Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6761, 2014-01-27

CONTESTANTS
Bill Hammon, a video editor and freelance writer from Bristol, Connecticut
Julie Singer, a French professor from St. Louis, Missouri
Chip Bell, a telecom engineer from Marysville, Ohio (whose 2-day cash winnings total $29,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. For you people who are watching today, the possibility of winning a fantastic trip to Machu Picchu. For our three contestants--the newcomers, Bill and Julie, and our champion, Chip--the possibility of winning a lot of cash. So good luck. Let's go to work. Here are the categories for the first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FINDING MY INNER SCOT (4/5)
WARS BY BATTLE (5/5)
THINGS THAT ARE YELLOW (5/5)
MOVIES & POLITICS (5/5)
WHAT A LITERARY CHARACTER! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"-LY" WORDS THAT AREN'T ADVERBS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julie: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Bill: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Chip: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bill found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Chip had $600, Julie had $600, and Bill was at $2,600. Bill wagered $1,600.

WHAT A LITERARY CHARACTER! $800: By first names, this title group is Alyosha, Ivan, Dmitri & Smerdyakov
(Bill: Got that monkey off my back!)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bill: $4,400
Julie: $2,000
Chip: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As soon as Johnny Gilbert introduced our first challenger on the program today, Bill Hammon, as a video editor from Bristol, Connecticut, I immediately thought, "ESPN", right?

Bill: I will confirm that, yes.

Alex: Okay. Which means, if you're a video editor, you're dealing with sports highlights all the time?

Bill: In--insanely amounts, yes.

Alex: Do you have to be a sports fan yourself In order to do well at that?

Bill: You don't have to be, but it certainly helps because you're in a collaborative environment with producers and production assistants who all have a pretty deep base knowledge.

Alex: And you're all in this dark, little room, with a--

Bill: No windows...

Alex: Yeah.

Bill: ...bags under our eyes--it's a thrill.

Alex: Ah-ha! Okay.

Alex: Julie Singer is a French professor, but one who specializes in Medieval French history?

Julie: Literature.

Alex: Literature.

Julie: Yes, sir.

Alex: Okay. I was in the South of France this past year, and I stayed in a Medieval castle. What's fascinating about the literature of that period? I didn't know there was that much of it.

Julie: Uh, what I find fascinating Is that what we think of as literature today--the big genres, like novels and--and plays--

Alex: They didn't exist.

Juliie: Really don't exist yet. So it's kind of anything goes. It's a free-for-all, and it's a lot of fun.

Alex: Romantic stories and tales and...

Julie: Romantic stories, bawdy jokes, and everything in-between.

Alex: Oh, hello. Okay. Thank you.

Alex: Chip Bell is our champion. He is from Ohio and his son--your 14-year-old son is in the audience today? And he's a little concerned about you, I hear?

Chip: Yeah, well, after I won a couple games, he's--he's not really proud of me yet, but he's a little bit less ashamed.

Alex: [Laughing] Oh. So he's leaning in your direction at long last.

Chip: Yes, finally.

Alex: Okay.

Chip: It only took 14 years.

Alex: Yeah, or--you're lucky. With mine, it took longer.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FINDING MY INNER SCOT $1000: Put on your wellies, your boots, & go outside & dig up some tatties, these; we'll need 'em fer tha party
(Alex: And I know my Scottish accent was not that good.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julie: $7,000
Bill: $5,400
Chip: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EUROPEAN FOUNTAINS (5/5)
THE NAME OF THE ROSE (5/5)
LOANWORDS BY LANGUAGE (4/5) (Alex: The language that gave English that particular word.)
I GOT A "FEVER" (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WOMEN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MISSPELLED BANDS (5/5) (Alex: Talking about music.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julie: 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Chip: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Bill: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julie snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Chip had $5,600, Julie had $11,800, and Bill was at $6,600. Julie wagered $4,000.

I GOT A "FEVER" $1600: Strawberry & raspberry tongue & a rash can accompany this disease chiefly affecting kids
(Alex: Julie?)
(Julie: My daughter's a little young for me to know this. What is... red fever?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Chip had $9,200, Julie had $11,000, and Bill was at $6,600. Julie wagered $3,000.

WOMEN $1600: The recordings she made with Arthur Schlesinger Jr. in March 1964 were finally made available to the public in 2011

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LOANWORDS BY LANGUAGE $2000: Ukase, a decree
(Bill: What is Greek?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julie: $26,000 (lock game)
Chip: $10,400
Bill: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Julie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Chip: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Bill: You've no hope of catching up... unless Chip does something stupid. So risk $4,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This office is named for a tablecloth imprinted with squares that was once used as an abacus

FINAL SCORES
Bill: $4,600 - $4,600 = $0 (What is Mankini) (3rd place)
Chip: $10,400 + $1,000 = $11,400 (What is the Office of the Exchequer?) (2nd place)
Julie: $26,000 + $4,000 = $30,000 (What is Chancellor of the Exchequer?) (New champion: $30,000)
(Alex: [To Bill] Who is "Mankini"?)
(Bill: Watch The Soup.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julie: $28,600, 28 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Chip: $10,400, 13 R, 0 W
Bill: $3,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Julie: 29/60 = .483
Bill: 16/59 = .271
Chip: 14/58 = .241
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THINGS THAT ARE YELLOW $200: The yellow daisy is more
commonly called this female
(Bill: What's a lily?)
(Julie: What is a marguerite?)

