Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue »

Ironically, I almost ran that band names category except for me favorite one, the BC's. I thought the returning champ would win easily but the new one was better on the buzzer. Easy FJ. They seem to be either really easy for me or no clue. Nobody got "tatties?"
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

And if he doesn't know it, then clearly Tropes in the Shadows or TV Todd..wait, other way around...don't think it's important enough to acknowledge. :roll:
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: ALSO, THERE IS NO T IN CHARLES SCHULZ'S LAST NAME WHY CAN NOBODY EVER GET THIS RIGHT ARRRRGH IT'S WORSE THAN SAYING LEAD WHEN YOU MEAN LED.
Does anyone ever scream at you in all capital letters when you make the same mistakes over and over and over again, and insist on telling us about them every single time?
Perhaps his take is if he knows it it must be a total no-brainer. :)
And if he doesn't know it, then clearly Tropes in the Shadows or TV Todd..wait, other way around...don't think it's important enough to acknowledge. :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: ALSO, THERE IS NO T IN CHARLES SCHULZ'S LAST NAME WHY CAN NOBODY EVER GET THIS RIGHT ARRRRGH IT'S WORSE THAN SAYING LEAD WHEN YOU MEAN LED.
Does anyone ever scream at you in all capital letters when you make the same mistakes over and over and over again, and insist on telling us about them every single time?
Jeez, lighten up. The last time I did that, also about the Schulz misspelling, almost everyone else understood that I was joking around.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Jeez, lighten up. The last time I did that, also about the Schulz misspelling, almost everyone else understood that I was joking around.
WHEN JERRY SEINFELD SHOUTS THE SAME PUNCH LINES, IT'S FUNNY! BUT YOU'RE NOT JERRY SEINFELD!!! WHYYY DOOOOO YOOOOUUUU KEEEEEP DOOOOOIIIING THIIIIIS?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
He seems to do that alot.

I got Walter Mitty from having actually read the short story by James Thurber.

Sad to say I spelled the FJ as exchecker. (Hey, its pronounced that way). I wasn't sure if something went before the q so I just went the phonetic route.

I had never heard of the mankini so I looked it up on Wikipedia and now I really wish I hadn't.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

This Is Kirk! wrote:My wife said Barbara Hershey, but I don't know enough about her to agree or not.
Well, not like that's something you have to know about someone before marrying them. ;)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Back when I saw Julie play in college, I thought Liv Tyler, which goes along with Hillary Swank, Barbara Hershey and the lips. Only tonight I noticed her cheekbones.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

I suspect this show was taped before the recent Walter Mitty movie came out.
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

dhkendall wrote:
skullturf wrote: I don't know if I can name a single example of a famous Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Leander beat me to it, but the PM is also the Chancellor of the Exchequer (or at least was - was unaware of this and thought they still were, but a guess of a PM from a while back like Disraeli or Gladstone would be helpful to name a famous one if it comes up in, say, a TD or something.)
As you say, the offices used to be combined, when the PM sat in the Commons, but they are distinct offices. They haven't been combined since 1923. The Prime Minister is, however, always the First Lord of the Treasury, which may have led to your confusion.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Johnblue wrote:Ironically, I almost ran that band names category except for me favorite one, the BC's. I thought the returning champ would win easily but the new one was better on the buzzer. Easy FJ. They seem to be either really easy for me or no clue. Nobody got "tatties?"
I've heard non-Scottish people say "tatties" as cutesy slang for potatoes, but that's not inconsistent with it being originally a Scottish thing. (I'm from Canada, which has a higher proportion of Scottish ancestry than the United States.)
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I had Exchequer at "tablecloth". I actually heard the story several years ago and it stuck. The rest of the clue just piled on confirmation. It's pretty rare (a couple times a year, maybe) that I get one before the end of the clue. :mrgreen:
I got tatties but I'm not sure where from. I did grow up with a Scots-Canadian grandma but I don't remember using or knowing it as a child. Hmm. Maybe just from random bits of British TV.
Also pre called Trevi and worried halfway through the clue when I realized I didn't actually know enough about it to be sure it was right, but figured it had to be. (A whole year I lived in Europe, married to a guy who had majored in Roman history, and we somehow never made it to Italy at all.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Paucle wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:My wife said Barbara Hershey, but I don't know enough about her to agree or not.
Well, not like that's something you have to know about someone before marrying them. ;)
OK, I had that one coming! :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

legendneverdies wrote:I suspect this show was taped before the recent Walter Mitty movie came out.
Probably, but the adverts had been going on for a couple months prior.

Plus the movie's been in development hell for years, Jim Carrey was headlining it for the longest time.

(I also have read the short story...but years ago.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:Jim Carrey was headlining it for the longest time.
If you said goodbye to me tonight / There would still be music left to write…
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I know it only one game and sometime a Jeopardy board can be a great equalizer to the best of players, but Julie Singer looks like the real deal (and I'm not talking about who she looks like). She had a handful of high clue value gets in completely different subjects.

So here is the prediction, when she loses it comes from being in first place and missing FJ. The only exception is if she happens to run into another buzzsaw type player, because she is one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sherm wrote:I know it only one game and sometime a Jeopardy board can be a great equalizer to the best of players, but Julie Singer looks like the real deal (and I'm not talking about who she looks like). She had a handful of high clue value gets in completely different subjects.

So here is the prediction, when she loses it comes from being in first place and missing FJ. The only exception is if she happens to run into another buzzsaw type player, because she is one.
My dad thought she might have a wheelhouse in European things, so these boards played to her advantage. I thought she was very good, but he was skeptical.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

She started slowly and missed an easy DD (scarlet fever; she said red fever) but she ended with a nice run. I like that she bet good sums on the DD's but I agree the boards were in her general wheelhouse.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I commented to my girlfriend last night that the boards might have been tilted to her wheelhouse categories.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Kingrat47 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
skullturf wrote: I don't know if I can name a single example of a famous Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Leander beat me to it, but the PM is also the Chancellor of the Exchequer (or at least was - was unaware of this and thought they still were, but a guess of a PM from a while back like Disraeli or Gladstone would be helpful to name a famous one if it comes up in, say, a TD or something.)
As you say, the offices used to be combined, when the PM sat in the Commons, but they are distinct offices. They haven't been combined since 1923. The Prime Minister is, however, always the First Lord of the Treasury, which may have led to your confusion.
Yup, that's it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012