Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ChemTeacher wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who remembers the following movie blooper. In the film Miracle on 34th Street, there is an infamous scene in which Kris Kringle tells Fred Gailey about how familiar he is with the standard psychological examination. He says to Fred, "Who was vice president under John Quincy Adams? (pause) Daniel D. Tompkins. I'll bet your Mr. Sawyer doesn't know that."
I remember it and the thing that always bugged me is why they would ask a trivia question as part of a psychological exam? I figure the only "sane" answer to that question would be "who cares?" If you actually know the correct answer you are clearly insane. :)

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who remembers the following movie blooper. In the film Miracle on 34th Street, there is an infamous scene in which Kris Kringle tells Fred Gailey about how familiar he is with the standard psychological examination. He says to Fred, "Who was vice president under John Quincy Adams? (pause) Daniel D. Tompkins. I'll bet your Mr. Sawyer doesn't know that."
I remember it and the thing that always bugged me is why they would ask a trivia question as part of a psychological exam? I figure the only "sane" answer to that question would be "who cares?" If you actually know the correct answer you are clearly insane. :)
In that case, old Kris really foxed them, didn't he?

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
I've had the misfortune of never seeing this film, but I actually recall this bizarre anecdote from it.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Was that really Dutch he was speaking to the little girl?

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

opusthepenguin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
In that case, old Kris really foxed them, didn't he?
Maybe he was remembering the 1830 lunacy exam.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Woof wrote:
jpahk wrote:those weren't [cryptic crossword] clues, but i guess they were cryptic [crossword clues]. in any event, i enjoyed them. i wish i could say as much for the wordplay category in the first round—after lumbago it was a whole lot of "huh?".
You and me both, Joon. I had precalled Fargo and Winnebago, but most of those lower value clues left me scratching my head (plumbago at least I'd heard of before)
I only know like, three state mottos, so I have no idea what orifice I pulled "dirigo" out of. Should've known Tommyknockers since the Nostalgia Critic reviewed it, but I only saw that review once.

Surprised at how many people fell for Rotten Tomatoes on the Yelp clue. I guess it's because I parsed "real people" as "ordinary people such as you", and RT's main thrust is aggregating professional critics' reviews along with the general public's, so I imagined that if RT had a slogan, it would emphasize the "professional critics" aspect first.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

BobF wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I remember in one of his original games he was running a category and kept saying "next one down" rather than the dollar amount. He asked if any were left after he was done and Alex said no.
I'd imagine he'd have a lot of difficulty if he had to play against Arthur Chu.

(Apologies if this is insensitive to the non-sighted).
On the contrary, I would imagine he'd be less flummoxed than a typical sighted player. Remember, the main strategic advantage of the Forrest Bounce (or Rubin Bounce, Chu Bounce, whatever you want to call it) is it keeps your opponents off balance because they don't know where to look on the board to read the next clue. Eddie can hear the category and then hear the clue, and proceed accordingly. Of course he would have a hard time if he wants to hunt for DDs, and against a Bouncing player he may more frequently call for clues that are already gone, but that's a difficulty for the host/producers/editors more than for Eddie himself.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

goatman wrote: He was nicknamed the Sage of Montpelier (#2819), and "James the Second" (#3259).
Thanks for the rest of that, but the "Sage of Montpelier" was Madison.
I'm smart and I want respect.

Sage on the Hudson

Return of the prodigal players

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

dhkendall wrote:Not done watching, but I'd say that the small "ping" for Eddie's benefit was also a great benefit for us at home - I found a few times I was ringing in really early (relatively speaking) that I wouldn't have known otherwise. (The only reason I do play while clicking an oversized novelty pen is to practice my ringing in skills for the show, so knowing when I'm early or late is the last piece of the puzzle.)
As most probably know, there are lights on either side of the game board -- not visible to the home audience -- that, when lit, signal when the players may ring in.

When I played in the show's first year, 1984" there were no lights; we were free to ring in the moment the clue was revealed. It's a situation that lasted only the one year; I suspect the reason for the change was twofold: it resulted in too many incorrect responses that tended to slow down the game, and Alex probably didn't like having his reading of the clues pre-empted by players too eager to lock out the competition ahead of actually knowing whether they knew what they needed to know to respond correctly.

