Wednesday, February 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6768, 2014-02-05

Battle of the Decades: Battle of the 1980s game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Leslie Shannon, a strategic market analyst from Espoo, Finland
Tom Nosek, an aerospace consultant from Torrance, California
Richard Cordray, a head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau from Grove City, Ohio and Washington, D.C.

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. A degree from M.I.T. was a big help to Leszek Pawlowicz on yesterday's program in dealing with a category that had to do with science. Who will be favored by today's categories? Will it be Leslie, Tom, or Richard? Good seeing you again. Here we go --Jeopardy! Round. And these categories. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WE LOVE PLANET EARTH (3/5)
IN THE CITY'S NEWSPAPER (5/5) (Alex: We want you to name the city as we deal with...)
SAINTS PRESERVE US! (3/5)
"F"IVE-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
2 FIRST NAMES (3/5)
LIKE HENRY JAMES? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Leslie: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Richard: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Tom: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Leslie: $2,800
Richard: $400
Tom: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Leslie Shannon says that she owes her entire career to Jeopardy! and it happened because of an article in the Wall Street Journal?

Leslie: That's right. That's right. I got lucky and bumped into a reporter at a party. She ran a feature on me, and I got 15 different job interviews. From the job that I accepted, I have lived in multiple countries. Now I live in Finland.

Alex: Yksi, kaksi, kolme.

Leslie: [laughs] One, two, three. I'm very impressed! [laughs]

Alex: Oh, thank you very much.

Alex: Tom Nosek, aerospace consultant. He has come up with a good slogan or motto for --for Jeopardy! and it comes from what book?

Tom: Kipling's Jungle Book. In the spirit of inquisitiveness in The Jungle Book, there's a story about a mongoose.

Alex: Yes.

Tom: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, as we all know. And in the book, he says, "the motto of the mongoose family is 'run and find out,'" so that's what we like to do on Jeopardy! You hear something...

Alex: For "jeopardy!" contestants, yes, indeed.

Tom: ...run and find out.

Alex: Or if you hear it on our program, run and find out. Yeah, it's easy to do.

Alex: Richard Cordray is with us, and I have gotten over the years, Richard, a lot of mileage out of a story about you. Shortly after you were a Jeopardy! champion, you ran for political office. Do you recall that?

Richard: Yes.

Alex: And what was your bumper sticker?

Richard: Well, we did a number of themes off of the Jeopardy! so "Who Is Richard Cordray?" or other types of things.

Alex: The one I recall was, "The Answer Is Richard Cordray."

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leslie found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Richard had $5,200, Tom had $400, and Leslie was at $3,200. Leslie wagered $2,000.

LIKE HENRY JAMES? $400: I like the symbolism in this novel, such as the shattering of the title object

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WE LOVE PLANET EARTH $600: North Dakota is a leading producer of this low-grade brown coal
(Tom: What is bituminous?)
(Richard: What is anthracite?)

WE LOVE PLANET EARTH $800: This period, the "age of fishes", was named for a fossil-rich part of southwest England
(Richard: What is the Pleistocene?)
(Leslie: What is the Cumbrian?)

2 FIRST NAMES $400: This star of "Glee" made her Broadway debut at age 8 playing Cosette in "Les Miz"

2 FIRST NAMES $600: In the '90s his "you got the right one baby" Diet Pepsi commercials earned him a new generation of fans--uh huh!

SAINTS PRESERVE US! $1000: He founded an order & monastery at Monte Cassino, where he wrote his "Holy Rules"

SAINTS PRESERVE US! $600: A street festival in NYC's Little Italy is named this, after the saint also called Januarius

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Leslie: $5,400
Richard: $5,400
Tom: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
19th CENTURY OPERA (3/5)
BACK IN THE USSR (4/5)
STARTS & ENDS WITH THE SAME VOWEL (2/5)
'80s BABIES (2/5)
CINEMA OF MY YOUTH (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
I'M HEADING TO... (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Leslie: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Richard: 2 R, 5 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 12
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $16,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leslie snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Richard was in the hole with -$200, Tom had $4,800, and Leslie was at $7,400. Leslie wagered $3,000.

I'M HEADING TO... $1600: The banks of this African river that flows between Zimbabwe & Zambia on its way to the Indian Ocean
(Leslie: What is the Limpopo?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tom who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Richard had $600, Tom had $6,400, and Leslie was at $5,600. Tom wagered $400.

CINEMA OF MY YOUTH $2000: Leopoldine Konstantin tells Claude Rains, "we are protected by the enormity of your stupidity" in this Hitchcock film
(Tom: Don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BACK IN THE USSR $2000: The USSR mounted a 1958 exhibit not of Norman Rockwell but of this left-wing artist with Rockwell as his first name

19th CENTURY OPERA $800: Smitten by Mathilde Wesendonck, Wagner composed this lovey-dovey 1865 opera
(Richard: What is Tannhauser?)
(Leslie: What is The Meistersinger of Nürnberg?)

19th CENTURY OPERA $1600: One of the many composers to write a "Faust" opera, he was buddies with Bizet
(Richard: Who is Berlioz?)

STARTS & ENDS WITH THE SAME VOWEL $1200: This palindromic male given name comes from a Germanic word meaning "rich"

STARTS & ENDS WITH THE SAME VOWEL $1600: This term for ignorant folks sounds like but is the opposite of illuminati

STARTS & ENDS WITH THE SAME VOWEL $2000: From the Italian, it's heartburn or anxiety
(Tom: What is angina?)

I'M HEADING TO... $1200: The Museum of Porcelain on Grande Rue in this city just outside Paris, famous for making the stuff
(Richard: What is Limoges?)

I'M HEADING TO... $2000: This country to gaze up at the cuneiform Behistun Inscription 300 feet up a sheer limestone cliff

CINEMA OF MY YOUTH $1600: This actress was a frequent presence in the films of John Ford

'80s BABIES $400: The Sterns of New Jersey won a 1980s custody battle with the surrogate mother of Melissa, better known as "Baby" this
(Leslie: What is Jessica?)

'80s BABIES $800: The 1984 U.S. law mandating treatment of seriously ill newborns is known by this generic name

'80s BABIES $1600: She survived for 21 days in 1984 with a transplanted baboon heart
(Leslie: Now, that's Baby Jessica. What is Baby Jessica?)
(Alex: No.)
(Leslie: Oh, my God!)
[Laughter]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tom: $6,000
Leslie: $3,600
Richard: $2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE PERIODIC TABLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Tom: Wager $1,201 to cover Leslie.
Leslie: You have the hope of surpassing Tom if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $2,401 to force Tom to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Richard.
Richard: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $2,598 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the element symbols that don't match the element's English name, this element's symbol is alphabetically 1st

FINAL SCORES
Richard: $2,600 + $2,600 = $5,200 (What is silver?) (2nd place: $5,000)
Leslie: $3,600 - $3,600 = $0 (What is iron?) (3rd place: $5,000)
Tom: $6,000 + $1,201 = $7,201 (What is AG) (New champion: Quarterfinalist)
(Alex: Leslie is not looking too happy about this one.)
(Leslie: [Imitates crying])
(Alex: Why? I hope it's not Jessica.)
(Leslie: [Laughs])

Total Potential Lach Trash: $20,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tom: $6,400, 12 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Leslie: $5,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Richard: $2,600, 12 R, 8 W
Combined Coryat: $14,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Leslie: 16/60 = .267
Richard: 13/58 = .224
Tom: 13/59 = .220
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WE LOVE PLANET EARTH $400: The emmer type of this was one of the first cultivated crops over 10,000 years ago
(Tom: What is corn?)

IN THE CITY'S NEWSPAPER $600: Its Dispatch:
"Beagle Helps Ohio Zoos Tell If Polar Bear Pregnant"
(Richard: What is the [*] Dispatch?)

IN THE CITY'S NEWSPAPER $1000: Its Star:
"Ball State Freshman Sinks Half-Court Shot to Win Free Tuition"
(Leslie: What's Muncie?)

IN THE CITY'S NEWSPAPER $200: Its Commercial Appeal:
"Whither Beale Street? Take It to the River"
(Richard: What is Boston?)

BACK IN THE USSR $1600: This official Soviet news agency was the main news source for all newspapers & radio & TV stations
(Richard: What is Pravda?)

I'M HEADING TO... $400: Thunder Bay in Ontario, an arm of this Great Lake
(Richard: What is Huron?)
(Alex: Thunder Bay in Ontario. The one on Lake Huron is in the United States.)

I'M HEADING TO... $800: Mount Katahdin in this New England state
(Tom: What is New Hampshire?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Golden Bowl
lignite
the Devonian period
Lea Michele
Ray Charles
Saint Benedict
the San Gennaro Festival
the Zambezi River
Notorious
Rockwell Kent
Tristan und Isolde
Gounod
Otto
illiterati
agita
Sèvres
Iran
Maureen O'Hara
"M"
Baby Doe
Baby Fae
silver
wheat
Columbus
Indianapolis
Memphis
TASS
Superior
Maine
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Periodic Symbol
Of the element symbols that don't match the element's English name, this element's symbol is alphabetically 1st.

Spoiler
What is Silver? (Tom's Ag was accepted) Leslie said Iron.

Tom Nosek: $6,000+$1,201=$7,201...advances to Quarterfinals of Decades Tournament
Leslie Shannon: $3,600-$3,600=$0
Richard Cordray: $2,600+$2,600=$5,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

CATEGORY: "STARTS AND ENDS WITH THE SAME VOWEL" THIS TERM FOR IGNORANT FOLKS SOUNDS LIKE BUT IS THE OPPOSITE OF ILLUMINATI"
Spoiler
(TRIPLE STUMPER) WHAT IS ILLITERATI? But also acceptable IGNORAMI?
Jeffrey
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Judges: I assume "funky" is also valid on "F"ive for $800? If so, then "frock" was my only miss in that category.

Surprised they didn't mute Leslie's "Damn!" on that one clue, funny as it was.

I thought Indianapolis was the easiest in Newspapers.

====

Lach Trash on Otto, somehow.

Thunder Bay was a stupid miss for me. Huron or Superior? Well, there's a bay at the top of Huron, go for it. No, you moron, you live less than an hour from the Thunder Bay on Lake Huron.

80s Babies seemed upside down. Baby M seemed tough for $400 even in the context of this board, and test tube baby way too easy at $2000.

Thanks to a bunch of negs, I quickly canceled out the five clues I got right. This is far from the first time I've had a $0 gain in DJ!

====

This was a stupid miss for me. I can usually hold my own on the periodic table, but I somehow couldn't pull up any A's, and I kinda forgot that silver and gold are on the table to begin with.
esrever

Post by esrever »

There was a Leslie playing today, and there was also a Leslie who played yesterday. I'm sure they purposely avoided putting both Leslies into the same game. But if both Leslies had won their respective games, then they might have had to face each other later in the tournament.

Picked up Lach trash on "lignite" and "Otto"

Got FJ. At first I thought of gold (Au), but then I thought some more and came up with silver (Ag).
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

FJ OUTRAGE in ACCEPTANCE! CORDRAY SHOULD SMASH! FJ:

CATEGORY: THE PERIODIC TABLE: OF THE ELEMENT SYMBOLS THAT DON'T MATCH THE ELEMENT'S ENGLISH NAME, THIS ELEMENT'S SYMBOL IS ALPHABETICALLY 1ST

A:
Spoiler
WHAT IS SILVER?

Richard: $2600 + 2600 = $5200 What is silver?
Tom: $6000 + 1201 = $7201 What is Ag?
Leslie: $3600 - $3600 = $0 What is iron?
If you read the question correctly, J! writers were clearly looking for the name of the element (*not* its symbol) Who is to say if Tom even remembered what the symbol stood for?

Jeffrey
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Hope that's the worst game of the tourney. On one hand, the material felt a little tougher than the past two nights. On the other, these folks were not TV ready.

I initially said antimony for FJ, as I misread the clue.

Thankfully Leslie missed FJ; I'd hate to think that the issue with the thrown out clue affected the final result.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

El Jefe wrote:FJ OUTRAGE in ACCEPTANCE! CORDRAY SHOULD SMASH! FJ:

CATEGORY: THE PERIODIC TABLE: OF THE ELEMENT SYMBOLS THAT DON'T MATCH THE ELEMENT'S ENGLISH NAME, THIS ELEMENT'S SYMBOL IS ALPHABETICALLY 1ST

A:
Spoiler
WHAT IS SILVER?

If you read the question correctly, J! writers were clearly looking for the name of the element (*not* its symbol) Who is to say if Tom even remembered what the symbol stood for?

Jeffrey
IIRC, Ag is silver.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Austin Powers wrote:

A:
Spoiler
WHAT IS SILVER?

Jeffrey
IIRC, Ag is silver.
The clue was poorly written if they intended to accept the symbol instead of the full name of the element. (Perhaps the contestants were given instructions off camera that either was acceptable?)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Or it could be that Ag is an appropriate representation of silver, as there are probably a billion examples of it being used in text, on and offline, to denote the chemical element known as silver. The answer given uniquely and unmistakeably identifies the entity that happens to be the correct response.

But I'm sure Tom Nosek meant to say meitnerium with that response.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Woppy T wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:

A:
Spoiler
WHAT IS SILVER?

Jeffrey
IIRC, Ag is silver.
The clue was poorly written if they intended to accept the symbol instead of the full name of the element. (Perhaps the contestants were given instructions off camera that either was acceptable?)
If that was the case, then Trebek should have stated as much immediately after accepting Tom's answer, because as written, I can't accept any interpretation that says they were looking for the symbol.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Wow. Richard Cordray looked rusty in Double Jeopardy! and it showed.

