Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by John Boy »

bomtr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 am Completely off the subject, but I finally got another audition; next month in Seattle.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:28 pm So when you're on the highway and it's shut down and everyone is being forced to exit and there's no detour posted and you don't have gps, a phone or any maps, you don't follow your instincts and take the roads that seem like they'll get you to where you're going...you just sit on the shoulder and wait for the highway to reopen?

Well good for you
I wouldn't tell three different people I was upping my odds on arriving on time while taking roads I had no idea where they were going.

Obviously you should have picked Seattle instead of Charlotte..... I might suggest asking bomtr for advice on getting called for auditions. :D Congrats!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:33 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:28 pm So when you're on the highway and it's shut down and everyone is being forced to exit and there's no detour posted and you don't have gps, a phone or any maps, you don't follow your instincts and take the roads that seem like they'll get you to where you're going...you just sit on the shoulder and wait for the highway to reopen?

Well good for you
I wouldn't tell three different people I was upping my odds on arriving on time while taking roads I had no idea where they were going.

Obviously you should have picked Seattle instead of Charlotte..... I might suggest asking bomtr for advice on getting called for auditions. :D Congrats!
suppose you never in your life bought a lottery ticket either, if you say no, i won't believe you anyway
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

reddpen wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm
QBall wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 amTo get this topic nack on track, I've seen at least two people mention they just got invites for auditions in Seattle next month.
I've seen just one (StevensonM on the LL msg board), but that's one more invite than has appeared in any of my folders since 2011, and it's not cuz I'm not passing the test. Don't get me wrong, I'll keep checking, but optimism is not high.

Next year before the online test, will someone please remind everyone--especially those whose scores tend toward the upper end of the scale--that Roger Craig didn't get on the show till his online test score dropped--quite deliberately--to 40 from the high 40s?
Just for the record, I never scored in the high 40s on the online test.
My advice is for everyone to focus less on numbers and more on being a good contestant that follows directions and is fun to talk to in general and has some interesting stories specifically. Having a unique profession or tv market probably helps too. :)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

RCraig wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:32 pm
reddpen wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm
QBall wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 amTo get this topic nack on track, I've seen at least two people mention they just got invites for auditions in Seattle next month.
I've seen just one (StevensonM on the LL msg board), but that's one more invite than has appeared in any of my folders since 2011, and it's not cuz I'm not passing the test. Don't get me wrong, I'll keep checking, but optimism is not high.

Next year before the online test, will someone please remind everyone--especially those whose scores tend toward the upper end of the scale--that Roger Craig didn't get on the show till his online test score dropped--quite deliberately--to 40 from the high 40s?
Just for the record, I never scored in the high 40s on the online test.
My advice is for everyone to focus less on numbers and more on being a good contestant that follows directions and is fun to talk to in general and has some interesting stories specifically. Having a unique profession or tv market probably helps too. :)
How can that be??? That's what I've been saying to focus on instead of studying, and have been told how wrong I am... :roll:
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

After doing well on several previous tests, I was finally selected for an audition!

Online test date: May 30, 2017
Audition Invite email received: June 23
Audition date: Friday, August 11

I live in Dayton, OH and Pittsburgh, PA is my audition location.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

ClosingTime wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 pm After doing well on several previous tests, I was finally selected for an audition!

Congratulations! They really seem to be criss-crossing the country this time.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

ClosingTime wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 pm After doing well on several previous tests, I was finally selected for an audition!

If we both get invited, would you consider carpooling?
spunkypreppy11
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by spunkypreppy11 »

A few days ago I got an invite to the Pittsburgh audition. I live 265 miles away and am MUCH closer to other cities like Baltimore, DC, NYC, etc. Is it typical to be sent somewhere so far if there are closer choices? I don't recall when signing up being able to choose a preference. Can it hurt to respond asking if there is any chance of a closer spot?
ToeKneeArmAss

Post by ToeKneeArmAss »

Congratulations!! What was your test score?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

spunkypreppy11 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:29 pm A few days ago I got an invite to the Pittsburgh audition. I live 265 miles away and am MUCH closer to other cities like Baltimore, DC, NYC, etc. Is it typical to be sent somewhere so far if there are closer choices? I don't recall when signing up being able to choose a preference. Can it hurt to respond asking if there is any chance of a closer spot?
Never hurts to ask, as long as you tell them you will do their evil bidding if they can't accommodate you.

