Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by bpmod »

koam wrote:Has anyone heard of emailed Audition invitations following the January home test?
I've heard of them. I've never received one.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RandyG wrote:
Heatherly0916 wrote:Do you recall what address the email came from? I have strict junk mail filtering, and although I've added the online test reminder email address to my safe list, I worry about missing email from a different address.
[email protected]
[email protected]
I'm guessing if you're receiving the occasional email from Sony Pictures and/or Jeopardy that they send out (if you asked for it), then The Email (why is this not yet a term?) should get to you no problem.

I think it's way too early to start receiving The Email, though, it's only been about a month, they still haven't stopped laughing at my answers yet.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

koozbane wrote:I'm in my 17th year of trying to get on Jeopardy. During that time, I've made it to 5 in-person auditions: 3 in Boston, 1 in NYC, and 1 in Burlington, VT. I've also been to a Brain Bus event in Washington, DC. I've passed everything swimmingly, but alas, have not made it on the show. My guess is that I'm too ugly for TV!

Oddly, all 5 auditions were before they started online testing. You applied via postcard or online and then got an invite or not. Under that format, I was 5-for-5. Five applications, five invitations.

Since the onset of the online test, I've not made it to an audition. I pass each year in the range of 45, but have never gotten a subsequent invitation. My guess is the online test has brought a lot more people into the mix, decreasing the chances of getting an invite.
Umm-hmmm.... apparently passing the online test is only a ticket to a lottery. Most bloggers agree that 35 is a passing score, although this may change and probably is adjusted to suit demands & need. If you achieve a pass score your name goes into a random number generator with about a 3% +/-1% chance of selection, depending on #tested #passed #needed and other #s unknown and unknowable. From the audition about 15% -20% of candidates go to the pool (this figure varies annually and depends on # in pool and number anticipated need in the candidate pool); and of these about 1/6 may eventually get drawn for a taping. So odds of getting in after a passing test score online are now around (0.03)(0.15)(.167) = 0.00075, or ~0.08% (slightly less than one-tenth of one percent odds for the math challenged among us :lol: ). This is a consequence of enormous numbers of online test takers (over 200k each test) and need to filter them into a manageable size. So yeah now it's a helluva lotto. Still, someone must get on, so keep studying and testing! No call = moar study time! :cry:

You can check out the depressing stats at this news link (amazing that 100k ppl get passing online scores; this has got to be from 'household group testing'; when the 'groupies' show up without their buddies and family members to prompt them they don't do so well, eh? = the only silver lining in your playbook):
http://www.abc17news.com/news/behind-th ... index.html
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

goatman wrote:(amazing that 100k ppl get passing online scores; this has got to be from 'household group testing'; when the 'groupies' show up without their buddies and family members to prompt them they don't do so well, eh? = the only silver lining in your playbook)
I understood the article to mean that, of 200k who sign up to take the test, 100k actually finish taking it. (The others, I suppose, either don't take it at all, or quit before it's over.)

ETA: I obviously don't know, but Woof's estimate of a 10% passing rate seems reasonable to me. Anecdotal evidence (i.e., lots of people posting online how hard they think the test is) suggests it can't be very high.

ETA, part 2: I viewed the video and it confirms that 100k is the number who finish taking the online test.
Last edited by Magna on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

goatman wrote: Umm-hmmm.... apparently passing the online test is only a ticket to a lottery. Most bloggers agree that 35 is a passing score, although this may change and probably is adjusted to suit demands & need. If you achieve a pass score your name goes into a random number generator with about a 3% +/-1% chance of selection, depending on #tested #passed #needed and other #s unknown and unknowable. From the audition about 15% -20% of candidates go to the pool (this figure varies annually and depends on # in pool and number anticipated need in the candidate pool); and of these about 1/6 may eventually get drawn for a taping. So odds of getting in after a passing test score online are now around (0.03)(0.15)(.167) = 0.00075, or ~0.08% (slightly less than one-tenth of one percent odds for the math challenged among us :lol: ). This is a consequence of enormous numbers of online test takers (over 200k each test) and need to filter them into a manageable size. So yeah now it's a helluva lotto. Still, someone must get on, so keep studying and testing! No call = moar study time! :cry:

