Monday, February 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6771, 2014-02-10

2014 College Championship quarterfinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Whitney Thompson, a junior at the University of Oklahoma from Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sarah Stevens, a sophomore from the University of Delaware from Dover, Delaware
James Fulwiler, a junior from Temple University from Baltimore, Maryland

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. We're going from the battle of the decades to the College Championship and appropriately tucked in right between the BCS football bowl games and March Madness's basketball games. Two juniors and a sophomore today. James, Sarah, Whitney, welcome. Good luck. Here we go. Now the categories for you in this first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOVELS BY QUOTE (2/5)
BACKING BANDS (4/5)
NAMES IN NATURE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CAL TECH (5/5)
OTHER COLLEGES (5/5)
"ACA"DEMIA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Whitney: 14 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
James: 9 R, 2 W
Sarah: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $3,000
Whitney: $1,600
Sarah: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Whitney Thompson is from the University of Oklahoma, and this young lady has written a book on something unusual. What was it?

Whitney: Basset hound genetics.

Alex: Of course. Everybody wants to know about that.

Whitney: Oh, yeah.

Alex: Was this for adults or children?

Whitney: Children. Um, I took AP Biology my senior year in high school, and one of things our teacher had us do after the test was write children's books on any biological concept. Now, I have a basset hound who is almost all brown, and apparently that's a really rare phenotype for basset hounds. So, I wrote a book about how she got that way and read it to second graders.

Alex: And the kids were probably fascinated.

Whitney: Oh, yeah. My dog's really cute. Why wouldn't they be?

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Sarah Stevens is a major in history, University of Delaware. And this young lady is very superstitious, ladies and gentlemen. She does not believe it's important to wear shoes for special events.

Sarah: It's true. Uh...

Alex: Are you wearing shoes today?

Sarah: I am not.

Alex: You're not?

Sarah: I'm not, at all.

Alex: So, when you graduate and you're gonna have a gown and a cap and you're gonna go up on stage to get your diploma, are you going to be wearing shoes on that day?

Sarah: Absolutely not.

Alex: How did this come about?

Sarah: Uh, it's kind of a funny story. Uh, I'm a singer. And when I was in the seventh grade, I was auditioning for Delaware All-State Choir. And my shoes were just the slightest bit too tight, and I thought that it would be better to be more comfortable barefoot than I would be in too-tight shoes. Took them off and barely squeaked in to All-State by like two or three points and have been superstitious ever since.

Alex: Well, good for you. You know, of course, that you're in the minority because young girls nowadays graduating high school or college all prefer the six-inch spikes.

Sarah: Yeah.

Alex: Am I right?

Sarah: Yep.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: James Fulwiler from Baltimore, Maryland, is a junior at temple and a lifeguard during the summer months. And you did a good deed this past summer.

James: I did. I did. Um, one of the campers jumped in off the diving board while I was at the deep end and swallowed some water, so he was thrashing around. We pulled him out and, uh, as I was leaving, a couple of his friends stopped me at the gate and told me they thought I was a hero. And I looked at them and I don't know what came over me, but I said, "I'm not a hero, I'm a lifeguard," and walked away.

Alex: Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Whitney found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. James had $2,800, Sarah was in the red with -$200, and Whitney was at $2,400. Whitney wagered $600.

NAMES IN NATURE $800: They have only one cell each but can take pride in their name. from the Greek for "first animals"
(Whitney: What are amoebas?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BACKING BANDS $400: Ziggy Marley & the ____ Makers
(Whitney: What are the Star Makers?)

NOVELS BY QUOTE $600: A modern classic:
"My guess was that Richard Parker was on the floor of the lifeboat"

NOVELS BY QUOTE $800: From 1982:
"Dear God, he beat me today because he say I winked at a boy in church"
(Whitney: What is Go Tell It on the Mountain?)

NOVELS BY QUOTE $1000: Retells a biblical story:
"First Aron prayed silently for Cal"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Whitney: $6,200
James: $3,400
Sarah: -$200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT HISTORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POP CULTURE (5/5)
FAMOUS HOMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CLASSICAL MUSIC (3/5)
"D" PLUS (3/5)
THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT TERM (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
James: 9 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Whitney: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Whitney snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. James had $7,400, Sarah had $2,600, and Whitney was at $7,400. Whitney wagered $600.

