Friday, February 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6785, 2014-02-28

Arthur Chu game 9.

CONTESTANTS
Dawn Volmert, a controller from Troy, Missouri
Semret Lemma, an MBA student from Arlington, Virginia
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst and voiceover artist from Broadview Heights, Ohio (whose 8-day cash winnings total $238,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentleman. When you've done what Arthur has done--won eight games in a row and the amount of money he's won--you are no longer known as just a Jeopardy! champion, you become a statistic. He is now number three in cash winnings among our champions in regular games. He trails only 2 players--one who won 19 games, and then, of course, Ken Jennings, who won 74. Semret and Dawn, welcome aboard, and good luck. Here we go! Categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CELEBRITY VETERANS (5/5)
THE COOKIE AISLE (4/5)
STATE BY COUNTIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ACTUAL 911 CALLS (5/5)
RUSSIAN TO JUDGMENT (4/5)
LEADER OF THE "PACK" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Dawn: 9 R, 3 W
Semret: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Arthur had $1,800, Semret had $2,400, and Dawn was at $1,400. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

STATE BY COUNTIES $1000: Nez Perce,
Lincoln,
Gem
(Alex: [*] is the state. Well-done!)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Arthur: $3,000
Semret: $3,000
Dawn: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Dawn Volmert is from Troy, Missouri and she will soon be going to Haiti--

Dawn: Yes, sir.

Alex: --to do some charitable work. I want to hear about that.

Dawn: Yes, I'll be going with the Global Orphan Project, and a lot of times, the money that we raise gets sent there for jobs. So what we do is we go there and we help the caretakers, so I get to go to a tropical island in the middle of the winter and play with some cute orphans.

Alex: Okay.

Dawn: It's not all that bad.

Alex: It's not an adoption agency.

Dawn: No.

Alex: It's helping the orphans on the island itself.

Dawn: Exactly.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Semret Lemma. We're talking about kids now. You and your wife, uh, in addition to you being a contestant on the program today, which is good news, have got some other good news.

Semret: Yeah, we are expecting our first child--my beautiful wife, Arianna, and I--and, uh, believe it or not, this isn't the most exciting thing to happen to me today. But we just found out we're gonna be having a baby boy, so we're really excited about that, and you and everybody here are tied for the fourth people to know that piece of news.

Alex: Okay, thank you very much for that honor.

Alex: Arthur Chu, you've won a lot of money, and you've already earmarked some of it to help your wife. Tell me.

Arthur: She's working on a novel, Alex, so, um, I wanted to be able to help, you know, support her while she's doing that.

Alex: What kind of a novel is it?

Arthur: It is a fantasy novel. She is working on getting the manuscript together. She has all the pieces, just got to put them together, and it's about talking dogs in the ancient Near East.

Alex: Talking dogs... in the ancient Near East?

Arthur: [Simultaneously] The ancient Near East. Yes.

Alex: So it's reality. Okay. Good.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE COOKIE AISLE $1000: This shortbread cookie has a literary heritage--it's named for a 19th century novel heroine
(Alex: Gotta love 'em--the [*].)

STATE BY COUNTIES $800: Petroleum,
Lincoln,
Big Horn
(Dawn: What is Nebraska?)
(Semret: What is Illinois?)

RUSSIAN TO JUDGMENT $200: Exiled in Siberia in 1899, this man wrote (ironically) "The Development of Capitalism in Russia"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Arthur: $7,200
Dawn: $3,000
Semret: $2,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RIP VAN WINKLE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PHOTOGRAPHY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHO SANG IT FIRST? (5/5)
MEDICAL HISTORY (4/5)
SAME VOWEL WORDS (5/5) (Alex: Only one of the five vowels will appear in each response)
SPEECH (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Semret: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Arthur: 10 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Dawn: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Semret snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Arthur had $10,800, Semret had $10,200, and Dawn was at $6,200. Semret wagered $1,200.

PHOTOGRAPHY $800: In 1929 this 2-word phrase was coined for Erich Salomon's spontaneous photo technique, later used by Allen Funt
(Semret: What is snap shot?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Arthur had $11,600, Semret had $9,400, and Dawn was at $6,200. Arthur wagered $8,000.

RIP VAN WINKLE $1600: The strange men playing 9-pins were said to be this British captain & his crew, who would visit the area every 20 years

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MEDICAL HISTORY $2000: In 1798 this British doctor not only created the smallpox vaccine, he also coined the word "vaccine"
(Arthur: Who is Salk?)

SPEECH $2000: In 1588, in a speech to the troops at Tilbury, this ruler warned, "Let tyrants fear"

PHOTOGRAPHY $1600: To rate film speed, ASA has largely been replaced by this other 3-letter designation with "S" in the middle

SPEECH $800: (Joe Biden delivers the clue.) As vice president this man gave a speech to West Berliners just days after construction of the wall began, pledging protection of access to the city
(Arthur: Who is Truman?)

