Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander »

skullturf wrote:I don't know if I can name a single example of a famous Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Thomas Cromwell
Disraeli
Gladstone
Neville Chamberlain
Churchill
Etc.

Quite a few Prime Ministers served some time in the office, although admittedly, they were not so famous for their accomplishments as Chancellor

Oddly named British government office led me immediately to the Exchequer. What else could it be?
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

alietr wrote:Was Alex crushing on Julie, or what?
It sure seemed like that to me.

And Alex seemed to enjoy the Scottish accents... maybe a little bit too much.

Julie was quite the impressive steamroller.

FJ was an Instaget for me.... abacus leads to counting leads to treasury leads to exchequer. Plus checkerboard pattern... there you go.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got a chuckle from the Scottish category since I had just watched Frank Spangenberg's episode on crackle, which featured a Scotland category.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I've been looking forward to this episode for awhile now, mainly because Bill is a Facebook friend dating back to the days when we both wrote articles on reality tv for the same website. In fact, when he moved to a new beat I took his old one. I was so hoping he would win, and was disappointed for him (certainly not in him), but loved his answer in FJ. Glad some of the same sense of humor I've been seeing in print for years came through on the show today. I've told him about this site and he said he may join up.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Took me until -after- the category was ran to figure out the 'Misspelled Bands' theme...

I'd like to thank Yes, [Prime] Minister for getting me Exchequer. I've probably seen it referenced elsewhere, but that's the big one.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

silverscreentest wrote:
Written about 2005 from http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Definitive_G ... ayers_List
Julie Singer
A. Talented, also unbalanced. Watching her cruelly flirt with helpless, pathetic quizbowl males was a predictably dreary sight at tournaments of the late-90s.
Z. A player with immense natural gifts. Had mad depth on her subjects (art, Italian and French literature) as an undergrad and would occasionally lead the well-balanced Maryland teams in scoring, but had the propensity to melt down in some big games and was erratic. May still merit inclusion on the above list.
I think "unbalanced" here means either "inconsistent" or "not broadly based", but not crazy.
Thanks for the link. Very interesting to read about Julie and many other familiar names with varying levels of J! fame or hoped for success if the call ever comes. Very impressive debut for Julie. Buzzer, knowledge, betting nerve, personality...Let's put a gremlin to work on the carousel.

Misspelled Bands had me unwilling to press my luck after getting Beatles and Motley Crue even though I could have guessed Phish, Gorillaz, and Black Crowes. By the time of Trevi Fountain for 2K I knew to go for it.

A category of The British Government had me expecting some kind of Prime Minister recall game. The clue had me knowing it had to be exchequer. That was easy enough. The spelling had me trying to sound it out and figuring out which letters stayed in and which ones did not. I got that part right. My next problem was how to complete the clue. Prime minister and president sounded wrong for "of the exchequer." Chancellor would not come to me and my response was "exchequer" alone. Judges?

Mankini was hilarious. Way for Bill to go out in style in his one shot.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Got Cratchit and Mitty, though.
I was actually wondering if you'd get Mitty. (My bet was on NHOI, but that's always the safest bet). Myself, I always remember Mitty from a description I once read of Snoopy (perhaps by Schultz himself) saying that he is "a beagle with a Walter Mitty complex".
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO those WWII battles. Which is odd, since I knew Belleau Wood = WWI because of a Garth Brooks song, and my mental guesses on the next three were all correct even though I was too afraid to ring in.
I NHO of the WWI battles, but I figured it was worth a ring-in on such as a) it was second row and b) it was right after WWII. (Plus several WWI battles took place in forested areas, Ardennes comes to mind.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:(Including being the puppy sidekick of an earthworm in a space suit. My props to anyone who gets that reference.)
Earthworm Jim (voiced by Dan "Homer Simpson" Castellanata.) Far too easy.
TenPoundHammer wrote:The gimmick of misspelling a word in Mispelled Bands was incredibly distracting as a TOM. At $400, I was wondering if some other band had released a song with the misspelling "All You Nead Is Love" to set it apart from the Beatles song, and staring at "Fue" was too distracting for me to even realize that I could tell you absolutely nothing about Mötley Crüe other than that they're a metal band.
Took me a little while to get the gimmick too (I think it was during the second clue), but once I caught on, it was easier to proceed. I couldn't tell you anything about Phish for example, except that they're spelled with a Ph (and they're a favourite of stoners), so that helped for that one. Same with Gorillaz. Heard of it, know that it's a cartoon band, that's all I needed.
skullturf wrote: I don't know if I can name a single example of a famous Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Leander beat me to it, but the PM is also the Chancellor of the Exchequer (or at least was - was unaware of this and thought they still were, but a guess of a PM from a while back like Disraeli or Gladstone would be helpful to name a famous one if it comes up in, say, a TD or something.)
silverscreentest wrote:
Written about 2005 from http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Definitive_G ... ayers_List
Julie Singer
A. Talented, also unbalanced. Watching her cruelly flirt with helpless, pathetic quizbowl males was a predictably dreary sight at tournaments of the late-90s.
Z. A player with immense natural gifts. Had mad depth on her subjects (art, Italian and French literature) as an undergrad and would occasionally lead the well-balanced Maryland teams in scoring, but had the propensity to melt down in some big games and was erratic. May still merit inclusion on the above list.
I think "unbalanced" here means either "inconsistent" or "not broadly based", but not crazy.
Oh, gar, there's actually a wiki on Quizbowl players? I really don't have anything to say to that.
BADuBois wrote:And Alex seemed to enjoy the Scottish accents... maybe a little bit too much.
I'm sure that's why they put that in there. I could just hear the conversation in the writers' room when they were putting that category together "Alex is gonna love this!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