ANCIENT HISTORY $2000: In 439 A.D. Genseric the Vandal captured this North African city, which became the Vandal capital
(Whitney: What is Cairo?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. James had $7,800, Sarah had $2,600, and Whitney was at $6,800. James wagered $1,000.

FAMOUS HOMES $800: Peacefield in Quincy, Massachusetts was the mansion of this man who purchased it in 1787

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANCIENT HISTORY $800: This escaped gladiator took refuge on Mount Vesuvius, where he built a large army

FAMOUS HOMES $2000: As of January 2014 Gracie Mansion at East End Ave. & 88th Street is this man's official residence
(Alex: And his name is [*], and he's the mayor of New York City.)

"D" PLUS $400: Ambition, or the way Phil Mickelson starts a round
(Sarah: What is determination?)

"D" PLUS $2000: From the Hindi, it's another name for blue denim jeans

CLASSICAL MUSIC $1600: This composer of "Bolero" said it was "a piece for orchestra without music"

CLASSICAL MUSIC $2000: Aram Khachaturian composed this "Dance" for his ballet "Gayane"
(James: What is "Tarantella"?)

THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT TERM $400: In taxonomy:
Kingdom, phylum...
(James: Class. ... What is class?)
[Originally ruled correct; reversed before Final Jeopardy! when the judges determined he had not gotten in his response in time]

THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT TERM $1600: In geologic time:
Eon, era...

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Whitney: $10,000
James: $9,200
Sarah: $6,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Before we move on, a brief change in score to announce, and it goes back to "there's always next term" and a response given by James a little while ago. He did not--our judges have determined--they have reviewed the tape--he did not get his response of "What is class?" in time before time ran out. So he has $9,200. The scores are correct. Islands is the category, players, and here is your Final Jeopardy! clue...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLANDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Whitney: Wager $8,401 to cover James.
James: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Sarah, hoping that you give the correct response and Whitney doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $3,201 to cover Sarah's doubled score, but no more than $7,600 if you want to top Whitney on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,999 and win if both Whitney and Sarah miss Final.
Sarah: If you think James is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $200 to beat Whitney and James on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think James is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,001 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by James) and $6,200 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a satellite photo, volcanic activity can be seen on this 10,000-square-mile island

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $6,200 - $4,800 = $1,400 (What is Crete Sicily?) (2nd place)
James: $9,200 - $9,200 = $0 (What is Fiji?) (3rd place)
Whitney: $10,000 - $0 = $10,000 (What is Crete?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [To Sarah] You took--you had written down [*] and crossed it out and put down Crete instead.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Whitney: $11,200, 19 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
James: $9,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Sarah: $6,200, 9 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $26,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Whitney: 19/60 = .317
James: 18/59 = .305
Sarah: 9/58 = .155
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"ACA"DEMIA $600: This word follows "Danse" in the type of grisly artwork seen here

NAMES IN NATURE $600: You'll notice that something is missing on this critter named for a British isle
(James: What is a Mannish cat?)
(Sarah: What is a lynx?)

NAMES IN NATURE $1000: Its name can also mean someone who nags or scolds

OTHER COLLEGES $1000: Formed in 1150, this group chooses the pope
(James: What is the Papal College?)

CAL TECH $1000: Carlsbad's Callaway makes hi-tech these, like the FT Optiforce
(Sarah: What are golf balls?)

POP CULTURE $1200: This comic actress brought "The Heat" to movie theaters

POP CULTURE $2000: 4-letter name of the band heard here

"Lessons in life /
Your life is a lie /
Now there's no time..."

ANCIENT HISTORY $1200: The last prophecy of this Greek Oracle was a prediction that it would be the last one
(Whitney: What is Delphos?)
(Alex: Say it again.)
(Whitney: Delphos?)

