Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by legendneverdies »

ArthurChu wrote:Well we have almost no data to judge from, but the one tiebreaker I remember (the first one in history, that I actually saw on TV when I was a little kid) was one that basically required you to know the author of The Sun Also Rises was Hemingway -- maybe not a top-row clue but not strikingly higher in difficulty than a typical mid-row clue.
Of the tiebreaker clues listed in the archive, the hardest one was the 1996 teen tourney final tiebreaker: Name the city the Bosnia peace accords were named for(Dayton Ohio), a current events type question as it happened only six month earlier. Dave Legler lost his chance at game seven and another million dollars on Maury Povich 21 in 2000 missing a similar question IIRC.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Bamaman wrote:I did not think he looked like Seth MacFarlane. Mainly because I had never heard of him before.
No big deal, I had never heard of Cameron Kim as well. Well known undergrads from Duke is on my next Pavlov list to study. :D

I'm glad I'm not the only person that came up blank on FJ!, though I'm kinda upset with myself. I don't tweet, but I should have made the connection to the date, and just didn't.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

ArthurChu wrote:Well we have almost no data to judge from, but the one tiebreaker I remember (the first one in history, that I actually saw on TV when I was a little kid) was one that basically required you to know the author of The Sun Also Rises was Hemingway -- maybe not a top-row clue but not strikingly higher in difficulty than a typical mid-row clue.
Here is another one: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2172 . It does seem likely that they don't want players agonizing over whether to ring on the tiebreakers (time is short, after all).
I'm smart and I want respect.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

dhkendall wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Is it just my peeve, or do others think 3 syllables in 'sophomore' is a bit pretentious, like pronouncing 'vegetables' with 4 (as a non-UKer)?
Remember that Alex is Canadian and still holds on to some of his Canadianisms. He does pronounce "z" as "zee" because it'd be too obvious otherwise but, subconsciously or not, he still has many Canadianisms there. (And remember our particular brand of English is a cross between American and British English.)
I'm a Canadian who moved to the US at the age of 36.

I never knew until reading this thread that people say "soff-more" rather than "soff-uh-more".

In Canada, people don't say "freshman, sophomore, junior, senior" for university students or for high school students. For university students, we just say "first year, second year, third year, fourth year" and for high school students, we just say the grade, like "grade eleven" (not "eleventh grade", by the way).

So, for me, "sophomore" was always a word I read but don't really say.

"Vegetable" and "comfortable" are very common words, and in casual conversation, I say them "vej-tuh-bull" and "comf-tur-bull" like most people. But I never knew about "soff-more" until yesterday.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Dates, dates, dates... you must be familiar with dates... if you're not cursed with an eidetic memory (it is not a blessing, believe me!) then at least you have to be able to recognize significant dates, as in the past few years there has been an increasing trend in DDs and FJs to give as the only real clue some significant date (this is like checking to see if you read a book rather than merely asking the title and author, also increasingly popular, lol). J! rarely asks to respond with a date beyond '1066' or '1776' or 'June 6, 1944'; but by golly it sure behooves you to be able to look at a date like '6 Nov' and think, "gee...an early date in an even-numbered year (2012) in November, gosh could that have been... election Tuesday (what is Tiw's day); hey wow I don't tweet twitter or facebook but this obabmarama stuff is so popular.... >Four....DOH! More Years (GAH!). If you know nothing about social media, which I personally consider to be pure noise and drivel, put no stock in and will never follow, you can still solve the clue from the date. So many clues like this:
<line break>
1907 San Fran quake
<line break>
1666...the Great London Fire;
<line break>
1545...Council of Trent;
<line break>
325 Council of Nicaea;
<line break>
44 BC Julius gets the knife;
<line break>
68 AD Nero offs himself (with a little help from his friends);
<line break>
455 Rome sacked by Vandals (as well as: 396 BC by Gauls, 410 by Visigoths and 546 by Ostrogoths);
<line break>
1939 Nazis invade Poland;
<line break>
1932 FDR elected;
<line break>
1917 US enters WWI;
<line break>
1918 WWI called for the 'Spanish Flu' on 11th hour 11th day 11th month;
<line break>
1969 Neil Armstrong takes one small step;
<line break>
1989 Berlin wall comes tumbling down;
<line break>
etc etc etc

some dates you just gotta recognize even if you can't respond with the exact date; this is a form of memory, not active recall, but passive recognition.
This ability will separate wheat from chaff, men from boys and wannabees from champions. May the odds ever be in your favor! :!:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

skullturf wrote:...and for high school students, we just say the grade, like "grade eleven" (not "eleventh grade", by the way).
Yes. The main reason we don't say "eleventh grade" when we mean grade 11 is that there are (at least here in Ontario) two grades before grade 1, so the eleventh grade that a student gets to is grade 9.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

chalupabatman786 wrote:Arthur, this is just a hypothesis, but I would guess that the two most likely outcomes of a FJ are a triple-get and a triple-stumper (is there a way to look this up on j-archive?). You are assuming that the probability that he gets it right and the probability that she gets it right are independent, when in fact the two probabilities are closely related in that they are answering the same question.