A bit less than twenty years ago I had the opportunity to ask Jeopardy!'s then-producer, George Vosburgh, whether those were, in fact, the reasons for the rule change with the start of the 1985-86 season. He said he didn't know -- he hadn't been with the show at the beginning -- and, while that's certainly possible, I also doubt that he was willing to confirm the latter suspicion.

The earlier rule was so radically different from what came later that we, in 1984, were playing what's almost a different game, and I contend that because of that, those of us who appeared then deserve to be on the show again.

It's about time.
Last edited by Sage on the Hudson on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Magna wrote:Maybe he was remembering the 1830 lunacy exam.
Maybe they thought the real Kris Kringle would know the answer to that question.

jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

darkgreenblue wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:I'd like to get an avatar, but an admin has to enable it and I don't know what I should do. Please and thanks.
Are you sure? I added my avatar just a few days ago, in the User Control Panel, and there was no approval required.
Hi (and thanks for being helpful).

admin did contact and told me to update my settings. I just did and I see above my avatar has appeared! I also think somehow I didn't send the PM or sent it incorrectly as it never got received. I hope I'll get everything down one of these days. :-)

Thanks. It's nice to have some visual - some of you all have some great ones.

billiej

Post by billiej »

reddpen wrote:
billiej wrote:Purely superficial observation, but how has Rachael managed not to age in 20 years?
Similarly superficial retort: You're one to talk. Mm-mm, smart women of a certain age...
Thanks that's too kind. You don't know what I looked like 20 years ago, I could have really gone downhill, haha! Well, personally I think I've improved with age but that may be wishful thinking. :lol:

At any rate, I'd still like to know Rachael's secret...

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote:Pelee on Hawaii sounded funny until I thought about Pele the deity being more reasonable. My guess was Diamondhead in trying to make it one word since it's been way too many years since I've seen The Diamond Head Game hosted by Bob Eubanks.
Tonight I saw a headline on AOL about beloved game show host died. It's sad to see Geoff Edwards (83) passed since I watched many of the shows he hosted. I was happy that it was not Eubanks since I had had the recent mention of him.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

silverscreentest wrote: The only currently active volcanoes are on the island of Hawaii. There's one on Maui that last erupted 500 years ago. When you hear of an eruption on the news, the usually say it's Kilauea, but it's probably along the cracks between Kilauea and the ocean. The National Park Service runs a hotel on the lip of Kilauea that was first opened in 1846. Eruptions on Hawaii don't come on suddenly, but ooze out, so there's time to evacuate.
Assuming that you want to stay near a place like this, it must smell terrible. http://www.wjla.com/pictures/2014/03/da ... -2213.html
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Mathew5000, I thought the players see the clue on larger screens, not on the board.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

georgespelvin wrote:
silverscreentest wrote: The only currently active volcanoes are on the island of Hawaii. There's one on Maui that last erupted 500 years ago. When you hear of an eruption on the news, the usually say it's Kilauea, but it's probably along the cracks between Kilauea and the ocean. The National Park Service runs a hotel on the lip of Kilauea that was first opened in 1846. Eruptions on Hawaii don't come on suddenly, but ooze out, so there's time to evacuate.
Assuming that you want to stay near a place like this, it must smell terrible. http://www.wjla.com/pictures/2014/03/da ... -2213.html
I don't remember it smelling a lot there. But it's been a long time, and other parts of the crater were highly sulfurous.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Interesting article in the Washington Post about Monday's game, particularly from Eddie's point-of-view. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/loc ... t/?hpid=z4
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That's Robert behind Eddie and Johnny.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

koam wrote:Mathew5000, I thought the players see the clue on larger screens, not on the board.
nope, the contestants read the clues on the monitors on the board. the one exception is that pictures or videos show up on a somewhat larger monitor to the side of the game board. when there's a lot of text in the clue (hello, clue crew!), sometimes only an abridged version of it shows up on the screen at all.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Pelee on Hawaii sounded funny until I thought about Pele the deity being more reasonable. My guess was Diamondhead in trying to make it one word since it's been way too many years since I've seen The Diamond Head Game hosted by Bob Eubanks.
Tonight I saw a headline on AOL about beloved game show host died. It's sad to see Geoff Edwards (83) passed since I watched many of the shows he hosted. I was happy that it was not Eubanks since I had had the recent mention of him.
Jim Lange died last Tuesday 2/25. Can't remember two game show hosts dying this close together(eight days). DIck Clark and Pyramid producer Bob Stewart died 16 days apart two years ago, followed by Richard Dawson about a month after Stewart.