FAMOUS HOMES $1600: Miramare Castle was the project of this man who soon met a sad end as ruler of Mexico

"D" PLUS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew inflates a large black bag.) The black plastic of the solar bag allows for rapid absorption of the sun's rays speeding up the heated air molecules, which become less this than the cool air outside, causing the bag to float

"D" PLUS $1600: Today something you all aspire to, in ancient Rome it was a document folded double acting as a sort of passport
(James: What is a degree?)

THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT TERM $1200: In U.S. House GOP leadership:
Speaker, Majority Leader...
(James: What is Minority Leader?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
protozoa
Melody
Life of Pi
The Color Purple
East of Eden
Carthage
John Adams
Spartacus
Bill de Blasio
a drive
dungarees
Maurice Ravel
"The Sabre Dance"
class
period
Sicily
macabre
a Manx (cat)
a shrew
the College of Cardinals
golf clubs
Melissa McCarthy
MGMT
(the Oracle of) Delphi
Maximilian
dense
a diploma
Majority Whip

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Islands
In a satellite photo, volcanic activity can be seen on this 10,000-square-mile island

Spoiler
Show
What is Sicily? Sarah crossed out Sicily and said Crete; James said Fiji; Whitney said Crete.
Whitney Thompson (Oklahoma): $10,000-$0=$10,000...Automatic Semi-Finalist
James Fulwiler (Temple): $9,200-$9,200=$0
Sarah Stevens (Delaware): $6,200-$4,800=$1,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KeithAR2002
Contributor

Post by KeithAR2002 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Shocked.. just Shocked that FJ! was a TRIPLE STUMPER.. :shock: that's all I'll say for now.
Last edited by KeithAR2002 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 pm

KeithAR2002 wrote:Shocked.. just Shocked that FJ! was a TRIPLE STUMPER.. that's all I'll say for now.
I think you'll be far from the only one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:14 pm

dhkendall wrote:
KeithAR2002 wrote:Shocked.. just Shocked that FJ! was a TRIPLE STUMPER.. that's all I'll say for now.
In one of my weaker categories, it was an instaget.

CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Wow, I thought FJ! would be a triple get, not a triple stumper! Very surprising misses by the contestants throughout the board.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:27 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Yep

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Now, I'm not usually like this but...why was that clue a triple stumper?

I truly get the studio's different than playing along at home, but I don't get how all three missed that. Genuinely I wonder if it was harder to see in studio or something. However, I can only think of one island that looks like it's coming off of a tip in that way. I just am actually really wondering, because that was the last clue I expected to be a triple stumper. I also wonder what made the Delaware woman (I can't remember her name) change her mind.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Whitney's uptalk during the interview? Was really annoying? She sounded like? She kept? Asking? Questions?

Three NHOIs in Bands: Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers (I've at least heard of Ziggy himself), Fitz and the Tantrums, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I'm surprised the last one wasn't a TS, since they've had absolutely zero hits in the US, and their only hit anywhere was in 2010.

Ran "Aca".

I also negged with amoeba instead of protozoa to stay at 4/5 in Animals.

Got hesitant on College for $600 and wondered whether it might be trapeze artists, lion tamers, or any of the thousands of others of performers at a circus. The clue didn't seem remotely pinned to clowns for me. At least I didn't know cardinal college either, so I didn't end up with four 4/5s in the round.

Anyone wanna explain Cal Tech for $1000, my only miss there? "Optiforce" doesn't sound remotely like a golf club to me, and "high tech" to me suggests something electronic, which would rule out about 99% of sports equipment. How do you get golf club out of that?! (And how was that clue not a TS when "drive" was?)

====

0/5 in Pop Culture. About 99.9% sure that I've NHO Kris Jenner, Melissa McCarthy, Nerdist, or MGMT.

"Rebus" was by far the easiest in Ancient History. Hammurabi was a really rough start IMO.

Me on Famous Homes DD: "Well, it's not John Quincy Adams, who else could it be?" Derp.

My 4/5 in Classical Music (everything but Sabre Dance) accounted for 4 out of my only 6 gets in DJ!

I had three of the D's (all but "dowry" and "Dungarees") but clammed on them, thus giving me an increasingly-common skunk in a word category. Clammed on "Class" and "Tau" as well.

