Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

squarekara
Valued Contributor
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by squarekara » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Golf wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 pm
JEB wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:32 pm
It really irritates me - sufficiently to register in order to make this comment - to see the consistent expression of the idea that women who audition are "guaranteed" to get on the show, while poor men don't have an equal shot. I've auditioned three times and not been asked to be on the show yet (I am in the current pool) and I'm sure many women could say the same. I also haven't found the audition pool to be that dramatically unbalanced. There were more men then women in my first two auditions but not drastically so; ironically the most unbalanced pool was at the most recent one in a stereo-typically more liberal and larger city. I did at that audition overhear the same old "oh I'm an old white guy so I'll never get on" talk. I know it must be frustrating to have a dream that is subject to non-objective factors. You can't get on Jeopardy by getting the highest score on the test - you have to appeal to them enough for them to want to put you on a tv show. But I would think a little about what kind of impression you might be creating when you have this kind of sour grapes attitude at the back of your mind. And I'd also think a little bit more about how offensive it is to be making the assumptions I see some of you making.
When it's documented over the years that auditions contain ~67% men and it's also documented that the ratio of contestants is 50/50 between men and women, it's obvious to everybody that a woman has a much better chance of being selected for the show once reaching an audition.

You can be offended all you want, but it's the truth.
Amen, JEB! Swimmers should put aside unproven notions about gender bias. Online testing predetermines that everyone in attendance can compete at a high level, so auditions are ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE. You cannot present yourself in an ideal light if you harbor resentment from the get-go. The coordinators want good players who are comfortable during the game. That's the quota they're looking to fill. They have better things to do than compare notes and make unfair casting decisions based entirely on gender. If you're lucky enough to audition, don't let perceived statistical injustice dull your shine.

Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Kingrat47 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 am

squarekara wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 pm
If you're lucky enough to audition, don't let perceived statistical injustice dull your shine.
This is precisely right. It's important to remember how lucky you are to be there - I have now been passed over for the seventh or eighth straight time, after getting an invite (on my worst test ever, no less) first crack out of the box. It's a fun time - have fun! And if you have fun, there's a better shot they'll pick you!

Good luck to all the Toronto auditioners!

charmingsecrets
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by charmingsecrets » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am

Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any success in rescheduling their audition or attending an audition in a different city, if they had a major conflict?
I was fortunate enough to get an audition invite in Toronto but I'm out of the country and can't fly back early.
A part of me is seriously considering cancelling my trip but I don't know if I need to be taking that drastic measure if rescheduling is an option.
Thanks for any advice!

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am

Send an email explaining your situation. They've been known to make efforts to reschedule.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by immaf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Absolutely tell them about your conflict. They will very likely offer you the possibility of going to a different city.
Teems with quiet fun.

charmingsecrets
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by charmingsecrets » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:41 pm

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am
Send an email explaining your situation. They've been known to make efforts to reschedule.
Thanks for the input! I'm just nervously waiting to hear back from them. Because my family is blatantly telling me to cancel the trip entirely and go to the audition. I do have the possibility of landing back in Toronto the day before the audition, but I don't think being jet lagged would do me any good

charmingsecrets
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by charmingsecrets » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 pm

immaf wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm
Absolutely tell them about your conflict. They will very likely offer you the possibility of going to a different city.
Hey, thanks for the comment. I've told them that I'm very willing to go to another city to audition. I just hope they do get back to me instead of moving on to others on the list!

jsm378
Contributor
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by jsm378 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Has anyone heard about Boston auditions? I thought with Boston being one of the four possibilities for College Tryouts that maybe they were holding off having Adult tryouts here so they could do both on the same trip.

Setho
Valued Contributor
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Setho » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 pm

charmingsecrets wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 pm
immaf wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm
Absolutely tell them about your conflict. They will very likely offer you the possibility of going to a different city.
Hey, thanks for the comment. I've told them that I'm very willing to go to another city to audition. I just hope they do get back to me instead of moving on to others on the list!
Way back in 2009 when I got my first (and only) in person audition, I had a conflict on the date they scheduled the audition. I emailed them explaining the conflict and they offered me a slot at the two remaining audition sites for that time period. My original audition was in DC and they offered me either NY or somewhere in Florida. Clearly I took the option and a few weeks later I got another audition invite when they sent out the NY invites. So there is room for flexibility, but your options may be limited and you may be required to travel a long distance for the audition.

User avatar
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm

charmingsecrets wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am
Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any success in rescheduling their audition or attending an audition in a different city, if they had a major conflict?
I was fortunate enough to get an audition invite in Toronto but I'm out of the country and can't fly back early.
A part of me is seriously considering cancelling my trip but I don't know if I need to be taking that drastic measure if rescheduling is an option.
Thanks for any advice!
I was able to reschedule a Sports Jeopardy audition to a different day in the same city a few years ago. The audition process for Sports Jeopardy was different (there were about 100 people invited, they gave the written test to all of them, graded, then narrowed the field to ~20 for the audition part), but they were very accommodating in offering other options when I told them I had a conflict.
Sheepin' it real.

User avatar
RoJo
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:54 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by RoJo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am

jsm378 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:40 pm
Has anyone heard about Boston auditions? I thought with Boston being one of the four possibilities for College Tryouts that maybe they were holding off having Adult tryouts here so they could do both on the same trip.
My niece just accepted an invitation to the College Jeopardy auditions in Boston.

User avatar
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:21 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by flutist319 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I just got an email about a November 16th audition in Boston. (Regular, not college.)

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:34 pm

flutist319 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm
I just got an email about a November 16th audition in Boston. (Regular, not college.)
Well, I can cross my fingers and hope they went home for the night but still plan to send out a few more tomorrow morning.

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by billiej » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:34 pm
flutist319 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm
I just got an email about a November 16th audition in Boston. (Regular, not college.)
Well, I can cross my fingers and hope they went home for the night but still plan to send out a few more tomorrow morning.
Ditto!

NoWhammies10
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Toronto, Ont.

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by NoWhammies10 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm

TORONTO!

Check your emails. Just got an invite to an audition on November 14th. I am OVER THE MOON!

User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by goatman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Call me crazy, label me mad; pretty sure showing up with irritable affect and shoulder chip re: white male prejudicial nonselection leads to:
SpoilerShow
NONSELECTION
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1217
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by boson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:32 pm

NoWhammies10 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm
TORONTO!

Check your emails. Just got an invite to an audition on November 14th. I am OVER THE MOON!
Congrats!!!

(checks his email for the umpteenth time)

sigh

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:38 am

FWIW, this is the most depressing thread ever

Even more depressing: when I hear that many players auditioned 2, 3, 4 or more times before getting on the show, my soul is crushed

I've had one audition - that's right - one - after 'passing' the online test consistently for many years. 7 or 8 years for 1 audition, while others get an audition almost every year.

I suspect there are sinister forces at work here

On the upside, I am enjoying my swim in the pool and I believe The Call will come. God help me if it doesn't :P

NoWhammies10
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Toronto, Ont.

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by NoWhammies10 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 am

Your time will come. I've taken the test every year for the last six years (10 if you count Teen Tournament as well) and this is the first time anything's come of it. Good luck in the pool!

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm

NoWhammies10 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 am
Your time will come. I've taken the test every year for the last six years (10 if you count Teen Tournament as well) and this is the first time anything's come of it. Good luck in the pool!
Thanks! Have fun at the audition! Sit up front and look like you're having the best time ever!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], mapedDep and 18 guests