Thursday, January 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6764, 2014-01-30

CONTESTANTS
Maura McKenna, a legal technology consultant from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Carolyn Collins, an education-program manager from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,800)
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst and voiceover artist from Broadview Heights, Ohio (whose 2-day cash winnings total $64,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. So far this week, we're on quite a roll here on Jeopardy! Our champions have managed to win over $120,000. Now, yesterday, Arthur could have risked a dollar more to be a sole returning champion today, but I guess he enjoyed competing against her because the two of them tied. Maura, you're in some
pretty heavy company today. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round begins with these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE TOP 40 A TO Z (5/5)
HEALTH & NUTRITION (5/5)
MISSING LINKS (5/5)
NEWSPAPERS (4/5)
BLACK & WHITE & READ (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ALL OVER (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Maura: 10 R, 0 W
Arthur: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Carolyn: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Arthur had $3,800, Carolyn had $1,200, and Maura was at $1,400. Arthur wagered $1,000.

BLACK & WHITE & READ $800: This author's 1936 novel "Black Spring", a bawdy tale of Paris, came between 2 more famous books
(Who is Hemingway?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Maura: $3,000
Arthur: $2,800
Carolyn: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Maybe we could talk a little bit about pro bono work. Maura Mckenna was recently honored as volunteer attorney of the year where?

Maura: That's right. By the Philadelphia chamber of commerce.

Alex: Because you do what?

Maura: As a litigator. And I share the award with my friend Keith Joseph. We represented a nonprofit puppet theater out in west Philadelphia in a landlord/tenant dispute that they had.

Alex: Did you win?

Maura: We got them a nice result, and that's all that matters.

[ laughing ] okay.

Alex: Carolyn Collins is an education program manager who works for the French embassy...

Carolyn: That's right.

Alex: ...here in the United States.

Carolyn: Yes.

Alex: Doing what exactly?

Carolyn: I manage a program for Americans to go to France to teach English for a year.

Alex: I imagine that's got to be a pretty popular program.

Carolyn: It's pretty popular. I did it myself a few years ago, and now I manage it.

Alex: Now, are we talking about high school students or college students?

Carolyn: Usually, people do it right out of college.

Alex: Yeah. And how long?

Carolyn: It's seven months, so it's a school year.

Alex: Yeah. Kind of neat.

Alex: All right, Arthur Chu is our champion. He's won a fair amount of money so far, and he already knows how he's going to spend some of that money --doing pro bono work particularly in what area?

Arthur: Well, I wanted to donate some money to fibromyalgia research 'cause my wife is a sufferer. It's a condition that, you know, doesn't get a lot of press, but...

Alex: Constant pain?

Arthur: Yeah, pain and fatigue. And it affects a lot of people, so...

Alex: All right, good for you. You're gonna be helping out a lot of people.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEWSPAPERS $800: Publishers watch sales figures via AAM, the alliance for audited media, formerly ABC, the audit bureau of these
(Carolyn: What are communications?)

ALL OVER $400: Devils Tower National Monument & Medicine Bow National Forest are in this state

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Arthur: $6,000
Maura: $5,600
Carolyn: $2,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
KINGS OF ENGLAND NOT BORN IN ENGLAND (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NFL STADIUMS (3/5)
INVENTORS & INVENTIONS (5/5)
HEY, "PAL" (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MATH PROBLEMS (2/5)
CAN'T STOP MESSIN' WITH TEXAS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 15 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Maura: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Carolyn: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Arthur had $12,800, Carolyn had $2,000, and Maura was at $6,400. Arthur wagered $3,000.

HEY, "PAL" $1600: This U. S. Church is in communion with the See of Canterbury

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Arthur had $20,200, Carolyn had $2,800, and Maura was at $6,800. Arthur wagered $1,000.

KINGS OF ENGLAND NOT BORN IN ENGLAND $1200: Born in Hanover, Germany in 1660, he was 54 when he took the English throne in 1714

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MATH PROBLEMS $1600: After spending $200 at the store, Eric has 20% of his money left, meaning he started with this total
(Arthur: What is $1000?)
(Maura: What is...?)

