Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:50 pm

skullturf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:500-380. Okay, that's 50-38. Can't take away from 0, so borrow the 1. 4 [10] - 38. 10 minus 8 is 2... oh wait, what did I have up there again, a 5 or a 4? Crap, go back. 50-38. 10-8=2, 5-3 is... whoops. Borrowing and carrying ALWAYS trip me up because it's too many numbers to keep track of.
This is why many people recommend not using borrowing and carrying for mental subtraction. Another way to do it is to "add up" to the number. People often do this when making change.

If you give me a $5 bill for something that costs $3.80, I might hand you a dime and say "3.90", then hand you another dime and say "4 dollars", and then hand you a dollar bill and say "And one dollar makes five" or something like that.
That's how I was trained to return cash change at In-N-Out, though our assumption was coin change was de facto correct:
"$3.80. $4. $5. $10. $15. $20." (Tens were mythic items. We never had them...)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:45 am

opusthepenguin wrote:I used your method as well. I can state pretty confidently that I wouldn't have gotten that done in time to ring in. I think most contestants wouldn't. You sort of have to look at the equation, deduce that it's quickly solvable, ring in, and hope that your brain gears don't lock up in fright when Alex calls your name. (But if they do, you should shout "Bourbon!")
The proper thing to shout is Burma.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:11 am

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I used your method as well. I can state pretty confidently that I wouldn't have gotten that done in time to ring in. I think most contestants wouldn't. You sort of have to look at the equation, deduce that it's quickly solvable, ring in, and hope that your brain gears don't lock up in fright when Alex calls your name. (But if they do, you should shout "Bourbon!")
I have seen that sketch many times. I've always heard it as "bourbon". Now I can't hear it that way any more. I'm kind of upset with you.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:31 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I have seen that sketch many times. I've always heard it as "bourbon". Now I can't hear it that way any more. I'm kind of upset with you.
'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:42 am

dhkendall wrote:
No, the proper thing to shout is "That's Numberwang!"

phpBB [video]
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent