Thursday, January 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

scaphio
Contributor

Re: Thursday, January 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by scaphio »

econgator wrote:Even if I did learn about them in HS, there's only 6 of them that would still be the same stadium and only two of those (Lambeau Field and the Superdome) are still called the same thing.
What about Soldier Field and Arrowhead Stadium? They're older than the Superdome (which is now Mercedes-Benz Superdome anyway).
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

scaphio wrote:
econgator wrote:Even if I did learn about them in HS, there's only 6 of them that would still be the same stadium and only two of those (Lambeau Field and the Superdome) are still called the same thing.
What about Soldier Field and Arrowhead Stadium? They're older than the Superdome (which is now Mercedes-Benz Superdome anyway).
And Candlestick Park, which was called 3com park and San Francisco Stadium at Candlestick Point and Monster Park, too, over the years. When do we say it (will have) stopped being an NFL stadium?
OCSam
Lars
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Lars »

I continue to be amazed at Arthur's success. He seems to have prepared extensively for the games (and said as much in a prior posting). Very interesting that his Daily Double hunting (and finding) has not worked out really well for him (he's lost a number of them), except in keeping them away from his opponents!

Hope Arthur did not end up with carpel tunnel syndrome with all the button pushing going on. His lack of timing hasn't affected him so far, as he's known a lot more answers than his challengers. I hope it doesn't cost him later on; there was one question in tonight's show where he hit the buzzer about a dozen times in a second or two but was locked out, while Carolyn timed her one press well and got in. If Arthur get the rhythm of ringing in on top of his knowledge, he'll be very, very tough to beat.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

dhkendall wrote:I doubt you learned Kings of England in high school (I'm pretty sure I didn't, and we live in a country governed by the English royal family (on paper anyways)) and I'm *positive* you didn't learn about stadiums in high school. (Wait, I've seen the insane lengths you Americans go to with your high school and college football, and giving people a pass just because they're on the team. I take back that "*positive*" part.)
Hey, I never said I learned stadiums in class. Just in high school. :lol:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Lars wrote:I continue to be amazed at Arthur's success. He seems to have prepared extensively for the games (and said as much in a prior posting). Very interesting that his Daily Double hunting (and finding) has not worked out really well for him (he's lost a number of them), except in keeping them away from his opponents!

Hope Arthur did not end up with carpel tunnel syndrome with all the button pushing going on. His lack of timing hasn't affected him so far, as he's known a lot more answers than his challengers. I hope it doesn't cost him later on; there was one question in tonight's show where he hit the buzzer about a dozen times in a second or two but was locked out, while Carolyn timed her one press well and got in. If Arthur get the rhythm of ringing in on top of his knowledge, he'll be very, very tough to beat.
Indeed, pleased that he is the poster boy of everything the board says you should do (and a bit pissed since I wanted to do that as well, as I remembered all the same tricks, now I'll look like I'm copying him!)

My only peeve about a habit that he didn't take from the board (or didn't see when he found us before taping) was that he still called out categories often in full name, or at least he did a few times. The "Kings of England not Born in England" should never be called anything more than "Kings of England" or, ideally, "Kings" when calling for a clue, speeds the game up (if Arthur could speed it up any faster!) In fact, I like (Michael Dupee?)'s suggestion of shortening a category name to the part that could be confusing for your opponents - for example "Monarchies of Europe" should be shortened to just "Monarchies" so as to not keep reminding your opponents that each response will be a European country (perhaps tricking them into buzzing in with a non-European monarchy) or, if Europe is explicitly mentioned in the clues, calling it only "Europe", tricking them into buzzing in with a non-monarchy.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

StevenH wrote:Arthur is a lot of fun to watch. Congrats on the third win!

I usually do well on J! math categories, but holy crap that one got the better of me. I went 0/5. The clues weren't really so much hard; it was just that I wasn't going to get them in 5 seconds.
This, not simply 'Because math is hard', is why math doesn't work as a category during the first two rounds. By the time you've digested the 'story problem' clue format(I always hated those in school), while still trying to focus on the show's basics 'remembering to ring in and answer', there's no time to spit out a correct answer. With FJ!, if the clue avoids mentioning 'character names' in the problem(Who gives a damn what the names of the kids who have the apples are, anyway?), then the contestants might have about 10-15 seconds to think, and the rest to write down the answer in its entirety.
'Story problems' just remind people of things they'd rather be doing instead of reading story problems. :mrgreen:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Leaper wrote:And am I the only one who thought that just "tape" shouldn't have been accepted for "Scotch tape"? (Ironic, considering one of my major past complaints for acceptances I don't think should've been was "Dreyfus" for "Julia Louis-Dreyfus".)
Probably. But 'adhesive" was in the clue, as was the Scotch brand's company name.

