Friday, January 31, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Friday, January 31, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

Rex Kramer wrote:Very dismaying to see how few Boardies actually knew the answer to FJ. It means nobody here is reading my blog! Last summer I wrote about Otis's demonstration, which was even more dramatic than FJ made it seem:

http://figuringoutfulfillment.wordpress ... f-careers/

I do try to include something of trivial interest every 2 or 3 posts.

More importantly: Great job, Arthur, coming alive in DJ! to rack up all those points against two tough challengers.

Rex
That was really interesting, Rex. Thanks for sharing the link.

After watching this show, I suddenly want to put Kate and Leopold in my Netflix queue. Then I'll watch that episode of LOST where Hurley and Charlie are careening around the Island listening to "Shambala."
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked and I just missed it, but do they always film everything in sequence? Arthur, how many weeks were there between your first filming day and your second?
For the first question: 1/21 was filming for the 1990s BOTD to air 3/3 - 3/7. 1/22 was filming for the 2000s BOTD to air 3/31 - 4/4. The games to air 3/10 - 3/28 were taped earlier than 1/21 would be my guess.

For Arthur we could have seen Tuesday taped games this week and his 2/24 return could be Wednesday taped games one day later? Or Arthur can tell us himself how his schedule worked.
The 1980s games taped December 17.

My TOC (2004) aired in September, but taped in April. To that point, KJ had won 48 games, but none had yet aired (he debuted June 2). Our tournament went on after his 48th televised win.

The five-month break was brutal, especially with my situation as wild card #5.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Budphrey wrote: The name Shangri-La is an obvious corruption of Shambhala, the name of a legendary Tibetan paradise, even though James Hilton apparently never stated that for the record.
Read the book (well, read the "Reader's Digest Condensed" version of the book -- do they even publish those anymore? -- anyway), but did not know that those two terms were related. Thanks for adding that.

I only knew the term Shambala as being the name of the lion sanctuary run by Tippi Hedren (Minnesotan!).

Didn't know what all the TDN references were about so gave it a listen on YouTube (thinking NHOI). As happens with many songs of the 70's, I found I could sing nearly all the lyrics but would never have been able to name either title or artist (radio days).
Last edited by jkbrat on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Rex Kramer wrote:Very dismaying to see how few Boardies actually knew the answer to FJ. It means nobody here is reading my blog! Last summer I wrote about Otis's demonstration, which was even more dramatic than FJ made it seem:

http://figuringoutfulfillment.wordpress ... f-careers/

I do try to include something of trivial interest every 2 or 3 posts.

More importantly: Great job, Arthur, coming alive in DJ! to rack up all those points against two tough challengers.

Rex
Hopefully the clue writers are reading your blog, it's good stuff.

For FJ I went with Gatling.
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

ArthurChu wrote:I may be biased but I thought it should've been clear the point of the routine I wrote was to mock myself from the beginning, including adopting the intentionally grating persona of a self-obsessed braggart. I guess ironically being a jerk doesn't play well with people predisposed to hate you though.
Problem is that irony is tough to pull off unless you've got a lot of context. And they don't in that case.

Don't sweat it too much.

This whole past week or so has made me wonder where they were stashing this pool of contestants the rest of the season. Even the people who have been ending up in third, like Don on this show, have typically shown us something.

I don't know if we are to assume that some people watch these shows backwards and thus a reference to previous games is a spoiler, but in case it is:
Spoiler
I had that in mind when I thought about your decision to offer Carolyn a tie, wondering if it was because you figured that another game with her was preferable to facing a random unknown challenger. Except that you offered the same proposition to Julie and as someone who's faced her in a similar setting I can definitely say that if lots of money was on the line I'd take my chances with the unknown challenger. And now done the same with Tarn, who I think would be better than a random unknown contestant even before you consider the game of experience.
Yes, there's gas in the car.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

AFTER THE WHITE HOUSE $800
In 1841 he successfully argued for the freedom of the slave mutineers of the Amistad before the Supreme Court

I had the (figurative) button pushed at 1841, then had to make an extremely quick adjustment upon registering "Amistad". Clue didn't require date reference and, IMO, would have been better without it.

And "this area paired with Newfoundland" for $1600? Kids' Week for $400 maybe.

Boards were good to me -- ran 4 categories in DJ, and only 1 ring-in error ("Labor's", although technically it is spelled that way [absent the asterisk {sic}] on the title page of the first quarto. If the goal is to write clues that are controversy-resistant, I really don't see the logic behind the decision to pair a spelling category with works written before spelling standardization.)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Budphrey wrote:By the way, the song "Shambhala" was written not by TDN but by the late, lamented Texas music hero B.W. Stevenson, obviously during a time when rhapsodizing within the borders of the Republic of Texas about some far-off commie paradise was not grounds for immediate forcible derportation to New Mexico.
B.W. also sang "My Maria" before Brooks & Dunn did. I was surprised to hear B.W.'s version of "My Maria" in a shopping mall once.
That makes sense. Both songs are on this 1973 compilation CD I bought years ago and are really similar to the point of being tough to tell apart until people start singing. TDN typically didn't write their own songs, or at least not their own hits.

"Mama Told Me Not To Come" is by Randy Newman. "Joy To The World" is Hoyt Axton. "One (Is The Loneliest Number)" is Harry Nilsson.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Kid Charlemagne wrote: That makes sense. Both songs are on this 1973 compilation CD I bought years ago and are really similar to the point of being tough to tell apart until people start singing. TDN typically didn't write their own songs, or at least not their own hits.