MOVIES & POLITICS $600: (Sarah of the Clue clue reports from the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.) Films like "The Three Caballeros" resulted from a goodwill tour that Walt & some artists took in the early 1940s, at FDR's request, to combat the spread of this ideology of Mussolini & Franco

WHAT A LITERARY CHARACTER! $600: This character "piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage & hate felt by his whole race"
(Julie: Who is Queequeg?)

"-LY" WORDS THAT AREN'T ADVERBS $600: This noun,
which the home team
pulled off in the bottom of the 6th

FINDING MY INNER SCOT $200: Hoot, mon! Bring over your best whisky; it's Hogmanay, this "auld" holiday
[Alex reads the clue, and every clue in the category, with a Scottish brogue.]

FINDING MY INNER SCOT $800: Don't peenge to me, this activity, or you'll get na haggis
(Bill: What is lie?)
(Alex: Say that again?)
(Bill: What is lie?)

I GOT A "FEVER" $400: Ahhh-choo! In New Mexico & Utah, Russian thistle is a major cause of this ailment
(Julie: What are allergies?)
(Alex: [Sighs] Nope.)
(Julie: What is [*]? Oh, sorry.)

EUROPEAN FOUNTAINS $800: A feature of Copenhagen's Tivoli Gardens is the fountain with bubbling tubes, codesigned by this physicist

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $400: Introduced in 1976
for the bicentennial,
The rose seen here is named "the stars 'n'" these

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $800: The popular mini-rose
seen here
Is called "gourmet" this "snack food"--hold the butter

I GOT A "FEVER" $2000: Found mainly in kids aged 5 to 15, it gets its name from one symptom, inflammation of the joints
(Bill: What is arthritic fever?)

WOMEN $400: In 2007 she became second in line to the U.S. presidency
(Julie: Who was Clinton?)

WOMEN $1200: Model, pop singer,
and First Lady of France have been among her jobs

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $1600: English roses include the one here,
named for a Scottish cap

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $2000: The name of this fragrant rose is the shortened version of a Syrian city's name

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Brothers Karamazov
potatoes
scarlet fever
Jacqueline Kennedy
Russian
the Chancellor of the Exchequer
a black-eyed Susan
fascism
(Captain) Ahab
a rally
New Year's Eve
complain
hayfever
(Niels) Bohr
the stars 'n stripes
popcorn
rheumatic fever
Nancy Pelosi
Carla Bruni
a tam o'shanter
damask
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The British Government
This office is named for a tablecloth imprinted with squares that was once used as an abacus.

Spoiler
What is Chancellor of the Exchequer? (or Office of the Exchequer, which Chip said) Bill said mankini. (a joke answer, "Watch The Soup" he said)
Julie Singer: $26,000+$4,000=$30,000...now a 1-day champion with $30,000
Chip Bell: $10,400+$1,000=$11,400
Bill Hammon: $4,600-$4,600=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Julie played a really nice game, well done.

In before TPH declares NHOI in FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought "black eyed Susan" was a bit tricky for $200.

No BMS on "Sheen"? Wow. I went 0/5 in that category. However, I almost guessed on Zach Galifianakis because he was the only bearded comedian I could think of, and I knew fascism but couldn't pull it in time.

Literary Characters was weird. The guy at $200 rang no bells, blanked on Ahab, and clammed on Karamazov out of fear of butchering it. Got Cratchit and Mitty, though.

NHO those WWII battles. Which is odd, since I knew Belleau Wood = WWI because of a Garth Brooks song, and my mental guesses on the next three were all correct even though I was too afraid to ring in.

0/5 in Scottish. I almost blurted out "New Year's Day" by mistake at $200, and saw no way to figure out baby, autumn, or complain. Those clues seemed insanely wide open. I almost said "son" at $400, figured any season could be foggy in Scotland, and thought that literally ''any'' verb could result in you getting "na haggis". (Including being the puppy sidekick of an earthworm in a space suit. My props to anyone who gets that reference.)

====

The gimmick of misspelling a word in Mispelled Bands was incredibly distracting as a TOM. At $400, I was wondering if some other band had released a song with the misspelling "All You Nead Is Love" to set it apart from the Beatles song, and staring at "Fue" was too distracting for me to even realize that I could tell you absolutely nothing about Mötley Crüe other than that they're a metal band.

However, I got Gorillaz because Todd in the Shadows included a clip of one of their videos in the context of something else, but since he didn't explicitly mention who it was, I had to ask someone else on TV Tropes.

Piccadilly Circus was overvalued at $1200.

Damask was my only miss in Roses.

====

I was extremely clammy today. There were twelve right answers that I swallowed, eight of which were in J!

