Wednesday, February 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Vanya wrote:29 can be visualized as 15+10+4, none of which are prime so 29 is non-prime.

Ipso facto, qed, habeas corpus.
BTW when are we going to be treated to a special edition entitled "The Girls of Vanya?"

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Fishercat wrote:FWIW, the music isn't THAT obscure. Granted, it's a strong category for me, but the Arctic Monkeys album did give the initials IIRC, fun is exceptionally popular, Haim played that song on SNL within the past few months, Lana Del Rey has had a couple pretty big radio hits (and a prominent place in the recent Gatsby movie), and the Avicii song was huge. You could hypothetically go 5/5 with a some perusal of the recent Billboard Hot 100 playlists (which if you're going on the college tournament and it's a weakness is worth your time) and the end of year Top 100 lists. I will say, for the typical Jeopardy contestants, I suspect music (and maybe TV with kids week) is the one category where the material gets more obscure/tougher in the college/teen/kids tournaments. It's interesting.
BTW, when are the folks that write the cards with the clues going to spell P!nk's name right? (Interestingly enough, it comes up right on closed captioning for responses!)

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:BTW, when are the folks that write the cards with the clues going to spell P!nk's name right?
They're trying to figure a way to spell >|uid then rotate it 180`

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BADuBois wrote:Dear Alex, is there *anything* he can't do?
Chuck Norris can divide by zero. But Alex Trebek can divide Chuck Norris by zero.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:BTW, when are the folks that write the cards with the clues going to spell P!nk's name right? (Interestingly enough, it comes up right on closed captioning for responses!)
It might be a while. They haven't even figured out yet how to put the tilde over the N in "jalapeño".
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

John Boy wrote:
Vanya wrote:29 can be visualized as 15+10+4, none of which are prime so 29 is non-prime.

Ipso facto, qed, habeas corpus.
BTW when are we going to be treated to a special edition entitled "The Girls of Vanya?"
http://jkfletcher.blogspot.com/2014/02/blog-post.html

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How did you get chainsaw out of Sharp Things for $1600?
"Gas-powered" was in the clue. How many sharp things might need to be gas-powered? A lawn-mower maybe, but people don't usually think of that as sharp unless you're obsessed with "Dead Dog Rover". If you live on a farm you might know lots of gas-powered agricultural machines.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Didn't get final. Knowledge gap.

...and apparently the disproof got a lot of love on page two.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

silverscreentest wrote:
"Gas-powered" was in the clue. How many sharp things might need to be gas-powered? A lawn-mower maybe, but people don't usually think of that as sharp unless you're obsessed with "Dead Dog Rover". If you live on a farm you might know lots of gas-powered agricultural machines.
Or if you've never had reason to own a chainsaw, you just don't know something as simple as "they're gas powered". Fair enough.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Or if you've never had reason to own a chainsaw, you just don't know something as simple as "they're gas powered". Fair enough.
If you've never owned a chainsaw, you must not be a brother to Bob McKenzie.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I bought a chain saw a few years back for back-yard dead falls, and I couldn't wait to tell my brother about how effective it was. "It cuts through wood like a knife through butter!" Well, he asked if he could borrow it, as he'd just gotten a wood-burning stove and wanted to lay in some fuel. I brought it over and saw he had a decent pile. "But it shouldn't take long with this baby!" He'd never used one before, but was excited to try. "A pile like that you should be able to whittle down in an hour or so," I said.

I went back later that day, fully expecting to just be able to retrieve the saw, but he was sitting, resting, with only about 1/3 the pile cut. He sees me and immediately blurts out, "I think there's something wrong with this saw, it's seems harder than a typical saw!"

"Not possible!" I said. "Did you dull the links somehow?" He insisted it'd been tough from the get-go. "Well, let's check it out then," and I pulled the cord and started it up.

My brother covered his ears. "OW! What's that NOISE??"

