Monday, January 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Presidential site Shangri-la could be called the James Hilton Hilton

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
BADuBois wrote:Camp David was originally called Shangri-La by FDR, and then the name changed to Camp David when Dwight D. Eisenhower named it after his grandson
It's named for Eisenhower's father as much as his grandson, since the grandson was naturally named for his grandfather.
Ike was named for his dad too. His birth name was David Dwight Eisenhower. They switched the order later to avoid confusion.
Sage stated that the David that the camp was named for is Ike's dad. But then he goes on to state that that should be obvious because the boy was named for Ike.

:?: :?: :?:

Or Sage, do you mean that Ike's grandson's grandfather was Ike's father?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Monday, January 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:So you did not need to see a video to solve the clue. You did not need to know what Hoover looked like. You didn't even need to be able to see. Eddie Timanus likely got this one right.
Eddie Timanus is also a sports writer, so there is his advantage - his name was dropped merely for the J! cachet.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
So Coolidge went (left office) during the streak and Roosevelt came (took office) during the streak. So a president who came and went during the streak served between Coolidge and Roosevelt. Only one person served between those two men and his name was Herbert Hoover.[…]All you needed to know was when Gehrig's streak ran and who was president during that time.
I wasn't using my inability to recognize Hoover's face as an excuse. Granted, I can't say that I've seen a picture of him before.

The problem here is twofold: a.) I had only the vaguest idea of when Lou Gehrig's career was, so guessing a president after FDR didn't seem out of the question to me, and b.) for some reason, I CANNOT make the presidents between the two Roosevelts stick in my head, no matter how hard I try. I know they were Taft, Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover, but when asked for who served when, the best I can ever do is "early 20th century".
Both a) and b) apply to me as well (despite my knowing (but obviously not well) The President's Song (and TPH, now that you like Animaniacs, it would behoove you to listen to this one a few times, it may stick - the only reason I know when Wilson's presidency is is from the line "In 1913 Woodrow Willllllllllllllllson takes us into World War One." (Sorry skullturf, while your mnemonic is equally good and useful, it's come too late to replace the other one.)) For folks like me, where a) and b) both applied, I got the clue solely based on his face. They threw several TOMs in there, which was to be expected for a (as I recall) top row clue.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Presidential site Shangri-la could be called the James Hilton Hilton

Post by Bamaman »

davey wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
It's named for Eisenhower's father as much as his grandson, since the grandson was naturally named for his grandfather. In any case, the name should be changed back to Shangri-la, since FDR called it that and the site wouldn't have been a presidential retreat without his having made it one. Presidents should have no right to name federal facilities for members of their families.
Why then should they have a right to name facilities for mythical places? Besides, as the clue indicated, Camp David is not the official name anyway...
Sage is just mad its named for Richard Nixon's son-in-law.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: "In 1913 Woodrow Willllllllllllllllson takes us into World War One." (Sorry skullturf, while your mnemonic is equally good and useful, it's come too late to replace the other one.))
If you are ever on the show and they answer the year WWI began, you might not want to refer to the Animaniacs.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
dhkendall wrote: "In 1913 Woodrow Willllllllllllllllson takes us into World War One." (Sorry skullturf, while your mnemonic is equally good and useful, it's come too late to replace the other one.))
If you are ever on the show and they answer the year WWI began, you might not want to refer to the Animaniacs.
Oh, I know what year WWI was (1914-1918, I *think* (though not certain) the Americans didn't get involved until 1917), but the song's date references are almost always references to when the President in question started or finished their term(s).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

i thought that was a Stallone movie from the accent and I love geography, ran em all! :D