NFL STADIUMS $1600: The gymnastics events for the 1996 Olympics were held in this stadium, also home to the Atlanta falcons

HEY, "PAL" $2000: A potter uses this wooden shovel-like tool to mix & shape clay

MATH PROBLEMS $1200: Matt served the calendar years 2009 through 2013 in prison, so he marked off this many first days of the month
(Maura: What is 49?)
(Carolyn: What is 48?)

MATH PROBLEMS $2000: The office measures 10 feet by 18 feet; to carpet the whole thing will cost this much at $10 a square yard
(Maura: What is 1800?)
(Arthur: What is 18,000?)
(Alex: What is [*]. There are 9 square feet in a yard. Remember that.)
(Arthur: Ohhh.)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go. Yes. "Oh." That's how we catch you
on math problems.)

NFL STADIUMS $2000: Naturally, the Lions play at this Detroit field

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $20,800 (lock game)
Maura: $7,200
Carolyn: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMEDIC ACTRESSES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Arthur: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Maura: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,599 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Carolyn: You've no hope of catching up... unless Maura does something stupid. So risk $2,799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She's won Emmys for 3 different TV shows & in 2013 she broke Lucille Ball's record for most nominations by a comedic actress

FINAL SCORES
Carolyn: $2,800 - $2,800 = $0 (Who is Tina Fey?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Maura: $7,200 + $1,599 = $8,799 (Who is Julia Louis Dreyfus) (2nd place: $2,000)
Arthur: $20,800 - $2,000 = $18,800 (Who is Mary Tyler Moore) (3-day champion: $82,800)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $20,600, 26 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Maura: $7,200, 17 R, 3 W
Carolyn: $2,800, 8 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 26/61 = .426
Maura: 18/58 = .310
Carolyn: 8/58 = .138
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALL OVER $800: Islamic extremists
and French troops
have recently battled in this country

HEALTH & NUTRITION $400: (New York food writer Mark Bittman presents the clue.) You can eat steak & good cheese, but you have to save them for the evening with the program I call VB6, short for this "before 6:00"

BLACK & WHITE & READ $200: Dostoyevsky's short story "White Nights" is a romance set in this capital under the czars
(Carolyn: What is Moscow?)

CAN'T STOP MESSIN' WITH TEXAS $400: Offering 360-degree views, the 50-story Reunion Tower is south of Dealey Plaza in this city
(Carolyn: What is Houston?)

NFL STADIUMS $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Raymond James Stadium is the home of this team that started out
with a winless season in 1976,
but won the Super Bowl, held in 2003

CORRECT RESPONSES
Henry Miller
circulations
Wyoming
Episcopal
George I
$250
the Georgia Dome
pallet
$200
Ford Field
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Mali
vegan
St. Petersburg
Dallas
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Comedic Actresses
She's won Emmys for 3 different TV shows & in 2013 she broke Lucille Ball's record for most nominations by a comedic actress.

SpoilerShow
Who is Julia Louis-Dreyfus? Carolyn said Tina Fey; Arthur said Mary Tyler Moore.

Arthur Chu: $20,800-$2,000=$18,800...now a 3-day champion with $82,800
Maura McKenna: $7,200+$1,599=$8,799
Carolyn Collins: $2,800-$2,800=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Love that when explaining the FJ answer, Trebek forgot the third show and had to look down at his card. Was his pause longer before the edit?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:29 pm

4/5 in Newspapers. $800 was a stupid, STUPID miss. "Well, circulation sounds like it fits, but it's not a 'these', so it must be something else." I never would've thought that I was one "S" away from the right answer. Derp.

Saw no way to figure out "[vegan] before 6". Clammed on LDL (seems I only ever clam on coin flips when I'm right) and amino acid, so that clue really stuck out to me.

Never heard of "power lifting", keeping me at 4/5 in Missing Links.

Heard of Steve Miller and George Michael, but not of those songs. I actually knew the next two straight-up, and have NHO the Cranberries or that song, but guessed on a Z word relating to the undead and nailed it.

0/5 in both "All Over" and "Black and White".

Looking at the pan coming out of J! — is there a new column of gridwork at center stage, or have I just never noticed it before?

