Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Kingrat47 »

Ridiculogic wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:34 am I auditioned in Atlanta and got the call this week. I am still shocked! Taping on July 24th!!

I have just joined jboard so I was hoping somebody could point me to a thread that discusses highest-yield prep strategies.

I tried searching but it seems like I was just pulling one-off comments from random threads.

Thanks in advance!
Adam
Congratulations! Knock 'em dead!

As far as prep strategies go, i can't recall any threads specifically, though there is a thread related to at least one area of interest:

Current Events

I remember there being more, but I can't find them in the first 25 pages of threads. There is also a great deal of discussion about optimal wagering strategies, if that's your bag, but as it isn't mine, I invite you to find them yourself - just follow the sound of singing Vikings.

I don't know if you've had a chance to read Bob Harris' book Prisoner of Trebekistan, but it has a lot of advice about prep and is a great read generally. I'm away from my copy at the moment, but there's both a lot of general discussion about what he thinks works and specific discussion about what he personally did.

Good luck!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Kingrat47 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:33 am
Ridiculogic wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:34 am I auditioned in Atlanta and got the call this week. I am still shocked! Taping on July 24th!!

I have just joined jboard so I was hoping somebody could point me to a thread that discusses highest-yield prep strategies.

I tried searching but it seems like I was just pulling one-off comments from random threads.

Thanks in advance!
Adam
Congratulations! Knock 'em dead!

As far as prep strategies go, i can't recall any threads specifically, though there is a thread related to at least one area of interest:

Current Events

I remember there being more, but I can't find them in the first 25 pages of threads. There is also a great deal of discussion about optimal wagering strategies, if that's your bag, but as it isn't mine, I invite you to find them yourself - just follow the sound of singing Vikings.

I don't know if you've had a chance to read Bob Harris' book Prisoner of Trebekistan, but it has a lot of advice about prep and is a great read generally. I'm away from my copy at the moment, but there's both a lot of general discussion about what he thinks works and specific discussion about what he personally did.

Good luck!
There is an old thread - a re-emergence of an even older thread on the previous jeopardy board - on "Pavlov" clues. A Pavlov clue is one where if you hear a specific clue ("dutch lens grinder") it almost always leads you to a specific response ("Spinoza"). Here is the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=343

The very best Jeopardy prep regimen ever was by Roger Craig. See here: .

Here is a site that can help you do the same (note - I haven't tried it recently myself): http://www.trivia-trainer.com/
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I'm worried that multiple people from a taping cohort are going to inadvertently announce a Call on the board and cause themselves extra paperwork headaches on their tape day.

Might a thread containing good general study prep info be a good thing to sticky and lock at the top of the board, so that prospective contestants can find it without having to disclose taping status?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

I've always thought I was a pretty good J! player (after all, I've passed the contestant quiz, um, several times). But living in the same galaxy as guys like Ken Jennings and Roger Craig is an excellent way to stay humble. And this thread---with a for-God's-sake web-based video on how to study for J! and improve more effectively---really makes me feel as if I should crawl back to my cave. On my knuckles. This was impressive.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:07 pm No one has seen anything for Memphis yet, correct?
I hope not!
Similarly, I am hoping no one has heard about a Detroit audition yet. My wife and I both passed the online test this time (by our count), so among other possibilities I am hoping they don't think we gave each other answers.
h2o_girl
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by h2o_girl »

Thanks in advance!
Adam
Woohoo! Congrats!
I just joined as well - my audition is in a couple weeks in San Francisco. Good luck to all auditioning on here.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

John Boy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:20 pm I've always thought I was a pretty good J! player (after all, I've passed the contestant quiz, um, several times). But living in the same galaxy as guys like Ken Jennings and Roger Craig is an excellent way to stay humble. And this thread---with a for-God's-sake web-based video on how to study for J! and improve more effectively---really makes me feel as if I should crawl back to my cave. On my knuckles. This was impressive.
There have been lots of people who worked hard to prepare for Jeopardy, but few who have done it as systematically as Roger... but then again there are very few who have done as well as him. Use this as the gold standard of preparation and accomplishment: do what you can to approach this, but if you don't make it, you can still be successful. There are a lot of champions whose preparation was far less than this who still got a big pile of cash.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am I'm worried that multiple people from a taping cohort are going to inadvertently announce a Call on the board and cause themselves extra paperwork headaches on their tape day.

Might a thread containing good general study prep info be a good thing to sticky and lock at the top of the board, so that prospective contestants can find it without having to disclose taping status?
I'm not so worried about people disclosing taping status - in this age of social media, people are connected in a gazillion ways that forms will have difficulty capturing. If I get the call though, I won't be publicizing it.

I think a sticky thread containing the collected wisdom from this board of how to get on Jeopardy (and win!) is a great idea. This board is great for talking about shows recent shows, but finding the pearls of wisdom is more difficult. Having a thread like that as one of the first thing a visitor to jboard sees would certainly attract people.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:25 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:20 pm I've always thought I was a pretty good J! player (after all, I've passed the contestant quiz, um, several times). But living in the same galaxy as guys like Ken Jennings and Roger Craig is an excellent way to stay humble. And this thread---with a for-God's-sake web-based video on how to study for J! and improve more effectively---really makes me feel as if I should crawl back to my cave. On my knuckles. This was impressive.
There have been lots of people who worked hard to prepare for Jeopardy, but few who have done it as systematically as Roger... but then again there are very few who have done as well as him. Use this as the gold standard of preparation and accomplishment: do what you can to approach this, but if you don't make it, you can still be successful. There are a lot of champions whose preparation was far less than this who still got a big pile of cash.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am I'm worried that multiple people from a taping cohort are going to inadvertently announce a Call on the board and cause themselves extra paperwork headaches on their tape day.

I'm not so worried about people disclosing taping status - in this age of social media, people are connected in a gazillion ways that forms will have difficulty capturing. If I get the call though, I won't be publicizing it.

I think a sticky thread containing the collected wisdom from this board of how to get on Jeopardy (and win!) is a great idea. This board is great for talking about shows recent shows, but finding the pearls of wisdom is more difficult. Having a thread like that as one of the first thing a visitor to jboard sees would certainly attract people.
Probably too much disagreement on the subject to warrant the sticky
Total game show career losings = $171,522
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Prisoner of Trebekistan should be required reading for everyone on this board. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll settle on a favorite name for the signalling device. (Mine is "Palm Hoopty." Thanks, Bob!) He details a prep regimen that clearly worked for him on the show, but I think the take-away is that a sense of humor going in will prove invaluable. Don't forget to enjoy yourself and appreciate the unquantifiable aspects of the experience.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Pointer wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:19 pm
klakins wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 pm Today I got THE CALL!
In case this is pertinent:

There are 0 players in J! Archive billed as being from Newfoundland. Assuming you're living there when you tape, you'll be the first to actually be introduced as from Newfoundland.
There have been other players in the past from Newfoundland, Canada. I wonder why they would not be in the archive?
It's likely that they may have originally been from NL but decided to be billed as from their location at time of taping. I believe that was the case for at least one KJL.

Other than that? It would likely just be that their game hasn't made the Archive. Do you have any examples of people who should have been billed as from Newfoundland but weren't?
Andy Saunders
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:03 pm Prisoner of Trebekistan should be required reading for everyone on this board. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll settle on a favorite name for the signalling device. (Mine is "Palm Hoopty." Thanks, Bob!) He details a prep regimen that clearly worked for him on the show, but I think the take-away is that a sense of humor going in will prove invaluable. Don't forget to enjoy yourself and appreciate the unquantifiable aspects of the experience.
+1 for Prisoner of Trebekistan. You must become one with the Eightfold Path to Enlightened Jeopardy!.

As far as naming the signalling device, Palm Hoopty is good, but I prefer Jeopardy! Weapon™ myself.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Were I to name the signalling device, it would be "What the %*@&*! is Wrong With This Thing?!?"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 pm Were I to name the signalling device, it would be "What the %*@&*! is Wrong With This Thing?!?"
I frequently thought of it as the "Patented Jeopardy! Buzz-in Prevention Device -- as seen on TV!!"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Someone on Reddit reported that Detroit emails went out today.
Andy Saunders
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Idle thought: I've been to a few auditions, and I know the CCs are always telling contestant wannabes that they want us to write down interesting items so that AT will have interesting interview material if we get on the show. I've even heard them beg us for "MORE INTERESTING!" because interviews have something of a reputation for being, uh, sometimes not very memorable.

With that in mind I wonder how in Marilyn's two games this week, her interview topics were "I have two best friends" and "Hi, Grandpa." I'm assuming she had other things on her list, so why would AT choose those?
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 pm Someone on Reddit reported that Detroit emails went out today.
I saw that, checked my e-mail, and wept. It was legitimately the only glimmer of hope I've had all year.

I can still foolishly hope that several people miss their chance to respond so they go further down the list.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:11 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 pm Someone on Reddit reported that Detroit emails went out today.
I saw that, checked my e-mail, and wept. It was legitimately the only glimmer of hope I've had all year.

I can still foolishly hope that several people miss their chance to respond so they go further down the list.
After eight tries, I think, I finally "passed" the test. It would have been too much to hope for that I'd get the email. So I'm still disappointed, but I hardly deserve it. But I'll keep checking the spam folder this week anyway.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Anachronism wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:52 pm After eight tries, I think, I finally "passed" the test. It would have been too much to hope for that I'd get the email. So I'm still disappointed, but I hardly deserve it. But I'll keep checking the spam folder this week anyway.
I've passed every time since they started posting the clues the day after the test, and at least one time before that as I did get a call down to a Lexington audition years ago. Didn't get called to Los Angeles afterward, but gosh darn it, I'm actually INTERESTING now.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Just got an email invite for auditions in Portland, OR!
seattlecyclone
Contributor

Post by seattlecyclone »

fowlerism wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:46 pm Just got an email invite for auditions in Portland, OR!
Me too! I've never done one of these before. Any tips?