Start with the assumption that he has a 50% chance of getting a Social Media FJ clue right, and that his opponent answered correctly (because if she got it wrong the entire discussion is moot). Just the fact that she got it right makes the probability that he answered correctly increase significantly enough to merit a $1 wager. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes'_theorem

I'm not sure I've explained my thinking well, and my thoughts about triple-gets and stumpers could be off-base, but I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.
This is a very compelling argument.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

alietr wrote:
ArthurChu wrote:Basically tweets are the modern-day version of "headlines", only sometimes with dick jokes
They had them back then, too:

Well played.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Fishercat wrote: Hey Mark, is there any way this could be in this week's poll? Granite was the tip off, but like DNB, those aren't exactly well known in NH. I've been here 25ish years, and I only recently became aware of Swenson Granite and still don't know what Rattlesnake Hill is (looks like it's close to my city too).
It -was- the bottom row, too. Oddly, that positioning probably kept people from pulling the trigger. If that same clue was put in at the top, I'd read the clue "blah blah granite blah" and give NH a shot cause, heck, "Granite State" and it's only 200. Not for 1000 though; it didn't pass my Watson threshold at that level.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
Fishercat wrote: Hey Mark, is there any way this could be in this week's poll? Granite was the tip off, but like DNB, those aren't exactly well known in NH. I've been here 25ish years, and I only recently became aware of Swenson Granite and still don't know what Rattlesnake Hill is (looks like it's close to my city too).
It -was- the bottom row, too. Oddly, that positioning probably kept people from pulling the trigger. If that same clue was put in at the top, I'd read the clue "blah blah granite blah" and give NH a shot cause, heck, "Granite State" and it's only 200. Not for 1000 though; it didn't pass my Watson threshold at that level.
I guess I don't have a Watson threshold. 'Cause I saw "blah blah granite blah" and immediately shouted "New Hampshire". I don't think I even noticed the clue value.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

esrever wrote:Picked up Lach trash on "the aisles", "it", "straight sets", and "Bolivia trivia"

I didn't get FJ, because I didn't make the connection between the November 2012 date and the U.S. presidential election.
Not sure what gives here. Even in a game that was overall much better played than Monday's, I also got Lach Trash for mote, aisles, genius, "it" (I know Clara Bow is way, way before these kids' time!), straight sets, skyhook (is Kareem also way before their time? I guess), and Bolivia Trivia (which I thought would have been way to easy for them to miss).

Still, props to these three; it's hard to complain too much when all three end up over $10K.

At this point I would expect to see Laurie advance to the SF round, and possibly Cameron too.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

jjwaymee wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:The date's obviously not relevant here, so tune that out.
That's the most important hint in the entire clue.
I got it by thinking about a three-word phrase that begins with "four" and then when it clicked the November 6, 2012 date confirmed it. Not quite an instaget but close.
Not "four beers here!"?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Any red staters on FB coming up with alternative responses to go with, "Four?"
I wonder how many people re-tweeted it in outrage/disappointment.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Golf wrote:The UCLA kid will catch a lot of grief about not knowing Kareem Abdul Jabbar's signature move. Only their best hoopster ever.

Agree completely. UCLA might dock him credits for that one... :)
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

goatman wrote:Dates, dates, dates... you must be familiar with dates...
I find this quiz to be helpful. Worthy of complete memorization.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/hscer/200yq
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

Excuse me, but in the math category "solve for x" where the equation for "x" was:
(x-5)squared = 81

the supposed answer(x) was -4.

wouldn't 14 have worked just as well?

(14 - 5)squared = 81
square root of each side:
(14-5) = 9
9 = 9

ergo, x = 14.

I was wondering why the kid said 13 but I think he just miscounted.
alamble

Post by alamble »

a1srvng wrote:Excuse me, but in the math category "solve for x" where the equation for "x" was:
(x-5)squared = 81

the supposed answer(x) was -4.

wouldn't 14 have worked just as well?

(14 - 5)squared = 81
square root of each side:
(14-5) = 9
9 = 9

ergo, x = 14.

I was wondering why the kid said 13 but I think he just miscounted.
14 was already given in the clue, they were asking for an alternate correct answer for X.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

The way the clue was phrased:

The most retweeted tweet of all time happened on Nov. 6, 2012 & started with “Four” & ended with these 2 words.

did not automatically make me think FOUR ____ ____ (which would have been more obvious). I was thinking "Okay, it starts with 'four', then we have no idea how many words are in the middle, then we're looking for the two words at the end. It's about Twitter, so maybe something to do with the Arab Spring? No, it's in November--" Then my husband shouted out the answer. I'm not sure if I would have gotten it on my own given the rest of the think music.
This was exactly my problem. I got that the answer probably had to do with the Presidential election, but I did not get that the tweet was only three words long. I was thinking that the final words were either "President Obama" or "Obama wins".
Teems with quiet fun.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:I did not think he looked like Seth MacFarlane. Mainly because I had never heard of him before.
Wow. Between this and the fact that an FJ! I actually got right is currently leading the "Toughest FJ!" poll, I swear this forum's been flipped, turned upside-down.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

ElendilPickle wrote:
alietr wrote:
ArthurChu wrote:Basically tweets are the modern-day version of "headlines", only sometimes with dick jokes
They had them back then, too:

Well played.
And here, I thought the dick JOKE would have been "Nixon Re-elected".
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.