Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by lieph82 »

koam wrote:Who the hell doesn't take the home test solo? I couldn't imagine trying to confer with people to read and answer in 15 seconds. I'd do much better on my own and have passed it every time, without studying.
This is not relevant to statistics about the adult test, but I would bet that many, many parents "help their kids out a bit" with the kids/teen online tests.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It wouldn't be hard at all to have 2-3 people looking over your shoulder at the screen and blurting out an answer. In fact, in such a setup you'd probably be better off if the person at the keyboard was just a typist and listened for someone to come up with the answer. It'd be almost like quiz bowl, in fact.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

goatman wrote:What I meant was; "of those who get invited to audition, 15% - 20% may expect to pass the second test (without help from their family, friends etc since they take it solo) and then proceed to the live audition and get in the pool."
I think that's wrong, too. People on this board have posted about their auditions have said that everyone there was told they passed the written test. Certainly it must be a very high percentage, anyway, because roughly 20% of auditioners appear on the show. If your figures were right, passing the written test at the audition would just about guarantee you an appearance on the show.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Magna wrote:
goatman wrote:What I meant was; "of those who get invited to audition, 15% - 20% may expect to pass the second test (without help from their family, friends etc since they take it solo) and then proceed to the live audition and get in the pool."
I think that's wrong, too. People on this board have posted about their auditions have said that everyone there was told they passed the written test. Certainly it must be a very high percentage, anyway, because roughly 20% of auditioners appear on the show. If your figures were right, passing the written test at the audition would just about guarantee you an appearance on the show.
At my audition, we were all told we passed the online test.
At my taping, we were told that about 100K took the online test, they auditioned about 3000, and chose about 400 to get The Call. So, if you get an audition, you have slightly better than a 10% chance of getting on the show. Clearly it is harder to score an audition than to clear the last hurdle of getting The Call.
davey

Post by davey »

Magna wrote:
If only 20% of those in the room passed the test, I doubt they'd go through the trouble of auditioning everybody else. They'd do what they used to do and cull the low scorers immediately. The online test makes that unnecessary. The idea that over-the-shoulder help would raise the number of passers so significantly doesn't seem likely.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

koam wrote:Who the hell doesn't take the home test solo? I couldn't imagine trying to confer with people to read and answer in 15 seconds. I'd do much better on my own and have passed it every time, without studying.
My dad took the test through me in 2007: I sat at the computer, read clues aloud, and typed his responses. (But I guess that wasn't the type of non-solo venture you were thinking of, based on the rest of your post.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:
Magna wrote:
If only 20% of those in the room passed the test, I doubt they'd go through the trouble of auditioning everybody else. They'd do what they used to do and cull the low scorers immediately. The online test makes that unnecessary. The idea that over-the-shoulder help would raise the number of passers so significantly doesn't seem likely.
If you get invited to the in person after taking the online test, you're, quote, in the pool. They won't tell you if you're in the part of the pool they're fishing in, or if they decide to throw you back, but you're in the pool.

They only give ~2000 people in person auditions, and then from THAT crowd only ~200 get on.
There's no reason to be brutally honest with anyone. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

CoachP wrote:
Magna wrote:
At my audition, we were all told we passed the online test.
At my taping, we were told that about 100K took the online test, they auditioned about 3000, and chose about 400 to get The Call. So, if you get an audition, you have slightly better than a 10% chance of getting on the show. Clearly it is harder to score an audition than to clear the last hurdle of getting The Call.
Those are the same stats they gave us. So I figured it at 1 in 8, which made me feel pretty good about my chances at the time. Getting the Wii game trivia question correct helped too, I think.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

opusthepenguin wrote:
NYCScribbler wrote:Online test: mid-January 2012. Either the 16th or the 18th; Eastern test was the 17th, but I had a game to be at.

Audition: June 5th, 2012, NYC

Taping: November 14th, 2012, then November 27th, 2012

Airdates: March 28th, 2013-April 4th, 2013

Ka-ching: July 2013

{edited because I accidentally a WHOLE day}
Will there be a second edit when you notice the note for your first edit accidentally a WHOLE word or two? :D
I may be living on the Internet too much.'
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Woof wrote:It wouldn't be hard at all to have 2-3 people looking over your shoulder at the screen and blurting out an answer. In fact, in such a setup you'd probably be better off if the person at the keyboard was just a typist and listened for someone to come up with the answer. It'd be almost like quiz bowl, in fact.
A friend of mine told me recently that he knows of two older couples who employ this tactic every January when the online test is offered. One sits at the computer and the other three help in the background. My friend says they actually got an email invitation once. Whichever one of the husbands attended the audition bombed it, obviously.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jjwaymee wrote:A friend of mine told me recently that he knows of two older couples who employ this tactic every January when the online test is offered. One sits at the computer and the other three help in the background. My friend says they actually got an email invitation once. Whichever one of the husbands attended the audition bombed it, obviously.
I will refrain from using the language I would like to use to describe these people. They took away one of the very few spots for someone actually able to pass the test on their own. And they wasted the time of the contestant coordinators. I don't find it to be the least bit humorous. (This is not directed at you; strictly at them.)
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

alietr wrote:
jjwaymee wrote:A friend of mine told me recently that he knows of two older couples who employ this tactic every January when the online test is offered. One sits at the computer and the other three help in the background. My friend says they actually got an email invitation once. Whichever one of the husbands attended the audition bombed it, obviously.
I will refrain from using the language I would like to use to describe these people. They took away one of the very few spots for someone actually able to pass the test on their own. And they wasted the time of the contestant coordinators. I don't find it to be the least bit humorous. (This is not directed at you; strictly at them.)
Trust me, I had the same reaction you are having. Well, not precisely the same reaction. 90% of me is annoyed that they would do it that way for the reasons you stated. 10% of me takes solace in the fact that those types of people are not my competition if and when I am ever selected for a live audition again.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

koam wrote:
John Boy wrote:I took the very first online quiz in 2006. don't recall the date or even the month, but it was early in the year.

Got an email invitation first week of April and attended live audition in Indianapolis May 1.

Since then I've passed the online quiz three more times without another invitation to audition. This year I passed again (at least I'm assuming my 39 is good enough) and here I sits waiting by the phone like a deranged teenager, waiting for another invitation.

Is it common for people to pass the online test and not receive an audition invitation?
WAY more common than to pass and receive an audition.

Based on what we hear here, as well as what common sense would dictate, FAR more people pass the online quiz than they have room for at the auditions. Only a small (unknown) percent of passers beat the lottery odds and get an invitation. And of course none of us knows how they make that selection. It may be absolutely random. They may have a list of people who have already auditioned and for one reason or another the CCs just know they don't want to see in another audition, so they may never get another chance regardless of how many times they pass (pure speculation). At least one boardie claims to have gotten two auditions in the online era, so I know that not everyone who auditions but is not called is excluded from further auditions. Heck, they may have a list of people who looked like good candidates when they first auditioned but just missed the cut to get called up; and they may look for such persons to pass further online quizzes, so they can invite them to see if they still look like promising candidates.

No one really knows, and that's part of the mystery and part of the agony of the process.

Sorry if that's not terribly optimistic, but sometimes reality is a bitch.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

John Boy wrote:At least one boardie claims to have gotten two auditions in the online era, so I know that not everyone who auditions but is not called is excluded from further auditions.
I had three.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

kickerofelves wrote:
John Boy wrote:At least one boardie claims to have gotten two auditions in the online era, so I know that not everyone who auditions but is not called is excluded from further auditions.
I had three.
Thanks for this. As someone who is rapidly losing hope for receiving the call for this season, its always nice to know that taking more than one audition to make the cut isn't the worst thing in the world.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I have also had three in-person auditions in the online era (and I made the cut and got to play the mock game twice in the postcard era). In fact, every time I have been pretty sure I passed the online test (35 or better), I have been called to an in-person audition. I consider myself extremely lucky in that regard.

But I've yet to receive the call, so not that lucky after all. Maybe it's my (lack of) personality. :(
Last edited by immaf on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teems with quiet fun.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

alietr wrote:
I admit to helping a couple of people answer the round one WWTBAM phone game questions back in 2000 or so. They didn't get the random callback for a round two playoff, however.
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

Speaking of assistance on the test. This year I experimented with how well I could take the test by using google to look up answers I didn't know. I'm ineligible to appear for at least a year since I'll be taping for WoF soon. I did register for fun to prevent an email. Normally I'm around 35 depending on how many are in my wheelhouse (my record is around 41 and low being 29). Going through the transcripts, I got 33 cold. Of the 17 I went to google, I was able to get 8 answered with 7 being correct with one I looked at the wrong line on the search results. Even though this is one sample with one person who wasn't eligible, my conclusion is that Google does not appear to be an advantage for those who can't even get half or aren't fast at typing. However, if you're borderline, it can push you over the edge to get you in the lottery if you're fast enough. But the question is, how do they look at the in person tests, especially if you're also borderline for that test?
davey

Post by davey »

ten96lt wrote:Speaking of assistance on the test. This year I experimented with how well I could take the test by using google to look up answers I didn't know. I'm ineligible to appear for at least a year since I'll be taping for WoF soon. I did register for fun to prevent an email. Normally I'm around 35 depending on how many are in my wheelhouse (my record is around 41 and low being 29). Going through the transcripts, I got 33 cold. Of the 17 I went to google, I was able to get 8 answered with 7 being correct with one I looked at the wrong line on the search results. Even though this is one sample with one person who wasn't eligible, my conclusion is that Google does not appear to be an advantage for those who can't even get half or aren't fast at typing. However, if you're borderline, it can push you over the edge to get you in the lottery if you're fast enough. But the question is, how do they look at the in person tests, especially if you're also borderline for that test?
Did you use two screens and two keyboards? I'm having trouble envisioning the logistics of this in a 15-second window.
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

davey wrote:
ten96lt wrote:Speaking of assistance on the test. This year I experimented with how well I could take the test by using google to look up answers I didn't know. I'm ineligible to appear for at least a year since I'll be taping for WoF soon. I did register for fun to prevent an email. Normally I'm around 35 depending on how many are in my wheelhouse (my record is around 41 and low being 29). Going through the transcripts, I got 33 cold. Of the 17 I went to google, I was able to get 8 answered with 7 being correct with one I looked at the wrong line on the search results. Even though this is one sample with one person who wasn't eligible, my conclusion is that Google does not appear to be an advantage for those who can't even get half or aren't fast at typing. However, if you're borderline, it can push you over the edge to get you in the lottery if you're fast enough. But the question is, how do they look at the in person tests, especially if you're also borderline for that test?
Did you use two screens and two keyboards? I'm having trouble envisioning the logistics of this in a 15-second window.
I used two browser windows and dragged the windows to the side where each took half the screen to prevent minimizing and one keyboard since it was the same computer. I scaled the google page to 75% so I didn't have to scroll left-right. I'll edit this with a screenshot when I'm home of a rough idea.

Something along these lines is what I'd be looking at. Assume the half showing the jboard site being the test screen.
Attachments
Split.JPG
Split.JPG (196.82 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
Last edited by ten96lt on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.