Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by triviawayne »

PowerofHoodoo wrote:
mcsheffrey wrote:
Woof wrote:(assuming that TPTB place me in the Chicago market)
Do you not get to choose the audition city you prefer anymore? I remember having to choose from among 8 cities for where I would like to audition.
In the past, you were given a list of potential audition sites to pick from. There was a disclaimer that some cities might not end up on the final list.

Edited to add: Some boardies have speculated whether you might improve your chances by picking a city in an area likely to have fewer people pass the test. I don't know if there was follow through on that or if anyone doing so felt it paid off.
It didn't pay off for me, but was certainly worth trying.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote:
PowerofHoodoo wrote:Some boardies have speculated whether you might improve your chances by picking a city in an area likely to have fewer people pass the test. I don't know if there was follow through on that or if anyone doing so felt it paid off.
It didn't pay off for me, but was certainly worth trying.
Anecdotally, it paid off for me at least to the extent of getting an audition. I would usually pick Los Angeles as my audition city because I have friends and family nearby. It never occurred to me that this was a popular pick and might lower my chances. In 2011 they offered Kansas City, which is 10 miles or so away; so I chose that and got my only audition. No Call though.
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

So, San Diego auditions happened today. Yay. Done. Whew. Looked like forty or so of us in two sessions (9 and 11:30). Nothing much to add about friendly and engaging coordinators; taking another written test; getting to use the real "signaling device"; meeting other Jeopardistas; thinking I didn't speak interestingly or engagingly enough about myself.... The usual, I know.

But, hey, I'd never heard about the SWAG!!!

You get to use and keep a pen that's modeled after the clicker! And at the end they passed out a earbuds in a small "Jeopardy!" bag suitable for adding to lanyard or keychain! Woot!
IMG_1311.jpg
IMG_1311.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oh yeah. I used the pen from my one audition as a clicker while watching J! Until it fell apart. I still have the pieces of ciurse.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ooh, they have a red clicker now. My two (from 2005 and 2011) both have blue clickers.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Been traveling for the past week, so my reply here is late.
PowerofHoodoo wrote:Just got an invitation to audition in Chicago on March 16.
Awesome, best of luck! You have a huge knowledge advantage over the vast majority of contestants.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dfawcettSD wrote:So, San Diego auditions happened today. Yay. Done. Whew. Looked like forty or so of us in two sessions (9 and 11:30). Nothing much to add about friendly and engaging coordinators; taking another written test; getting to use the real "signaling device"; meeting other Jeopardistas; thinking I didn't speak interestingly or engagingly enough about myself.... The usual, I know.

But, hey, I'd never heard about the SWAG!!!

You get to use and keep a pen that's modeled after the clicker! And at the end they passed out a earbuds in a small "Jeopardy!" bag suitable for adding to lanyard or keychain! Woot!
IMG_1311.jpg
I heart my swag. I had a friend who was on the show send me a pen a couple years before I auditioned so I've been using that to practice on (it has a blue clicker), my actual one from my audition (with a red one) is tucked away neatly but if my blue one breaks I will start using the red. If my red one breaks (although i hope I get The Call by then considering how much my blue one has held together!) I can cannibalize the blue one to fix it. (Plus I took a pen for my wife as well, but I don't think she'll let me cannibalize hers.) I'm holding my red clicker pen outside my audition room in my current avatar.

The earbuds are awesome in that they're the only earbuds I've ever had that fit my oddly shaped ears, I hate all other earbuds I've tried as they never stay in my ears. The bad part is that I've also found the sound quality on the Jeopardy! earbuds to be terrible (strange, coming from a show produced by a company (Sony) that otherwise has great quality electronics) so they are also saved away as a keepsake with the red click pen, not to be used.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

dhkendall, I totally agree with your assessment of the quality of the earbuds!
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

dfawcettSD wrote: thinking I didn't speak interestingly or engagingly enough about myself.... The usual, I know.
I think the kicker is that if you're generally not interesting, you at least have to be engaged and enthusiastic. Or have a ridiculous beard, southern accent, or something else that stands out.

BTW, have I mentioned that you can follow my tracking of J!'s bearded competitors over on Twitter @JepBeardy?

Seriously, good luck with the audition, and may The Call be soon to come.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Where are are the dang NYC invites, I need either Audition Round 4 or crushing disappointment
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

zakharov wrote:Where are are the dang NYC invites, I need either Audition Round 4 or crushing disappointment
When were they last here? I completely missed the January test, still kicking myself for that. Took the test in October.
dfawcettSD
Contributor

Post by dfawcettSD »

Thanks, JLJ. I've got a shaved head, mustache, and soul patch, but not a beard as voluptuous as yours. Maybe it's enough?