====

"Well, that top part looks very, very, VERY vaguely like Italy's boot, but no way is Sicily that big. Gotta be something else that I would never get in a million years."
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 pm

I'm actually kind of ashamed it was a TS. I wrote down "What is Sicily? (And the extra point is good!)" of course, referring to the shape. Interesting wager by the semi-finalist though, as she would've been passed on a get by the gentleman from Temple and relegated to WC status.

gsn93
Contributor

Post by gsn93 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 pm

KeithAR2002 wrote:Shocked.. just Shocked that FJ! was a TRIPLE STUMPER.. :shock: that's all I'll say for now.
Same here -- that was mind-boggling.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone wanna explain Cal Tech for $1000, my only miss there? "Optiforce" doesn't sound remotely like a golf club to me, and "high tech" to me suggests something electronic, which would rule out about 99% of sports equipment. How do you get golf club out of that?! (And how was that clue not a TS when "drive" was?)
Callaway = golf clubs. You know it or you don't.

You've likely heard of Kris Jenner. Before she was married to Bruce Jenner, she was married to Robert Kardashian. You should be able to figure out the rest.

soxfan99
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by soxfan99 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:36 pm

I got the final, but not by the shape. I keyed in on, "small island with a well-known name and a famous volcano," and that led me quickly to Sicily.

Leander

Post by Leander » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Anyone wanna explain Cal Tech for $1000, my only miss there? "Optiforce" doesn't sound remotely like a golf club to me, and "high tech" to me suggests something electronic, which would rule out about 99% of sports equipment. How do you get golf club out of that?! (And how was that clue not a TS when "drive" was?)
Wasn't Callaway in the clue? It's the leading golf equipment manufacturer.

I'm another shocked at the FJ triple stumper. Sounded like Alex thought it would be very easy.

esrever

Post by esrever » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Picked up lots of Lach trash: "The Color Purple", "Bill de Blasio", "drive", "Maurice Ravel", "Sabre Dance", "period"

I got FJ. Like some others have mentioned, I was very surprised that it was a triple stumper. It's too bad that Sarah crossed out "Sicily" and wrote "Crete" instead.

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:50 pm

esrever wrote:Picked up lots of Lach trash: "The Color Purple", "Bill de Blasio", "drive", "Maurice Ravel", "Sabre Dance", "period"

I got FJ. Like some others have mentioned, I was very surprised that it was a triple stumper. It's too bad that Sarah crossed out "Sicily" and wrote "Crete" instead.
I don't remember the exact wording on that clue, but would "The Mayor of New York [City]" have been acceptable?

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:57 pm

This game was good for my ego. Last week, I scored below my usual average for five straight games. Today, I scored above my usual average.

Not surprisingly for a college tournament, my worst category in each of the rounds was the most pop-culturey one ("Backing Bands" in the J round and "Pop Culture" in the DJ round).

I needed the rebound on "golf clubs" and "majority whip". (Seniority of various political positions is something I should memorize, but I grew up in Canada so the US ones aren't burned as firmly in my brain as they could be.)

Regarding FJ, I don't normally like to say things like "How can they not know that?" But, this time, you can add me to the chorus of people shouting "How can they not know that?"

To be fair, everyone has their weak spots, and different people are different. Maybe for some people who aren't visual learners, they think of place names more abstractly, like they're just part of a list or something? I'm somebody who has always loved poring over maps and atlases, and for me, the physical shape of a geographic entity is a huge part of its "personality".

Maybe it was harder in the studio? Subtleties of distance, light, angle, etc.?

I work at the University of Delaware, so it would have been nice to see Sarah get a higher score. (I suppose the contestant on the left was also somewhat local to me -- if he's from Baltimore and attends Temple, he's probably been through Delaware lots of times.)

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Sorry to pile it on, but FJ was a triple-stumper... for *college* students who are supposedly bright and able enough to pass the auditions to get there?

Man, I'm gonna sound like an old grouch ("You kids get off my lawn!") but I weep for this generation if its representative of what they know...
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:02 pm

jpr281 wrote: I don't remember the exact wording on that clue, but would "The Mayor of New York [City]" have been acceptable?
Can't see how it wouldn't have been.