You can check out the depressing stats at this news link (amazing that 100k ppl get passing online scores; this has got to be from 'household group testing'; when the 'groupies' show up without their buddies and family members to prompt them they don't do so well, eh? = the only silver lining in your playbook):
I think that you're misreading what's there. From what I read, 200K sign up to take the test and 100K actually take the online tests. There's no information given (from what I see) about the number who pass (I'd be shocked if that number is ever announced since they don't even publicly announce the passing score), just that 2000-3000 get an audition invitation. If my interpretation is correct and we posit that ~10% of the test takers get a "passing" score of 35 or more, then your odds of getting an audition invite are more like 20-30%, which is much more consistent with what we've seen on this board for boardie audition odds.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:If my interpretation is correct and we posit that ~10% of the test takers get a "passing" score of 35 or more, then your odds of getting an audition invite are more like 20-30%, which is much more consistent with what we've seen on this board for boardie audition odds.
From the 5 "old school" tryouts I attended, a 7-10% pass rate is accurate.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

NYCScribbler wrote:Online test: mid-January 2012. Either the 16th or the 18th; Eastern test was the 17th, but I had a game to be at.

Audition: June 5th, 2012, NYC

Taping: November 14th, 2012, then November 27th, 2012

Airdates: March 28th, 2013-April 4th, 2013

Ka-ching: July 2013

{edited because I accidentally a WHOLE day}
Will there be a second edit when you notice the note for your first edit accidentally a WHOLE word or two? :D
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
NYCScribbler wrote:Online test: mid-January 2012. Either the 16th or the 18th; Eastern test was the 17th, but I had a game to be at.

Audition: June 5th, 2012, NYC

Taping: November 14th, 2012, then November 27th, 2012

Airdates: March 28th, 2013-April 4th, 2013

Ka-ching: July 2013

{edited because I accidentally a WHOLE day}
Will there be a second edit when you notice the note for your first edit accidentally a WHOLE word or two? :D
And, of course, I thought that was intentional. Leaving out 'left out' or omitting 'omitted' is a good joke.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

goatman wrote:
koozbane wrote:I'm in my 17th year of trying to get on Jeopardy. During that time, I've made it to 5 in-person auditions: 3 in Boston, 1 in NYC, and 1 in Burlington, VT. I've also been to a Brain Bus event in Washington, DC. I've passed everything swimmingly, but alas, have not made it on the show. My guess is that I'm too ugly for TV!

Oddly, all 5 auditions were before they started online testing. You applied via postcard or online and then got an invite or not. Under that format, I was 5-for-5. Five applications, five invitations.

Since the onset of the online test, I've not made it to an audition. I pass each year in the range of 45, but have never gotten a subsequent invitation. My guess is the online test has brought a lot more people into the mix, decreasing the chances of getting an invite.
Umm-hmmm.... apparently passing the online test is only a ticket to a lottery. Most bloggers agree that 35 is a passing score, although this may change and probably is adjusted to suit demands & need. If you achieve a pass score your name goes into a random number generator with about a 3% +/-1% chance of selection, depending on #tested #passed #needed and other #s unknown and unknowable. From the audition about 15% -20% of candidates go to the pool (this figure varies annually and depends on # in pool and number anticipated need in the candidate pool); and of these about 1/6 may eventually get drawn for a taping. So odds of getting in after a passing test score online are now around (0.03)(0.15)(.167) = 0.00075, or ~0.08% (slightly less than one-tenth of one percent odds for the math challenged among us :lol: ). This is a consequence of enormous numbers of online test takers (over 200k each test) and need to filter them into a manageable size. So yeah now it's a helluva lotto. Still, someone must get on, so keep studying and testing! No call = moar study time! :cry:

I'm not sure where you got these numbers, but it's hard to accept them at face value. If 200k people take the quiz, and 400 or so get on the show, that's .2% of all test-takers, which is a far cry from .1% of all test-passers.

Back in the pre-online-quiz days they used to say that 10-15% of wannabes at the "cattle-call" auditions would actually pass the test. This was one reason to do away with them; it's just too much work sifting through all that chaff to get to too little wheat.

If today that number is higher (possibly from people getting illegal help sitting at their computers) then you can imagine 20% of 200k people pass the test, or around 40,000. Sounds to me that more like 1% of test-passers will get on the show.

Of course the part that hurts is getting into the lottery and not getting invited (which has happened to me three times). If they have a dozen audition cities and invite 200 to each, that's about 2,400 invited to interviews out of 40,000 passers, or about 6%.

Out of those 2,400 they invite 400 (probably fewer, with all the new tournaments and special weeks they keep inventing). But if it's 400 new regular contestants, that's about 1/6 of the auditioners.

No idea where you get the idea that 15-20% of auditioners go to the pool. By definition if you get invited to an audition you are in the pool. You may be deemed a less desirable candidate and not be moved to the top of the CC's' list, but you're in the pool

By my estimations, your chances of becoming a contestant are more like:

If you take the online quiz: 400/200,000 or so, 0.2%;
If you pass the online quiz: 400/40,000 or so, 1%;
If you get invited to an audition: 1/6 or so, which coincidentally is very similar to the pre-online-quiz days, when they told us that annually 2,000 or so would pass the quiz at the various regional auditions, brain bus auditions, etc.; and 400 (1/5) would be chosen.