When I heard the San Diego resident from Georgia in my audition answering questions, it briefly occurred to me that I could have turned on the drawl I developed during my two long residences in Miss'ippi. Silly thought. It was enough work just trying to be my best self in that moment.

I honestly think I could see most of the people in my audition being called for the show. And when I compare my fellow auditioners to people I've seen on the show—nerdy, sweet, charming, quick, earnest, shy, engaging...—I now have no more idea than I did before what the "it" is that earns a call.

I spent last evening trying to quiet my spinning thoughts (by, to be honest, respinning them) and realized I need to enjoy the memory of the audition and think of myself as just as UNlikely to be called as before.

And I also need to better learn the Balkan capitals.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

morbeedo wrote:
zakharov wrote:Where are are the dang NYC invites, I need either Audition Round 4 or crushing disappointment
When were they last here? I completely missed the January test, still kicking myself for that. Took the test in October.
I don't think there were any January tests this year - last October was the last, unless I've been in a fugue state since then.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

nlw44 wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
I don't think there were any January tests this year - last October was the last, unless I've been in a fugue state since then.
Sorry I meant January 2016.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I'd like audition round 1
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

When I was at Jeopardy! in December to attend a taping, I told my friend I was going to ask Alex Trebek, "Who do I have to sleep with to get an audition!?" and she said I would be her hero if I really asked him that. Ultimately, I demurred, partly because there was a school group present, but mainly because I had no idea how they would take it and didn't want TPTB to blacklist me.

So I ask this forum: WHO DO I HAVE TO SLEEP WITH TO GET AN AUDITION???
immaf

Post by immaf »

morbeedo wrote:When I was at Jeopardy! in December to attend a taping, I told my friend I was going to ask Alex Trebek, "Who do I have to sleep with to get an audition!?" and she said I would be her hero if I really asked him that. Ultimately, I demurred, partly because there was a school group present, but mainly because I had no idea how they would take it and didn't want TPTB to blacklist me.

I am about halfway through my sixth swim in the contestant pool, and I sometimes toy with the idea of asking (should I ever get another opportunity) "Who do I have to sleep with to get THE CALL?" I doubt I would actually do so, though. I suspect it might hurt, rather than help, my chances. That being said, if I do not get the call this time, and manage to snag another audition, I will probably mention (as one of my factoids) that I have gone for six swims without being called.
Teems with quiet fun.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

immaf wrote:
morbeedo wrote:When I was at Jeopardy! in December to attend a taping, I told my friend I was going to ask Alex Trebek, "Who do I have to sleep with to get an audition!?" and she said I would be her hero if I really asked him that. Ultimately, I demurred, partly because there was a school group present, but mainly because I had no idea how they would take it and didn't want TPTB to blacklist me.

I am about halfway through my sixth swim in the contestant pool, and I sometimes toy with the idea of asking (should I ever get another opportunity) "Who do I have to sleep with to get THE CALL?" I doubt I would actually do so, though. I suspect it might hurt, rather than help, my chances. That being said, if I do not get the call this time, and manage to snag another audition, I will probably mention (as one of my factoids) that I have gone for six swims without being called.
Good luck to you immaf!! It still baffles me that I've never been invited to audition. For the first few years of the online test, I don't think my scores were good enough, frankly. But now I'm crushing the test and still getting passed over. Boo!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I was a contestant the day you were in the audience. I've slept with my wife for the last 40 years, but I don't know if that helped me get an audition. I definitely don't think the info will help you get an audition. But best of luck anyway!

jks
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

OK, one last time:

Online test: January 2016
Audition email: June 22
Vegas audition: July 15
The Call: February 8, 2017
(My tape date is March 8 and it will air at the end of June.)

I. Got. The. Call. I GOT THE CALL!

It's definitely still sinking in. It came when I was in a choir rehearsal and couldn't answer my phone. I freaked out when I looked afterwards and saw that the number was from Culver City. Then I listened to my voicemail and it was one of the coordinators asking to verify my info and (the whole "pre-call" call thing that happens sometimes). I told myself it didn't mean anything for sure ... I called back as soon as I got done with my next class, and answered all the questions ... and then Ryan, the contestant coordinator I was talking with, just launched right in and told me they wanted me to be on the show. At which point I ... was relatively calm on the phone, but my mind was doing cartwheels and then some. (I didn't expect it all to happen in the same call. On top of not expecting to even get a call in the first place.)

This was my fifth audition (and my first Adult one). I know for a fact I wouldn't be at this point without all of you folks here, which is why I'm so excited to make this post.

All of this seems so surreal to type. It's certainly going to be an exciting ride! :)