Wednesday, January 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by naurae29 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Lord Henry—" "Nope, not gonna get this in a million years."
This right here is precisely the instinct you need to combat. Remember that the name of the character speaking the line is only *one* clue to the answer. There are others. Keep looking! A large part of my FJ success comes from trusting that the clue writers are rational, and that they think their clue is fair. Figure out how it's fair!

I've never read "The Picture of Dorian Gray," but this was an instaget. All I needed to know was a) a title character b) is addressed by someone who might be English nobility and c) was surprisingly unmarred (=physically?) by an exquisite (=extravagant?) life. If you've read a thumbnail sketch of the novel, that should be enough.
EndlessEntropy
Valued Contributor

Post by EndlessEntropy »

Love The Picture of Dorian Gray, got FJ after a bit of thinking after remembering who Lord Henry was. It's been awhile since I read TPODG but Lord Henry's style of speaking was one of the most distinct of any character I've come across in literature.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

-Shakespeare
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

naurae29 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Lord Henry—" "Nope, not gonna get this in a million years."
This right here is precisely the instinct you need to combat. Remember that the name of the character speaking the line is only *one* clue to the answer. There are others. Keep looking! A large part of my FJ success comes from trusting that the clue writers are rational, and that they think their clue is fair. Figure out how it's fair!
Not like it would've helped one iota, since literally the only thing I can remember about The Picture of Dorian Gray is that there is… something by that name. It barely even registered as a book to me. Could've been a play, a poem, or even a song for all I know.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

"Lord" led me to nobility --> knights --> Don Quixote.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
naurae29 wrote:
Not like it would've helped one iota, since literally the only thing I can remember about The Picture of Dorian Gray is that there is… something by that name. It barely even registered as a book to me. Could've been a play, a poem, or even a song for all I know.
Yes, the other part of the equation is that you have to expose yourself to more thumbnail summaries of things. But only if you want to get better at this.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:Literary Title Characters
Lord Henry tells him, "What an exquisite life you have had!...it has not marred you. You are still the same".
I've never read the book and here's how I broke the clue down.

Lord Henry-He sounds like some sort of snobby British guy, as someone else said, likely Victorian era.

Dickens is probably the best known Victorian era author, so going with one of his books probably wasn't a bad idea.

The rest of the quote says "What an exquisite life you have had!...it has not marred you. You are still the same".

Now, just looking at it quickly, it just seems like something someone would say to most anyone. but look deeper, it says he is still the same. What literary character is famous for never changing? The guy whose painting grew old.

All I know about the book is that it is about a guy whose painting ages while he does not. But I get just as much credit on the show for getting it as someone who wrote a masters thesis on the book.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Bamaman wrote:Do they tell the players that if there is a tie for second, the pre-FJ leader gets $2,000 and the other gets $1,000?
Yeah.
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

bpmod wrote:The receiver clue was just wrong. They described an amplifier. The receiver (to answer TPH) is the amp integrated with other functionality, such as a tuner.

Count me as another David Copperfield (and a 0/3 week so far).

Brian
The clue read:

FOOTBALL: $800: THE PART OF A STEREO SYSTEM THAT GETS THE ELECTRICAL SIGNALS AND CONVERTS THEM SO YOU CAN LISTEN.

I think you're getting too technical here, Brian. Certainly if you're a purist or radio snob you may have separate amp, pre-amp, and tuner. If you ask most people to describe what comprises a "stereo system" they would probably say 'receiver, speakers, subwoofer (optional), CD/DVD player (optional). They might even say 'I have a bookshelf system' and it's just one piece. Regardless, the only possible aspect of a stereo system that fits the clue is RECEIVER.

It's like many other clues where the general name (and most popular name) is what they're going for. If the clue reads "This part of the body processes what the eyes see" the judges might very well accept 'What is the brain?" or they could probe for "What is the visual cortex?" If the category were RHYMES WITH SPAIN, though, would you really beef?

Jeffrey
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I hate that rule. A tie for second is rare, so its not like they are saving a ton of money with this. They don't use a tie breaker if there is a tie for first.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Hey look at all the loony Obamaphobes on FB!