It is usually safe to assume that the invention was made for the company's own brand of adhesive tape (it was never intended to be used for other types of tape (Scotch or any other brand)), but it obviously has not been used for only that brand.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just said tape for that clue, but had Scotch as a backup in case of a BMS.
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Actually, IIRC the contestant coordinators specifically request that the FIRST time you name a category you use the full name of the category, and only shorten it up when you return to it thereafter. According to them this makes it "easier to follow" for the Viewers at Home.

This seems to me to be something that would only be true if people were taking all the clues from a single category "in order", and I had no intention of doing that, but who am I to argue with Jeopardy tradition? So yes, that's why I yammered out "KingsofEnglandwhoweren'tborninEngland" in one breath (as if the Viewers at Home didn't already hate me enough).

(And yes, there are literally tens -- TENS!!! -- of Viewers at Home who want my blood for making the game unpleasant to watch on TV. My reply to this has consistently been, "You do realize I was playing for actual money, right?")
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Actually in response to the Twitter haters one of my friends made this and I'm too tickled by it not to post it even if it makes me come off as an ass

davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote: In fact, I like (Michael Dupee?)'s suggestion of shortening a category name to the part that could be confusing for your opponents - for example "Monarchies of Europe" should be shortened to just "Monarchies" so as to not keep reminding your opponents that each response will be a European country (perhaps tricking them into buzzing in with a non-European monarchy) or, if Europe is explicitly mentioned in the clues, calling it only "Europe", tricking them into buzzing in with a non-monarchy.
Is that likely to work? After all, the contestants have the category name in front of them at all times, unlike us at home...
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

For OrangeSAM: Candlestick Park technically stopped being an NFL stadium after Seattle beat New Orleans in the divisional playoffs a few weeks ago (the two wild cards in the NFC would have had to get to the championship game & San Francisco had the higher seed.) :lol:
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Leaper wrote:And am I the only one who thought that just "tape" shouldn't have been accepted for "Scotch tape"? (Ironic, considering one of my major past complaints for acceptances I don't think should've been was "Dreyfus" for "Julia Louis-Dreyfus".)
I thought so too, but thinking that it should be the generic name "adhesive," rather than the brand name, "Scotch." I also wasn't sure if "Q-tip" should have been accepted since it is a brand name, the actual product is a cotton swab.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

WJMorris3 wrote:If it matters any, JLD passed Lucille Ball, 14-13, when you count lead and supporting only. If you count nominations for a guest actress, Betty White zooms up to 16 and the lead.
I don't feel so bad on my Betty White response now. This stuff in general is not my strength, but Betty White is the definition of actresses and comedy. ;)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leaper wrote:And am I the only one who thought that just "tape" shouldn't have been accepted for "Scotch tape"?
Scotch Tape is a brand name, right? So that would be like saying if someone answered "What kind of vehicle is a Mustang?" and they said "car" you'd neg them and say "sorry, no, it's a Ford car."

Got Louis-Dreyfus for FJ but based on the discussion here it does seem like a very good case could be made for Betty White being acceptable.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

davey wrote:
dhkendall wrote: In fact, I like (Michael Dupee?)'s suggestion of shortening a category name to the part that could be confusing for your opponents - for example "Monarchies of Europe" should be shortened to just "Monarchies" so as to not keep reminding your opponents that each response will be a European country (perhaps tricking them into buzzing in with a non-European monarchy) or, if Europe is explicitly mentioned in the clues, calling it only "Europe", tricking them into buzzing in with a non-monarchy.
Is that likely to work? After all, the contestants have the category name in front of them at all times, unlike us at home...
I tried this at my audition and it totally worked. While I was looking at the category (Crossword Clues "V"), my would-be competitors weren't focusing on any particular category name. I called it "Crossword Clues" and - sure enough - someone rang with with an answer that didn't start with "V". The theory is that it's unlikely a competitor will find the category name and read that while she's also trying to read along with the clue.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Excellent point about Dreyfus being insufficient for her last name. Totally missed that! And it's a pet peeve of mine.
But then again, they accept "Webber" as correct for Andrew Lloyd Webber, don't they?
Leander

Post by Leander »

Paucle wrote:Excellent point about Dreyfus being insufficient for her last name. Totally missed that! And it's a pet peeve of mine.
But then again, they accept "Webber" as correct for Andrew Lloyd Webber, don't they?
Louis-Dreyfus is a hyphenated last name. I suspect "Lloyd" is just a middle name he chooses to use to distinguish himself.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

I hereby register my displeasure of A.T.'s deprecating remark to Carolyn re her answer of Tigres (Oh you picked the right one), implying that she didn't actually KNOW the answer. 2 cents
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

^^Yeah, same here, but I'm sure it was more Alex's observation that the Tigris and Euphrates are often interchanged rather than commentary on Carolyn's knowledge (or lack thereof).