Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by cinemaniax7 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am

Through December 2012, I had been selected to audition for J! four out of the five times I was eligible. Since that time, I have scored 40+ on every online test I was eligible to take and have not been randomly chosen for a single audition, including Charlotte this year. Surely the odds must turn in my favor again before long.

Right?

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 am

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am
Through December 2012, I had been selected to audition for J! four out of the five times I was eligible. Since that time, I have scored 40+ on every online test I was eligible to take and have not been randomly chosen for a single audition, including Charlotte this year. Surely the odds must turn in my favor again before long.

Right?
But you’re still in the pool? What am I missing?

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2226
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by John Boy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am
Through December 2012, I had been selected to audition for J! four out of the five times I was eligible. Since that time, I have scored 40+ on every online test I was eligible to take and have not been randomly chosen for a single audition, including Charlotte this year. Surely the odds must turn in my favor again before long.

Right?
Whatever selection process they are using to winnow down all those who pass the quiz (and pick the same audition city) to the manageable number who actually get invited, that process can be pretty brutal. Whether it's absolutely random, luck-of-the-draw, or something else...just brutal.

Dating back to the 2009 online quiz I have scored what I believe to be a passing grade (again, using the conventional wisdom that 35 is a pass, I have cleared with a few points to spare) no fewer than seven times without an invitation to an audition.

YMMV, but them's the facts for a lot of folks out here in wannabe land.

User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by immaf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:17 pm

John Boy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am
Whatever selection process they are using to winnow down all those who pass the quiz (and pick the same audition city) to the manageable number who actually get invited, that process can be pretty brutal. Whether it's absolutely random, luck-of-the-draw, or something else...just brutal.

Dating back to the 2009 online quiz I have scored what I believe to be a passing grade (again, using the conventional wisdom that 35 is a pass, I have cleared with a few points to spare) no fewer than seven times without an invitation to an audition.

YMMV, but them's the facts for a lot of folks out here in wannabe land.
My mileage varies a great deal. Back in the postcard era, I was twice selected to take the test, and passed (was held on to play in a mock game, short interview, etc.) both times. There have been four times in the online test era when I believe I have scored 35 or better, and I was called for an audition every time. Is that just dumb luck? Probably, but I'm not complaining. And I hope I haven't just jinxed myself.

Of course, I've never gotten THE CALL. I don't know if that's just bad luck, or if there's something wrong with how I come across in auditions. (Both, probably.) I've just washed out of the pool for the sixth time (My "rank" is out of date.) So I'll start the process again with the online test. Hope springs eternal.
Teems with quiet fun.

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by cinemaniax7 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 am
But you’re still in the pool? What am I missing?
I simply neglected to change my status with the J!Board gatekeepers. I am surely no longer in the pool at this point.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by boson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am
Through December 2012, I had been selected to audition for J! four out of the five times I was eligible. Since that time, I have scored 40+ on every online test I was eligible to take and have not been randomly chosen for a single audition, including Charlotte this year. Surely the odds must turn in my favor again before long.

Right?
I wish I could be more positive, but I suspect the 4/5 auditions was the anomaly, not the 0/5 since. :(

My luck is similar: audition in 1998 (pre-online), audition in 2008 (online), none since. Passed with 40+ (ok, maybe one 38 in there...) every time there was an online test since 2008. 2018 should get me an audition, if simple pattern recognition tells me anything!

User avatar
nickanspach
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by nickanspach » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Took the online test January 2016 (2nd time trying the online test).

In-person audition June 2016 in New York (1st time doing the in-person audition).

Got the call last month, mid-January 2018.

Tape this week, February 14th, 2018.

Episode will air the week of June 11th.

I was right up against my 18-month window and had written off my chances of getting on the show, so don't despair if you're nearing the end of your time in the eligibility pool!

squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by squarekara » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 pm

nickanspach wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Tape this week, February 14th, 2018.
Have a blast!

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 pm

nickanspach wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Took the online test January 2016 (2nd time trying the online test).

In-person audition June 2016 in New York (1st time doing the in-person audition).

Got the call last month, mid-January 2018.

Tape this week, February 14th, 2018.

Episode will air the week of June 11th.

I was right up against my 18-month window and had written off my chances of getting on the show, so don't despair if you're nearing the end of your time in the eligibility pool!
Best of luck!
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm

nickanspach wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Got the call last month, mid-January 2018.

Tape this week, February 14th, 2018.

I was right up against my 18-month window and had written off my chances of getting on the show, so don't despair if you're nearing the end of your time in the eligibility pool!
Valentine’s Day! How fun! I was really hoping for that tape date, but now I’ll settle for ANY tape date. I’m in my second trimester of waiting for The Call

And Congrats! When exactly did the call come (day of week and time)? How did you feel about your audition?

Have the best time!

User avatar
nickanspach
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by nickanspach » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm

And Congrats! When exactly did the call come (day of week and time)? How did you feel about your audition?
The call was on a Friday (Jan 12th) around lunch time EST. I actually screened the call because it was an unrecognized number. Even though the my caller ID said Culver City, Jeopardy had fallen so far off my radar by then, I didn't put two and two together. But the contestant coordinator left a voicemail, so no harm done.