RIP VAN WINKLE $800: This character is said to be "as much henpecked as his master"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $22,400
Semret: $11,400
Dawn: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MODERN DAY SUFFIXES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Arthur: Wager $401 to cover Semret, but no more than $7,599 so as not to fall behind Dawn's doubled score.
Semret: You have the hope of surpassing Arthur if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $11,001 to force Arthur to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Dawn.
Dawn: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Dating from 1973, this 4-letter suffix indicates a person or thing that has become associated with public scandal

FINAL SCORES
Dawn: $7,400 + $4,001 = $11,401 (What is -gate?) (3rd place)
Semret: $11,400 + $10,600 = $22,000 (What is -gate?) (2nd place)
Arthur: $22,400 + $400 = $22,800 (What is -gate?) (238201-day champion: $22,800)
(Alex: And Arthur gets to relax for a week because next week, we come back with our '90s tournament. Be sure to watch those players returning to our program.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $15,200, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 6 W
Semret: $12,600, 15 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Dawn: $7,400, 12 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 25/60 = .417
Semret: 16/59 = .271
Dawn: 13/58 = .224
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
RUSSIAN TO JUDGMENT $800: Nicholas wooed Alexandra with these, Russian for "pancakes"
(Arthur: What are... oh, I'm sorry.)
(Dawn: What are latkes?)

ACTUAL 911 CALLS $600: In 2013 Connecticut police had to post online, missing "Breaking Bad" is not a 911 issue, please call this provider, not us
(Dawn: What is Time-Warner?)
(Arthur: What is AMC?)

CELEBRITY VETERANS $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, AZ.) Among the men who flew in the Avenger torpedo bomber in World War II was this Cool Hand Luke; color blindness in his famous blue eyes kept him from becoming a pilot, but not from flying in the Pacific as a tail gunner

WHO SANG IT FIRST? $800: This song was a hit for Ben E. King in 1961, for John Lennon in 1975 & for Ben again in 1986
(Arthur: What is "Money"?)

MEDICAL HISTORY $800: In the 19th century Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis "gave birth" to antisepsis in this medical field
(Arthur: What is "obstretics"?)
(Alex: Yeah, you put an "R" in there, Arthur. Sorry we had to punish you for that.)

PHOTOGRAPHY $400: It's the location where the iconic Pulitzer-winning photo seen here was taken

CORRECT RESPONSES
Idaho
Lorna Doone
Montana
Vladimir Lenin
candid camera
(Henry) Hudson
Edward Jenner
Queen Elizabeth I
ISO
LBJ (Lyndon Baines Johnson)
Rip's dog
-gate
blinis
your cable company
Paul Newman
"Stand By Me"
obstetrics
Yankee Stadium

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Modern Day Suffixes
Dating from 1973, this 4-letter suffix indicates a person or thing that has become associated with public scandal.

SpoilerShow
What is -gate?

Arthur Chu: $22,400+$400=$22,800...now a 9-day champion with $261,000
Semret Lemma: $11,400+$10,600=$22,000
Dawn Volmert: $7,400+$4,001=$11,401
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:58 pm

A little bit of a challenge today. Arthur really had a nice comeback today. Good job, Arthur!

geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:28 pm

I probably shouldn't have looked at this, but generally it may be a bad idea to post the result of the game (or something implying the result of the game) without some sort of spoiler tag before many people see it in the evening.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant

evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:42 pm

geolawyerman wrote:I probably shouldn't have looked at this, but generally it may be a bad idea to post the result of the game (or something implying the result of the game) without some sort of spoiler tag before many people see it in the evening.
In his (her?) defense, it does say "SPOILERS" in block capitals within the thread title.

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:21 pm

OK, Arthur, curious what mental route you took to get
SpoilerShow
Idaho so quickly in the States by Counties category, but gratified as it's my native state.
Pursuant to the above exchange, btw, I'm only using the spoiler tag because many folks here get more perturbed at spoiling content of clues early in the thread than at spoiling the competitive outcome.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:55 pm

The thread title says it has spoilers and most threads indicate who won early in the thread.

The others made it a better game than we've seen this week, but still a strong win by Arthur.

Did Semret not run the music category? There was no applause for him.

Congrats to Semret on the happy family news. I think his youth cost him in not knowing who Allen Funt was. Nice get by Arthur on the Sleepy Hollow DD. I had never heard of Hudson being connected to the story.

I can see his logic in his FJ bet, but he should have gone all in on FJ, he is not going to win with $800. Although I was hoping Arthur would miss to give us a back door tie.

lieph82

Post by lieph82 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Bamaman wrote: I can see his logic in his FJ bet, but he should have gone all in on FJ, he is not going to win with $800. Although I was hoping Arthur would miss to give us a back door tie.
I think this is a situation where the last 4 games being locks may have cost Semret over 20 grand. If he didn't know that Arthur bets to tie, I think the bet was a good one. There'd be no difference between betting $10,600 and betting $11,400 if Arthur bet $401 and was right, but how many times have we seen the third place contestant bet all but $1? Not betting it all easily could have netted him a thousand extra bucks for second.

