Thursday, February 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6774, 2014-02-13

2014 College Championship quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Eric Turner, a senior from Vanderbilt University from Huntsville, Alabama
Tucker Pope, a junior from Texas A&M University from Lubbock, Texas
Julia Clark, a senior at Harvard University from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, everyone. This is the fourth of our quarter-final matches. As you know, the winners of the five games this week get to come back as semi-finalists next week, along with the four highest scorers among non-winners. Eric, Tucker, Julia --
oh, you all look so eager. Good luck. Here we go --the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories
for you. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET'S BEGIN THE LECTURE (3/5)
NAME THE CARMAKER (5/5)
HISTORIC AMERICANS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CANDY CRUSH (5/5)
VIDEO GAME VAULT (4/5)
THE OLD COLLEGE "-TRY" (5/5) (Alex: And finally, we'll give it the old college "tree," not "try," even though it's spelled T-R-Y. )

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tucker: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: 10 R, 1 W
Julia: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tucker found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Julia had no money, Tucker had $4,200, and Eric was at $1,200. Tucker wagered $2,015.

HISTORIC AMERICANS $1000: Like his cousin Charles, Thomas Pinckney served as governor of this state
(Tucker: What is New York?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tucker: $2,185
Eric: $1,200
Julia: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Turner is a senior at Vanderbilt But he applied to Vanderbilt at the very last moment and yet got in. Why did you wait so long, and what prompted you to make your application when you did?

Eric: I guess I just waited so long because for some reason I was like, "Oh, Vanderbilt --too close to home. Never going there," and my mom just kept pushing me and pushing me until I finally said, "Fine, I'll apply," two days before the deadline. Got in, was like, "Oh, whatever. Went up there and visited and fell in love with it.

Alex: Yeah. Now, how many other colleges or universities had you applied to?

Eric: 13, I think.

Alex: Uh-huh, and Vanderbilt was the last one, and it's the one that accepted you.

Eric: Yes, sir.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Tucker Pope is from Lubbock, Texas. He's a junior at Texas A&M who gave a high-school graduation speech that was a bit unusual.

Tucker: Yes, I was selected by my classmates to give a speech at our graduation, and I decided to compare my school and all the professors and clubs and administration to Hogwarts and various "Harry Potter" characters.

Alex: Uh, why did you do that?

Tucker: It was towards the end of --

Alex: What is it about your school that made you think of Hogwarts and witches and spells and all kinds of things
like that?

Tucker: The students at my high school liked to think we were gifted, so we kind of thought of ourselves kind of taken away from our families...

Alex: Okay. You thought --that's a good answer. You thought you were gifted.

Tucker: Yeah.

Alex: And that makes sense, not the other side of it.

Alex: All right, now we come to Julia Clark. She is from Canada. She's a senior at Harvard and a member of the Harvard debating team.

Julia: Yeah, that's right. I've been debating ever since I was in high school, and through the Harvard Speech and Parliamentary Debate Society, I've been able to travel all over the world.

Alex: How many young ladies are a part of the Harvard debating team?

Julia: Quite a lot, actually. We have a lot of good women on the team.

Alex: So, you have many debating teams, then?

Julia: Yeah, so, we are one organization that fields a number of teams to a variety of competitions.

Alex: Do you win most of your debates?

Julia: We're the current world champs.

Alex: Whoa, hello! [ laughs ] Hello. All right, good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET'S BEGIN THE LECTURE $400: "Born Together-Reared Apart" is a lecture by Dr. Nancy Segal about these people

LET'S BEGIN THE LECTURE $1000: 1,742 times Al Bartlett delivered his lecture on this world problem, especially as it relates to energy consumption
(Julia: What is global warming?)

VIDEO GAME VAULT $400: You don't need to be a spelunker to enjoy this Sega game named for the place spelunkers explore
(Julia: What are caves?)
[Initially ruled correct; reversed before Double Jeopardy! Round]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Eric: $5,600
Tucker: $4,785
Julia: $1,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NAME THE SHAKESPEARE PLAY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
STATE GOVERNORS (4/5)
THE ELEMENTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A (TAYLOR) SWIFT CATEGORY (4/5)
IN THE DICTONARY (2/5)
WHAT'S YOUR RANGE? (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tucker: 5 R, 0 W
Eric: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Julia had $2,200, Tucker had $4,785, and Eric was at $5,600. Julia made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

THE ELEMENTS $1200: Martin Klaproth discovered this element in 1789 & named it for a discovery of 1781
(Alex: Yes. Uranus...discovered in 1781.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 7th clue. Julia had $4,800, Tucker had $4,785, and Eric was at $7,200. Julia wagered $4,000.

NAME THE SHAKESPEARE PLAY $800: 2 young royal brothers go missing, never to be seen again
(Julia: What is The Comedy of Errors?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ELEMENTS $2000: Chemist Carl Scheele named the gas that bleached flowers dephlogisticated muriatic acid; we call it this element
(Alex: You've got it
in every gallon of bleach. What is [*]?)

NAME THE SHAKESPEARE PLAY $1600: It's 1415 & England is invading France

STATE GOVERNORS $800: This Californian has served as governor on 2 occasions, both times succeeding an actor

IN THE DICTONARY $400: The Greek for "stick" gives us this word for a microscopic one-celled organism that can cause disease

IN THE DICTONARY $800: Also a state capital, this word comes from the Latin for "foresight"

WHAT'S YOUR RANGE? $400: Pikes Peak

WHAT'S YOUR RANGE? $2000: K2 (it's what the "K" stands for)
(Julia: Um...What...are the Himalayas?)

IN THE DICTONARY $1600: It can mean "returning with", "selling for" or "charming"

A (TAYLOR) SWIFT CATEGORY $2000: "Someday I'll be living in a big old city, & all you're ever gonna be is" this

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Eric: $14,000
Tucker: $9,185
Julia: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC PLACES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Eric: Wager $4,371 to cover Tucker.
Tucker: You have the hope of surpassing Eric if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,816 to force Eric to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Julia.
Julia: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $6,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Administered by the Army, its first graves were dug by former slave James Parks, the only one buried there who was born on the site

FINAL SCORES
Julia: $6,800 + $6,799 = $13,599 (What is Arlington National Cemetery?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Tucker: $9,185 + $2,185 = $11,370 (What is Arlington National Cemetery?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Eric: $14,000 + $1 = $14,001 (What is Arlington Cemetery?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Eric: $14,000, 15 R, 1 W
Tucker: $11,200, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: $9,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $35,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Tucker: 18/59 = .305
Eric: 16/58 = .276
Julia: 15/60 = .250
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LET'S BEGIN THE LECTURE $200: The U.N. maintains a library of lectures on subjects such as the role of this money-lending institution established in 1944
(Tucker: What is the International
Monetary Foundation?)

HISTORIC AMERICANS $400: A little birdie told us
he's the artistic naturalist seen here

HISTORIC AMERICANS $800: Pioneering inventor seen here
in 1926 ready to rocket

THE OLD COLLEGE "-TRY" $200: A way to get in, or a submission to a contest
(Eric: What is an application?)

CANDY CRUSH $200: Though those candy may be crushed, our holiday spirits
are not
[The unscrambled picture is here.]

CANDY CRUSH $400: Oh, no! Phone home! Look what happened to these candies!

CANDY CRUSH $600: They're the fruity favorites
crushed up here

CANDY CRUSH $800: Get the sensation
of this candy crushed
(Tucker: What is York?)
(Alex: Be a little more specific.)
(Tucker: What are
[*]?)

CANDY CRUSH $1000: For Halloween,
it looks like someone played a trick on this treat

STATE GOVERNORS $1600: This New York governor is the son of a former governor of the state
(Eric: Who is Cuomo? Who is [*]?)

IN THE DICTONARY $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) A diaeresis indicates that a vowel is part of a separate syllable. This identical-looking mark used in many German words indicates a specific pronunciation

CORRECT RESPONSES
South Carolina
identical twins
population growth
The Cave
uranium
Richard III
chlorine
Henry V
Jerry Brown
bacterium
providence
the Rockies
the Karakoram
fetching
mean
Arlington National Cemetery
The World Bank
(John James) Audubon
(Robert) Goddard
entry
candy canes
Reese's Pieces
Skittles
York Peppermint Patties
candy corn
Andrew Cuomo
umlaut

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:45 am

Historic Places
Administered by the Army, its 1st graves were dug by former slave James Parks, the only one buried there who was born on the site.

Spoiler
Show
What is Arlington National Cemetery

Eric Turner (Vanderbilt): $14,000+$1=$14,001...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Julia Clark (Harvard): $6,800+$6,799=$13,599
Tucker Pope (Texas A&M): $9,185+$2,185=$11,370
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 pm

I've NHO World Bank. And Lecture only went further and further over my head with every succeeding clue. Should I need to know any of those guys?

Anyone expecting "These people" in Lecture for $400 to be about actual specific people?

Auto was tougher than I thought it would be. I don't think I could name a single make of Hyundai, Audi, or BMW, and I negged with Nissan on the last of those three.

"Gentry" was my only miss in "-Try". Didn't know it was even a word, just a last name.

Ran Candy Crush. Cute category.

====

Hydrogen vs. Oxygen seemed a total coin flip in Elements for $800, with nothing to narrow it down.

Shakespeare seemed tougher than usual. I didn't know Othello had his own play.

Way to not explain What's Your Range?, Alex. I went -1/5 there because I said Colorado at $400 and had no idea the rest of the way down.

That Dictionary category was just garbage. "Bacterium" was easy to overthink especially with the useless "stick" TOM. "State capital" is a very open-ended hint, and tough to narrow down any of the 50 into one that sounds like a noun. "Returning with", "Selling for", and "Charming" didn't connect at all, either.

Ran Taylor Swift even though I'm not actually a big fan of hers. No idea how I knew Lautner; must've been yet another thing I picked up from TV Tropes.

====

Blah blah ARMY blah blah GRAVES, gotta be Arlington National Cemetery.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Hydrogen vs. Oxygen seemed a total coin flip in Elements for $800, with nothing to narrow it down.
Hydrogen = atomic number 1 = really light. Everything to narrow it down.

I pondered Gettysburg, but figured that a VA cemetery was more likely to have a slave born there.

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:31 pm

In before the wagers are posted so I can say...

What was Tucker thinking with that wager?
アタックチャンス!

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:35 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Hydrogen vs. Oxygen seemed a total coin flip in Elements for $800, with nothing to narrow it down.
Hydrogen atoms are far lighter than oxygen atoms (hydrogen being element #1 on the periodic table) so it makes sense that hydrogen would contribute less to the mass than oxygen would.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Blah blah ARMY blah blah GRAVES, gotta be Arlington National Cemetery.
That was exactly my reasoning process. None of the other information in the clue meant anything to me (except I guess the mention of slaves narrows down the possible locations, but doesn't rule out Virginia). I wrote it down, tried to think of any other famous cemeteries I might be missing, and hoped for the best.

esrever

Post by esrever » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Picked up Lach trash on "chlorine", "Rocky Mountains" and "Providence"

I thought the clues for "Identical twins" and "population growth" were particularly tough.

Instaget FJ.

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Would they have taken "overpopulation" for that clue?

Also, is anyone else tired of categories that are basically "here is a picture of a thing, what is this thing?" Save that candy category for Kids Week. These are supposed to be adults.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Congratulations to Eric for the win. Eric is a friend of mine at Vanderbilt (before I graduated); we were on the quiz bowl team together.

mrparadise
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrparadise » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Is it just me or was Julia seriously screwed by that Shakespeare second row DD that, I submit, was worthy of at least a bottom row dd, maybe in a TOC. The others in that cat were, for me at least and I think for her, a breeze. I thought second row clues were supposed to be easier? I hope she gets a wild card.

naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:06 pm

zakharov wrote:Save that candy category for Kids Week. These are supposed to be adults.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure puzzles like that appeared in Disney Adventures magazine. Way too easy.
mrparadise wrote:Is it just me or was Julia seriously screwed by that Shakespeare second row DD
Way harder than I expected. I also thought of "Comedy of Errors" but dismissed it because the clue referred to the brothers never being seen again.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:07 pm

naurae29 wrote:
zakharov wrote:Save that candy category for Kids Week. These are supposed to be adults.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure puzzles like that appeared in Disney Adventures magazine. Way too easy.
I always found the "eye bogglers" in Disney Adventures to be incredibly hard. To this day, I have no clue what a "windshield cleaning fluid outlet" is.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

zakharov

Post by zakharov » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:08 pm

mrparadise wrote:Is it just me or was Julia seriously screwed by that Shakespeare second row DD that, I submit, was worthy of at least a bottom row dd, maybe in a TOC. The others in that cat were, for me at least and I think for her, a breeze. I thought second row clues were supposed to be easier? I hope she gets a wild card.
Shakespeare is probably my worst category but I feel like the Princes in the Tower are pretty well-known.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 pm

mrparadise wrote:Is it just me or was Julia seriously screwed by that Shakespeare second row DD that, I submit, was worthy of at least a bottom row dd, maybe in a TOC. The others in that cat were, for me at least and I think for her, a breeze. I thought second row clues were supposed to be easier? I hope she gets a wild card.
Those princes were children. I thought that was well-known element of Richard III. Looking at the archive, there have been five clues mentioning Richard killing the princes, but none since 2001.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:11 pm

In a way, she overthought it. The plot of Comedy of Errors, a less-familiar play, involves two sets of twin boys separated and lost at sea (but not never to be seen again. That is what comedy means: happy ending). Even if you haven't read Richard III, you could know that he is supposed to have had his two little nephews killed (because they were in line for the throne before he was). Her familiarity with the more obscure play got in the way of remembering that, I guess.

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 pm

econgator wrote:

I pondered Gettysburg, but figured that a VA cemetery was more likely to have a slave born there.
Arlington was so obvious, I thought it must be wrong and maybe the answer was Gettysburg. But the slave clue made me realize it wasn't likely to be a Northern state so it must be Arlington.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Instaget FJ again.

I thought I was going to be upset when I went back to double-check the wording of the clue, but nope, can't disagree with reversal on "caves."
mrparadise wrote:Is it just me or was Julia seriously screwed by that Shakespeare second row DD
Yeah, I call bull puckey on the 800-level Shakespeare DD. Other than that clue- which, like poor Julia, I didn't even have much of a guess on- I ran the category. Seemed the hardest of all of them to me. Bye bye $8,000!

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:33 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:I always found the "eye bogglers" in Disney Adventures to be incredibly hard. To this day, I have no clue what a "windshield cleaning fluid outlet" is.
Please let us know your license plate -- so if we see you ahead of us on the roadway, we know to immediately head in the opposite direction.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:35 pm

econgator wrote:

Parks was R.E. Lee's personal valet; US policy on use of the National Cemetery was that no one who had been born or lived on the property could be buried there, to keep Lee out; an exception to policy was made for Parks, who had been born there and lived in the shanty village known as 'Freetown', long since abolished. Confederate soldiers are buried there around their own service memorial, a gesture intended to defuse interstate hatred in Reconstruction.

The website well worth a virtual visit, so much history is buried there: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Histor ... story.aspx

Factoid: R.E.Lee did not ever own Arlington House; his wife inherited from her father, Geo Washington Parke Custis, when he died in 1857; her mother mary Lee Fitzhugh had died in 1853, and both of them were already buried on the property when the US Government acquired it through a series of tax lien sales after Bobby Lee skipped town. The property was purchased and built by George Washington Parke Custis, Martha Washington's son by her first husband who died; when she later married GW, GWPC was adopted as George W's heir. He filled it up with GW's personal effects and war memorabilia.

And yes Hydrogen has atomic weight = number = 1; even with 2 H in H2O the oxygen (atomic No.8) at weight = 16 weighs 8 times as much. Remember there's a neutron for each proton in most of the smaller numbered elements, rule of thumb the weight is approximately twice the atomic number (disclaimer for hecklers: not always and not exactly!)

Ich liebe das Uemlaut! Yay for Deutsch sprechers! I thought Shakespeare's were all well written clues appropriate for college tourney. Tempest = 'island' is a total Pavlov; 12th Night, or 'What you Will,' = absurd comedy about crossdressing; Othello is pretty standard, stock material; this was not difficult; Richard III is well-known as the evil uncle who allegedly offed his nephews in the Tower, but nothing could ever be proved; and Henry V: 1415 = Agincourt (TS!)

The scrambled picture category was just silly; how to tell M&M's from Reese's Pieces all busted up like that?! At least we got candy corn and my kid knew Skittles it's her fav candy lol. Only one I can claim full credit for the shout-out was 'York Peppermint Patties' b/c I "got the sensation" lol! Was 5/5 on cars, comes from being a motorhead, lol. I wish they would do muscle cars more often; I guess Alex is not into old iron, sigh. Bring back my GTO and Roadrunner! :cry:

I was very impressed these teens really played well, all three of them, very sharp, very quick, very good players. Only one alibi was silly "cave vs. caves" poor thing and she took it well, never blinked or complained. Very good players, I wonder if all 3 can get in with the wild card spots given these scores. :?:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!