As for the audition, I was wracking my brain that whole week trying to remember the questions and my answers. Of the 50 questions, I could recall 44 of them (they're still saved in the Notes app in my phone). Of those 44, I was sure I had 33 correct, so I was feeling pretty good about my chances... at least until the months started slipping by. By a time a year had passed, I had kinda given up hope, so I'm hoping my long turnaround time shows that you really can get the call even if it's been a loooong time.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:26 pm

nickanspach wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm

And Congrats! When exactly did the call come (day of week and time)? How did you feel about your audition?
The call was on a Friday (Jan 12th) around lunch time EST. I actually screened the call because it was an unrecognized number. Even though the my caller ID said Culver City, Jeopardy had fallen so far off my radar by then, I didn't put two and two together. But the contestant coordinator left a voicemail, so no harm done.

As for the audition, I was wracking my brain that whole week trying to remember the questions and my answers. Of the 50 questions, I could recall 44 of them (they're still saved in the Notes app in my phone). Of those 44, I was sure I had 33 correct, so I was feeling pretty good about my chances... at least until the months started slipping by. By a time a year had passed, I had kinda given up hope, so I'm hoping my long turnaround time shows that you really can get the call even if it's been a loooong time.
I think personality counts way more, unless you totally skunk the test. Anyway, good luck! We look forward to hearing how it goes

User avatar
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:32 pm
Location: London, Canada

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by rouquinne » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 am

nickanspach wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Took the online test January 2016 (2nd time trying the online test).

In-person audition June 2016 in New York (1st time doing the in-person audition).

Got the call last month, mid-January 2018.

Tape this week, February 14th, 2018.

Episode will air the week of June 11th.

I was right up against my 18-month window and had written off my chances of getting on the show, so don't despair if you're nearing the end of your time in the eligibility pool!
All good luck to you, Nick!

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 3048
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by Magna » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm

I was looking through my emails and very sadly saw that I got an invitation to audition in L.A. last fall. :cry: Obviously I missed the window to respond. I don't know exactly what happened - whether it got caught on my spam filter or whether I just overlooked it. I also don't know whether this means I'm out of consideration for now, or whether I might get another invitation. I sent a reply as soon as I found it, telling them what happened, but I haven't heard back.

Anyone else have any experience with this, especially whether they ever extend a second invitation in this situation? Thanks.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5705
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by seaborgium » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Magna wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm
I was looking through my emails and very sadly saw that I got an invitation to audition in L.A. last fall. :cry: Obviously I missed the window to respond. I don't know exactly what happened - whether it got caught on my spam filter or whether I just overlooked it. I also don't know whether this means I'm out of consideration for now, or whether I might get another invitation. I sent a reply as soon as I found it, telling them what happened, but I haven't heard back.

Anyone else have any experience with this, especially whether they ever extend a second invitation in this situation? Thanks.
I would think that since it's an LA audition, you'll have a better chance of making up for the one you missed than if it had been in a location they had to travel to.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by morbeedo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Magna wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm
I was looking through my emails and very sadly saw that I got an invitation to audition in L.A. last fall. :cry: Obviously I missed the window to respond. I don't know exactly what happened - whether it got caught on my spam filter or whether I just overlooked it. I also don't know whether this means I'm out of consideration for now, or whether I might get another invitation. I sent a reply as soon as I found it, telling them what happened, but I haven't heard back.

Anyone else have any experience with this, especially whether they ever extend a second invitation in this situation? Thanks.
Oh man. That sucks! I use gmail and I have a rule set up to flag any email with subject: jeopardy or from:sony...- so when I finally got my first and only audition invite, it was starred at the top of my inbox / primary folder

Hope they given you another shot!

I’m thinking of sending them a physical real life snail mail post card- hi! Remember me! Wonder how that would go over.

inturnaround
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by inturnaround » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 am

I just got an audition invitation Tuesday for 3/24 in DC based off last May's test. Interesting. I wasn't even expecting that at this point considering the online tests are coming up again.

Did anyone else get one?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7678
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by econgator » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:16 pm

When I was looking at my profile, I noticed that they didn't even have an audition city for me, even though I am 100% certain I chose Tampa.

ETA: That was last year, not for the current one.

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by rjaguar3 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:03 pm

econgator wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:16 pm
When I was looking at my profile, I noticed that they didn't even have an audition city for me, even though I am 100% certain I chose Tampa.
I had a similar glitch and had to use the contact form (twice) to get it fixed.

User avatar
dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by dnbguy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:44 pm

inturnaround wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 am
I just got an audition invitation Tuesday for 3/24 in DC based off last May's test. Interesting. I wasn't even expecting that at this point considering the online tests are coming up again.

Did anyone else get one?
I did as well! If there's anyone else in that audition group, if you aren't local, I would recommend figuring out your travel plans ASAP - the Jeopardy auditions aren't the only thing going on in DC that day.

Post Reply