No guess on FJ! Absolute NHOI.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Julie's very impressive!

I got FJ after thinking about it for about 5 seconds.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

When the European Fountains category was revealed, I thought to myself, "OK, let's see. There's the Trevi fountain in Rome, and, uh..."

I actually ran the category because there was enough tease-out information, even if I hadn't really heard of any of the specific fountains. Then I was very pleased when Trevi showed up at the bottom.

I got FJ pretty much by word association. For me, it was an example of the type of trivia question that I like to describe by saying "I think I know the answer, but I can't answer any follow-up questions." I don't know if I can name a single example of a famous Chancellor of the Exchequer. But I think it might be some kind of treasurer-like position? The words in the clue reminded me of checkerboards and counting, and that was enough.

My Coryat was high again today after a rusty few days.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I couldn't think of any British government offices other than that one and prime minister. I couldn't quite figure out in time how the clue led us to that office, but it was all I could think of so I went with it.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really enjoyed this board, though it was a little on the easy side.

I had no guess on FJ. I hate to admit it, but I don't think that I have ever heard of that office.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Was Alex crushing on Julie, or what?
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Julie's great. Can't wait to see where she goes from here, a very impressive debut.

The Mankini FJ answer is a fantastic Soup reference. Way to nearly guarantee yourself more screen time. The wagers were all good too, which was a nice change of pace.

Got FJ so at least I won't strike out this week. The boards were very good today.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote:
Spoiler
In before TPH declares NHOI in FJ.
Thanks a lot. Geez. Use spoiler tags next time.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bamaman wrote:I couldn't think of any British government offices other than that one and prime minister. I couldn't quite figure out in time how the clue led us to that office, but it was all I could think of so I went with it.
I knew FJ before Alex finished reading the clue, because I figured abacus > treasury > Exchequer. I'm guessing the tablecloth would have been checkered.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I couldn't think of any British government offices other than that one and prime minister. I couldn't quite figure out in time how the clue led us to that office, but it was all I could think of so I went with it.
I knew FJ before Alex finished reading the clue, because I figured abacus > treasury > Exchequer. I'm guessing the tablecloth would have been checkered.
Ditto.

Also, I'm guessing Rheumatoid Fever is not good enough for Rheumatic Fever?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

alietr wrote:Was Alex crushing on Julie, or what?
Written about 2005 from http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Definitive_G ... ayers_List
Julie Singer
A. Talented, also unbalanced. Watching her cruelly flirt with helpless, pathetic quizbowl males was a predictably dreary sight at tournaments of the late-90s.
Z. A player with immense natural gifts. Had mad depth on her subjects (art, Italian and French literature) as an undergrad and would occasionally lead the well-balanced Maryland teams in scoring, but had the propensity to melt down in some big games and was erratic. May still merit inclusion on the above list.
I think "unbalanced" here means either "inconsistent" or "not broadly based", but not crazy.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Julie was on the horns of a dilemma on the final clue. She had the lock, but loses it if Chip rings in correct. However, she retains the lock if she rings in and misses without Chip getting it, so it's worth the shot. In fact, she should try to get in first if she has any idea at all, because he doesn't need her miss to break the lock.
markmcsw
Contributor

Post by markmcsw »

Julie had a little of the Hilary Swank thing going on, and I don't mean from Boys Don't Cry.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

skullturf wrote:When the European Fountains category was revealed, I thought to myself, "OK, let's see. There's the Trevi fountain in Rome, and, uh..."

I actually ran the category because there was enough tease-out information, even if I hadn't really heard of any of the specific fountains. Then I was very pleased when Trevi showed up at the bottom.
Exact same thought on that category. When it didn't show up in the first couple rows, I thought it wasn't go to show up at all.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

skullturf wrote:I don't know if I can name a single example of a famous Chancellor of the Exchequer.
As it turns out, I can name a famous daughter of a former Chancellor of the Exchequer. (But I didn't know that until looking into it just now.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_Lawson
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

silverscreentest wrote:
alietr wrote:Was Alex crushing on Julie, or what?
Written about 2005 from http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Definitive_G ... ayers_List
Julie Singer
A. Talented, also unbalanced. Watching her cruelly flirt with helpless, pathetic quizbowl males was a predictably dreary sight at tournaments of the late-90s.
Z. A player with immense natural gifts. Had mad depth on her subjects (art, Italian and French literature) as an undergrad and would occasionally lead the well-balanced Maryland teams in scoring, but had the propensity to melt down in some big games and was erratic. May still merit inclusion on the above list.
I think "unbalanced" here means either "inconsistent" or "not broadly based", but not crazy.
http://www.naqt.com/game-show-appearances.jsp lists Julie Singer as being on Quiz Kids CHallenge in 1990, presumably being one of the kids. This was a syndicated game show hosted by Jonathan Prince(best known as a sitcom actor from the 80s syndicated show Throb) that aired that Fall, with three kids competing in Q&A against three adults. IIRC the kids stayed on all week but the adults changed each day. DOesn't say how much she won on that show, however.