Someone should have told Leslie Shannon that Jeopardy! is a family show and she should not have used a curse word on the air.

Way to go, Tom Nosek for stepping it up in Double Jeopardy! and holding on to win.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

esrever wrote:There was a Leslie playing today, and there was also a Leslie who played yesterday. I'm sure they purposely avoided putting both Leslies into the same game. But if both Leslies had won their respective games, then they might have had to face each other later in the tournament.
While it's true that they don't like to put players with the same first name in a game if they can help it, they seem to be putting no more than one woman in any game. Had Leah won the "popularity" contest, she might have wound up playing Jerome, Bob and/or Tom on Friday.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I don't think that I got any Lach trash when I watched the first two games, but I got some tonight (lignite, Devonian, Gounod, Tristan & Isolde).

I am not sure if this board was objectively the hardest of the week so far, but it most played to my weaknesses. Aside from the "Opera" category, the DJ round was especially ugly for me.

Movie categories are usually bad for me, but I was happy to get the clue on Lee Marvin. It helped that I remembered him singing "Paint Your Wagon" on The Simpsons.

Was there any TOM in the "Iran" clue other than "cuneiform?"

I picked Richard to win this one, but I was rooting for Tom all the way. I am glad that he pulled it out!

I said "iron" for FJ. This one hurts.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeopfansincebirth wrote:Someone should have told Leslie Shannon that Jeopardy! is a family show and she should not have used a curse word on the air.
I swear AT said "bitch" in a Celeb Week interview a few years ago, like 2008 or so. Can anyone confirm?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

I initially said antimony too. I have no problem with accepting Ag, even though it asked for the element name--Ag is an appropriate way to write "silver."

My problem is with the clue. "the element symbols that don't match the English names"--what on Earth does this mean? Oxygen clearly matches O, Argon clearly matches Ar, and Potassium clearly does not match K, but does Arsenic "match" As? Does Radon "match" Rn? Does Zinc "match" Zn? Is there some clearly defined way they are using the word "match" that I have never heard of?

This is a non-issue, because as far as I know, the only symbol before Ag is Ac, which clearly matches Actinium. But still, am I missing something here?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

georgespelvin wrote:
esrever wrote:There was a Leslie playing today, and there was also a Leslie who played yesterday. I'm sure they purposely avoided putting both Leslies into the same game. But if both Leslies had won their respective games, then they might have had to face each other later in the tournament.
While it's true that they don't like to put players with the same first name in a game if they can help it, they seem to be putting no more than one woman in any game. Had Leah won the "popularity" contest, she might have wound up playing Jerome, Bob and/or Tom on Friday.
I doubt that Leah would have played Jerome, since they met in round 2 of the UToC.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Austin Powers wrote:Or it could be that Ag is an appropriate representation of silver, as there are probably a billion examples of it being used in text, on and offline, to denote the chemical element known as silver. The answer given uniquely and unmistakeably identifies the entity that happens to be the correct response.

But I'm sure Tom Nosek meant to say meitnerium with that response.
It is possible that one could go through the elemental symbols alphabetically, get to Ag, and not know that it is silver but know that it is something that does not match the English name. That's the problem with accepting the symbol when the clue clearly wanted the whole name. Tom did say verbally that Ag was the symbol for silver, so he probably knew it, but this was after Richard's correct response had already been revealed.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, now I know why Tom Nosek was at the 2000s Decade taping and at the party afterwards--he must have been scouting out the competition. I thought that he looked familiar, but at the time I couldn't place him. His looks also remind me a bit of a much older and less jovial Doug Hicton.

Watching Richard Cordray bounce around the board and Daily Double hunt in the first round made me think that if he won, then the Republican Party and the Tea Partiers would be all over the media tomorrow talking about how he is a Jeopardy villain, ruining the American game. :lol: I was not surprised with his flameout. I'm pretty sure that he really did not have time to adequately prepare for the tournament and he probably hasn't been to many pub quizzes since he became a political heavyweight in Ohio and nationally. Probably John McCain (who won on the Art Fleming version of Jeopardy) would have had the same problem. I should also mention that probably none of the contestants except for Ken Jennings probably had as much pressure on them to perform in this tournament than Richard did because of his high political profile, so I'm sure that probably factored into his sour TV presence.

I was really hoping that Leslie would win but she seemed to get a little too giddy and goofy at times and it cost her.

I calculate my Coryats from the Archive after the fact (have done that since I started watching with my wife) but I'm pretty positive that I had my worst Coryat score ever tonight. I did, however, keep my perfect FJ streak alive this week. I first threw up my hands when I saw the convoluted clue, but then figured it out.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.