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Or if you've never had reason to own a chainsaw, you just don't know something as simple as "they're gas powered". Fair enough.
Think of most anyone you've seen using a chainsaw on TV or in the movies - lumberjacks, serial killers, etc. Those chainsaws didn't have miles-long extension cords trailing behind them, and you probably saw them started up with a pull on a starter cord (like gas-powered lawnmowers). There are some electric or pneumatic chainsaws, but most run on gas.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
Or if you've never had reason to own a chainsaw, you just don't know something as simple as "they're gas powered". Fair enough.
I've never owned a chainsaw nor really had need to yet I knew it.

Keep in mind your fellow boardie ahirbhirav is half your age and claims to get a lot of clues. To repeat: you don't have to have experienced it to know about it. You just have to keep your ears open to the world around you. Led. (That's to really get your attention. )

Can I change my username to necrohippoflagellophile?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote:
Think of most anyone you've seen using a chainsaw on TV or in the movies - lumberjacks, serial killers
... Red Green ...

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Volante

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:
Think of most anyone you've seen using a chainsaw on TV or in the movies - lumberjacks, serial killers...
deadite fighters...

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

dhkendall wrote:I've never owned a chainsaw nor really had need to yet I knew it.
This is just two steps away from an Ogden Nash or Gelett Burgess verse!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:Think of most anyone you've seen using a chainsaw on TV or in the movies - lumberjacks, serial killers, etc. Those chainsaws didn't have miles-long extension cords trailing behind them, and you probably saw them started up with a pull on a starter cord (like gas-powered lawnmowers). There are some electric or pneumatic chainsaws, but most run on gas.
I never paid much attention the few times I saw someone in fiction use a chainsaw (not even Red Green), so I never noticed the cord being pulled. Even so, I don't think I'd have associated it with also-started-by-starter-cord gas lawnmowers. I'm just not the kind to put any thought into how things work. They work because they do, and when they don't…

cover it in duct tape until it works again (No, you already made the Red Green reference.)

ignore it and/or work around it as long as you possibly can (No, that's what your mom does, and that's why she is now in her second year of having to roll down the window just to open the car door)

call someone who DOES know how it works and have them fix it for you (No, that costs a lot of money. Now I understand why mom works around it all the time.)
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote:Think of most anyone you've seen using a chainsaw on TV or in the movies - lumberjacks, serial killers, etc. Those chainsaws didn't have miles-long extension cords trailing behind them, and you probably saw them started up with a pull on a starter cord (like gas-powered lawnmowers). There are some electric or pneumatic chainsaws, but most run on gas.
I never paid much attention
And this is the crux of the issue. My advice to your questions is always, always, and always will be, pay attention to the world around you. If either you don't want to pay attention or you are incapable of doing so for whatever reason, then don't ask "how do you know chainsaws need gas" if you never pay attention to that or anything else around you. We will not answer your questions (and many here have stopped doing so for that reason.). You can keep enjoying the show and being a boardie (I really want you to do both), but if you will not or cannot pay attention to the world around you then do not ask us "why" because we know you cannot or will not take our advice and thus most will feel there's no use listening to anything you say.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:(and many here have stopped doing so for that reason.)
If only the rest of them could resist ...

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Two surprises from this game -
3 college students don't know National Merit Scholarships?
On the Harvard list, Breakfast of Champions is no. 3 (!) and Cat's Cradle no. 39 but Slaughterhouse 5 is nowhere to be found...? billy pilgrim, where are you?

Volante

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:Two surprises from this game -
3 college students don't know National Merit Scholarships?
On the Harvard list, Breakfast of Champions is no. 3 (!) and Cat's Cradle no. 39 but Slaughterhouse 5 is nowhere to be found...? billy pilgrim, where are you?
I've never felt Slaugherhouse 5 deserves the position it has. Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle, Mother Night, Player Piano, Sirens of Titan and Welcome to the Monkey House (yes, it's a collection of short stories) I all preferred over S5.