====

Kings of England, Stadiums, and Math? Bite me, writers.

Should I know the name of that Segway guy? That seemed wide open.

That DD in "Pal" is a humiliating miss for me. I play in a combined Episcopal/Lutheran church, but racked my brains trying to find a church with "Pal" in its name and came up empty. It's amazing how easy it is to overlook the obvious, but it makes me feel like a drooling moron just the same.

Palooka seemed tough.

After botching both $1600 and $400 in Math (although I did rewind to see where I screwed up), I still tried to claw away at $800. But I still see no way to shortcut it. At 6 MPH, it takes him how long to jog 1.5 miles? Hell if I know.

Oddly, $1600 was my only get in Texas.

Lach Trash on Ford to keep me from skunking NFL Stadiums. I'll take it.

====

No guess on FJ! Never heard of Veep (more !@*$@#ing HBO shows — stop it already, writers!), but I have heard of JLD at least.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:31 pm

Let's see the Internet criticize Arthur's FJ wager today. :mrgreen:
アタックチャンス!

Golf

Post by Golf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:34 pm

As for yesterday's episode
SpoilerShow
perhaps Arthur knew she wasn't that good a player and that's exactly why he offered the tie

So naturally after watching both his episodes, the lady on the end made a FJ wager that gives her zero chance to win. Please note that under most circumstances her wager would have been acceptable.

But one of today's categories did show something, no wonder most contestants have no clue on how to wager, they can't do simple math! (that's mostly a joke son)

Enjoy seeing the good play and strategy Arthur.

TenPoundHammer wrote:Kings of England, Stadiums, and Math? Bite me, writers.
I'll take "stuff I should have learned in high school" for $200 Alex.
Last edited by Golf on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esrever

Post by esrever » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Congrats Arthur on your third win! Very impressive once again! I thought Carolyn would be more competitive, since she had a strong game yesterday.

Picked up Lach trash on "Circulations"

Got FJ.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:But I still see no way to shortcut it. At 6 MPH, it takes him how long to jog 1.5 miles? Hell if I know.
That's just noticing that 1.5 is 1/4 of 6.

And that's why you offer the tie.

everestian
Contributor

Post by everestian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:41 pm

Holy mackerel, Arthur's a strong player. Pretty good show by him again. I suppose there will be criticism about his wagering but I really do like how he searches aggressively for the DDs. Unfortunately, that's a double-edged sword for him because while he can sweep categories, he seems to mess up on certain DDs. A DD almost destroyed his game yesterday, and today a DD set him back (but this time, not by too much).

Got the Lach trash on that DD though, which was Henry Miller. Tropic of Cancer! Parisian debauchery! Modern literature! Woo!

Did okay this time around. In the J! round, I 5/5'd Top 40 A-Z because I did a Sporcle quiz on Top 40 Hits last night! Coincidence? Or Jeopardy writers invading my mind? You decide.
4/5'd two categories, including All Over, which is a relief because geography is one of my weaker suits.

Did not do so hot on the DJ! round, as I only 4/5'd Inventors & Inventions and the two other categories that had ridiculously long titles (I keep track of my score by writing the category abbreviations, which I guess is helpful for future reference but not immediately after reviewing my game). But there is some hope yet, as I got two sports questions right! I was fearful that I would have gotten 0/5 in the category, so I suppose it means I will be able to build on my minimal sports knowledge.

Totally bombed the FJ! though. Julia Louis-Dreyfus? UGH. I should have known. I guessed Betty White because she's famous for her longevity as a funny actress, and they always compare her to Lucille Ball anyway. She also was nominated for shows such as Hot in Cleveland so I just used that as my rationale. Besides, I never was a big fan of Seinfeld.

Final verdict:
22/30 in the J! round
20/30 in the DJ! round

Keep it up, Arthur! I'm hoping to see him in the ToC!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:52 pm

If it matters any, JLD passed Lucille Ball, 14-13, when you count lead and supporting only. If you count nominations for a guest actress, Betty White zooms up to 16 and the lead.

