Thursday, February 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, February 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

esrever wrote:Amazing Arthur just continues to dominate. What an awesome game today!

Picked up Lach trash on "Monsanto"
RAID and Miracle-Gro were pretty bad guesses but I didn't know the answer either.
Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fishercat »

Perfect day for Comcast to completely glitch on taping Jeopardy. Sounds like I missed a good one (saw the easy FJ).
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Way to go Arthur! Complete domination. Next week is BoD week, and I might be enjoying this "regular" week even more.

No respect (or even recognition) from Alex to Roger - again! You would think after you teased him during the ToC he might remember the one day record...
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi all -
I watched today's game and did not enjoy it at all. Most of you seem to be in Arthur's camp. Admittedly he's brilliant and plays the game brilliantly. I was rooting for him to be a 5-time champion, actually. But since then, I haven't really enjoyed watching the other players get slaughtered. That's what it's felt like the last few games, today's especially. There hasn't been much competition and - to me, anyway, it has taken away some of the enjoyment of watching.

I feel like I'd like to see someone else get a chance now.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Roger Craig had a pre-FJ total of 47,000 in his second game (in which he set the record after safely wagering 30,000).

Was Arthur's pre-FJ total today the second-highest of all time?

Very nicely done. I all but applauded while watching my TV alone at home.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

I want to say Ken Jennings had over 50k before final Jeopardy the day he got $75,000 the first time. I also think at least one teen contestant had over 50k going into final.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

That was impressive! Well done, Arthur.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

The bad news is that I had to watch the guy from my hometown fight an increasingly hopeless battle against Arthur (and no, I don't know Chris despite Chaparral being tiny). The good news is that I got a chance to see someone pass the $200K mark, which is my benchmark for "the next Ken Jennings".

Most of my gets were toward the top of the board, with nothing standing out in particular. Boy, I'm out of the loop...
Zhankfor
Valued Contributor

Post by Zhankfor »

The thing about watching Arthur that makes me happiest is that my Coryat in these last few games seems to have caught up (and beyond) my average, despite his Bouncing. In his first few games it got demolished. Maybe I'm getting better?
http://www.threeroadstrivia.com - Analysis of a J! clue every M-W-F. Come tell me what I missed!
Recent Categories: Vaccines, Zodiac Constellations, Women Authors, Chemical Element Pairs, CNN World Languages, The Spanish-American War
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

The last two days Arthur has begun to morph into Ken Jennings--it's really scary. I'm not particularly happy about it either--I wasn't thrilled to see Ken wipe out opponents every day. However, that's just me as a viewer, nothing against Arthur who deserves all the praise he gets here. Not sure why Arthur didn't go for a bigger payday in FJ though. He could not have gone for the record safely, but he could have beaten Ken for second place.

A friend of mine just wrote me that he met Arthur in a D.C. Shorts class a year ago (shorts as in film shorts). Said that he was unassuming.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

UniquePerspective wrote:Is $58,200 the #3 score of all time? It seems like it might be. Regardless, very well done Arthur.
I believe it's the fourth highest. There's Roger Craig's $77K, Ken Jenning's $75K, and Skyler Hornback's $66,600 from last year's Kids Week. Although, if we're talking regular play, then I guess he would be the third highest.

Congrats on another dominant game, Arthur! There may be a lot of controversy about your play, but you've been very impressive. Hopefully you can make it nine in a row tomorrow!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Agreed, another great game from Arthur, with plenty of Lach trash to stoke the fires of my ego. Instaget FJ. I wonder if the Landmarks category scared Arthur from betting more?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, Arthur, you got klutz? You Chuish? You don't look Chuish.

And ... just wow. Well done, sir.
chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 »

I don't think it's fair to discount Skylar by saying "regular play". The structure of Kid's Week was the same as a normal game.
WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon »

Don't forget Andy Richter's $68,000 blowout.

I don't care what others think, I'm impressed with Arthur's recent domination and hope he sticks around for awhile longer.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

chalupabatman786 wrote:I don't think it's fair to discount Skylar by saying "regular play". The structure of Kid's Week was the same as a normal game.
I guess you've got a point. Either way, $66,600 is still an impressive one-day total for anyone.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

My wife doesn't always watch J! with me (nor is she a bearded man who drinks Dos Equuis), but she did today and got to see the magic of Arthur for the first time. I filled her in a bit on the Arthur phenomenon, but we were both well and truly impressed at his performance today. (As I explained to her "not even Arthur Chu is usually *this* good!")

Something she said made me wonder, and I know there are several boardies who can answer this: we've seen Arthur compared in lists to other champions, for example, on the list of games won, on the list of total monies won (10th before today's show), on the list of biggest one-day totals (3rd, 4th, or 5th depending on what is counted), but where is he on the list on average money per game? (i.e. Ken Jenning's number would be $33,609.33 per game, which is $2,520,700 (his regular-game total) divided by 75). I'd also be interested in knowing where Arthur stood before today and after today's game, as she made this observation before we knew what kind of total he'd end today with.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I was expecting an extra music piece on Saloon for $1000, so I didn't realize I had to listen to the music UNDER the clue.
I thought that was one of the most clever clues in the history of the show. Rewards people who really pay attention, so no surprise Arthur got it.
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Well, Maryland's bird may be an Oriole because of the Baltimore Orioles… What, how can you be more specific in oriole? There's only one kind of oriole, isn't there?" Duuuuuuuuh… I love how I can be right in front of the answer but still not get it.
I had exactly the same thought process, TPH.

SAotD (almost): City of David. Someone (Arthur) eventually got it, but only after a neg, and a (by J! standards) long pause before a correct ring-in. Surprised "City of David" isn't more well known considering how much Jerusalem has been in the public conscious and the media in the last forever.

Easy FJ, especially if you know that Hoover (/ Boulder) Dam was built to supply America's second largest city with power.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sbraverm

Post by sbraverm »

great game but what I'm really wondering is where Claire got her dress; I really want it!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jwatcher16 wrote:Hi all -
I watched today's game and did not enjoy it at all. Most of you seem to be in Arthur's camp. Admittedly he's brilliant and plays the game brilliantly. I was rooting for him to be a 5-time champion, actually. But since then, I haven't really enjoyed watching the other players get slaughtered. That's what it's felt like the last few games, today's especially. There hasn't been much competition and - to me, anyway, it has taken away some of the enjoyment of watching.

I feel like I'd like to see someone else get a chance now.
If the show wants to do that, they can seek out competent competition. Lot of these folks aren't very good. Arthur is clearly a dominant player, but there's also plenty of Lach trash still on the board, and these yo-yos aren't picking up any of it.

I don't feel sorry for people who get slaughtered. It's an act of ego to appear on Jeopardy. Either you want to make money, or be seen on TV, or you think you're smart and you want that validation. Or maybe you want to have some side career you want to promote.

So these folks aren't getting what they expected, but it's also not unfair what has happened to them.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Come on man, there are many, many smart people who

-have never been on TV before and perform oddly under the lights

-have buzzer problems and can't ring in

-get a board from hell

I'm not saying you have to throw a pity party for the losers, but a lot of these people traveled a long way to fulfill what must be something of an ambition and ran into a buzzsaw. Spare a thought.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS