Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Through December 2012, I had been selected to audition for J! four out of the five times I was eligible. Since that time, I have scored 40+ on every online test I was eligible to take and have not been randomly chosen for a single audition, including Charlotte this year. Surely the odds must turn in my favor again before long.

Right?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am Through December 2012, I had been selected to audition for J! four out of the five times I was eligible. Since that time, I have scored 40+ on every online test I was eligible to take and have not been randomly chosen for a single audition, including Charlotte this year. Surely the odds must turn in my favor again before long.

Right?
But you’re still in the pool? What am I missing?
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am Through December 2012, I had been selected to audition for J! four out of the five times I was eligible. Since that time, I have scored 40+ on every online test I was eligible to take and have not been randomly chosen for a single audition, including Charlotte this year. Surely the odds must turn in my favor again before long.

Right?
Whatever selection process they are using to winnow down all those who pass the quiz (and pick the same audition city) to the manageable number who actually get invited, that process can be pretty brutal. Whether it's absolutely random, luck-of-the-draw, or something else...just brutal.

Dating back to the 2009 online quiz I have scored what I believe to be a passing grade (again, using the conventional wisdom that 35 is a pass, I have cleared with a few points to spare) no fewer than seven times without an invitation to an audition.

YMMV, but them's the facts for a lot of folks out here in wannabe land.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

John Boy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am Whatever selection process they are using to winnow down all those who pass the quiz (and pick the same audition city) to the manageable number who actually get invited, that process can be pretty brutal. Whether it's absolutely random, luck-of-the-draw, or something else...just brutal.

Dating back to the 2009 online quiz I have scored what I believe to be a passing grade (again, using the conventional wisdom that 35 is a pass, I have cleared with a few points to spare) no fewer than seven times without an invitation to an audition.

YMMV, but them's the facts for a lot of folks out here in wannabe land.
My mileage varies a great deal. Back in the postcard era, I was twice selected to take the test, and passed (was held on to play in a mock game, short interview, etc.) both times. There have been four times in the online test era when I believe I have scored 35 or better, and I was called for an audition every time. Is that just dumb luck? Probably, but I'm not complaining. And I hope I haven't just jinxed myself.

Of course, I've never gotten THE CALL. I don't know if that's just bad luck, or if there's something wrong with how I come across in auditions. (Both, probably.) I've just washed out of the pool for the sixth time (My "rank" is out of date.) So I'll start the process again with the online test. Hope springs eternal.
Teems with quiet fun.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 amBut you’re still in the pool? What am I missing?
I simply neglected to change my status with the J!Board gatekeepers. I am surely no longer in the pool at this point.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Right?
I wish I could be more positive, but I suspect the 4/5 auditions was the anomaly, not the 0/5 since. :(

My luck is similar: audition in 1998 (pre-online), audition in 2008 (online), none since. Passed with 40+ (ok, maybe one 38 in there...) every time there was an online test since 2008. 2018 should get me an audition, if simple pattern recognition tells me anything!
nickanspach
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by nickanspach »

Took the online test January 2016 (2nd time trying the online test).

In-person audition June 2016 in New York (1st time doing the in-person audition).

Got the call last month, mid-January 2018.

Tape this week, February 14th, 2018.

Episode will air the week of June 11th.

I was right up against my 18-month window and had written off my chances of getting on the show, so don't despair if you're nearing the end of your time in the eligibility pool!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

nickanspach wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Have a blast!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

nickanspach wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm Took the online test January 2016 (2nd time trying the online test).

In-person audition June 2016 in New York (1st time doing the in-person audition).

I was right up against my 18-month window and had written off my chances of getting on the show, so don't despair if you're nearing the end of your time in the eligibility pool!
Best of luck!
Sprinkles are for winners.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

nickanspach wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm Got the call last month, mid-January 2018.

Valentine’s Day! How fun! I was really hoping for that tape date, but now I’ll settle for ANY tape date. I’m in my second trimester of waiting for The Call

And Congrats! When exactly did the call come (day of week and time)? How did you feel about your audition?

Have the best time!
nickanspach

Post by nickanspach »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm
And Congrats! When exactly did the call come (day of week and time)? How did you feel about your audition?
The call was on a Friday (Jan 12th) around lunch time EST. I actually screened the call because it was an unrecognized number. Even though the my caller ID said Culver City, Jeopardy had fallen so far off my radar by then, I didn't put two and two together. But the contestant coordinator left a voicemail, so no harm done.

As for the audition, I was wracking my brain that whole week trying to remember the questions and my answers. Of the 50 questions, I could recall 44 of them (they're still saved in the Notes app in my phone). Of those 44, I was sure I had 33 correct, so I was feeling pretty good about my chances... at least until the months started slipping by. By a time a year had passed, I had kinda given up hope, so I'm hoping my long turnaround time shows that you really can get the call even if it's been a loooong time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

nickanspach wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm
The call was on a Friday (Jan 12th) around lunch time EST. I actually screened the call because it was an unrecognized number. Even though the my caller ID said Culver City, Jeopardy had fallen so far off my radar by then, I didn't put two and two together. But the contestant coordinator left a voicemail, so no harm done.

As for the audition, I was wracking my brain that whole week trying to remember the questions and my answers. Of the 50 questions, I could recall 44 of them (they're still saved in the Notes app in my phone). Of those 44, I was sure I had 33 correct, so I was feeling pretty good about my chances... at least until the months started slipping by. By a time a year had passed, I had kinda given up hope, so I'm hoping my long turnaround time shows that you really can get the call even if it's been a loooong time.
I think personality counts way more, unless you totally skunk the test. Anyway, good luck! We look forward to hearing how it goes
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

nickanspach wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm Took the online test January 2016 (2nd time trying the online test).

All good luck to you, Nick!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I was looking through my emails and very sadly saw that I got an invitation to audition in L.A. last fall. :cry: Obviously I missed the window to respond. I don't know exactly what happened - whether it got caught on my spam filter or whether I just overlooked it. I also don't know whether this means I'm out of consideration for now, or whether I might get another invitation. I sent a reply as soon as I found it, telling them what happened, but I haven't heard back.

Anyone else have any experience with this, especially whether they ever extend a second invitation in this situation? Thanks.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Magna wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm I was looking through my emails and very sadly saw that I got an invitation to audition in L.A. last fall. :cry: Obviously I missed the window to respond. I don't know exactly what happened - whether it got caught on my spam filter or whether I just overlooked it. I also don't know whether this means I'm out of consideration for now, or whether I might get another invitation. I sent a reply as soon as I found it, telling them what happened, but I haven't heard back.

Anyone else have any experience with this, especially whether they ever extend a second invitation in this situation? Thanks.
I would think that since it's an LA audition, you'll have a better chance of making up for the one you missed than if it had been in a location they had to travel to.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Magna wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm I was looking through my emails and very sadly saw that I got an invitation to audition in L.A. last fall. :cry: Obviously I missed the window to respond. I don't know exactly what happened - whether it got caught on my spam filter or whether I just overlooked it. I also don't know whether this means I'm out of consideration for now, or whether I might get another invitation. I sent a reply as soon as I found it, telling them what happened, but I haven't heard back.

Oh man. That sucks! I use gmail and I have a rule set up to flag any email with subject: jeopardy or from:sony...- so when I finally got my first and only audition invite, it was starred at the top of my inbox / primary folder

Hope they given you another shot!

I’m thinking of sending them a physical real life snail mail post card- hi! Remember me! Wonder how that would go over.
inturnaround

Post by inturnaround »

I just got an audition invitation Tuesday for 3/24 in DC based off last May's test. Interesting. I wasn't even expecting that at this point considering the online tests are coming up again.

Did anyone else get one?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

When I was looking at my profile, I noticed that they didn't even have an audition city for me, even though I am 100% certain I chose Tampa.

ETA: That was last year, not for the current one.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:16 pm When I was looking at my profile, I noticed that they didn't even have an audition city for me, even though I am 100% certain I chose Tampa.
I had a similar glitch and had to use the contact form (twice) to get it fixed.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

inturnaround wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 am I just got an audition invitation Tuesday for 3/24 in DC based off last May's test. Interesting. I wasn't even expecting that at this point considering the online tests are coming up again.

Did anyone else get one?
I did as well! If there's anyone else in that audition group, if you aren't local, I would recommend figuring out your travel plans ASAP - the Jeopardy auditions aren't the only thing going on in DC that day.