MarkBarrett wrote:Prime minister and president sounded wrong for "of the exchequer." Chancellor would not come to me and my response was "exchequer" alone. Judges?
If I recall correctly, didn't defending champ Chip write down "Office of the Exchequer" or something very close to that?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: A category of The British Government had me expecting some kind of Prime Minister recall game. The clue had me knowing it had to be exchequer. That was easy enough. The spelling had me trying to sound it out and figuring out which letters stayed in and which ones did not. I got that part right. My next problem was how to complete the clue. Prime minister and president sounded wrong for "of the exchequer." Chancellor would not come to me and my response was "exchequer" alone. Judges?
Yep. FJ asked for "this office." Like those questions that ask for "this cabinet department" and you only have to say "State" or "Labor."
dhkendall wrote:
I was actually wondering if you'd get Mitty. (My bet was on NHOI, but that's always the safest bet). Myself, I always remember Mitty from a description I once read of Snoopy (perhaps by Schultz himself) saying that he is "a beagle with a Walter Mitty complex".
There was a movie very recently with that title; probably saw an advert or two for it?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Okay, I'm counting my one word response as correct. Thanks.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Volante wrote:Yep. FJ asked for "this office."
Because of that, for a brief moment or two, I thought FJ was asking for a specific physical *room* in a building, like "the red room" or "the green room" or "the round room" or "the oval office". I hit upon the correct interpretation shortly afterwards, though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
I knew it because I have a Garfield book from 1998 where Jim Davis talks about his first strip, Gnorm Gnat, and he compared one of the characters to Walter Mitty. I believe either he or someone else also compared Orson from U.S. Acres to Mitty. Also, I saw a poster for the Walter Mitty movie at Walmart last week. And I think I saw the Peanuts strip too. So yeah, knew Mitty three ways.

ALSO, THERE IS NO T IN CHARLES SCHULZ'S LAST NAME WHY CAN NOBODY EVER GET THIS RIGHT ARRRRGH IT'S WORSE THAN SAYING LEAD WHEN YOU MEAN LED.
dhkendall wrote:Earthworm Jim (voiced by Dan "Homer Simpson" Castellanata.) Far too easy.
Well, you lost a bet on me not knowing something, so I lost a bet on you knowing something. I honestly didn't think late 90s cartoons were your thing. And to that I say… EAT DIRT!!!! :lol:

(I think the cartoon's a riot, by the way, and I've never played the video games. I had never seen the cartoon until a friend played some episodes during an art stream on Livestream.)
dhkendall wrote:Took me a little while to get the gimmick too (I think it was during the second clue), but once I caught on, it was easier to proceed. I couldn't tell you anything about Phish for example, except that they're spelled with a Ph (and they're a favourite of stoners), so that helped for that one.
I remember the Letterman episode where Phish played on the Ed Sullivan Theater's sign.
dhkendall wrote:Same with Gorillaz. Heard of it, know that it's a cartoon band, that's all I needed.
See my post as for how I knew who Gorillaz are. They were created by one of the creators of Tank Girl, and I read a few panels of that once out of curiosity, so I knew that connection too.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

MarkBarrett wrote:Mankini was hilarious. Way for Bill to go out in style in his one shot.
Of course, had he really wanted to go out in style, he would have been wearing one in the post game chat...
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I was amused at Bill's answer of "lily" on the first clue, since that was my pre-call for the "'-LY' WORDS..." cat. I wonder if that cat name still fresh in his head misled him.
OCSam
Golf

Post by Golf »

Dr. J wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Mankini was hilarious. Way for Bill to go out in style in his one shot.
Of course, had he really wanted to go out in style, he would have been wearing one in the post game chat...
Maybe he was.... for good luck. :shock: :shock: :shock:
davey

Post by davey »

Second show in a row where my only knee-jerk pre-call turned out to be the right response...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

markmcsw wrote:Julie had a little of the Hilary Swank thing going on, and I don't mean from Boys Don't Cry.
My wife said Barbara Hershey, but I don't know enough about her to agree or not.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: ALSO, THERE IS NO T IN CHARLES SCHULZ'S LAST NAME WHY CAN NOBODY EVER GET THIS RIGHT ARRRRGH IT'S WORSE THAN SAYING LEAD WHEN YOU MEAN LED.
Does anyone ever scream at you in all capital letters when you make the same mistakes over and over and over again, and insist on telling us about them every single time?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dr. J wrote:
Could someone please pass the brain bleach? I'd like to get rid of this mental image... :shock:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: ALSO, THERE IS NO T IN CHARLES SCHULZ'S LAST NAME WHY CAN NOBODY EVER GET THIS RIGHT ARRRRGH IT'S WORSE THAN SAYING LEAD WHEN YOU MEAN LED.
Does anyone ever scream at you in all capital letters when you make the same mistakes over and over and over again, and insist on telling us about them every single time?
Perhaps his take is if he knows it it must be a total no-brainer. :)