ACW

Post by ACW » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Um, goof? They didn't give Carolyn a chance on the first math one (the $1600 I think). Anyway, got all of math except the last one (used 3 feet in a yard; forgot to square it :oops: ). Swept NFL stadiums :D

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:54 pm

ACW wrote:Um, goof? They didn't give Carolyn a chance on the first math one (the $1600 I think).
It look like she was fumbling on it and clearly nowhere near the right answer, so they just edited some of her fumbling.
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:But I still see no way to shortcut it. At 6 MPH, it takes him how long to jog 1.5 miles? Hell if I know.
That's just noticing that 1.5 is 1/4 of 6.
Duh. I was trying to go "okay, six miles per hour is… um, how many miles per minute?" and didn't even get to 1/10 of a mile before the answer was given. If there is a wrong way to do a math problem, I'll find it.

$400 and $1600 I might've gotten in time, but I misread them both and came up with a wrong answer. After that, and fumbling with the miles per hour one, I just admitted defeat and didn't even try on the last two. I should just stay clam the next time a math category comes up, because I'm clearly not of the right mind for it.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Arthur is a lot of fun to watch. Congrats on the third win!

I usually do well on J! math categories, but holy crap that one got the better of me. I went 0/5. The clues weren't really so much hard; it was just that I wasn't going to get them in 5 seconds.

I liked this board, but I didn't do nearly as well as I did last night. I am happy that I knew the "Henry Miller" DD, though.

I also said Tina Fey on FJ. I was thinking that the correct response would be someone who has been around at least a little bit longer, and that turned out to be the case.

naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:13 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:have NHO the Cranberries or that song, but guessed on a Z word relating to the undead and nailed it.
Woohoo! That's the strategy I'm talking about. Now go listen to Cranberries, please.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Saw no way to figure out "[vegan] before 6"
Um. Wait. If you can't eat meat or dairy until after six... that sounds like vegan before six.

Zhankfor
Valued Contributor

Post by Zhankfor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:23 pm

I said 600 for the $2000 math clue: made the first step of 3 feet in a yard (so 1/3 of 1800), but forgot the next step of 3x3 feet in a square yard (so 1/3 of 1/3 of 1800). That confident neg put me well below my season average.
http://www.threeroadstrivia.com - Analysis of a J! clue every M-W-F. Come tell me what I missed!
Recent Categories: Vaccines, Zodiac Constellations, Women Authors, Chemical Element Pairs, CNN World Languages, The Spanish-American War

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:30 pm

I spent 30 seconds trying to remember Patricia Heaton's name and wound up scribbling down Moore just to have something.

I got Episcopal not from thinking of a church with pal in it but by knowing that it is related to the Anglican Church. Go figure.

I was hoping the lady on the end would be able to catch up on the stadiums at the end to see how the wagers went. But that would have doomed Arthur so I guess its for the best.

Congrats on the win, but he'll still need to win two more to make the TOC.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:30 pm

naurae29 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:have NHO the Cranberries or that song, but guessed on a Z word relating to the undead and nailed it.
Woohoo! That's the strategy I'm talking about. Now go listen to Cranberries, please.
Sure. Let me get over my neophobia long enough to listen to Daft Punk's "Get Lucky", which I've had about six people recommend to me, first.
naurae29 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Saw no way to figure out "[vegan] before 6"
Um. Wait. If you can't eat meat or dairy until after six... that sounds like vegan before six.
I know what vegan means, but the meat and dairy connection just didn't register at all when he said it.

See, that's how bad at math I am. I can't even put two and two together! :lol:
Bamaman wrote:I got Episcopal not from thinking of a church with pal in it but by knowing that it is related to the Anglican Church. Go figure.
I will never hear the end of missing this one.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Instaget FJ here.

Doing math fast under pressure? Not for me.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:49 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:If it matters any, JLD passed Lucille Ball, 14-13, when you count lead and supporting only. If you count nominations for a guest actress, Betty White zooms up to 16 and the lead.
Yeah, that clue was bad and anyone who said Betty White should absolutely count it as correct. Nothing in the clue gave any indication that nominations for guest actress in a comedy would be excluded. Betty White actually won for 4 different shows, and does indeed have 16 Emmy nominations as a comedic actress. Terrible job by whoever wrote and/or researched this clue.