Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Return of the prodigal players

Post by legendneverdies »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
A bit less than twenty years ago I had the opportunity to ask Jeopardy!'s then-producer, George Vosburgh, whether those were, in fact, the reasons for the rule change with the start of the 1985-86 season. He said he didn't know -- he hadn't been with the show at the beginning -- and, while that's certainly possible, I also doubt that he was willing to confirm the latter suspicion.

The earlier rule was so radically different from what came later that we, in 1984, were playing what's almost a different game, and I contend that because of that, those of us who appeared then deserve to be on the show again.

It's about time.

George Vosburgh produced the 1978-79 J! revival and was working on $ale until sometime in 1987 when he took over the J! producer chair, replacing Alex Trebek. SOmeone from the first Trebek season should have been in the 80s BotD. Steve Rogitz(the only surviving member of the 1985 TofC finals), Elise Beraru, Mike Day, Paul Crozier, somebody.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

Ron Black and Elise are my top two choices from that tournament. They were also the top two UToC rejects.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

jpahk wrote:
koam wrote:Mathew5000, I thought the players see the clue on larger screens, not on the board.
nope, the contestants read the clues on the monitors on the board. the one exception is that pictures or videos show up on a somewhat larger monitor to the side of the game board. when there's a lot of text in the clue (hello, clue crew!), sometimes only an abridged version of it shows up on the screen at all.
I always read the clue from the larger monitor, because I knew I'd be facing the right place in case it was a long clue or a video/picture clue. And because it was larger.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

sarah0114 wrote:
jpahk wrote:
koam wrote:Mathew5000, I thought the players see the clue on larger screens, not on the board.
nope, the contestants read the clues on the monitors on the board. the one exception is that pictures or videos show up on a somewhat larger monitor to the side of the game board. when there's a lot of text in the clue (hello, clue crew!), sometimes only an abridged version of it shows up on the screen at all.
I always read the clue from the larger monitor, because I knew I'd be facing the right place in case it was a long clue or a video/picture clue. And because it was larger.

So which is it? Is there a larger monitor that shows all the clues or not? Has something changed? Who's been to a taping recently? I've never been.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

koam wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:
jpahk wrote:
So which is it? Is there a larger monitor that shows all the clues or not? Has something changed? Who's been to a taping recently? I've never been.
There was a larger monitor in November 2013. I'm not sure that Joon is disputing that there is a larger monitor, but he seems to be saying that only certain clues are displayed there. During my games at least, all the clues were displayed on the larger monitor. Some form of the clue is displayed on the game board as well as the monitor, but in the case of long clues it's usually truncated and in the case of video clues I think it's a truncated transcript of what the clue-reader is saying.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Some, you included, say there is another, larger monitor that displays all clues. Joon says that there is another larger monitor that only displays special clues, like images and videos, but that regular clues are only seen on the board.

I asked if something changed and what the arrangement is recently. Thanks for your recent observation from Nov 2013. It seems that all clues do appear on a single, larger screen. Maybe at a different point in time that wasn't the case.

Thus, the issue (raised by Mathew5000) of "not knowing where to look when a competitor is bouncing" isn't a real issue. All contestants can choose to look at the same larger screen for all clues.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

koam wrote:Some, you included, say there is another, larger monitor that displays all clues. Joon says that there is another larger monitor that only displays special clues, like images and videos, but that regular clues are only seen on the board.

I asked if something changed and what the arrangement is recently. Thanks for your recent observation from Nov 2013. It seems that all clues do appear on a single, larger screen. Maybe at a different point in time that wasn't the case.

Thus, the issue (raised by Mathew5000) of "not knowing where to look when a competitor is bouncing" isn't a real issue. All contestants can choose to look at the same larger screen for all clues.
I'm guessing that's the monitor in question now.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

Great game and was sad Eddie didn't pull out a win.

Ran map, missed Pet Sematary, and shocked no one picked up the Scott from Scotland.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Volante wrote:
koam wrote:Some, you included, say there is another, larger monitor that displays all clues. Joon says that there is another larger monitor that only displays special clues, like images and videos, but that regular clues are only seen on the board.

I'm guessing that's the monitor in question now.
Pretty sure it's new for that monitor to show all the clues. I may have lost my mind in the last 2-ish years, but I recall that one being used only for special clues. Now I'm curious about this too.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

My taping was three years ago, and I distinctly remember all clues being on the big monitor that also displayed the categories. I think there was a smaller monitor that was only for special clues.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

thank you all for answering