Jeffrey
Last edited by El Jefe on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

naurae29 wrote:

I've never read "The Picture of Dorian Gray," but this was an instaget. All I needed to know was a) a title character b) is addressed by someone who might be English nobility and c) was surprisingly unmarred (=physically?) by an exquisite (=extravagant?) life. If you've read a thumbnail sketch of the novel, that should be enough.
I'm with TPH on this one. Not in a million years.

Not that the clues weren't there, just that my brain was never going to make that connection in 30 seconds.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

Bamaman wrote:
Now, just looking at it quickly, it just seems like something someone would say to most anyone. but look deeper, it says he is still the same. What literary character is famous for never changing? The guy whose painting grew old.
1) Two of the three contestants obviously thought the quote was metaphorical, or relating to emotional growth, and it's a reasonable interpretation.

2) Character famed for never changing? Dracula, perhaps? That's what I was afraid I'd be stuck on for half of the FJ think time, even though I knew that no one could have known him long enough to tell he couldn't change. I was so relieved when Dorian Gray came to me. (I assume the judges wouldn't have minded a Grey/Gray mixup.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

El Jefe wrote:Certainly if you're a purist or radio snob you may have separate amp, pre-amp, and tuner. If you ask most people to describe what comprises a "stereo system" they would probably say 'receiver, speakers, subwoofer (optional), CD/DVD player (optional). They might even say 'I have a bookshelf system' and it's just one piece. Regardless, the only possible aspect of a stereo system that fits the clue is RECEIVER.
My problem is that I didn't know that "receiver" was part of a stereo. To me, the thing that comprises the radio/tape/CD player is the stereo. That thing and the speakers.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Leaper wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
1) Two of the three contestants obviously thought the quote was metaphorical, or relating to emotional growth, and it's a reasonable interpretation.

2) Character famed for never changing? Dracula, perhaps? That's what I was afraid I'd be stuck on for half of the FJ think time, even though I knew that no one could have known him long enough to tell he couldn't change. I was so relieved when Dorian Gray came to me. (I assume the judges wouldn't have minded a Grey/Gray mixup.)
#1 applies to my thought process as well.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Is this where we go to vent loudly about the wagers (at least, from those who didn't have a lock game), despite not recognizing most "obvious" betting situations 90% of the time?

Just want to make sure I have the right place.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Clammed on résumé since
Not even going to read the rest of that you never listen to us.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

dhkendall wrote:Is this where we go to vent loudly about the wagers (at least, from those who didn't have a lock game), despite not recognizing most "obvious" betting situations 90% of the time?

Just want to make sure I have the right place.
Wrong place. Apparently it is majorly frowned upon to say anything negative about Jeopardy contestants here. :D :roll:
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
wallzy41 wrote:TPH, Indeed. They're referred to as such, specifically when referring to 5.1 Surround Sound systems. It is the big DVD player looking thing that powers the speakers.
Every stereo I've ever owned has been just a box that I hit the radio buttons on/insert the tape or CD and two speakers. Which part exactly is the receiver?
mrparadise wrote:Call me a snob (or worse) but I would have been pleased to see five stand and stares for TV Cartoons.
You're a snob. Nothing wrong with adults who watch cartoons. :D
I'm glad the clue about Rocky(the Flying Squrrel) was guessed correctly. Not knowing who Rocky and Bullwinkle are is like not knowing I Love Lucy..it usually means that some more recent, yet forgettable, bit of pop-culture trash(such as knowing exactly which Kardashian sister is which) is occupying brain cells that would be better used to retain knowledge of the true classics. ("Thank you, Mr. Know It All!")
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Bamaman wrote:Do they tell the players that if there is a tie for second, the pre-FJ leader gets $2,000 and the other gets $1,000?

Count me as one who was glad I didn't have to do the picture/portrait coin flip.
The streak continues...yet another clue about this story in particular, or Oscar Wilde's work in general, eludes the contestants. Seriously, as much as the writers love mentioning Wilde seemingly once a month, maybe they could retire him for at least a few more weeks.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

naurae29 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
naurae29 wrote:
Yes, the other part of the equation is that you have to expose yourself to more thumbnail summaries of things. But only if you want to get better at this.
TPH, what exactly is it that you do on Wikipedia...look up only what you already know?