Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Johnblue »

One of the contestant coordinators asked almost everyone about their "fur babies." I think if I get an audition again, I'll make up a dog or cat.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Johnblue wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:49 pm One of the contestant coordinators asked almost everyone about their "fur babies." I think if I get an audition again, I'll make up a dog or cat.
If they're that interested in fur babies, they might ask to see a picture on your cellphone...copy one from the internet to be prepared.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Johnblue wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:49 pm One of the contestant coordinators asked almost everyone about their "fur babies." I think if I get an audition again, I'll make up a dog or cat.
That's the kind of question I got at the last audition, though not about a pet.
vixie85
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by vixie85 »

Has anyone received the emailed invitation and then not received the follow up email with the actual location of the audition? I got an email to audition in New York on April 22 and replied yes immediately but with the audition less than a week away, I still don't have the details. I replied again this morning, but so far no response. I've read the initial email dozens of times and I'm sure I did everything right. Any ideas or experiences?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

vixie85 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm Has anyone received the emailed invitation and then not received the follow up email with the actual location of the audition? I got an email to audition in New York on April 22 and replied yes immediately but with the audition less than a week away, I still don't have the details. I replied again this morning, but so far no response. I've read the initial email dozens of times and I'm sure I did everything right. Any ideas or experiences?
They say 10 business days, but not knowing when you received the initial... *shrug*?
My confirmation took 10 days (not business) to turn up after the initial.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

vixie85 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm Has anyone received the emailed invitation and then not received the follow up email with the actual location of the audition? I got an email to audition in New York on April 22 and replied yes immediately but with the audition less than a week away, I still don't have the details. I replied again this morning, but so far no response. I've read the initial email dozens of times and I'm sure I did everything right. Any ideas or experiences?
I would say check and double check to make sure no emails have gone to a spam folder. I don't know how likely, but maybe the second email could have been from a different address than the first. If no luck there, then I guess double check that the address you've sent your emails to is the correct address that the initial email told you to use. If nothing seems amiss there, then I guess you're in a bad spot.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I would email again to be sure. I would also go into my sent items and print the original reply. Then if I heard nothing, I would just show up, and explain that you never got a reply.

The worst that happens is they turn you away from the audition; the best that happens is they let you in.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

Any boardies care to let us know how their NYC audition went?

Retroactive good luck to those who had auditions yesterday and today! Anyone know if Saturday is the last day in New York?
Prizes
Just Started Her First Lap in the Jeopardy! Pool!

Post by Prizes »

This will be made friends only in one week. Basically an overall review of my day and the audition, 4/21 in NYC. Some RARE (but great!) things happened, and I think I made an incredible impression.

https://www.facebook.com/jessica.brand6 ... 687557241/

Any questions you have that I didn't answer about the process in general, specific, or otherwise, I'm good for it! No test material specific questions, of course. Good golly, this was a Top 10 day AT LEAST in my life. Outstanding. Maggie and I, ohhh man, that went well with energy bounceback and playing off one another. We got along like peas in a pod, surreal.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:43 pm Any boardies care to let us know how their NYC audition went?

Retroactive good luck to those who had auditions yesterday and today! Anyone know if Saturday is the last day in New York?
Today (Sunday) was the last day in NYC
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

raccoonleaf wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:14 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 am It was rumored a few months ago that there was going to be a test this month, and it didn't happen unless I missed it. Has anyone heard anything about a test in the near future?
There has not been a test since October.

The only rumor I've seen is that the next online qualifying test is in May (Go to about 3:50 http://www.azfamily.com/clip/13037316/j ... -auditions).

Has anyone kept a list of which cities have had invites and/or auditions since October? Here's what I've seen:

Phoenix, AZ
San Diego, CA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Looks like May wasn't just a rumor.

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/

EDIT: You get a chance to choose your cities again.

Houston
Austin
Seattle
Vancouver
Chicago
Omaha
D.C.
Baltimore
Boston
New York
Toronto
Denver
Charlotte, NC
Pittsburg
Tampa
Los Angeles

Looks like the cities are grouped by geographic region, but there's no real rhyme or reason to the order. That makes me think they're going to Texas next, then the Pacific NW, then the Midwest... etc.
Last edited by raccoonleaf on Mon May 01, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billiej

Post by billiej »

raccoonleaf wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:13 pm
raccoonleaf wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:14 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 am It was rumored a few months ago that there was going to be a test this month, and it didn't happen unless I missed it. Has anyone heard anything about a test in the near future?
There has not been a test since October.

The only rumor I've seen is that the next online qualifying test is in May (Go to about 3:50 http://www.azfamily.com/clip/13037316/j ... -auditions).

Has anyone kept a list of which cities have had invites and/or auditions since October? Here's what I've seen:

Phoenix, AZ
San Diego, CA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Looks like May wasn't just a rumor.

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/

EDIT: You get a chance to choose your cities again.

Houston
Austin
Seattle
Vancouver
Chicago
Omaha
D.C.
Baltimore
New York
Toronto
Denver
Charlotte, NC
Pittsburg
Tampa
Los Angeles

Looks like the cities are grouped by geographic region, but there's no real rhyme or reason to the order. That makes me think they're going to Texas next, then the Pacific NW, then the Midwest... etc.
Boston is also an option.
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

billiej wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:34 pm Boston is also an option.
Fixed
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woohoo!! Toronto and Vancouver!!!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I passed the online quiz in October. For me to take the quiz scheduled for the end of may would be:

a. redundant; can't hurt but can't help; or

b. prohibited; might get me booted from the pool; or

c. quite all right; nothing to be gained or lost; or

d. encouraged; passing again might help.

What do you think???
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

I passed the online quiz in October. For me to take the quiz scheduled for the end of may would be:

I TOOK THE TEST LAST YEAR. CAN I TAKE IT AGAIN?
Per the Faq:
If you took last year’s test, you are welcome to participate in this round of testing even if it hasn’t been a full year. There are two exceptions to this rule:

1.You are not eligible if you took the test and attended an in-person audition within the last 18 months. If you did attend an audition, but you would like to take the test "just for fun,” please select "Yes" for the appropriate show history eligibility question. You will not be considered for a contestant audition.

2.If you attended an authorized Jeopardy! contestant event (e.g., Jeopardy! Challenge), passed a qualifying test and participated in an audition, you must wait 18 months from the date of that audition before you are eligible to take the online test. If you did not pass the qualifying test, the regular online test rules apply. Any attempt to take the online test during your period of ineligibility could result in disqualification.
Presumably, it would restart the clock for your eligibility. I'd say d).
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

John Boy wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:00 pm I passed the online quiz in October. For me to take the quiz scheduled for the end of may would be:

What do you think???
How do you know you passed? If you have not been invited to an audition, you did not pass (regardless of what your score was) and can/should take the test again. If you have auditioned in the last 18 months, you should not. That's pretty much it.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

classicroadster wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 4:37 pm
How do you know you passed? If you have not been invited to an audition, you did not pass (regardless of what your score was) and can/should take the test again. If you have auditioned in the last 18 months, you should not. That's pretty much it.
Yes, this, exactly.

There's not a number that's an automatic "pass" straight to an audition.

If you have taken a test without getting an audition, take the test again.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

classicroadster wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 4:37 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:00 pm I passed the online quiz in October. For me to take the quiz scheduled for the end of may would be:

What do you think???
That if you passed part is regarding the im person qualifying test--you are told if you passed that.

I didn't know they still did those, and could be some information they didn't update as there were no eligibility questions when I signed up today.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

raccoonleaf wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:40 pm
billiej wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:34 pm Boston is also an option.
Fixed

Thank goodness (although I know how whiny that must sound to the many boardies who have flown hundreds of miles for an audition - for us densely populated East Coasters even a trip from New England to New York is a major effort).