
(sighs)

Blows my mind when people say they've auditioned a bunch of times for Jeopardy! I've been trying for years with 40+ test scores and can't break through to the audition.

(sulks)
Cheer up. It could be worse. I actually got The Call several years ago, unfortunately just six months after being on Millionaire. Telling the contestant coordinator that I was ineligible at that time was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
Ouch. I think I need some new life goals...

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by boson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:24 am

Congrats to the lucky auditioners!

I'm still holding out hope for a Canadian audition site, after Alex's remarks last year implying there would be special consideration for Canadians. How about Ottawa? Lots of good contestants there!

To those who are still awaiting an audition invite: I hear you. I've tried essentially every year since 1998 - certainly since the online test, but earlier applications are lost in the mist of my memory - and I've had auditions in 1998 and 2008. I'm due.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by BobF » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:35 am

boson wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:24 am
Congrats to the lucky auditioners!

I'm still holding out hope for a Canadian audition site, after Alex's remarks last year implying there would be special consideration for Canadians. How about Ottawa? Lots of good contestants there!

To those who are still awaiting an audition invite: I hear you. I've tried essentially every year since 1998 - certainly since the online test, but earlier applications are lost in the mist of my memory - and I've had auditions in 1998 and 2008. I'm due.
In 2018, right? :-D
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5051
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by alietr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:36 am

boson wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:24 am
I'm still holding out hope for a Canadian audition site, after Alex's remarks last year implying there would be special consideration for Canadians. How about Ottawa? Lots of good contestants there!
There are only 2, and 1 has already been on.

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Did I miss a tryout test? I last took one last fall, and I thought that with the new biannual schedule, we should be due for one soon, so at least registration should've been available by now.
I identify as a Jeopardy! fan, and use who/what pronouns.

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by BobF » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:43 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:
She says she lives in Ottawa. I'm guessing that means there are likely no auditions in eastern Canada this time around.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 1650
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:49 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:
I don't think your advice to her was appropriate, particularly since you didn't disclose your conflict of interest.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5024
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Volante » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:52 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:
That's just not cricket. I'm sure you wouldn't want people suggesting you skip an audition because of real life, right?

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Volante wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:52 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:
That's just not cricket. I'm sure you wouldn't want people suggesting you skip an audition because of real life, right?
You're absolutely right. I should have said "save your money."

Ha! This was clearly a joke - isn't that what the internet is for? (besides, well, porn?) If this person gives any serious consideration to 2 words of advice from a perfect stranger, then I would hazard a guess that she has a serious mental impairment.

But if groupthink says I should apologize, then I will! ;)

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by BobF » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:33 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 pm
Volante wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:52 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:
That's just not cricket. I'm sure you wouldn't want people suggesting you skip an audition because of real life, right?
You're absolutely right. I should have said "save your money."

Ha! This was clearly a joke - isn't that what the internet is for? (besides, well, porn?) If this person gives any serious consideration to 2 words of advice from a perfect stranger, then I would hazard a guess that she has a serious mental impairment.

But if groupthink says I should apologize, then I will! ;)
I say no. I think your advice was actually sound. As much as I LOVED my two auditions, if they were held some place that was an 8 hour drive from me, I wouldn't go unless I had another reason to visit the city.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Golf » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Just depends on how bad you want a chance to be on Jeopardy. Personally, I think it's laughable that people scoff at a 10+ hour bus ride if it's the only viable option. There's people on this board that would walk if given the chance.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by BobF » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Golf wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm
Just depends on how bad you want a chance to be on Jeopardy. Personally, I think it's laughable that people scoff at a 10+ hour bus ride if it's the only viable option. There's people on this board that would walk if given the chance.
True. I'm speaking from my own experience where I'd rather wait for an audition to happen in one of NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC or Orlando in the months my parents are down there (Nov-Apr). I think this woman's best option is to explain to the coordinators her situation and kindly ask to be included in any future audition that might occur in Ontario or Quebec or even Syracuse.

Her rational decision, from a purely economic standpoint is to skip. It will have a pretty consequential adverse affect on her if she goes with a roughly 1 in 7 chance of a payoff, and even the payoff has a 1 in 3 chance of not even being enough to cover airfare and accommodations to and in LA. So we're looking at a roughly 9% chance of breaking even and probably a 3% chance of getting enough money to balance out how badly going to the audition would affect her finances.
Last edited by BobF on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6883
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by econgator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Golf wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm
Just depends on how bad you want a chance to be on Jeopardy. Personally, I think it's laughable that people scoff at a 10+ hour bus ride if it's the only viable option. There's people on this board that would walk if given the chance.
*nod* My first audition was a 13-hr drive each way done on consecutive days.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by BobF » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:39 pm

econgator wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm
Golf wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:50 pm
Just depends on how bad you want a chance to be on Jeopardy. Personally, I think it's laughable that people scoff at a 10+ hour bus ride if it's the only viable option. There's people on this board that would walk if given the chance.
*nod* My first audition was a 13-hr drive each way done on consecutive days.
Uphill both ways.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by boson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:47 pm

BobF wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:43 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Megan's really killing me with her audition sob story on Twitter! :evil:
She says she lives in Ottawa. I'm guessing that means there are likely no auditions in eastern Canada this time around.
Hmm. She's on an Ottawa Learned Leaguer's facebook group with me, but I don't know her. I'm also a fake Ottawan, since I live 100 miles away.

A lot of people being harsh to her for potentially skipping the audition on this board. Taking time off from work, paying for travel and lodging, arranging child care, etc. can all be big impediments, and could make such a trip impossible for some people at some times.

As someone who's been trying to get on the show for 25+ years, I want to audition as much as anyone. But saying that some people would "walk" to NYC from Ottawa (and back!) is hyperbole that doesn't help anyone.

But thanks for spoiling my hope that there would be a mythical eastern Canada audition. sigh.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], BigDaddyMatty, joenguyen90 and 13 guests