Much is unknown, of course, and I don't proclaim this as Gospel. I know the odds are long, but not nearly as bleak as you paint them.

And of course, good luck to both of us in getting on the show.

I'm not sure how my comments got woven into yours. But for anyone reading this, my comments begin after the last (crying) icon and end with my good luck wish. Not to be confused with comments by Goatman or Koozbane.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

(Final) Online Test: January 2012
Audition Email: March 23, 2012
Audition: May 4, 2012 (Cleveland)
The Call: October 25, 2012
Taping Date(s): November 27 (unused) - 28, 2012
Airdate(s): April 9-12, 2013
pbowman25
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by pbowman25 »

Lumosityfan wrote:Took online test September of 2013.
Received audition invite October 2013 for Teen Tournament.
Went to Audition November 21, 2013.
Finally got the Call February 4, 2014!
Auditioned myself around the same time for the Teen Tournament, still holding out hope for a call to come. Lucky you!!!
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Online test: Jan. 29, 2008.
Email: May 2, 2008.
Audition in Cleveland: June 10, 2008.

Online test: Jan. 26, 2010.
Email: Mar. 3, 2010.
Audition in Chicago: May 6, 2010.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Frank Hardy wrote:Online test: Jan. 29, 2008.
Email: May 2, 2008.
Audition in Cleveland: June 10, 2008.
My first one was Cleveland, 6/12/08.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

FireAntsDefense wrote:
John Boy wrote:
FireAntsDefense wrote:Brain Bus: Asheville 2004. I remember because next morning I woke up with the granddaddy of all hangovers and the first thing I saw when I cut on the TV was someone throwing a cup at Ron Artest
What a coincidence.

I also attended the Brain Bus audition in Asheville. Did you pass the screening quiz and advance to take the big quiz the second day?
No, and I think it was Corina who said "I'm sorry, you didn't pass." I had to drive to Durham that night, so I took off right after. Yourself?
I was fortunate enough to pass the screening quiz and took the 50-item quiz the next day. I thought it was easier, and passed it handily.
No "Call," however. :(
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I took the very first online quiz in 2006. don't recall the date or even the month, but it was early in the year.

Got an email invitation first week of April and attended live audition in Indianapolis May 1.

Since then I've passed the online quiz three more times without another invitation to audition. This year I passed again (at least I'm assuming my 39 is good enough) and here I sits waiting by the phone like a deranged teenager, waiting for another invitation.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

John Boy wrote:I took the very first online quiz in 2006. don't recall the date or even the month, but it was early in the year.

Got an email invitation first week of April and attended live audition in Indianapolis May 1.

Since then I've passed the online quiz three more times without another invitation to audition. This year I passed again (at least I'm assuming my 39 is good enough) and here I sits waiting by the phone like a deranged teenager, waiting for another invitation.

Is it common for people to pass the online test and not receive an audition invitation?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

koam wrote:Is it common for people to pass the online test and not receive an audition invitation?
Based on what people have posted here, yes.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

LOL yes our comments are all threaded hopelessly. What I meant was; "of those who get invited to audition, 15% - 20% may expect to pass the second test (without help from their family, friends etc since they take it solo) and then proceed to the live audition and get in the pool." Very encouraging that I misinterpret these stats, I have taken the thing three times and got about a 20 the first time (I naively imagined I was smarter than the average bear!); what an eye-opener; OMG I became obsessed with J! and got determined to find the pattern and beat this game! I have learned so much in past 3 years, my former self seems like a dimwitted, uncultured rube! Still it's very challenging every time, but it never occurred to me that half the test-takers don't even finish it, lol, so okay odds improve somewhat, from ~ .001 to ~.01; still long odds so have to keep going back and have faith. Second time around I doubled my score to around 42 and this time barely scraped a 35 off my bootheel. They have definintely changed the emphasis to more pop culture and TV expecially HBO. As I watch very little TV and no HBO, it's a disadvantage. I admit yes I brain-blocked on Katy Perry and 'Roar' OMG I could not remember her last name, arghhh!15 seconds goes pretty quick, it takes near 7s to read the clue... Each miss is a chance to learn more,get sharper and try, try again!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Goatman, we are going to have to take away your 'LOL' key ...
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Who the hell doesn't take the home test solo? I couldn't imagine trying to confer with people to read and answer in 15 seconds. I'd do much better on my own and have passed it every time, without studying.