There was a list of cities to choose when signing up for the most recent test. Back in October there wasn't a choice...(did you take the more recent test?)

BTW--do you know what your test score was?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

ToeKneeArmAss wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:31 pm

good idea, let's start posting our test scores (if we know them) when we get that invite. We still won't have anything definitive on what is passing, but it would be nice to see what score range does give hope to those of us who have never had that invite.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

bomtr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 amCompletely off the subject, but I finally got another audition; next month in Seattle.
Great news! Best of luck, my friend. Drop me a line about when you head south, though I'm out of town July 19-23.

Roger, perhaps I misremembered the story and you were referring to your in-person test? Or did I imagine the entire discussion? Gotta stop buying the cheap peyote...
In and out of the pool four times
spunkypreppy11

Post by spunkypreppy11 »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:53 pm
spunkypreppy11 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:29 pm A few days ago I got an invite to the Pittsburgh audition. I live 265 miles away and am MUCH closer to other cities like Baltimore, DC, NYC, etc. Is it typical to be sent somewhere so far if there are closer choices? I don't recall when signing up being able to choose a preference. Can it hurt to respond asking if there is any chance of a closer spot?
Never hurts to ask, as long as you tell them you will do their evil bidding if they can't accommodate you.

There was a list of cities to choose when signing up for the most recent test. Back in October there wasn't a choice...(did you take the more recent test?)

BTW--do you know what your test score was?

Ahh... I don't remember picking a city, and don't think I would've picked Pittsburgh?! I emailed back and asked if it was possible to go to another city closer, but that if not I would absolutely be there. Will see what they say! I did well on my online test, but not amazing... I'd say around 38.
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Anyone here who chose Omaha? Haven't seen any mention of auditions so I'm still crossing my fingers! Finished swimming for the first time in December so another dip in the pool so to speak would be nice :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

britt408 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:22 pm Anyone here who chose Omaha? Haven't seen any mention of auditions so I'm still crossing my fingers! Finished swimming for the first time in December so another dip in the pool so to speak would be nice :)
I didn't even notice Omaha or I might've selected it as it's the closest to me and we've been there (on our way back from my Kansas City audition two years ago yesterday just to say I'd been to Nebraska (just bought gas and lunch there). Had I only known ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:36 pm
britt408 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:22 pm Anyone here who chose Omaha? Haven't seen any mention of auditions so I'm still crossing my fingers! Finished swimming for the first time in December so another dip in the pool so to speak would be nice :)
I didn't even notice Omaha or I might've selected it as it's the closest to me and we've been there (on our way back from my Kansas City audition two years ago yesterday just to say I'd been to Nebraska (just bought gas and lunch there). Had I only known ...
I was disappointed to not see Kansas City on the list, but Omaha's only a 2.5 hour drive from here and my folks are just north of there so I wouldn't mind a little drive.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:47 am

Possibly, but it is hard to say for sure right now. My oldest son lives in Pittsburgh, so I may try to make it into a weekend visit with him, but he works as a private investigator all over Pennsylvania, Ohio, and a few other states and will not even know if he will be in town that weekend until the week before. Did you get an audition invite?
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

ToeKneeArmAss wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

ClosingTime wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:04 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:47 am

Possibly, but it is hard to say for sure right now. My oldest son lives in Pittsburgh, so I may try to make it into a weekend visit with him, but he works as a private investigator all over Pennsylvania, Ohio, and a few other states and will not even know if he will be in town that weekend until the week before. Did you get an audition invite?
Well, it looks like I didn't get an invitation in either round of emails, so this is moot. Good luck at the audition, and I hope you get on the show.