Also, is it just me or have the finals been easier than usual this week?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:27 pm

I think I got flustered because my DVR was behaving differently. Apparently if you hit "OK" on a show that's upcoming, it'll bring up the record menu, but if you hit "OK" on a program that's live, it'll skip to that channel. It did that four times before I figured out what was going on, and when I finally got it to record, it was lagging when I tried to flip back to WNEM. Just let me record Steven Universe, damn it!

911 for $600 was easy to overthink. I thought "Cable company" but wondered if they wanted any more.

Stupid misses at the first break: Bong for hookah, latke for blini (NHOI). Knew Ed

"What the heck kind of cookie is nautical?!" I just didn't process "ahoy" as nautical since it can be used in other contexts. NHO Milanos that i know of, but got Lach Trash on Lorna Doone.

Lenin was pretty TOM-free at $200 IMO.

"What kind of cookie could be double stuf?" Oh, duh. The kind that everyone likes but me. Never did like Oreos.

Should've run "Pack", but I forgot the category at $200 (how do I forget the category between the call and the end of the clue?!) and clammed on Packet.

County was tough. I went 0/5 because I wasn't sure on any of them. Lincoln could be any state, practically. Since so many of the others had obvious traps like that, I didn't process Leavenworth and Taos as one-way streets to Kansas and NM respectively.

====

Got the top and bottom in Who Sang It First, but clammed on "Stand by Me" since I wasn't sure if the date was right.

Clammed on Ansel Adams. Overvalued at $1200.

Same Vowels for $1600. "Well, it's not bacchanalia since that has an A, what could it be?" Deeeeeerrrrrrp.

Lach Trash: Candid Camera.

What was supposed to lead to Yankee Stadium on Photos for $400? Lots of teams had a "3" back then, didn't they? And I see no other visual clues of any kind in the clue.

====

"Blah blah scandal". I had "-gate" before Alex even got three words into the clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead to Yankee Stadium on Photos for $400? Lots of teams had a "3" back then, didn't they? And I see no other visual clues of any kind in the clue.
Babe Ruth?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Budphrey wrote:OK, Arthur, curious what mental route you took to get
SpoilerShow
Idaho so quickly in the States by Counties category, but gratified as it's my native state.
Pursuant to the above exchange, btw, I'm only using the spoiler tag because many folks here get more perturbed at spoiling content of clues early in the thread than at spoiling the competitive outcome.
That was my only miss. I had no way of getting to that.
Bamaman wrote:Nice get by Arthur on the Sleepy Hollow DD. I had never heard of Hudson being connected to the story.
Nor had I, but it takes place in NY, so ...

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29 pm

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead to Yankee Stadium on Photos for $400? Lots of teams had a "3" back then, didn't they? And I see no other visual clues of any kind in the clue.
Babe Ruth?
You mean the guy whose back was to the camera, and who was wearing a number literally hundreds of other players have worn?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Pinstripes, no name.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:31 pm

You guys responding to TPH... sigh. Silly people. :lol:

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:31 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
Babe Ruth?
You mean the guy whose back was to the camera, and who was wearing a number literally hundreds of other players have worn?
Yeah, him. It's an iconic shot. Can't help it that you don't know it.

Tacos

Post by Tacos » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Hmm, not sure why Arthur would bet to tie with Semret? He was quick on the buzzer, led for portions of the game and it took a massive bet on DD to pull away from him. I would not really want to face him again. I guess it's just ideological with Arthur at this point.

esrever

Post by esrever » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Arthur wasn't as strong today, but he had a strong comeback. Congrats, Arthur!

Picked up Lach trash on "Lorna Doone", "Montana", "Jenner", "Elizabeth I" and "ISO"

I precalled FJ, and it was an instaget.

tonypct
Contributor

Post by tonypct » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:37 pm

New member here. I love Jeopardy and glad I found this Forum.

Is it just me or have the FJ's been fairly easy, for a FJ question? I thought tonight's was incredibly easy.

Arthur is extremely smart and plays the board well, but since he is so good, I have been rooting for the underdog. Was really rooting for Semret to take him down tonight. And I believe Bamaman is correct. Semret ran the Music category but got no applause for that. I think Alex didn't realize it.

Oh well. Now have to wait a week to hope an underdog wins.

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I'd like to see TPH and Arthur Chu in a sports trivia contest. As the penultimate clue in DJ! in the $200 slot, Arthur didn't even buzz in on the Yankee Stadium clue which cost him a runaway victory. (An old baseball photo asking which stadium it is taking place in, good chance it's in The Bronx.)

I bet some people will be happy with Arthur mispronunciation on obstetrics given the chatter his diction has gotten in previous games.

Might I add, I've noticed that Arthur isn't as fast on the buzzer as other multiple-day J! champions, losing multiple 3-way tossup clues. However, his wager and response on the last DD helped him out.

I know all the game theory and everything, but why not wager $401 knowing how well of a player Semret was? Before Arthur's $8,000 DD, it was a close game.