Monday, January 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Re: Monday, January 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BADuBois »

Congrats Sarah on your steamroller run!

Being a history and government geek, FJ was an Instaget for me. And Camp David was originally called Shangri-La by FDR, and then the name changed to Camp David when Dwight D. Eisenhower named it after his grandson.

What? Too much trivia? Is that ever possible? :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Sarah on win #5!

This board had a few clues that I thought were too vague, like the ones on Lincoln and Main Street, but overall it was a pretty good board. I didn't do too well on it, though.

I never would have come up with "the draft" on that one bottom of the board clue that was in the J! round, but that was a cool fact to learn.

I loved those tough bottom two clues in the "Gulf" category. I blanked on Aqaba, mainly because I would have expected it at the bottom of the board, but I did pick up the Lach trash on the Gulf of Sidra.

I was a deer in the headlights on FJ, but it was a great clue.
Last edited by StevenH on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote:but I did pick up the laugh trash on the Gulf of Sidra.
Lach Trash
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Great going Sarah. I haven't thought you would last this long, but thanks for proving me wrong. Great play today.
So, learning from this message board WILL come in handy in ToC :)

No chance on FJ here.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Congratulations Sarah on (presumably, probably) getting a spot in the next TOC!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Count me as another instagetter. I've been up there a number of times, and do an annual bicycle ride that starts in Thurmont and goes to Gettysburg. When I first visited the National Park that Camp David is adjacent to, it was clearly marked on the map they gave out. The next time I went up there, security had increased (but it was still prior to 9/11) and there was just an empty space where it had been. But there all sorts of signs on the road leading to it warning of a restricted area.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Congratulations to Sarah for joining the ranks of five-timers and looking more impressive each game!
Leonardisawesome wrote:I thought Final was either Site R or Camp David. Didn't it have "mountain" in the clue? That eliminated the Naval Academy.
This for me — more or less; Camp David was the only famous site that I associated with Maryland mountains.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Bethesda Naval Hospital for FJ.

I was really hoping Jon would get FJ right and Sarah would miss. Then he'd be able to see how much leaving $1,600 on the table on FJ cost him. I can see leaving $100 behind if you don't want to go all the way to zero, but what are you going to do with $1,600 with no more DDs left and that far behind? If there is ever a time to say those words everyone always wants to say on the show, this was it. He was given a gift when he was the only one not to correct Alex during the interviews and he blew it.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

I had a dream the night before the 1/13-1/17 taping that my FJ category would be Presidential Libraries and Museums, so I studied up on those just in case. When the category in today's was Government Sites, I thought I might have psychic powers.

(I did not.)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

lisa0012 wrote:Alex's accent totally threw me off on Argo.
Great job Sarah! I held my breath for a second when you rang in on the last clue and risked your lock.
I was also at the academy, which I knew made zero sense, but I was stuck.
The accent actually helped me. :)

FJ was an instaget, mostly because I couldn't think of another well-known government site in the Maryland mountains.

Way to go, Sarah!
StevenH wrote:Congrats to Sarah on win #5!

This board had a few clues that I thought were too vague, like the ones on Lincoln and Main Street, but overall it was a pretty good board. I didn't do too well on it, though.
I said The Hunger Games instead of Lincoln. :oops:
Last edited by ElendilPickle on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

sarah0114 wrote:I had a dream the night before the 1/13-1/17 taping that my FJ category would be Presidential Libraries and Museums, so I studied up on those just in case. When the category in today's was Government Sites, I thought I might have psychic powers.

(I did not.)
Four years ago, I had a dream that I was on Wheel of Fortune and I solved the bonus puzzle LEAP OF FAITH.

I will note that, to this date, that has yet to show up as a bonus puzzle...
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Great job Sarah! I held my breath for a second when you rang in on the last clue and risked your lock.
The accent helped me a lot with my Daily Double. He delivered the line just like CF did in the trailer!

For Argo, the first thing that came to mind was Ed Wood, and it would not get out of my head. And I'd seen Pitch Perfect weeks before, but couldn't remember the title, alas! Twitter seems more upset about that miss than they did about Roger Clemens.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Like Friday, it was a situation where the lock can be earned or lost no matter which of the two rings in. She had the lock, but if she avoids answering, she can lose it to second place getting the clue right. Second place has no reason not to try it, since they're locked out now, and ringing in can't make their situation worse.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

sarah0114 wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
And I'd seen Pitch Perfect weeks before, but couldn't remember the title, alas! Twitter seems more upset about that miss than they did about Roger Clemens.
It was un-aca-ceptible.

I'll see myself out
davey

Post by davey »

StevenH wrote:Congrats to Sarah on win #5!

Maybe Lincoln was too vague, but since the category was "Literary Byways" Main Street was the logical Sinclair Lewis book to choose. I was a little slow on the connection myself and picked Babbitt...
Came nowhere near Camp David...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

sarah0114 wrote:I had a dream the night before the 1/13-1/17 taping that my FJ category would be Presidential Libraries and Museums, so I studied up on those just in case. When the category in today's was Government Sites, I thought I might have psychic powers.

(I did not.)
Well, congratulations anyway! It just gets more and more fun watching you win.
EndlessEntropy
Valued Contributor

Post by EndlessEntropy »

Remembered Camp David from random wikipedia searches long ago... A little surprised it was a triple stumper though.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

-Shakespeare
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:4/5 in Same Name. Another brain jam on $1200. "Oh, not Charlotte, the other Carolina's capital." But my mind was just latched onto Charlotte and would not let go. Hate it when that happens, and it happens EVERY. FREAKING. DAY!!!
Raleigh, not Charlotte, so ...
Sure, rub salt in the wound, why don't you. :lol:
It's actually clam juice.

I went with Naval Observatory as well...mountains, navy...worse guesses possible at least.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Hoover was a total YKIOYD in Lou Gehrig for $400. You can't even give us a year to go on? Cheap.
Don't complain that you have prosopagnosia and can't recognize faces, and then complain that you can't get a clue that is basically asking you to identify Hoover's face. If Eddie Timanus doesn't complain about the clues that require a visual aspect when he plays at home because of his disability, you have absolutely no right to complain about a clue that can only be solved by people who don't have your disability.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Hoover wasb a total YKIOYD in Lou Gehrig for $400. You can't even give us a year to go on? Cheap.
If you know that Lou Gehrig retired in the late '30s, the guy right before FDR becomes the logical choice.
econgator wrote:
StevenH wrote:but I did pick up the laugh trash on the Gulf of Sidra.
Lach Trash
laugh track