"Mama Told Me Not To Come" is by Randy Newman. "Joy To The World" is Hoyt Axton. "One (Is The Loneliest Number)" is Harry Nilsson.
Sure As I'm Sittin Here from 1973 was John Hiatt's first top 40 hit as a writer, 15 years before most people knew his name.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Vermonter wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked and I just missed it, but do they always film everything in sequence? Arthur, how many weeks were there between your first filming day and your second?
For the first question: 1/21 was filming for the 1990s BOTD to air 3/3 - 3/7. 1/22 was filming for the 2000s BOTD to air 3/31 - 4/4. The games to air 3/10 - 3/28 were taped earlier than 1/21 would be my guess.

For Arthur we could have seen Tuesday taped games this week and his 2/24 return could be Wednesday taped games one day later? Or Arthur can tell us himself how his schedule worked.
The week of January 27-31 would, I believe, have taped on Wednesday, November 13 because I was there on Wednesday the 6th and then Tuesday the 12th.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

sarah0114 wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

The week of January 27-31 would, I believe, have taped on Wednesday, November 13 because I was there on Wednesday the 6th and then Tuesday the 12th.
Wed. Nov. 6: Jan. 13 - 17 air
Tu. Nov. 12: Jan. 20 - 24 air
Wed. Nov. 13: Jan. 27 - 31 air

Possible taping days on a Tu/We schedule:

Tu. Nov. 19
We. Nov. 20
Tu. Dec. 3
We. Dec. 4
Tu. Dec. 10
We. Dec. 11
Tu. Dec. 17 - BOTD 1980s
We. Dec. 18?

My guess would be Nov. 25 week out for Thanksgiving.

For the original question games are aired in a different order than when they are filmed with special games taken into account. When Alex opens the show on Feb. 24 to welcome back Arthur the host may comment about the BOTD even though it had not taped yet at that point.

This article has a story about a contestant who taped in December and will air on April 9: http://www.candgnews.com/node/71556
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

For the record this week was taped on Wednesday. I flew back to Cleveland after this game and had some downtime to get ready for the next game (and hopefully the games after that) the following Tuesday, which I sorely needed.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lars wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:But it is probably a moot point, because even if Arthur loses Monday there is plenty of time for more five time champs to come along.
I don't mean to spoil things for you, but I happen to know that Arthur does NOT win this Monday. Don't conclude too much from that. I didn't necessarily say he loses. You know how he bets in FJ. :D
Could it be because Arthur doesn't appear on Monday, thanks to the "Decades" tournament?!
I've said too much already.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Seeing Bright Angel Trail pop up put smiles on the faces of me and Mrs. OS. We've been to Bright Angel Creek four times, though not by way of Bright Angel Trail. Hopefully, there'll be another visit in the next couple of years.
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:Even in 1854?
I was wondering, too, but apparently, yes.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Elevator.html

I figured rope was fine for the demo, as who's going to take the time and effort to saw through a cable. It's the stopping that's the important part, not how it was held up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, do they never BMS on Johnson anymore?
Presidents named Johnson => no BMS
Presidents named Kennedy => BMS
Female Senators named Clinton => BMS

Brian
Thanks for pointing out one of the three reasons why I hate BMSes. The other two, of course, are "BMSing when the answer they actually want is actually a totally different word that's only vaguely synonymous" (e.g., eclipse/occlude) and "seemingly 98 out of 100 BMSes being met with a deer in the headlights stare".

Actually, that might be a combined reason, as the former often leads to the latter.
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

It'll be fun to watch the Battle of the Decades, just to see what happens, but I'm going to miss Arthur a little bit. I'm over him beating a (distant) friend.

For some reason, my local station is giving me Paul Nelson episodes from late 2012 on Saturdays. They also make me miss not only Arthur but everyone else I have been seeing on the show this week.
Joy
Contributor

Post by Joy »

legendneverdies wrote:
Kid Charlemagne wrote: That makes sense. Both songs are on this 1973 compilation CD I bought years ago and are really similar to the point of being tough to tell apart until people start singing. TDN typically didn't write their own songs, or at least not their own hits.

Sure As I'm Sittin Here from 1973 was John Hiatt's first top 40 hit as a writer, 15 years before most people knew his name.
"Eli's Coming" by Three Dog Night was written by Laura Nyro, "Liar" was written by Russ Ballard, "An Old Fashioned Love Song" was written by Paul Williams, "Never Been To Spain" was written by Hoyt Axton, and "Pieces of April" and "Til The World Ends" were written by Dave Loggins. Three Dog Night certainly had a lot of hits with songs from other songwriters, many of them well-known. I like the songs of Three Dog Night even though they were hits way before my birth: I'm only 25.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Another interesting one I found is that Ke$ha's mother, Pebe Sebert, who writes many of her songs, also wrote "Old Flames Can't Hold a Candle to You" in the late 70s. Originally cut by Joe Sun and Brian Collins, later a hit for Dolly Parton.
Joy
Contributor

Post by Joy »

This was my best game ever: 47 clues correct (but I've only been tracking the games for a year). I instantly got FJ because I've heard this safety-brake story very recently (within the last month) and also I've ridden in numerous Otis elevators.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Budphrey wrote:By the way, the song "Shambhala" was written not by TDN but by the late, lamented Texas music hero B.W. Stevenson, obviously during a time when rhapsodizing within the borders of the Republic of Texas about some far-off commie paradise was not grounds for immediate forcible derportation to New Mexico.
B.W. also sang "My Maria" before Brooks & Dunn did. I was surprised to hear B.W.'s version of "My Maria" in a shopping mall once.
Country music and malls. Please tell me you were there to purchase "My Little Pony" merchandise.